• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Yeah, not buying the player until movies I want are ready. Also would prefer a Sony, Pioneer, Oppo, Panasonic, or LG player than a Samsung.

Not to mention I think these players are overpriced and trying to further gouge early 4k adopter wallets.

I'm really just waiting for the Oppo.

What TV do you have and can you control the settings when watching an App running HDR?

If you can I would look at the 2 pt white balance and CMS if you have those options. I really wouldn't turn down green though in 2PT white balance because that is equivalent to the luminace, and gamma.

As for the model various TV's have different settings that can sometimes fix it. I had that happen a bit on my older X900B, and in slightly different areas on a AX800U (panasonic), while fixing the 2PT either resolved it completely or minimized it to being almost non exisistent, though with the panasonic I could turn on another option and remove it completely but then the secondaries lost the ability to be calibrated correctly.

So sometimes you can either fix it completely or you may only be able to tame it some.

usually on cable boxes that setting is to convert and force it to output everything in 1080p vs it's native resolution.

It's a JS9000, I've had lots of light bleed/clouding issues since one of the updates, so I've spent almost 2 hours today massaging the screen as a last resort before I called Samsung, low and behold it is so much better, like it was before! God knows what happened.....
But the green is still there, trouble is with tinkering with 2pt white balance is there's an infinite amount of adjusting to be done without any professional gear.

I might have to strike it off as an anomaly, but if it happens in anything else of actual quality material, then I'll have to get Samsung involved.

tmdorsey

I asked a couple pages back and didn't see any replies.

What's the best suggestion for a 65" 4K TV under $2,500 (thinking more $2,000 but I'm willing to go above if the quality is worth it) that is available from Best Buy. I'm limiting it to there for the no interest financing. If it helps here's a link that should go right to their options that fit.

My last couple TVs have been Samsung so that's always what I look at but I don't follow reviews anymore nor know what makes one 4K TV all that much better than another. Just a top suggestion or two would be good.

One easy thing I see increase with cost is stuff like Motion Rate, MotionFlo, and whatever each company calls that. Is that something to care about or is that post-processing that I'd be better off disabling so having a higher number for that is something to ignore?

I have the Samsung JS8500 and have been very pleased with it. For the price I got it, 2K on Black Friday, I think it's pretty hard to beat. 4K, 10 bit panel and HDR compatible.

I have the Samsung JS8500 and have been very pleased with it. For the price I got it, 2K on Black Friday, I think it's pretty hard to beat. 4K, 10 bit panel and HDR compatible.

Thanks. I'm heading down there to replace my dying mouse and will check it out in the store. I'm pretty sure that's the one I've looked at multiple times in passing but I'll take a longer look and might just end up picking it up.

It's $2,500 and I believe that's the price I've seen it at other times I've looked at it so I may delay getting this week since it should be at that price often enough? We'll see.

MrJames

I asked a couple pages back and didn't see any replies.

What's the best suggestion for a 65" 4K TV under $2,500 (thinking more $2,000 but I'm willing to go above if the quality is worth it) that is available from Best Buy. I'm limiting it to there for the no interest financing. If it helps here's a link that should go right to their options that fit.

My last couple TVs have been Samsung so that's always what I look at but I don't follow reviews anymore nor know what makes one 4K TV all that much better than another. Just a top suggestion or two would be good.

One easy thing I see increase with cost is stuff like Motion Rate, MotionFlo, and whatever each company calls that. Is that something to care about or is that post-processing that I'd be better off disabling so having a higher number for that is something to ignore?

If you can go a few $100 more, the Sony X930C is down to $2,800 and definitely worth checking out.

If you can go a few $100 more, the Sony X930C is down to $2,800 and definitely worth checking out.

They didn't have this or the Samsung in stock at the location I went to. I'll keep me eye on both. I'd be more likely to go for the Sony if it dropped to $2,500 but I'll consider both options and may just order online within the next week.

They didn't have this or the Samsung in stock at the location I went to. I'll keep me eye on both. I'd be more likely to go for the Sony if it dropped to $2,500 but I'll consider both options and may just order online within the next week.

The new sonys are dropping very soon too. HDR, much thinner at max width and don't have the stupid two remote setup. Google voice search is built into the primary remote instead of having to use a secondary remote.

These should also drive the pricing down on the 2015 models.

I nearly opted for that set, but the absolutely huge speakers and apparently terrible software put me off.

But it is supposed to be a technically great TV.

Wait what?? Terrible software? Android TV kicks the snot out if Tizen and pretty much all smart TVs. Btw speaker sizing was rectified on 2016 models.

Wait what?? Terrible software? Android TV kicks the snot out if Tizen and pretty much all smart TVs. Btw speaker sizing was rectified on 2016 models.

Yep, it had awful problems, buggy, hard locks, you name it. It's probably better now, but it wasn't 2-3 months ago when I was looking.

As a performer it's up there with the best of the 2015 models though, but guess it depends if you want to hang on for a month or so and see what the 2016 models are like, but pass up on the deal.

