• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

x3sphere

Hope that means a lower street price on the new E6 when it launches. $7K is steep but that is my leading candidate right now.

The 65" EG9600 started at $10K so prices are definitely trending downward. With the same level of discounts we saw on the EG9600, I think that price will get close to $3K by year's end.

Peterthumpa

So, I've settled with the Samsung JU7500 instead of the 9000 series. Although I believe that SUHD isn't just a market gimmick but a real improvement, the price difference is big enough to make the choice easy.

I received a new update for my EC930v, anyone any idea what new stuff it brings? I have my TV's location set to The Netherlands by the way, so maybe the update is per country?

I was hoping that maybe the sluggish settings menu would be improved now, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Probably the only real downside of this TV for me.

I recently bought the BenQ RL2755HM monitor for my nephew off the back of a recommendation in this thread. It was to hook up his PS4 to. It's going well so far, looks good in motion.

I think I read somewhere - maybe here - that these monitors are no good for Wii U for some reason or other. Is this correct, and if so, can someone please elaborate why?
Hoping this catching someone's eye that can advise...?

Thanks.

Jigolo

Hoping this catching someone's eye that can advise...?

Thanks.

The only reason I would think these monitors are considered no good by many gaffers is because most Wii U games are 720p so the monitor would have to upscale so it's not at it's native resolution. But I would never go back and get a 720p TV just to play my Wii U. I play my Wii U on a 1080p tv and have no issues with the upscaling and honestly probably could never tell the difference. I guess some gaffers really hate upscaling.

Otherwise this monitor has many benefits over TVs as you've probably already seen in reviews you've read. Fun fact: it's the go to monitor for all major Sm4sh tournaments

Don't worry about GAF. sometimes people are just really really picky

The only reason I would think these monitors are considered no good by many gaffers is because most Wii U games are 720p so the monitor would have to upscale so it's not at it's native resolution. But I would never go back and get a 720p TV just to play my Wii U. I play my Wii U on a 1080p tv and have no issues with the upscaling and honestly probably could never tell the difference. I guess some gaffers really hate upscaling.

Otherwise this monitor has many benefits over TVs as you've probably already seen in reviews you've read. Fun fact: it's the go to monitor for all major Sm4sh tournaments

Don't worry about GAF. sometimes people are just really really picky
Thanks for the info, useful to know. I have untrained eyes when it comes to 720p vs. 1080p. What I can do to test it before purchase is to take my Wii U over to my nephews' place and try it there.

It's reassuring that this is used for Smash Wii U. If it's good enough for those guys...

Tarin02543

Having a PVM 740 in my possession for three weeks now and having seen LG OLED in stores I can say that commercial OLED still has a long way to go.

My next tv will be (hopefully) be a PVM-A250, coupled with a nice 2.1 receiver.

Having a PVM 740 in my possession for three weeks now and having seen LG OLED in stores I can say that commercial OLED still has a long way to go.

PVM?

Another question about EC930v. I found out in the settings that it has voice recognition. How do I use that?

burgerdog

I don't know if a firmware update screwed with the 9300's speaker output recently or if it's my receiver acting up. This is what's happening: I have the ouput on external speakers and the tv will randomly switch to tv speakers when watching cable. This started happening shortly after they updated the FW and that annoying input bubble appears in the center of the screen.

You bought a 7 inch 960 x 540 OLED monitor for 3500 dollars?

farmerboy

For connecting my ps4 am I better off hdmi to tv and optical to receiver

or

hdmi to reciever.

Would the reciever add lag? We always talk about tv lag but never receiver lag. My Denon receiver does have a game mode.

Cheers.

So, what's the smallest good gaming TV that I can get that's bigger than 27" and not a monitor? I've been pretty impressed with the 55 inch W800B, in some ways it's more usable than my KRP-500M with a PQ hit, but I'm curious what I can put on a desk.

mitchman

Gold Member
Would the reciever add lag? We always talk about tv lag but never receiver lag. My Denon receiver does have a game mode.

