• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

tmdorsey

Since I had tech issues with my JS9500 I got Costco's Samsung JS850D (which I believe is their store exclusive version of the 8500) to hold me over until new TVs come out.

Man, I really miss the FALD. This has some real crazy edge bleed, the blacks are kinda garbage, and it seems like it only has 2 zones that dim - the top half, and the bottom half.

It's crazy how much quality difference there is between the top of the line, and the mid tier sets.

Did you do any calibration of the set? I have the 8500 and yes it does have some edge bleed, but I find it doesn't distract from normal viewing. Basically I have to be looking for it to notice it. I also wouldn't call the blacks garbage. With that said, I haven't spent extensive time looking at the 9500.

Pagusas

Elden Member
c8yhoee6xdugxt9km83o.gif

How does OLED screen uniformity compare to Plasmas, btw? Is it possible to get "perfect" screen uniformity on one?

Possible, yes. just like its possible with Plasma's and LCD's. The problem is the manufacturing process has too much leeway in that area and the probability is low for a 100% uniform picture. The more expensive the screen the better chance you'll have.

Dewoh

Neo Member
Input lag aside, they also need to improve motion handling/resolution quite a bit before I invest on an OLED for critical viewing/gaming. To be honest, I'm not sure how the 4K models fare at it, but the budget EC9300 I have in my bedroom has awful motion compared to the ZT60 plasma in my "family room," and my main x940c in my HT. Pure blacks are just about the only thing the EC9300 does well in my opinion, because it's not very good at shadow detail either next to the other two. Btw, how was the "screen-door effect" on the EF9500? I'm thinking the higher pixel density makes it a lot less distracting than on 1080p OLEDs.

Inexistant. I've seen the 9300 in stores, and the pixels are giant. Instantly visible. The 9500 is smooth.

Did you do any calibration of the set? I have the 8500 and yes it does have some edge bleed, but I find it doesn't distract from normal viewing. Basically I have to be looking for it to notice it. I also wouldn't call the blacks garbage. With that said, I haven't spent extensive time looking at the 9500.

I'd love to know what settings you're using. I've messed around with it a bit, and found something I think looks ok. But the blacks still are pretty weak.

J-Rod

I have a question pertaining to the upcoming UHD Bluray players.

If I watch a 4k movie on a 4k player connected to a 1080p display, will I get the benefits of downsampling similar to how PC games are downsampled, resulting in a very high PQ?

What about the increased colour range ? Obviously HDR is for 4k tv sets only, so I know I don't have to expect that.

I don't think so. I think downsampling only helps with aliasing which doesn't seem to be a factor in movies. I don't think you will get the benefits of an increased color range either if the tv doesn't support it.

tmdorsey

Inexistant. I've seen the 9300 in stores, and the pixels are giant. Instantly visible. The 9500 is smooth.

I'd love to know what settings you're using. I've messed around with it a bit, and found something I think looks ok. But the blacks still are pretty weak.

I'm using settings a user posted in the dedicated thread for the set over on AVSforums.

You can also try playing around with the Smart LED, Cinema Black, and Dynamic Contrast settings to help with the blacks.

Buburibon

Hey guys, I'd love to get your opinion on this TV?

I really like the feature set and the Roku stuff but I heard that the image quality was "ok" and I dunno about lag for gaming?

Thanks

http://m.bestbuy.ca/?lang=en#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&sku=10358106&lang=en-CA

I'm sorry, I'm not qualified to talk about the Sharp, but during lunch while getting a few necessities at London Drugs, I noticed they had pretty good in-store deals on the Sony W800C. They're great 1080p TVs with 3D, and their PQ is virtually identical to the 4K X810C. Their input lag is somewhere around 38ms, IIRC. The 55" was CAD $899, and the 50" $699, and like I said, those prices aren't advertised so you'd need to pay a visit to your local LD.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm sorry, I'm not qualified to talk about the Sharp, but during lunch while getting a few necessities at London Drugs, I noticed they had pretty good in-store deals on the Sony W800C. They're great 1080p TVs with 3D, and their PQ is virtually identical to the 4K X810C. Their input lag is somewhere around 38ms, IIRC. The 55" was CAD $899, and the 50" $699, and like I said, those prices aren't advertised so you'd need to pay a visit to your local LD.