Yep, it had awful problems, buggy, hard locks, you name it. It's probably better now, but it wasn't 2-3 months ago when I was looking.

As a performer it's up there with the best of the 2015 models though, but guess it depends if you want to hang on for a month or so and see what the 2016 models are like, but pass up on the deal.

Yeah thats been cleared up. Sony was too lazy when bringing android over. Android TV has had some bugs in the os but nothing to that level. Sony seems to have their crap together now and are also dropping android 6 very soon on the 2015/2016 models.

Yaari

Apparently someone on the AVSforums (Robert?, I think he has a dispaly G6 OLED or something) is going to do an input lag test on the new model this week.

Please be good. Haha,

Jigolo

very cool

btw PSA to LG OLED Owners: Seems the automatic firmware update servers are busted. The TV tells people it's up to date but it may not be true.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...els-general/2260106-lg-65ef9500-firmware.html

Latest firmware here for the 65": http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-65EF9500

JUDDER has been FIXED

rtings updated their review + that avs thread above

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/ef9500

very cool

btw PSA to LG OLED Owners: Seems the automatic firmware update servers are busted. The TV tells people it's up to date but it may not be true.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...els-general/2260106-lg-65ef9500-firmware.html

Latest firmware here for the 65": http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-65EF9500

JUDDER has been FIXED

Judder fixed for the 9300 as well?

burgerdog

very cool

JUDDER has been FIXED

Anyone able to grab the 9300 firmware update from that site?

Lulu23

Just bought a Sony KDL-48W705c and overall I'm very happy with it. Coming from a monitor,
I was very concerned about input-lag, but on the 705c it's not noticable in the slightest.

Do you guys have some recommendations for tweaking the settings?

I also seem to have two problems:

When I plug in my Chromecast (2015), I can't acces the TV's settings anymore. I can even unplug the Chromecast, open the settings and watch them close as soon as I plug it back in. Pretty frustrating when wanting to tweak the picture settings. Doesn't happen with other HDMI devices. Any ideas?

Also there seems to be some minor clouding on the left side, only really noticable when you look for it but unfortunately also in some darker/greyer scenes.
Is this still such a general issue with these kinds of screens (My last TV, which I exchanged 3 times to get a tolerable panel.
Don't want go through that ordeal again, but also can't unsee the clouding.

I'll try to upload a photo later when it's dark.

Input lag test on the new G6 LG OLED will be done by no other than David Mackenzie. He's my favorite reviewer from my favorite TV review site. http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk No doubt he will try every option to get the lowest possible input lag.

If only LG can cut the lag into the 20ms range, but honestly? I don't think they can pull this off.

Input lag test on the new G6 LG OLED will be done by no other than David Mackenzie. He's my favorite reviewer from my favorite TV review site. http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk No doubt he will try every option to get the lowest possible input lag.

If only LG can cut the lag into the 20ms range, but honestly? I don't think they can pull this off.
Awesome! Thanks for keeping us updated. After the LF OLED Super Bowl commercial, I am *so* ready for the G6!

MrJames

G6 is a waste for me since I don't need the soundbar so I'm waiting on the E6. I want 3D otherwise I'd wait for the B6. If they still have issues then the X940D is my plan B.

MrJames

Have we seen the 940D yet? I mgiht have to look into that too, if OLED is no option.

Sony announced it with press photos at CES but was a no-show on the floor. I haven't seen a single write up about actually seeing one yet. The X940C was really good so I expect a tweaked version of that without the side speakers. It's not OLED but it will have some advantages over the LGs.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Are there any 4k TV's out now with HDR and the 10 bit panel?

So I don't have to update my TV later.

Jigolo

Excellent,that's what I wanted to know. Are we looking at a fall/winter release or spring?

March - July with most higher end ones coming in the Spring months

You're covered on all ends if those two features are your must haves.

Sony, Samsung, and LG all have those boxes checked

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
March - July with most higher end ones coming in the Spring months

You're covered on all ends if those two features are your must haves.

Sony, Samsung, and LG all have those boxes checked

They're certainly important. Thanks for the info. I'll be holding off until those models are out.

BTW, nobody has any idea how to get rid of this?

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=194493824

Looks like posterization. This occurs sometimes in digital media when the available colors are not sufficient to properly display (or encode) a gentle gradation of color. In the case of video, this is usually the result of heavy compression. In games, it is either a result of limitations of the hardware or the display.

In the case of your game, I would play around with the color space options on both the console and the TV's settings to make sure they match.

EDIT - Also, make sure your brightness and gamma settings (Both on the TV and using the in-game adjustments) are not too high as it will make this far more visible than it otherwise would be.

burgerdog

Is that possible too? I never looked at that. Whenever my TV says there's an update I just install it right away. I'm kind of surprised that the Ec9300 is still damn sluggish, the menu that is. I've never seen a TV menu that sluggish.

My TV was up to date so I didn't have to do this. Not sure about your other problem, post above should be helpful!

MrJames

Are there any 4k TV's out now with HDR and the 10 bit panel?

So I don't have to update my TV later.

