• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Finalow

It doesn't really matter. It doesn't really feel like a "Part 1". If it wasn't for a vague mention in the ending voiceover, it wouldn't have felt like a "Part 1" at all.

Obviously we don't quite know how Part 1 and 2 content will connect, and feasibly they could add sidequests to the Part 1 areas through Part 2, but as it is right now it felt really self-contained.

The expansion has very low-feeling stakes. You're helping a small fishing village to boost its economy by braving a dungeon to turn on a forge. I enjoyed it, but a lot of people complain that it didn't really feel tied into the main story or like it had an "epic" narrative of its own.

I like the new companions well enough, but one doesn't get a companion quest at all, and the other's companion quest is one of the shorter and more simple ones.

It's more Pillars, basically. A new town and a couple surrounding areas, new sidequests, and a new large dungeon that is pretty satisfying as far as large Pillars dungeons go. For hardcore types there's a new dragon to fight and a level 14 siege quest, but I poked at those and realized I just don't have the stuff for it. Whether that's "worth it" is up to the individual, I can definitely see people answering "no", but it was for me.
I see, thanks for the write-up.
I'm going to finish the main story first and then I'll decide if I want to get this expansion (now) or not.

Any tips for getting gold quick? Im still in the beginning of act 2 on normal and most of my gold is spent on stronghold upgrades, and can't afford decent weapons and jewelry from stores.

bati

Once you start progressing through act 2 you'll be drowning in gold. Kill a few groups of mobs, loot everything, visit the nearest merchant and sell all the unenchanted and Fine gear.

Finalow

the (act III)
undead Raedric
fight on PotD was fucking insane. the minions he gets there are so stupidly deadly.

I ended up ''cheesing'' that fight and won after a lot of retries. got 32000 exp. 32 THOUSAND. what? Lol. went from level 9 to almost 11.

the (act III)
undead Raedric
fight on PotD was fucking insane. the minions he gets there are so stupidly deadly.

I ended up ''cheesing'' that fight and won after a lot of retries. got 32000 exp. 32 THOUSAND. what? Lol. went from level 9 to almost 11.

Only reason I'm going to finish that quest is for endgame story purposes. I don't need the EXP.

Shepard

Siege of Cragholdt on Path of the Damned is absolutely absurd. I'm progressing but each mob feels like a main campaign boss fight. When common war priests have 100+ to all defenses, you know shit got real.

ZZMitch

Siege of Cragholdt on Path of the Damned is absolutely absurd. I'm progressing but each mob feels like a main campaign boss fight. When common war priests have 100+ to all defenses, you know shit got real.

Lol yeah I walked in that place yesterday thinking I needed to go through there to get to White March and almost died fighting the two mercs at the entrance.

Tenebrous

What's your party comp/level? I went there at level 11 or 12 and I didn't have that many issues.

Shepard

Lol yeah I walked in that place yesterday thinking I needed to go through there to get to White March and almost died fighting the two mercs at the entrance.
My whole lv 11 team almost died to the drunken Orlan, it's rough, lol.
What's your party comp/level? I went there at level 11 or 12 and I didn't have that many issues.

I managed to beat everyone in the outside area. I tried approaching a particular troublesome mob at the left side of the map from below and it was way easier this way :p
I'm lv 14. I only need to finish the inside of Craigholdt and Sun and Shadow to finish my 2nd playthrough (all quests, all hunts, just need to finish the dragons, but I don't think I'll have enough patience for them, at least not on PotD).

Edit:Just defeated the the
adra dragon
on PotD. Holy shit that was hard.

Finalow

''easy way'' to kill the dragon is to petrify + throw everything at it while petrified.

and I wrote ''easy'' because it's not actually that easy, it took me a lot of retries, even with the +accuracy spell. (without it I have no idea how I'd have done that) maybe the trap has 100% accuracy.

also they buffed that dragon, not sure when though. I saw some video before the buff where it gets killed much more easily.

Shepard

''easy way'' to kill the dragon is to petrify + throw everything at it while petrified.

and I wrote ''easy'' because it's not actually that easy, it took me a lot of retries, even with the +accuracy spell. (without it I have no idea how I'd have done that) maybe the trap has 100% accuracy.

also they buffed that dragon, not sure when though. I saw some video before the buff where it gets killed much more easily.

Yep, Scale Breaker + Positioning + Scroll of Valor + Paralysis + Petrify + Desintegration + Pray that he wont use breath at the start of the fight. Alpine dragon is on another level, though. Finished the game and clocked 140 hours between 2 playthroughs. I'll take a break from it so I wont be burned before Part 2.
Also, that druid spell, Venombloom, is amazing.