Ah yeah... That sucks, we don't have London Drugs in Montréal.

Megasoum

Banned
My bad, I had no idea they're only in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba (just checked their company profile for the first time in my life). That sucks indeed!

Yeah. That's OK. I really like what I'm reading about the Sharp Roku TV. I still have no idea what is a good ms delay for gaming on a TV? They tested the Sharp at about 30ms.

Buburibon

Yeah. That's OK. I really like what I'm reading about the Sharp Roku TV. I still have no idea what is a good ms delay for gaming on a TV? They tested the Sharp at about 30ms.

In my opinion anything under 40ms is pretty good with a controller. With a mouse at 60hz you probably want less than 20ms. Yeah, you'll be absolutely fine assuming the 30ms is in fact accurate, and you're playing with a controller. :)

Megasoum

Banned
In my opinion anything under 40ms is pretty good with a controller. With a mouse at 60hz you probably want less than 20ms. Yeah, you'll be absolutely fine assuming the 30ms is in fact accurate, and you're playing with a controller. :)

Awesome thanks. Yeah I'll probably hook up my PC at some point but not for mouse and keyboard.

The LED grid/DSE on the 65in JU7500 is super distracting when panning the camera in games with very bright colors (The Witness). I think I may just go back to OLED.

So I'm in the market for a new TV and this one is available in my country (mexico)

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/w800c?uxtv=aecb

I figured input lag is good for what it is, has lots of inputs and it seems to have dolby/dts passthrough over HDMI to optical (I have an astro mixamp arround)

Would it be a good fit? I also found a 4K model around for not so much, but I assume it's not really worth it because I'm not buying 4K blurays anytime soon and my PC is on another floor.

Lulu23

Does anybody know how up to date this database is?

hdtvtest.co.uk

I want to buy this TV because of the low input-lag.
I'd rather buy on of the newer Android TV ones, but those are said to have higher input lag.
Is that still the case with the 2016 line-up?

Also, does someone know if this TV is the same as the W705B hdtvtest tested? Do differently sized versions of the same model have different input-lag results?

Jigolo

Does anybody know how up to date this database is?

hdtvtest.co.uk

I want to buy this TV because of the low input-lag.
I'd rather buy on of the newer Android TV ones, but those are said to have higher input lag.
Is that still the case with the 2016 line-up?

Also, does someone know if this TV is the same as the W705B hdtvtest tested? Do differently sized versions of the same model have different input-lag results?
2016 TVs won't be reviewed for another 6 months at least

that list is up to date. this is the first time i'm seeing a tv with that low of input lag, WOW 13.5

sizes probably get have different IL but it's around the same ballpark usually. most reviewers only test one size of the tv

good luck finding an old tv like that

Lulu23

2016 TVs won't be reviewed for another 6 months at least

that list is up to date. this is the first time i'm seeing a tv with that low of input lag, WOW 13.5

sizes probably get have different IL but it's around the same ballpark usually. most reviewers only test one size of the tv

good luck finding an old tv like that

Isn't the W705c the same as the W705b just for another market? Can't find any input-lag results for exactly the W705b.

Found the KDL-W48W705c on Amazon.de for a decent price. I'm only wondering if it will also have the 14ms input-lag.

Omlagus

Isn't the W705c the same as the W705b just for another market? Can't find any input-lag results for exactly the W705b.

Found the KDL-W48W705c on Amazon.de for a decent price. I'm only wondering if it will also have the 14ms input-lag.

The "C" or "B" is Sony's year coding. W705C is the 2015 model, whereas W705B is the 2014 model.