You can set the receiver to pass-thought the video signal unprocessed, that should not add any lag. Sound is still handled by it, but that adds no lag.

Tarin02543

You bought a 7 inch 960 x 540 OLED monitor for 3500 dollars?

Hi :)

XdvUJJIh.jpg

Fu0exYEh.jpg

or

hdmi to reciever.

Cheers.

I think the answer to that question depends on your specific receiver. I think some are better running HDMI through than others.

Sound-wise, it's always better to run everything through the receiver. It's also more convenient since you will only need to switch inputs on one device. Many TVs will not properly pass through the audio to the receiver, often reducing channels and quality in the process.

As far as input-lag, In my experience with various Onkyo models, the amount of lag added by the receiver is very minimal if any, to the point where it's imperceptible to me. Be sure you are selecting the game mode on the receiver just in case it reduces lag (though I suspect this is just sound-processing) and set your video processing for that input to "Passthrough" so the receiver is not trying to upscale or otherwise molest the signal. If you have any "A/V Sync" or other audio delay settings that try to delay the sound to match the video, you should probably turn those off as well.

You should be fine and you'll get better sound as a result.

GAF,

Just took a gamble on a 48 inch Vizio E-series 2015 from Amazon Warehouse Deals. condition was good, with 1/4" to 1/2" scratches on the screen. Any tips on how to buff those when it arrives?

Price was unbeatable!

Pagusas

Elden Member
GAF,

Just took a gamble on a 48 inch Vizio E-series 2015 from Amazon Warehouse Deals. condition was good, with 1/4" to 1/2" scratches on the screen. Any tips on how to buff those when it arrives?

Price was unbeatable!

I hope you paid less than $80 for it.

ABK

Banned
About 9 months ago I bought a Sony tv (W700B) and it has a terrible amount of overshoot. It took me about 5 months to realize this as it's way more noticeable in darker parts in third person games. Input lag is very low but this is probably my worst purchasing decision ever because now that I notice it all I can see is that shit when playing games and it almost ruins my enjoyment of games. I

It's funny because I would've gladly used a tv with 10-20ms more of input lag if it meant none of this overshoot. I found out it's a VA panel and given my recent research while buying monitors I now know that they're known for not having great motion handling and a bit of overshoot. Is this common in LED tv's under 1,000 or did I just pick the wrong tv?

Reallink

or

hdmi to reciever.

Cheers.

If your AVR overlays a volume or source label graphic on the active image (pretty much every modern unit by default), it is absolutely adding one to two frames of lag (16-32ms, they have hold it for at least 1 frame to modify it with that shit). If there is a feature or mode that turns that off, it's quite possible its adding almost nothing, but you'd have to test to be sure.

On a semi-related note and this is probably the thread to ask. What is the difference between Sony's PVM and BVM. Other than one standing for Professional and the other for Broadcast.
The BVM have tighter panel tolerances than PVM. Other than that BVM series monitors much more electronics hardware for calibtration (e.g. 3D lut), inputs (e.g. interlaced) and analysis (scopes, waveforms etc.)

bvmzulhk.png

Xenus

The BVM have tighter panel tolerances than PVM. Other than that BVM series monitors much more electronics hardware for calibtration (e.g. 3D lut), inputs (e.g. interlaced) and analysis (scopes, waveforms etc.)

bvmzulhk.png

So If I ever win the lottery/powerball buy a BVM. Got it :D

farmerboy

You can set the receiver to pass-thought the video signal unprocessed, that should not add any lag. Sound is still handled by it, but that adds no lag.

I think the answer to that question depends on your specific receiver. I think some are better running HDMI through than others.

Sound-wise, it's always better to run everything through the receiver. It's also more convenient since you will only need to switch inputs on one device. Many TVs will not properly pass through the audio to the receiver, often reducing channels and quality in the process.