AcAnchoa

I'm finally at the end of the game and

how the hell are you suposed to kill Thaos? I've managed to kill the statues while maintaining the group in good shape and then every thing I throw at Thaos fails to connect and he dominates or confuses every one.

Think I'll give it some rest and come back tomorrow.

Shepard

I'm finally at the end of the game and

how the hell are you suposed to kill Thaos? I've managed to kill the statues while maintaining the group in good shape and then every thing I throw at Thaos fails to connect and he dominates or confuses every one.

Think I'll give it some rest and come back tomorrow.

Well, you can
paralyze and petrify him, so stack on scrolls/spells. Once they connect, fight is over in 2 secs.

Varna

Why does this game run like absolute shit now?

I have a pretty good machine but this game is constantly dropping frames and stuttering now. I just restarted too so I'm only in the tutorial area.

Eusis

A little frustrating too in that it's one of those games that should run well even on ancient crappy laptops that have half competent dedicated 3D, yet it's a pain and likely to crash!

Funnily enough that's still more than Serpent in the Staglands got me.

Caronte

Why does this game run like absolute shit now?

I have a pretty good machine but this game is constantly dropping frames and stuttering now. I just restarted too so I'm only in the tutorial area.

Because Obsidian. It was even worse in the 2.00 patch.

Varna

Haven't played the expansion, but last I checked the performance was... unfortunate. I just assumed it was a Unity thing.

Wasteland 2 uses Unity as well doesn't it? That game runs pretty well.

I can't remember the last time I played the game. It was certainly before Perception added accuracy (great change by the way). Performance definitely took a hit when lots of enemies were on screen but it ran pretty flawless everywhere else. This is a pretty drastic change. Fortunately this is one of those games were it doesn't matter much but it just annoying when the screen panning isn't smooth. :(

I'm on a 980GTX and i7-3770K in case anyone is wondering.

Wasteland 2 uses Unity as well doesn't it? That game runs pretty well.

I can't remember the last time I played the game. It was certainly before Perception added accuracy (great change by the way). Performance definitely took a hit when lots of enemies were on screen but it ran pretty flawless everywhere else. This is a pretty drastic change. Fortunately this is one of those games were it doesn't matter much but it just annoying when the screen panning isn't smooth. :(

I'm on a 980GTX and i7-3770K in case anyone is wondering.
I actually found Wasteland 2 to run even worse. Most of it was OK, but there were some areas that were almost single digits for whatever reason. Didn't help that the visuals are so muddy, either.

I'm beginning to wonder if this was an AMD thing. I played through both with a Radeon HD 7770 which was not enthusiast-level by any means but still managed decent performance for most games. I want to say every Unity game I played with it had comparatively terrible performance vs. other stuff, and looking at the Unity games list only reinforces this thought.

Now that I have an Nvidia card (GTX 970) I'll have to check them out again some time and see how it's improved. Perhaps when Pillars' full expansion hits, or WL2 Console Edition.

Shepard

Yeah, game runs like shit in some areas, and I have a 980. What bothers me is that Numenera is using the same tech as Pillars, so I think it'll run just as bad.
Also, I'll go for the triple crown achievement, what's the best class? Rogue with max stealth?

hemtae

Yeah, game runs like shit in some areas, and I have a 980. What bothers me is that Numenera is using the same tech as Pillars, so I think it'll run just as bad.
Also, I'll go for the triple crown achievement, what's the best class? Rogue with max stealth?

Torment upgraded the engine to unity 5 so there might be some performance improvements there.

Labadal

Pillars of Eternity ran great for me other than it having long loading times. Wasteland 2 ran like ass on my PC. If I ever play the EE of W2, I hope it actually runs in a decent fashion.

1.5 GB update has dropped on Steam. No idea what it does. I don't see any patch notes.

I suddenly remembered why I disabled auto-updates in the first place.

Shepard

2.02 Update
Major Fixes
GOG Galaxy achievements now work.
A party member using a movement speed modifying item now should walk at the same speed as the rest of the party outside of combat.
Added more optimizations for save and load.
Fixed an issue where some players were not able to talk to the Steward of Caed Nua to start The White March quest lines.
Fixed issues with Respec not working correctly with some edge case abilities and talents.
Fixed some problems that were being reported with self-targeting abilities (Like Frenzy).
Fixed problems with chanters not being able to set their chants properly after they have retrained.

Abilities
All Summoned weapons are now considered universal weapon type.
Fixed a number of issues with Nature's Bounty.

