• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Of Lana | Nintendo Switch & PlayStation | Date Reveal Trailer - April 16

Planet of Lana is coming to Nintendo Switch & PlayStation April 16th 2024!

Get ready to explore a breathtaking world alongside your loyal companion Mui as you navigate stunning landscapes, solve intricate puzzles and overcome mysterious dangers.

What people are saying:
"A masterpiece... one that will stay with me" - Eurogamer
"A beautiful adventure full of mystery, suspense, and charm" - GamesRadar
"A rare gem of a game" - GamesRadar

Nominated at this year's D.I.C.E Awards in the 'Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition' category for Takeshi Furukawa's hauntingly emotive soundtrack, Planet of Lana is the debut game of Sweden based Wishfully Studios.

Inside/Limbo + Miyazaki +

Nintendo Zelda GIF by Digg

Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Love this game. Such a shame there's no physical edition. :-/
Ikr!? A physical deluxe that comes with an artbook would make so much sense for this title considering how gorgeous looking the art in the game is.

I'm still not giving hope though, and I think that someone like LRG or iam8bit will partner with them for a physical release, maybe not right this minute, but perhaps later down the road.

Toots

Gold Member
I think i'll try it since a lot of you guys found it good !

Are they also porting the jokes about the title of the game or were those an xbox exclusivity ?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It is definitely better than Somerville and while I liked some aspects of Brumble better, this is clearly a more confidently made game where the developers have a 100% control of the form. I would still say that Cocoon is a better, more idiosyncratic game but then again it is not exactly a Limbo-type puzzle adventure.

I loved Cocoon, so this is good to hear.

Alan Wake

Ikr!? A physical deluxe that comes with an artbook would make so much sense for this title considering how gorgeous looking the art in the game is.

I'm still not giving hope though, and I think that someone like LRG or iam8bit will partner with them for a physical release, maybe not right this minute, but perhaps later down the road.
It would make sense right? The whole game is like a painting. We can hope. High on Life and Pentiment is getting physical releases through LRG this year

Some people get superrrrrrrrrrrrrrr salty when anyone else saves money or gets a good deal.
Nope, just saying that the devs have shown what their game is worth and I am generously willing to throw 3 GBP more their way. Why would I be salty when games go on sale every other day on Steam, plus as an Indian account holder, I get even cheaper rates. Ain't no one getting better deals than me on games I wanna play. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Alan Wake

Nope, just saying that the devs have shown what their game is worth and I am generously willing to throw 3 GBP more their way. Why would I be salty when games go on sale every other day on Steam, plus as an Indian account holder, I get even cheaper rates. Ain't no one getting better deals than me on games I wanna play. :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I am genuinely and forever happy for you. Thanks for sharing!

I am genuinely and forever happy for you. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks a lot mate. Game is currently on sale on Steam for INR 572. Still too high for my tastes and definitely not what the devs intented considering their release strategy. Will honor dev intentions by waiting for deeper sale or getting it for free via Epic, whenever that happens.

xrnzaaas

Planet of Lana is one of the best cinematic platformers out there. Not too difficult, beautiful locations, some heartwarming moments, pretty much perfect length. I really liked it when I finished it in Game Pass, but it's not really a game you'd want to keep replaying so I'm not going to get the PS version.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Planet of Lana is one of the best cinematic platformers out there. Not too difficult, beautiful locations, some heartwarming moments, pretty much perfect length. I really liked it when I finished it in Game Pass, but it's not really a game you'd want to keep replaying so I'm not going to get the PS version.
Not much replay value, that's true. When it's finished, it's finished. I might play it again sometime when the experience is further away in my head and I've forgotten about most of it. Same with Bramble.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Don't wanna be pessimistic, but

is there any gameplay here?
It plays similarly to Limbo. Nearly every screen stops your advancement to have a physics based puzzle / platforming / stealth segment where you control two characters at the same time to work out your way through. There's no dialogue so story is present, but minimalist. Art design is very strong. Music is pretty good.

There's gameplay the whole time.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Fair enough. It looks intriguing but all the trailers and other bits I've seen don't convey the gameplay/puzzle stuff really.
There are puzzles in the game, but in no way it's something like Cocoon or even Little Nightmares and it's not going to melt your brain. I stopped maybe 2-3 times in total to figure out a solution to the puzzle, the vast majority of them are very easy to solve.

Last edited:
There are puzzles in the game, but in no way it's something like Cocoon or even Little Nightmares and it's not going to melt your brain. I stopped maybe 2-3 times in total to figure out a solution to the puzzle, the vast majority of them are very easy to solve.
I had that feeling when I saw a message in the trailer telling the player that he needs to press a button to jump.

pachura

Played a little bit, reached cave levels. So far... it's so-so. Graphics design - a mix of Flashback and Studio Ghibli - is great, however puzzles, so far, have been very simplistic and uninspired. There are some War-of-the-Worlds-like machines here and there, but game's atmosphere can't hold a candle to the feeling of the overwhelming sadness of Limbo or the dystopian nightmare of Inside...

Last edited:

Pimpollo818

I remember this being a snooze for the first opening hours and dropping it. I recall it being way too easy and boring platforming. It didn't get spicy fast enough for me to stay hooked, like say, Cocoon.

Poppyseed

I remember this being a snooze for the first opening hours and dropping it. I recall it being way too easy and boring platforming. It didn't get spicy fast enough for me to stay hooked, like say, Cocoon.
Disliked both after about an hour. Cocoon isn't even clever, expecting you to solve things exactly the way the developers intended, and getting lost is the norm. Lana was a snooze, too. I can't fathom the high reviews for it. After an hour or two I just couldn't be bothered anymore.

Poppyseed

Played a little bit, reached cave levels. So far... it's so-so. Graphics design - a mix of Flashback and Studio Ghibli - is great, however puzzles, so far, have been very simplistic and uninspired. There are some War-of-the-Worlds-like machines here and there, but game's atmosphere can't hold a handle to the feeling of the overhelming sadness of Limbo or the dystopian nightmare of Inside...
That's the entire game. Limbo and Inside are TONS better games.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Shall I try Bramble The Mountain King then, or are they very similar?
Bramble is nothing like Lana. It's like a weird German dark fantasy version of Little Nightmares. Has a couple great boss fight moments, and there's much more horror elements. Controls are a little finnicky, jumping with a few odd camera angles, but well worth the minor discomfort. I enjoyed both, but liked Bramble more than Lana, not that they really are relevant for comparison at all. Pretty different games.

Poppyseed

Bramble is nothing like Lana. It's like a weird German dark fantasy version of Little Nightmares. Has a couple great boss fight moments, and there's much more horror elements. Controls are a little finnicky, jumping with a few odd camera angles, but well worth the minor discomfort. I enjoyed both, but liked Bramble more than Lana, not that they really are relevant for comparison at all. Pretty different games.
You're absolutely right on all accounts. The bosses were amazing, I thought. The payoff is just great. The payoff for Lana was just meh.

Top Bottom