The only 2015 models that meet or come close the Ultra HD Premium standards are the Samsung JS9500 and the Sony X940C. The JS9500 was advertised by Samsung as supporting 1,000 nits but reviews have it as high as 920 nits with about 92% DCI. The Sony has been measured at 1,200 nits and about 94% DCI. Sony stated that the 2016 X9 models could pass certification but they decided to go with their own generic 4K HDR logo that can be applied to all of the 2016 models and most of the 2015s.

Looks like posterization. This occurs sometimes in digital media when the available colors are not sufficient to properly display (or encode) a gentle gradation of color. In the case of video, this is usually the result of heavy compression. In games, it is either a result of limitations of the hardware or the display.

In the case of your game, I would play around with the color space options on both the console and the TV's settings to make sure they match.

EDIT - Also, make sure your brightness and gamma settings (Both on the TV and using the in-game adjustments) are not too high as it will make this far more visible than it otherwise would be.

Thanks for the reply man.

Well the colour space on Xbox One is Standard and the black level on the TV is low, so that should be ok. Brightness is the default 50 and gamma used to be high, because i was told this was the correct gamma for the TV, but lately i've been liking the medium setting better for gamma. Sadly this didn't change anything though. I've already reset to the initial settings as well, tried out all picture modes, so very odd. It's crazy how visible it is, especially in GTA V.

The only 2015 models that meet or come close the Ultra HD Premium standards are the Samsung JS9500 and the Sony X940C. The JS9500 was advertised by Samsung as supporting 1,000 nits but reviews have it as high as 920 nits with about 92% DCI. The Sony has been measured at 1,200 nits and about 94% DCI. Sony stated that the 2016 X9 models could pass certification but they decided to go with their own generic 4K HDR logo that can be applied to all of the 2016 models and most of the 2015s.

The trouble is, people are putting too much stock in this premium standards cert, take the js9000 it can 'only' do 600nits but on everything else it meets or surpasses the certification, and yeah these TV's can do 1000nits but to what cost? 600 is plenty enough to give you a real taste of what HDR can do, but also retain good black levels (with bias lighting) and you can see the brightness change easily compared to non HDR's blacks. So my point is whatever brightness you gain with the new TV's you'll lose in blacks thus contrast if you see what I mean. Most of these new LCD's are edge lit.

MrJames

The trouble is, people are putting too much stock in this premium standards cert, take the js9000 it can 'only' do 600nits but on everything else it meets or surpasses the certification, and yeah these TV's can do 1000nits but to what cost? 600 is plenty enough to give you a real taste of what HDR can do, but also retain good black levels (with bias lighting) and you can see the brightness change easily compared to non HDR's blacks. So my point is whatever brightness you gain with the new TV's you'll lose in blacks thus contrast if you see what I mean. Most of these new LCD's are edge lit.

I agree with on the premium cert regarding edge-lits. A taste of HDR is probably all you will get with an edge-lit LCD. They can't do true local dimming like FALD models can so I'm a little suspect when when we hear announcements of edge-lit models that can hit 1,000 nits. OLEDs would be best since each pixel has its own light control followed by FALD LCDs with a decent zone count.

If I don't get an OLED, my only other option will probably be the 75" X940D. It's the only FALD model Sony is offering for 2016.

Is that possible too? I never looked at that. Whenever my TV says there's an update I just install it right away. I'm kind of surprised that the Ec9300 is still damn sluggish, the menu that is. I've never seen a TV menu that sluggish.

That's your grayscale

notice how in the various steps of gray you have various tint of color. it should be more smooth. If you have a correct grayscale it would be a more smooth transition. do you have a grayscale ramp you can look at that isn't in steps to see if it happens there also?

That's your grayscale

notice how in the various steps of gray you have various tint of color. it should be more smooth. If you have a correct grayscale it would be a more smooth transition. do you have a grayscale ramp you can look at that isn't in steps to see if it happens there also?

A grayscale ramp is what you have in these calibration tests? Xbox One has a tool for that where you can set the brightness, contrast etc...correctly. Is that what you're talking about?

Thanks for the reply man.

Well the colour space on Xbox One is Standard and the black level on the TV is low, so that should be ok. Brightness is the default 50 and gamma used to be high, because i was told this was the correct gamma for the TV, but lately i've been liking the medium setting better for gamma. Sadly this didn't change anything though. I've already reset to the initial settings as well, tried out all picture modes, so very odd. It's crazy how visible it is, especially in GTA V.
Is it visible on another display? Take a screen shot and compare. It might be sourced in the game itself.

Is it visible on another display? Take a screen shot and compare. It might be sourced in the game itself.

Hmmm well. I checked it out on my 22 inch HP PC monitor and i do see it there as well, but not nearly as bad. Now of course this being a 22 inch and the TV a 55 inch will make much easier to notice on the big one, but damn. The odd thing is, i did not notice it at all on my brother's Sony W829.

I've now tried changing brightness, gamma, color options like colour temperature and they don't really make much of a difference. I also notice this during anime, skin colour doesn't look all smooth, it has that weird effect too.

Top Bottom