If this will have a continuation this year (and I don't know that it will) it would be designated W705D.

mr stroke

got our EF9500 65" OLED up and damn at dat black levels :eek:

proper uncompressed 4k looks incredible on this thing, But coming from a Panasonic ZT plasma I will say the OLED isn't as good. While the blacks and contrast are better on OLED, the video processing and motion smoothness are far superior on the Plasma. Anyone with a 2013 Panny plasma should hold off on OLED until the tech improves. Gaming how ever feels fine, don't notice any input lag (though not sensitive to it)

proper uncompressed 4k looks incredible on this thing, But coming from a Panasonic ZT plasma I will say the OLED isn't as good. While the blacks and contrast are better on OLED, the video processing and motion smoothness are far superior on the Plasma. Anyone with a 2013 Panny plasma should hold off on OLED until the tech improves

Good to know as I have a ZT plasma, love it, incredible picture quality. With prices as they are I'll be playing the waiting game for OLED as the ZT will keep me plenty happy for now, well that and I would like a bigger than 65 when I do upgrade too.

Jigolo

But coming from a Panasonic ZT plasma I will say the OLED isn't as good. While the blacks and contrast are better on LG's OLED, the video processing and motion smoothness are far superior on the Panasonic's plasma.

Fixed. Bolded is the difference maker, not the type of panel.

mr stroke

Fixed. Bolded is the difference maker, not the type of panel.

Agree, but considering LG is the only one making OLED panels (Panny's current OLED is a re badged LG)there isn't much choice at the moment.

And lets not discount LG here, they have made some fantastic high end direct lit LED's in the past.

proper uncompressed 4k looks incredible on this thing, But coming from a Panasonic ZT plasma I will say the OLED isn't as good. While the blacks and contrast are better on OLED, the video processing and motion smoothness are far superior on the Plasma. Anyone with a 2013 Panny plasma should hold off on OLED until the tech improves. Gaming how ever feels fine, don't notice any input lag (though not sensitive to it)

As an owner of both (still own my ZT as well as a 500M) I would pretty much agree. there are some things the EF does better though, but in the end, the video processing and motion on the ZT is better with all sources. Though with the newest firmware most motion issues with the EF have been resolved. The ZT also has slightly better shadow detail, since the EF has near black issues and the ZT is at 0.006 MLL it has better shadow detail, which is strange when you think about it because the EF is pure black, but something about that 2% level it is never 100% precise. It either looks like it might crush it, or it is slightly elevated, mainly in bad sources though blu rays are not that much a problem. Not saying the EF looks bad on sources like cable, but it's more unforgiving with flaws and low bit rate, bandwidth, poorly compressed, or mastered content.

We've yet to see what the 2016 models will bring, and honestly for movies I would say that if you wanted to upgrade now is probably the time to consider, especially if you want 4K, HDR, etc, etc. If you own a 2013 Panasonic, or F8500, or 500M OLED is the natural path to follow.

One thing I find interesting is that having the 3 panels I got and checking content between the 3, having something that displays true pure black is eye opening. I don't look at the ZT or 500M in the same light anymore.

Plus in 7 more days the 4K blu ray player releases, hopefully the movies I ordered will be in also or at least a few. I cannot wait. Going to be quite the experience between 4K, HDR, and Atmos...I'm going to be watching a movie every night lol

Oh and to add, passive 3D on a 4K display is ridiculously good. I'm not a huge fan of 3D, but the difference is pretty impressive.

Good to know as I have a ZT plasma, love it, incredible picture quality. With prices as they are I'll be playing the waiting game for OLED as the ZT will keep me plenty happy for now, well that and I would like a bigger than 65 when I do upgrade too.

If you don't need to upgrade or don't plan on keeping the ZT also I would wait, maybe 1 more year but they are damn close, and I mean damn close. Depending on your watching habits and environment the OLED even now might be a better option though in all honesty.

Boston

Hey guys, can anyone recommend me a good Smart TV for gaming?

My price price point is around $500 and I would like the TV to be 46" or bigger.

mr stroke

As an owner of both (still own my ZT as well as a 500M) I would pretty much agree. there are some things the EF does better though, but in the end, the video processing and motion on the ZT is better with all sources. Though with the newest firmware most motion issues with the EF have been resolved. The ZT also has slightly better shadow detail, since the EF has near black issues and the ZT is at 0.006 MLL it has better shadow detail, which is strange when you think about it because the EF is pure black, but something about that 2% level it is never 100% precise. It either looks like it might crush it, or it is slightly elevated, mainly in bad sources though blu rays are not that much a problem. Not saying the EF looks bad on sources like cable, but it's more unforgiving with flaws and low bit rate, bandwidth, poorly compressed, or mastered content.

