• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Eusis

Nice, steam controller support. This is one of the main games I planned to play with the controller but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Yeah, this is top of the list for games I want to play with the controller. Would like to see impressions when they show up too.

Varna

As someone who has played this game for over 100 hours I really like this latest patch.

There seems to be a lot of bitterness over the added enemy immunities but it really changes the way the game is played. Let's be honest here, on PotD everyone just starts out every encounter with tons of disables. Now that strategy isn't so viable anymore, or at least you have to figure out what will work for each creature. Now you have to focus more on buffing your party and taking advantage of damage skills as well.

Dineren

Banned
Are there any points in the base game where quests you have are no longer available? I just finished the first Act and still have a number of quests incomplete. I'm mainly worried about
Lord of a Barren Land
. I'm assuming since there were no warnings and my quests all seem to be intact nothing has really changed, but figured I'd double check.

gurm3n

Neo Member
Are there any points in the base game where quests you have are no longer available? I just finished the first Act and still have a number of quests incomplete. I'm mainly worried about
Lord of a Barren Land
. I'm assuming since there were no warnings and my quests all seem to be intact nothing has really changed, but figured I'd double check.

I think there aren't, since that quest might be very difficult depending on the difficulty. Still, I'd wait for the opinion from someone more qualified.

Lord of a Barren Land
I've read that some companion quests will be unavailable once act 2 is completed. So finish those before completing act 2.

HereticJ

I've read that some companion quests will be unavailable once act 2 is completed. So finish those before completing act 2.

Not quite true. It will seem that way after Act 2, but just keep doing the main story and you will get the chance to go back and do just about everything. I know this because I was very concerned after finishing Act 2 myself a couple weeks ago only to find that you get blocked off from certain quests very temporarily.

Varna

Not quite true. It will seem that way after Act 2, but just keep doing the main story and you will get the chance to go back and do just about everything. I know this because I was very concerned after finishing Act 2 myself a couple weeks ago only to find that you get blocked off from certain quests very temporarily.

Spoilers.

Regarding character quest...
you can lose access to one characters quest
. Also
two other interesting quest

No, because once act 2 is finished,
Brackenbury sanitarium will not be accessible, even after the riots.

Playing through this since trying it at launch, are strongholds worth the investment? I've probably pumped over 6k gold in it so far, with a lot more security than prestige, I've ended up collecting nothing the first time, bandits stole it all, then 120 gold the second time (stealing 500 gold). I've got 8 guards on my payroll that are just soaking up gold, doing nothing. Now I had them auto resolve a battle and the monsters ended up destroyed 3 of my buildings. So I'm thinking of just washing my hands of the whole damn thing.

Playing through this since trying it at launch, are strongholds worth the investment? I've probably pumped over 6k gold in it so far, with a lot more security than prestige, I've ended up collecting nothing the first time, bandits stole it all, then 120 gold the second time (stealing 500 gold). I've got 8 guards on my payroll that are just soaking up gold, doing nothing. Now I had them auto resolve a battle and the monsters ended up destroyed 3 of my buildings. So I'm thinking of just washing my hands of the whole damn thing.

Word on the street is White March 2 is gonna buff them.

Word on the street is White March 2 is gonna buff them.

That'd be nice, I'm just surprised it didn't have any pay off, usually investing in strongholds is a smart choice.

Loving it so far, just like most CRPG it takes awhile to get into the groove of it. Seeing my barbarian carnage everything is delightful.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Just started this game, hope to play enough of it to give it an honest ranking for the GAF awards. So far so good.

What's the verdict on the expansion pass?

Holy shit, sounds worse than MGSV!

bati

What's the verdict on the expansion pass?

