• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planetside 2 |OT| Closed Beta

Jburton

Banned
Had a great time last night, getting my piloting down ...... jumped in a galaxy and waited for at least three gunners to get on board and we just went from one battle to another touching down (really getting the hang of that) and securing the base.

The Galaxy as a mobile spawn point is awesome, a decent pilot and a squad can change the flow and outcome of a fight and it's a quick way to reinforce a point under attack.

There is nothing more awesome than attacking a point at night and taking a minute, looking up at the stars nd watching a squadron of liberators on a bombing run.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
So following other people on EU01 reporting that their voice comms were fine also I reinstalled PS2 last night and that solved my problems, thank goodness for that because it really was unbearable before the reinstall.

After having a few annoyingly inactive squads (lots of hanging around the Warpgate *waiting*, little action) I finally got into my first decent co-ordinated platoon action last night, although they really did suffer from the old PS1 problem of zerging a base and moving on too quickly and leaving no defences to consolidate the gains. It was amusing seeing a complaint made often in the early PS1 days re-emerge in PS2, and not one that you can easily fix as people want action, and waiting for attackers doesn't really fit with that so I expect the constant motion zergfest to continue for a while at least.

Jburton

Banned
So following other people on EU01 reporting that their voice comms were fine also I reinstalled PS2 last night and that solved my problems, thank goodness for that because it really was unbearable before the reinstall.

After having a few annoyingly inactive squads (lots of hanging around the Warpgate *waiting*, little action) I finally got into my first decent co-ordinated platoon action last night, although they really did suffer from the old PS1 problem of zerging a base and moving on too quickly and leaving no defences to consolidate the gains. It was amusing seeing a complaint made often in the early PS1 days re-emerge in PS2, and not one that you can easily fix as people want action, and waiting for attackers doesn't really fit with that so I expect the constant motion zergfest to continue for a while at least.

It seems a lot of players stay logged in, even when not playing to accrue auraxim and cert points.

It seems a lot of players stay logged in, even when not playing to accrue auraxim and cert points.

I read somewhere there will be an idle timeout at some point to prevent people from farming via idling.

I can see why they do it though, it takes f'ing forever to get Auraxium

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
God I love PS. How do I get into this beta?! Stupid IGN Prime (WTF) the only way?

dorkimoe

are stats not counting anymore? Went on a 5 kill streak and crashed :( but besides that my class ranks or class xp or whatever it is, isnt moving at all. (the bar)

Billen

Banned
I can honestly say that this is some of the best multiplayer I have ever experienced. It's just insane how well it works on my old hd5870, and the gameplay is just awesome.

Izayoi

Banned
Gunplay is very, very solid.

I'm actually impressed. Impossible to find an active squad, but going it alone works well enough (at least right now).

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I can honestly say that this is some of the best multiplayer I have ever experienced. It's just insane how well it works on my old hd5870, and the gameplay is just awesome.

I've said it many times over the years, but in my 1000s of hours of online gaming, no game has surpassed my time with Planetside at its release. Man, that was just so much fun.

mr_nothin

Banned
Seems like the big update for this week is coming tonight! They've also stated that there will be big updates every week going forward. I love this game & it's devs.
I have no clue wtf I'm doing in the game lol
Whats your name in PS2? Also what servers do you play on?

Pennybags

Seems like the big update for this week is coming tonight! They've also stated that there will be big updates every week going forward. I love this game & it's devs.

Maybe they will fix the Skyguard's 1st person recoil along with the general flak buff. It will be glorious to bring even more pain to the Reaverswarm!

MrBig

We've added spotlights on the AI and AV turrets, it should be in one of the upcoming hot fixes -- mot this immediate one, but the one after that. We'll evaluate what sort of performance impact having these lights on the turrets create and make a call.

heh

So small delay on this. The Facilities got updated [with new lighting] and should be in the next beta push but due to a small issue we can't update all the buildings in the small and large outposts. However, please feel free to give me feedback on the brightness of the amp stations, tech plants, biolabs (the facilities not their satellite outposts) after next beta update.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/fighting-in-the-dark.4645/page-14#post-195859

i5 3570k
HD7850 2 GB
SSD drive
Biostar TZ77XE3 Motherboard
8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM

Weird. My specs are pretty much the same, except I use AMD and nVidia, and don't have SSD, but it's almost impossible to play on all maxed when teamfights occurs. SSD hides all the magic?