As far as input-lag, In my experience with various Onkyo models, the amount of lag added by the receiver is very minimal if any, to the point where it's imperceptible to me. Be sure you are selecting the game mode on the receiver just in case it reduces lag (though I suspect this is just sound-processing) and set your video processing for that input to "Passthrough" so the receiver is not trying to upscale or otherwise molest the signal. If you have any "A/V Sync" or other audio delay settings that try to delay the sound to match the video, you should probably turn those off as well.

You should be fine and you'll get better sound as a result.

If your AVR overlays a volume or source label graphic on the active image (pretty much every modern unit by default), it is absolutely adding one to two frames of lag (16-32ms, they have hold it for at least 1 frame to modify it with that shit). If there is a feature or mode that turns that off, it's quite possible its adding almost nothing, but you'd have to test to be sure.

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely check out any "pass through" options.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So I'm going to be getting a PC soon and I want to switch to a PC Monitor instead of using a TV but I still plan to use my Consoles on this upcoming PC Monitor so I have a few questions and this seems like the place to ask them.

1-I noticed that most modern PC Monitors only have 1 or 2 HDMI ports and that's not enough for me so my question is: Does using an HDMI Switch introduce input lag?

2-Moderm game consoles only go up to a resolution of 1080p so my question is:If I were to get a PC Monitor with a higher resolution than 1080p would the Monitor properly scale/display 1080p when I'm playing my Consoles or just like a TV it will forcefully upscale the image to the Monitor's higher native Resolution?

3-Moderm game consoles don't support a higher Framerate than 60FPS so my question is: If I were to get a 120hz Monitor will the Monitor simply cap the framerate when I play my Consoles or will there be some sort of aversive effect on the image while I play on my Console?

4-Like I said I'm to be using this Monitor for both PC and Consoles so what type of Panel would you guys recommend?

Some feedback is appreciated.

Does using an HDMI Switch introduce input lag?

2-If I were to get a PC Monitor with a higher resolution than 1080p would the Monitor properly scale/display 1080p when I'm playing my Consoles or just like a TV it will forcefully upscale the image to the Monitor's higher native Resolution]?

3-If I were to get a 120hz Monitor will the Monitor simply cap the framerate when I play my Consoles or will there be some sort of aversive effect on the image while I play on my Console?

4-what type of Panel would you guys recommend?.

1) Not in my experience. Before I upgraded my receiver I had run out of HDMI ports so I purchased a cheap 4-way HDMI switch from Wal-Mart and used it for several months. I never noticed an impact from it. Simpler is probably better when it comes to lag.

2) The panel will have to upscale everything to it's native resolution unless you want giant black bars all around the sides. Whether it will do a good job of this depends on the quality of the panel and the electronics in the monitor. I have no experience with monitors over 1080p but the common wisdom is that scaling works best when the panel's resolution is an exact multiple of the source's resolution, i.e. 1080p -> 4K scales pretty well because each 1080p pixel is exactly 4 4K pixels in size. The Samsung 4K TV I recently bought and returned had no problem upscaling 1080p content at all. A 1440p monitor may show artifacts or have black bars. I dunno.

3) Don't worry about this. Consoles will output 60hz no matter what and the monitor will know what to do with it.

4) Will defer to others on this one.

twelver

Hey all need help,

I'm in the market for a new 65in TV approximately 2500 dollar budget. Mostly going to be watching movies and gaming on it. Light in the room is average.

No one single model by any brand has jumped out at me.

Been tossing around Vizio M series, LG UF8500, Sony 850/900C, Samsung JS8500.

I'm not terribly concerned about the features so much as I am the best PQ and the least likelihood that the panel will have problems (light bleed).

Any input or experience with these is appreciated. Thanks!!

tmdorsey

Hey all need help,

I'm in the market for a new 65in TV approximately 2500 dollar budget. Mostly going to be watching movies and gaming on it. Light in the room is average.

No one single model by any brand has jumped out at me.

Been tossing around Vizio M series, LG UF8500, Sony 850/900C, Samsung JS8500.