Definitely worth it. The first part alone gives the game some much needed meat - new maps and quest hub in particular enhance that feeling of a proper rpg adventure. Honestly, I thought the game was a little small in scope before I've played it with the first part of the expansion.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I really need to get back to this. I started a new playthrough with the xpac, but was having a hell of a time with the giant ogre dudes in one of the early new areas and got demoralized into putting it down for a bit.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Definitely worth it. The first part alone gives the game some much needed meat - new maps and quest hub in particular enhance that feeling of a proper rpg adventure. Honestly, I thought the game was a little small in scope before I've played it with the first part of the expansion.

From what I'm reading, the extra content can't be accessed post-game (like in The Witcher 3) and must be played in the middle of act 2.

I think I'm gonna pause this game until the final expansion comes out. I guess I'm playing more Divinity:OS :\

Tenebrous

From what I'm reading, the extra content can't be accessed post-game (like in The Witcher 3) and must be played in the middle of act 2.

I think I'm gonna pause this game until the final expansion comes out. I guess I'm playing more Divinity:OS :\

Partly true.

You can do the extra content at any point between act II and the very final part of the game. Without trying to spoil too much (but putting inside spoilers anyway - nothing regarding characters/lore),
there's a point of no return about an hour from the end of the game. The game auto-creates saves just prior to this, so you can go do any expansion content you want.

Irobot82

Anyone have any build advice on a fighter that can bust through ranks to get to the spellcasters?

Edit: I'm interested in making a party where the fighter isn't always regulated to being tank. Obsidian said early on that that isn't the only purpose of the fighter. I'd like to make one who is a mage killer, breaking through the front line to take out those pesky casters. I'd like to have a chanter/monk as a tank and try my hand with a ranger/barb/priest etc for the rest.

Farks!

Anyone have any build advice on a fighter that can bust through ranks to get to the spellcasters?

Edit: I'm interested in making a party where the fighter isn't always regulated to being tank. Obsidian said early on that that isn't the only purpose of the fighter. I'd like to make one who is a mage killer, breaking through the front line to take out those pesky casters. I'd like to have a chanter/monk as a tank and try my hand with a ranger/barb/priest etc for the rest.

I don't know about that specifically, but since fighters typically have such high defense they can usually break engagements and dash for specific targets without breaking too much of a sweat.

I made a fighter build based around disabling and interrupts. Kind of like a fencer concept, used to be a popular thing to play but I think it kind of got nerfed with all the stuff that's now immune to knockdown. (Not sure about this as I haven't really played to current patch.)

Anyway stat wise you would max perception and intelligence with some Dexterity also. Take Knockdown, Disciplined Barrage, Armoured Grace and Clear Out for abilities. Take Bonus Knockdown, Weapon Focus Noble, Interupting Blows and Vulnerable Attack for talents. I also took Fast Runner and Graceful Retreat, these aren't actually that useful tbh, but they fit the concept and are the only real mobility talents for the fighter. You can use the stealth skill to position yourself around the backline. Gear to look out for includes the Sword of Daenysis (a rapier with high interrupt) and Angio's Gambeson (padded armour with a haste like buff.)

Irobot82

I made a fighter build based around disabling and interrupts. Kind of like a fencer concept, used to be a popular thing to play but I think it kind of got nerfed with all the stuff that's now immune to knockdown. (Not sure about this as I haven't really played to current patch.)

Anyway stat wise you would max perception and intelligence with some Dexterity also. Take Knockdown, Disciplined Barrage, Armoured Grace and Clear Out for abilities. Take Bonus Knockdown, Weapon Focus Noble, Interupting Blows and Vulnerable Attack for talents. I also took Fast Runner and Graceful Retreat, these aren't actually that useful tbh, but they fit the concept and are the only real mobility talents for the fighter. You can use the stealth skill to position yourself around the backline. Gear to look out for includes the Sword of Daenysis (a rapier with high interrupt) and Angio's Gambeson (padded armour with a haste like buff.)

Now that sounds awesome! I love seeing builds for fighters other than just damage sponges.

Speely

Banned
Really can't stop trying out different builds. I am constantly playing two games at a time. Currently pushing through a solo Monk game (alongside a PotD Rogue-led game that's.... difficult) since I have never tried a monk or a solo play. Really fun!