Arucardo

Finally, client installed and waiting for servers to go back up. Gonna be a long wait, heh. I'll probably stick to EU1 if possible.

Izayoi

Banned
Weird. My specs are pretty much the same, except I use AMD and nVidia, and don't have SSD, but it's almost impossible to play on all maxed when teamfights occurs. SSD hides all the magic?
It's possible it's the SSD.

I run an i7-2600k @ 4.5Ghz and a GTX 580 with lots of RAM and an SSD. Never drops below 30 even in fights with 100+ players.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
SSD is for OS and I have Planetside 2 on it as well.

I'm not overclocking, but I plan on it in the near future. Didn't put on my CPU cooler, need thermal paste, so used the stock fan for the time being.

Was in some big battles, and never saw slow down. Don't think I've been in an "Absurd amount of people" battle yet, though.

Saw the Youtube function in the game, but I think I lowered the quality too much. So, it still looks like a mess in video form. I saw the Twitch.tv Tab, but couldn't switch over to it, does it work?

Lonestar

Heh, that's ALL PS1 was, and that was what, 6-7 years ago?

I'm pissed I didn't get in the beta.

One I did last night, could have been 100 people, between 2 sides. Want to say both sides had like 3-4 tanks, infantry everywhere and a couple of birds in the air.

But a couple days ago (on my older PC, on the lowest settings and render possible) I sludged through some massive battle, with nothing but constant explosions in the night. Was in a large canyon that lead to a base. Even through the 8 fps and muddy graphics, it looked great, but I wonder now how sweet it would look with this new PC.

Side note: overnight I let it download Witcher 2 and GTAIV. Tested them before going into work. Old PC, Witcher 2 wouldn't run, and GTAIV was 10-15 fps on low. Now both are running crisp and clean. Makes a person feel good, spending less than $1000 and DIY.

Lonestar

Yeah, think I'll head into town during lunch and pick one up too.

We need to consolidate better on one server too. I've only really played with 1 other here, InfectedZero.

Yeah, think I'll head into town during lunch and pick one up too.

We need to consolidate better on one server too. I've only really played with 1 other here, InfectedZero.

Haven't tried a EU server, I was going to stick with the US ones. You name a US server, I'm there.

name: EsotericDaemon

Lonestar

Well, right now there are 2 or 4 of us on US West 3 NC. Any other GAF outfits, perhaps larger, I don't know.

Hopefully in the next patch, they'll increase the options of outfits and squads.

Username on that server is Lonemdg.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I'm really surprised at the performance issues some people are having, my rig is a few years old now but I get a more than acceptable experience from it.

i5-750 @ 3Ghz, 4Gb RAM and an ATI 4890, running at 1920x1080, all settings on Medium except Models on High, FXAA disabled via the 'Material3' edit, 50-55fps at NC Warpgate, 30-35fps in big battles.

Although the memory leak issue does show up for me after about 2 hours play, requiring a restart of the game (Shows up as a terrible, but regular "stutter" every 1-2 seconds, even in unpopulated areas).

Pennybags

So apparently SOE are making two big announcements. The more substantial one today, the other tomorrow.

The lesser of the two is probably going to be that Founder's pack, but it absolutely boggles my mind what else they could be announcing that the CEO describes it as "a complete and fundamental shift for SOE that is going to change our industry".

mr_nothin

Banned
So apparently SOE are making two big announcements. The more substantial one today, the other tomorrow.

The lesser of the two is probably going to be that Founder's pack, but it absolutely boggles my mind what else they could be announcing that the CEO describes it as "a complete and fundamental shift for SOE that is going to change our industry".

F2P MMO's will be their thing from now on. I'm betting thats the announcement. Either that or a more open development platform that involves the community somehow.

Top Bottom