Items
Soulbound weapons are properly unbound when the bound soul dies.
Fixed issue where weapon switching recovery could go negative.
Draining Item Mod should only drain 15% attack speed now.
Shadowflame from Ninguath's Grimiore is now 4th level.
Removed enchantment cost of the Cumbersome item mod.
Lowered the enchantment cost for Spellstriking Confuse and Spellstriking Thrust of Tattered Veil.

Quests
Small Balance changes to the Alpine and Sky Dragon attacks.
Fixed a number of issues with the Devil of Caroc's reactivity in the soul awakening quest.
The Hunter's Favor should properly resolve if Thyrsc and Suldrun are killed before completion.
Stronghold attacks can now happen if the player level is over 13.
Caroc and Zahua now have a place in the stronghold.
Alpine Dragon is now set to never gib.
Vamrel's conversation will only fire once now.

Miscellaneous Notes
Quick items on the ability bar are now sorted by slot.
Afflictions display like other status effects on the party bar.
Fix a number of hotkey binding issues and bugs.
Accuracy for Bestiary entries now account for stances and shields.
Fixed a problem with Accuracy being reported incorrectly until the party enters combat.
Nice walking speed fix, I complained earlier in the thread about it. Also, looks like they balanced the Alpine dragon a bit, will definitely try to kill him now.

Shepard

That walking speed "fix" is killing me. I always sent out a guy in advance to disarm traps and scout.

Yeah, now you have to select them individually and scout alone before fighting. That's the way I used to do, so it kind of didint matter for me, but I can see it being annoying.

accx

So, i'm trying to configure Pillars of Eternity in a way that i can stream it to my laptop.
The thing is, i'm running 16:10 (1680*1050) on my desktop while my laptop is running at 16:9 (1366*768). It works fine but it will result in black bars on the side.
So in order to remove the black bars i have to set the game to windowed and use a resolution that will fit properly on my laptop (e.g 1600*900).
That's all fine and dandy, but..
I'm also running GeDoSaTo for downscaling, and it crashes when running in windowed mode.
So what i have to do is disable GDST before streaming it on my laptop, or live with the black bars.
It's a minor annoyance but i was wondering if anyone had any luck with running this game through GDST and in windowed mode?
I've tried running a custom resolution, and DSR but none of those actually downscales when running on the desktop. Unless i change the resolution to match the corresponding resolution that i'm downscaling from in windows first, which also creates a minor annoyance.

Ideally i'd like GDST to be active all the time so i can switch between my desktop and laptop without having to change settings and whatnot. I can of course live with the black bars and everything works fine as i said but i might as well ask and see if anyone else might've had any luck with this.

aravuus

So, I guess PoE isn't very mod-friendly? I was hoping there'd be some fun mods around for the second playthrough I'm gonna do when the next DLC hits, but it looks like there's barely anything.

Hell, I'd be fine with just a way to modify the XP table.

Conezays

Quick question:

I beat POE at release, but just grabbed the season pass recently. Do I have to do a new playthrough or can I just jump back into my old save? Cheers.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Quick question:

I beat POE at release, but just grabbed the season pass recently. Do I have to do a new playthrough or can I just jump back into my old save? Cheers.

You can use any existing save from before the "point of no return" that happens prior to the final fight.

gurm3n

Neo Member
Hey there! I just finished the game and I was about to start with the White March expansion. Do you guys know what level am I inteded to be? I was thinking about creating a new character in order to play the expansion and checking out another class, and it seems like a great opportunity to do so.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Hey there! I just finished the game and I was about to start with the White March expansion. Do you guys know what level am I inteded to be? I was thinking about creating a new character in order to play the expansion and checking out another class, and it seems like a great opportunity to do so.

I think its default level is around 7,

Varna

I think its default level is around 7,

I did feel like a wimp for not scaling the encounters (my group is level 9) but some of them are brutal on PotD even at my level. One in particular was ridiculous. My people were being stunned and knocked around like nothing. The new AI mechanics just love to hunt down casters too.

I am planning on buying the Champion Edition for 14,99 €.

But I don't know how it'll run on my system as it's kinda old, maybe you can help me with that, this is my system:

AMD Phenom II x6 1045t,
2048MB HIS Radeon R9 270 iCooler Boost Clock Active,
4GB DDR3 Ram.

How will it run on that system ?

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member

But I don't know how it'll run on my system as it's kinda old, maybe you can help me with that, this is my system:

AMD Phenom II x6 1045t,
4GB DDR3 Ram.

I ran it well on an AMD Phenom II X4 840T and a Geforce 8600 - a mid range card from 9 years ago. So unless something has changed, I'm going to guess your rig will hand it very well.