We've yet to see what the 2016 models will bring, and honestly for movies I would say that if you wanted to upgrade now is probably the time to consider, especially if you want 4K, HDR, etc, etc. If you own a 2013 Panasonic, or F8500, or 500M OLED is the natural path to follow.

One thing I find interesting is that having the 3 panels I got and checking content between the 3, having something that displays true pure black is eye opening. I don't look at the ZT or 500M in the same light anymore.

Plus in 7 more days the 4K blu ray player releases, hopefully the movies I ordered will be in also or at least a few. I cannot wait. Going to be quite the experience between 4K, HDR, and Atmos...I'm going to be watching a movie every night lol

Oh and to add, passive 3D on a 4K display is ridiculously good. I'm not a huge fan of 3D, but the difference is pretty impressive.

If you don't need to upgrade or don't plan on keeping the ZT also I would wait, maybe 1 more year but they are damn close, and I mean damn close. Depending on your watching habits and environment the OLED even now might be a better option though in all honesty.

Couldn't agree more, where the Plasma really shines is my Directv box. The video processing on the Plasma makes shit compressed cable look really good.

and how do you know the 4k Blu Ray player is coming out in 7 days? Amazon still lists the Samsung UBD-K8500 pre order as unknown.

Couldn't agree more, where the Plasma really shines is my Directv box. The video processing on the Plasma makes shit compressed cable look really good.

and how do you know the 4k Blu Ray player is coming out in 7 days? Amazon still lists the Samsung UBD-K8500 pre order as unknown.

if you actually preorder it, you will get a shipping and arrival date. Amazon is between the 12th - 17th for arrival depending on when you pre ordered. Best Buy is between the same. I have the 12th because I ordered a day after they went up on the site.

Video and Audio center in Santa Monica is selling them today after 5pm.

Fry's says they have them available for store pick up not sure about Fry's though.

Some Best Buys say they already have them in the back but cannot sell them yet for whatever reason.

mr stroke

if you actually preorder it, you will get a shipping and arrival date. Amazon is between the 12th - 17th for arrival depending on when you pre ordered. Best Buy is between the same. I have the 12th because I ordered a day after they went up on the site.

Video and Audio center in Santa Monica is selling them today after 5pm.

Fry's says they have them available for store pick up not sure about Fry's though.

Some Best Buys say they already have them in the back but cannot sell them yet for whatever reason.

SOB you are right :eek:

Might need to drive down to the Sunnyvalle FRYS as they have it in stock to pick up. But curious, are the 4k BR gonna be for sale with the player? if I have to wait until 3/1 then no point in making an hour drive.

J-Rzez

Yeah, not buying the player until movies I want are ready. Also would prefer a Sony, Pioneer, Oppo, Panasonic, or LG player than a Samsung.

Not to mention I think these players are overpriced and trying to further gouge early 4k adopter wallets.

mr stroke

Yeah, not buying the player until movies I want are ready. Also would prefer a Sony, Pioneer, Oppo, Panasonic, or LG player than a Samsung.

Not to mention I think these players are overpriced and trying to further gouge early 4k adopter wallets.

$399 is a bargain considering the $1000 I paid for my first BR player. I am honestly surprised its not more.

Yeah of some proper HDR titles, can't count the Amazon stuff apart from MITHC, I mean Bosch is absolutely disgusting, with its washed out grey almost white blacks, it's like Amazon has put up whatever HDR content it can find, no matter the quality.

Yeah of some proper HDR titles, can't count the Amazon stuff apart from MITHC, I mean Bosch is absolutely disgusting, with its washed out grey almost white blacks, it's like Amazon has put up whatever HDR content it can find, no matter the quality.

Check out MadDogs that looks pretty good

Also best buy just sent an email with a new date of the 10th for the player. Now the movies just need to hurry up ad start releasing.

Check out MadDogs that looks pretty good

Also best buy just sent an email with a new date of the 10th for the player. Now the movies just need to hurry up ad start releasing.

