• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Campaign live on Fig

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Just have to wait until payday. Going physical collectors for sure. Good thing ive got a lot of rice stocked up. i could also walk to work (11 miles round trip) for a bit and do the signed Elite copy.

edit:

How was White March? i seem to recall it being kind of an add-in style expansion for one of the parts while the other was more add-on.. is this accurate?

Dsyndrome

Curious why they chose Fig instead of Kickstarter based on their success with the first one.
Feargus Urquhart is on the board of Fig, and I don't believe Fig was around when the original PoE was proposed. They don't have to give Kickstarter a cut via this method, and it appears to not be hurting them.

Curious why they chose Fig instead of Kickstarter based on their success with the first one.

1. Feargus is a partner in Fig.

2. Feargus hopes that through Fig they can recruit a stable of investors that will be a resource for Obsidian going forward.

How was White March? i seem to recall it being kind of an add-in style expansion for one of the parts while the other was more add-on.. is this accurate?

WM was cool. Most of the expansion content occurred in an entirely new location. Both brought in new companions--one of whom was a favorite of mine. The second part had some pretty spectacular battles (both mandatory and optional) and interesting lore developments. Plus a new subplot running through the Caed Nua made the stronghold more fun.

The patches to the base game were also welcome. Combat became far less focused on front-line engagements. Soulbound items answered some of the more common criticisms of PoE itemization. The ability to take light versions of other classes' abilities opened up new build possibilities. I strongly recommend WM to anyone who enjoyed the base game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea they don't have to pay Fig a cut since they are co-founders of Fig. They can also theoretically raise a lot more money via investment then they would on Kickstarter.

The Wart

Man... I'd be honored to!! How many folks are interested?

What's the best medium these days to use for accepting donations without any fees or repercussions? I don't have disposable money as I used to have lol.

Last time, I used PayPal.

1152834.gif

StereoVsn

Oh hell, I am going to back this after all. I wasn't a huge fan of PoE but the new improvements sound like going from BG1 to BG2 (there is always a chance :p).

- Much more dynamic spell effects and updated spell casting system (OG was fairly bland, uninteresting and uninspiring)
- Dynamic weather, updated graphics, streaming tech (well, all of that is certainly great, and game looks quite a bit better)
- Better AI (enough said, hopefully applies to companion AI and decent AI scripts you could set)
- Improved combat and encounters (that's what was amazing in BG2, encounters and hopefully this can deliver a better job vs OG PoE)
- Improved itemization (more souldbound items, items change look of the characters, etc...)
- Party size is now 5. Shouldn't affect things either way
- Multiclassing - well, this should make character classes more interesting.

All in all, this is worth either $30 or $45. The only thing is I am not a fan of FIG and avoided that platform so far. Oh well, I guess I'll give it a shot, hoping for the best.

One thing though, anyone who thinks Q1 2018 is going to be release date... yeah, that is not going to happen.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

What's the best medium these days to use for accepting donations without any fees or repercussions? I don't have disposable money as I used to have lol.

Like, set something up like we had for the GAF inn? I'm interested.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
WM was cool. Most of the expansion content occurred in an entirely new location. Both brought in new companions--one of whom was a favorite of mine. The second part had some pretty spectacular battles (both mandatory and optional) and interesting lore developments. Plus a new subplot running through the Caed Nua made the stronghold more fun.

The patches to the base game were also welcome. Combat became far less focused on front-line engagements. Soulbound items answered some of the more common criticisms of PoE itemization. The ability to take light versions of other classes' abilities opened up new build possibilities. I strongly recommend WM to anyone who enjoyed the base game.

Thanks for the summary. PoE replay w/WM just jumped to the top of the queue.

The only thing is I am not a fan of FIG and avoided that platform so far. Oh well, I guess I'll give it a shot, hoping for the best.

Has anyone who's come out to say "I'm not a fan of Fig" or "why Fig?" actually explained what they don't like about it? Because I'm kinda out of the loop. This is maybe the first I've hard of it I think?

That said.... I'd gladly back this sucker. I still haven't finished the first but I loved what I played. I probably have to start all over though because I have no clue where I left off :(

Ingram

After that trailer I will be going for the digital edition. Loved PoE but this looks leagues better. Can't wait!

Vaporak

The $30 tier is a great deal for an Obsidian CRPG. I've been happy with the first Pillars and Tyranny so I'll gladly put a bit of money down ahead of time for this.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Screw it, I just pledged. Still need to play through the first game in my backlog, can't believe it's almost two years old!

Altazor

I'm so glad it's gotten 700k so far in less than 24 hours since it went live. It's not record-shattering like "omg it reached the goal in 3 hours! omg!" but still, bodes well IMHO :)

hemtae

I'm interested.