I ran it well on an AMD Phenom II X4 840T and a Geforce 8600 - a mid range card from 9 years ago. So unless something has changed, I'm going to guess your rig will hand it very well.

Thanks, 15 bucks is a steal then.

Edit: 4GB RAM also okay? Because it says recommended 8gb.

Eusis

With a 64 bit system, hopefully. There were issues with 32-bit systems having it crash early on when loading the first town and that was on an older laptop I had with 3 GB of RAM. It got patched, but it still rain pretty poorly.

Raphael

AMD Phenom II x6 1045t,
4GB DDR3 Ram.

IT run perfectly well on my x4 955, 4gb ram, hd5770.

Altazor

Preliminary Patch 2.03 Notes!

Hey, everyone. We have a new beta up on Steam for you guys. Here are the preliminary update notes.

Steam Controller:
Pillars of Eternity now has support for the Steam controller. The default template will be set once the update is live.
There is a suggested configuration that can be found on the templates that are accessed in Steam's big screen mode.
New key bindings have been added to support additional actions needed for the Steam controller control schemes.

Fighter Changes:
Base Deflection raised up by 5.
Knockdown gets a 1.20 damage multiplier (no longer gets bonus Crush damage)
Disciplined Barrage raised from +10 to +15 Accuracy
Armored Grace has been scaled from -15% to -20% Armor Recovery Penalty
Clear Out base Crush damage increased from 10-16 to 15-22. Scales every 3 levels after 7 by 15%.
Into the Fray's damage scales every 3 levels after 5 by 15%.

Major Fixes:
Fixed an issue that was causing certain quests to take experience instead of granting it.
Fixed a problem with chanters not being able to set their chants properly after they have retrained.
Fixed an issue where retraining was allowing characters to obtain unlimited skill points.
Using store filters now only shows the appropriate items instead of graying out other items in the store panel.
Fixed multiple issues with the stronghold and how it interacted with DLC content.
Fixed an issue that caused the main character to lose his or her background shortly after character creation.

Party/Companion AI:
Can now enable/disable AI on multiple non-pet characters at the same time.
Fixed issues where AI would not automatically attack enemies.
Fixed issues where AI would engage enemies that were hidden by fog of war.
Fixed an issue where AI casters would cast per-rest abilities despite the option being turned off.
Fixed an issue that caused AI controlled party members to attack other party members that were charmed or confused.
Reviewed and updated what spells/abilities are cast in AI profiles for multiple classes.

Monsters/Enemies/NPCs:
Multiple enemy types have been given immunities to certain afflictions.
These enemy types have had their bestiary updated to reflect these immunities.
Fixed multiple issues regarding NPC reactivity after completing certain quests
Fixed multiple bugs regarding Enemies/NPCs detecting stealthed characters and how they react to stealthed characters that they detect.
Rebalanced requirements for full bestiary unlocks for certain enemies that were not unlocking on easy difficulty.
Added additional bestiary information for multiple enemy types.

Abilities/Talents:
Minor Grimoire Imprint has had multiple fixes and now works as intended.
Fixed an issue with the Ranger's Stalker's Link ability adding too much accuracy in some situations.
Fixed an issue that caused certain buffs and abilities to persist after combat ended.
St. Ydwen's Redeemer's Revive the Fallen ability now works correctly.
Fixed an issue that allowed Chanters to choose an extra talent.
Fixed an issue where the debuff "Bonded Grief" would not be removed after reviving animal companions.

Quests:
Fixed an issue with The Siege of Cragholdt that kept the quest from progressing.
Fixed an issue with the Grey Sleeper questline that would cause it fail after completing it.
Fixed multiple issues with the "Sacrificial Bloodlines" quest.
Fixed an issue that would break game progression after talking to Maerwald.
Fixed an issue that didn't allow the player to complete the game after killing Thaos.

Achievement:
Fixed an issue with the Herald of the Old Flame achievement being awarded prematurely.
Fixed an issue that kept players from receiving White March Part 1 achievements.

Items:
Fixed an issue that caused enchants to be removed when a character retrained.
Fixed an issue that allowed Sentinel's Girdle to be equipped in a ring slot.
Fixed enchantment issues with Badgradr's Barricade.
Fixed an issue where the draining modification on weapons would disappear.
Fixed an issue that caused Sabra Marie to be mis-categorized.

Localization:
Fixed multiple issues with Korean text.

Taborcarn

Nice, steam controller support. This is one of the main games I planned to play with the controller but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Top Bottom