I'm not terribly concerned about the features so much as I am the best PQ and the least likelihood that the panel will have problems (light bleed).

Any input or experience with these is appreciated. Thanks!!

I have the JS8500 and I love it! The picture continues to impress me more and more each day. The panel does have some light bleed issues, but IMO not bad enough that it takes away from the viewing experience. Haven't done a ton of gaming on it yet, just a few WiiU games, but haven't had any trouble with input lag or anything with game mode turned on.

Just know that where the set will shine is with a good quality input source. Bad signals get exposed on these newer sets.

Closer to $300. Free returns if its crap!

If this doesn't work out, I'll pay the $100 more and get the like new 50 inch. NBD.

Update: Vizio E48-C2 (2015) that was in "Good condition" on Amazon Warehouse Deals had a messed up box with rips in the cardboard and was still sealed on the inside. Batteries were even in the shrinkwrap still.

For $350 thats a really solid deal. I recommend gamers on a budget check out AWD.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
2-Moderm game consoles only go up to a resolution of 1080p so my question is:If I were to get a PC Monitor with a higher resolution than 1080p would the Monitor properly scale/display 1080p when I'm playing my Consoles or just like a TV it will forcefully upscale the image to the Monitor's higher native Resolution?

Some feedback is appreciated.
Do not get a 1440p screen if you want higher res as 1080p does not scale well i learnt this the hard way get 4K before 1440p

Yaari

I was on AVSForums and apparently there'll be showroom models early February already for the new LG OLED line? Hopefully we'll get some reviews that month.

cackhyena

So is oled the best there is now? I walked into a Best Buy not too long ago and the 4K LG oled on display kinda put everything else to shame.

farmerboy

Went into the local Harvey Normans (local electronic/whitegoods store in Australia) for my first little look at potential buys.

Got to say, absolutely miffed why most of the more expensive tvs were showing broadcast television. It looks shit and does not show off the tvs at all. Also surprised that the Sony/LG/Samsung reps don't, in the very least, insist on certain setups to properly display their tvs. LG had one oled on what I think was 4k media and it looked tremendous. A few of the other tvs were showing bluray. I think 4k + HDR will be a significant enough jump from 1080 to entice people.

Anyhoo, every tv/panel type has it's flaws at the moment. But I must admit, the inky blacks of the LG oled certainly had me impressed. Something about the picture just appealed to me.

MrJames

I was on AVSForums and apparently there'll be showroom models early February already for the new LG OLED line? Hopefully we'll get some reviews that month.

Value Electronics will have a 65" G6 in their showroom on 2/1. First allocation shipping out around 2/22. I would expect the same for Best Buy and maybe Amazon. Performance should be roughly the same on all new OLED models so it will be give us our first real look at what the lower tier models are capable of. The release dates mentioned at CES may pertain to a European launch since the site that posted the video is UK based. The US launch might be a few weeks ahead of that if those G6 dates are any indication. So the C6/E6 in March and B6 in April/May if the schedule holds up.

The Samsung UHD BD player is listed with a 2/12 ship date when added to the cart on the Best Buy website so...

itshappening.gif

Hattori

Banned
I'm hoping there is a $1500~2000 4K LG OLED model, anything over that would be very hard to justify as TVs seem to evolve faster and faster nowadays.

MrJames

I'm hoping there is a $1500~2000 4K LG OLED model, anything over that would be very hard to justify as TVs seem to evolve faster and faster nowadays.

If LG wants to get really aggressive with pricing I could see a 55" B6 around $2,000 toward the end of the year.

MrGerbils

Any guesses as to when Vizio will release non-reference series 4k tvs that are Dolby HDR?

I think I'm ready to dip on a 4k TV (along with a beefy new PC when Pascal drops, to actually render 4k), but with HDR so close to getting settled I feel like I should wait it out.

Anyone think Vizio will have a reasonably affordably Dolby HDR tv this year, or is that more likely 2017?

Top Bottom