MadDogs was one of the better ones, but I was getting green misting in certain scenes, which was not great to see, like I said the quality control with HDR on Amazon isn't great.

imagem1qnr.jpeg

MadDogs was one of the better ones, but I was getting green misting in certain scenes, which was not great to see, like I said the quality control with HDR on Amazon isn't great.

imagem1qnr.jpeg

That's strange I didn't have that on mine. You should be able to calibrate that out. IIRC that is towards the end of ep.1 on right after cat visit?

That type of stuff can be calibrated out usually. Though in hdr on Amazon app on EF it's locked but that didn't exist on mine. If that is the episode I'm thinking about.

Yes it is, there's a couple of bits like that in the dark scenes, never seen that before on anything! What's best to change on the TV settings do you think? Baffled

Tunic

Hoping to get an answer here. I just purchased the Samsung UN55JS9000 and it is amazing. I am calibrating all of my devices - PS4, Cable box etc. The cable box has a setting for 1080p Pass-Through. Does anyone happen to know what this does and what would the recommended setting be (on or off)?

Yes it is, there's a couple of bits like that in the dark scenes, never seen that before on anything! What's best to change on the TV settings do you think? Baffled

What TV do you have and can you control the settings when watching an App running HDR?

If you can I would look at the 2 pt white balance and CMS if you have those options. I really wouldn't turn down green though in 2PT white balance because that is equivalent to the luminace, and gamma.

As for the model various TV's have different settings that can sometimes fix it. I had that happen a bit on my older X900B, and in slightly different areas on a AX800U (panasonic), while fixing the 2PT either resolved it completely or minimized it to being almost non exisistent, though with the panasonic I could turn on another option and remove it completely but then the secondaries lost the ability to be calibrated correctly.

So sometimes you can either fix it completely or you may only be able to tame it some.

Hoping to get an answer here. I just purchased the Samsung UN55JS9000 and it is amazing. I am calibrating all of my devices - PS4, Cable box etc. The cable box has a setting for 1080p Pass-Through. Does anyone happen to know what this does and what would the recommended setting be (on or off)?

usually on cable boxes that setting is to convert and force it to output everything in 1080p vs it's native resolution.

For some reason I can't get rid of this weird issue on my LG EC930v OLED and it sucks. I talked about this before and it seemed gone but it's not unfortunately.

Basically I get this very weird colored effect in games and in some anime. I've included a shot from GTA 5 on Xbox One, the nightsky looks like that. As if gasoline was thrown over it, I think that would be the best way to describe it. The same happens when I watch anime on Crunchyroll, people's skin or clothing can have that weird effect on them as well. I checked my bro's Sony W829b to see if it would occur there as well, but nope. I've reset the TV picture settings, I have the Xbox One set to standard Colour space and the TV to low black level. Here's an example:

http://imgur.com/LEsZ8Ru

What could I do about this?

A shame Plasma didn't make it longer, I was already experiancing amazing PQ & black levels back in early 2008 thanks to Pioneer: http://i.imgur.com/t5IDzsF.jpg

Oh, absolutely. That Kuro of yours destroys most (if not all) LCD TV's these days in terms of motion and contrast ratio. Wish I had the money for it back then. How much dit it cost you?

Luckily, I also own one of the best plasma's ever made. The Panasonic VT60.
And the PQ of this TV doesn't turn to shit when I enable game mode. Amazing TV.

I will not trade in the VT60 for a current OLED with insane input lag and shadow detail problems. Hell no.

I asked a couple pages back and didn't see any replies.

What's the best suggestion for a 65" 4K TV under $2,500 (thinking more $2,000 but I'm willing to go above if the quality is worth it) that is available from Best Buy. I'm limiting it to there for the no interest financing. If it helps here's a link that should go right to their options that fit.

My last couple TVs have been Samsung so that's always what I look at but I don't follow reviews anymore nor know what makes one 4K TV all that much better than another. Just a top suggestion or two would be good.

One easy thing I see increase with cost is stuff like Motion Rate, MotionFlo, and whatever each company calls that. Is that something to care about or is that post-processing that I'd be better off disabling so having a higher number for that is something to ignore?

Top Bottom