I don't know what the best option is but both RPG Codex and RPG Watch use paypal for this kind of thing.

I'm so glad it's gotten 700k so far in less than 24 hours since it went live. It's not record-shattering like "omg it reached the goal in 3 hours! omg!" but still, bodes well IMHO :)

Very surprised they didn't go for a higher goal to begin with. They can easily hit just 2 million without stretch goals.

Good on Obsidian.

Very surprised they didn't go for a higher goal to begin with. They can easily hit just 2 million without stretch goals.

Good on Obsidian.

Doesn't seem like they need to. Project seems to be reasonably full funded even without the KS. Seems like the KS is just being used to expand the scope a bit and drum up a bit of publicity.

Kinda similar to D:OS 2.

I'd chip in for gaf island but if we don't make it to $5 grand would I get my money back

Yes. I will refund it all. Or I would pay the rest from my pocket if the remaining amount is in the low hundred.

Last time, I paid $700 off my pocket, and it was well worth it. Some folks were too generous and paid good money.

GAF Island or bust. I would be in.

Okay. Give me till Friday night, guys. I'm going to work this out!

Yes. I will refund it all. Or I would pay the rest from my pocket if the remaining amount is in the low hundred.

Last time, I paid $700 off my pocket, and it was well worth it. Some folks were too generous and paid good money.

Okay. Give me till Friday night, guys. I'm going to work this out!
Man that's pretty awesome that you did that!

Hope you figure it out. Now I feel more invested in this idea, lol.

StereoVsn

The first campaign helped kick off the KS craze, that doesn't happen anymore.
HBS took in a bit over $2 mil with BattleTech. Divinity 2 got about $2mil as well.

So, I think POE2 will end up around that $2 mil mark, maybe a bit more and that should be alright especially with the way FIG is setup (still feel it's a bit shady).

bjaelke

75% of the goal reached in just 12 hours. Hopefully we'll be seeing the stretch goals by the end of the day (Friday).

The Dude

It's so awesome seeing this genre back, I loved it back in the 90s with Baldurs, and Icewind etc... Such a beautiful thing seeing isometric crpgs get love again and make an awesome comeback in such a great way the last few years.

Arulan

If one of them is romances I'm upping my pledge to the CE.

giphy.gif

Seriously though, for it to be done well, it would require a significant time investment from the writers, and unless it's essential to the plot, I don't think it's worth delving into.

Brokun

It's so awesome seeing this genre back, I loved it back in the 90s with Baldurs, and Icewind etc... Such a beautiful thing seeing isometric crpgs get love again and make an awesome comeback in such a great way the last few years.

I'll drink to that!

TCa2Cg.gif

I'm in at $45 for the premium digital version.

I'm in CRPG heaven right now and it's amazing. Keep 'em coming!

dude

dude
All you romance haters don't remember how awesome those were in BG2?
Romances add a lot to the game if done right, and it really saddens me so many CRPG fans became so vehemently against them because of a few rotten implementations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is paying with credit card our only option on Fig? No Amazon Payments, like on Kickstarter? Any chance of paying with PayPal (or at least after they hit their inital goal)?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
All you romance haters don't remember how awesome those were in BG2?
Romances add a lot to the game if done right, and it really saddens me so many CRPG fans became so vehemently against them because of a few rotten implementations.

"Awesome". The romances in BG2 are pure 100% unadulterated cringe.

peakish

I play Bioware games pretty much exclusively for the romances (as cheesy and limited as they are it's nice when some games are about social interaction) so I'm not principally against them. Don't really care if they are in or out of PoE though.

CloudWolf

Romances are weird and games are better off without them IMO, except when it's vital to the lore/plot of the game (see: The Witcher 3 and Yennefer).

Durante

Most of the (PC) romances in BG2 were forgettable -- those that weren't you couldn't forget because of how bad they were :p

Anyway, given the time and effort a good romance implementation would require, I'd rather not have them.

dude

dude
Most of the (PC) romances in BG2 were forgettable -- those that weren't you couldn't forget because of how bad they were :p

Anyway, given the time and effort a good romance implementation would require, I'd rather not have them.
what? Viconia and Jaheira were both great. Aerie was a bit awkward, but still far from bad.

I think intimate relationships with companions - not just in terms of romance, but in terms of actual deep connection, was noticeably missing from PoE for me. Implementing deeper relationships, whether romantic or not, is exactly where I want them to spend their resources. I don't think it takes more effort to write a successful romance than a successful intimate friendship.

Urthor

Viconia's wasn't bad. Rest were eh definitely

Top Bottom