Mine's pretty standard so far (I think... I don't really check.) High Might and Dex, decent Con and Resolve. Intelligence dumped somewhat. Based on the ole predictable Torment spam. I basically utilize corners and doorways whenever possible and use Two-Weapon Style + high Dex to balance out wearing heavier armor for a nice balance of DR vs Wound generation. I thought at first Resolve would be counterintuitive to invest in at all, but I still build plenty of Wounds for Torment spam and live long enough to do so (Moon Godlike is ace.)

It's my first solo attempt, so I am playing on Easy (I am not terribly good at the game yet, tbh) but it's a fun challenge for me. Raedric was a bit tough, and am only now in Defiance Bay, but any friendly advice for solo monk-ery is welcome :)

OK, this sounds so cool I'm bookmarking it so I can do it on my next playthrough.

Irobot82

OK, this sounds so cool I'm bookmarking it so I can do it on my next playthrough.

Same here. I'm debating whether I should create a hired party or everyone or use IEMod to respect all my companions. I love the banter so much I think I'd miss it if they weren't there. Anyone have any experience using the mod?

zkylon

zkylewd
started playing this a few days ago, having a blast, everything i had hoped for and more so far

got a question, are you guys playing on the beta patches? are they generally worth it?

i ask mostly because of the really bad fps drops on copperlane, would be awesome if they had randomly fixed that in the beta

Irobot82

started playing this a few days ago, having a blast, everything i had hoped for and more so far

got a question, are you guys playing on the beta patches? are they generally worth it?

i ask mostly because of the really bad fps drops on copperlane, would be awesome if they had randomly fixed that in the beta

Not likely. They'll have to upgrade the whole game to the latest Unity engine to get any decent boost.

Brashnir

So does this game run like complete garbage for everyone or just me? On my old PC (i5 750, radeon 5850) it would have frequent frame drops in the 40s, and I thought maybe it was just because of my old PC, despite the fact that nothing about this game looks demanding.

But then I upgraded, and I get basically the exact same performance on a 6600k and GTX970. It seems incomprehensible to me that I can't run this at least at a consistent 60FPS. Really I'd think 120 shouldn't be an issue.

Tenebrous

So does this game run like complete garbage for everyone or just me? On my old PC (i5 750, radeon 5850) it would have frequent frame drops in the 40s, and I thought maybe it was just because of my old PC, despite the fact that nothing about this game looks demanding.

But then I upgraded, and I get basically the exact same performance on a 6600k and GTX970. It seems incomprehensible to me that I can't run this at least at a consistent 60FPS. Really I'd think 120 shouldn't be an issue.

It's an engine issue. Everyone has that framerate, especially in the city.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Isn't unity great?

Brashnir

It's an engine issue. Everyone has that framerate, especially in the city.

ugh. oh well. Was hoping it would improve with the upgrade, or something I could fix. Sucks because screen-scrolling is one of the things that makes framedrops the most noticable, and it's a near-constant activity in this game.

Guess I'll just have to grit my teeth and deal with it.

Irobot82

This may not be super exciting to most, but I am proud of myself. I've been trying out a new Chanter Tank build and I managed to defeat the bear solo!

My chanter was literally dead with a Specter summon still swining away. The spirit was almost dead, timer running out. It took one last swing, killed the bear and poofed. Then my chanter got up! I SURVIVED! Hah it was amazing!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I never bother doing stuff solo unless I have to, but chanters are great. My first char was a fire god-like chanter.

Irobot82

I never bother doing stuff solo unless I have to, but chanters are great. My first char was a fire god-like chanter.

Well I wasn't playing for the solo achievement. It's just that I've always had to go back after I picked up Aloth and Eder before I could beat that bear. It was very exciting!

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah must be some feat to beat that bear solo, my cipher got destroyed

also why wouldn't you play godilke, they have freaking fire and horns and stuff

Top Bottom