• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

SOLDIER

Maybe I'll get a quicker answer here:

1. This is my current TV: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCGRLUI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

How would the move to KS8000 measure up, in terms of motion, IQ, lag, etc all?

2. I'm considering jumping from 55 inch to 60, but I would like to measure the space on my shelf to see if it'll fit nicely. I'm mainly concerned about vertical space, since there's a shelf right above my TV without much space in-between. How do I measure the difference in height from a 55 inch TV to 60?

3. Most likely I would get this from Best Buy, due to having a 24 month no finance card and good cs history. Is there anything I could say that might help convince them to include a 4K UHD player for free?

I just mainly want to know what the most glaring issues are for the KS8000, because people seem to constantly praise it while simultaneously saying to wait it out for something better.

So, I went to Best Buy to pick up a 55" KS8000 and ended up walking out with the KS8500. I'm kind of in love with it.

I haven't tried the PS4 much on it yet, but know that Game Mode is mandatory. I'm sure i'll learn to deal with it, but the colors are a little washed out in that mode. I don't know if there is much to be done to fix it, but I can't wait to try the PS4 Pro on it.

b0bbyJ03

Alright, so i've had the B6 for about 5 days now, and just wanted to get other peoples take on their experience with HDR TVs. At first the brightness is very novel, it does look amazing and when I show it off I make sure the tv is bright because people generally want to see it jacked up but what I noticed is that if I sit down and watch TV for an extended period of time (I watch mostly at night with the lights on, but set pretty dim) I get eye fatigue from all the brightness and contrast. I set the backlight to 20 (out of 100) and that seems to be the sweet spot for me. Its still brighter than my Panny ST60 was but its very comfortable and still looks stunning. Anyone else do this or do you all just keep the backlight high?

P.S. is also makes streams look perfect. With high backlight you can see the digital noise/compression artifacts but the way I have it set now hides all of that.

KillGore

Just a heads up. B6 is below $2,000 on Amazon and Best Buy.

Wish I could get it, but they don't ship to PR. Wonder if I can use BestBuy.com price and pricematch it in the stores here.

BumRush

Just a heads up. B6 is below $2,000 on Amazon and Best Buy.

Wish I could get it, but they don't ship to PR. Wonder if I can use BestBuy.com price and pricematch it in the stores here.

We're finally seeing OLED prices become reasonable...which is amazing. I know the 2017s are going to start higher but I'm hoping the 65" are under $4k out of the gates.

tommyguns

So, I went to Best Buy to pick up a 55" KS8000 and ended up walking out with the KS8500. I'm kind of in love with it.

I haven't tried the PS4 much on it yet, but know that Game Mode is mandatory. I'm sure i'll learn to deal with it, but the colors are a little washed out in that mode. I don't know if there is much to be done to fix it, but I can't wait to try the PS4 Pro on it.

I'm in the same boat as you...Ready to pull the trigger on the 55 inch model. Yet I'm tempted by the 65" model; only downside is the 500 dollar jump in price. (That 500 I save would cover the cost of the PS4 Pro.)

airjoca

Alright, so i've had the B6 for about 5 days now, and just wanted to get other peoples take on their experience with HDR TVs. At first the brightness is very novel, it does look amazing and when I show it off I make sure the tv is bright because people generally want to see it jacked up but what I noticed is that if I sit down and watch TV for an extended period of time (I watch mostly at night with the lights on, but set pretty dim) I get eye fatigue from all the brightness and contrast. I set the backlight to 20 (out of 100) and that seems to be the sweet spot for me. Its still brighter than my Panny ST60 was but its very comfortable and still looks stunning. Anyone else do this or do you all just keep the backlight high?

P.S. is also makes streams look perfect. With high backlight you can see the digital noise/compression artifacts but the way I have it set now hides all of that.

I have an E6, got it saturday.

Daytime with some ambient light I have Expert Bright Room with Oled light set to 40.

Evening and night time I use Expert Dark Room with Oled light set at 25.

In both cases, Brightness at 50 and Contrast at 80.

b0bbyJ03

I have an E6, got it saturday.

Daytime with some ambient light I have Expert Bright Room with Oled light set to 40.

Evening and night time I use Expert Dark Room with Oled light set at 25.

In both cases, Brightness at 50 and Contrast at 80.

Cool, so I'm not the only one with the OLED light set to low. I was wondering if other people were willing to deal with the extra fatigue that you get from watching it at higher brightness just to get the "prettier" colors. When I saw that the TV had an "eye comfort" mode built into it I immediately figured that LG is aware that the brightness of the panel can be fatiguing. I just did't wanna feel like I wasn't doing HDR "the right way" lol.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

calibrate your Game, ISF Bright (lights on in the room or whatever) and ISF Dark (dark room) SDR modes with a disc or patterns on a USB key to get your picture correct. You probably won't have backlight at 100. There were some folks who were using it at 100 and dropping contrast and such as backlight at 100 defeated ABL. There's lots of posts on AVS.

HDR is it's own thing and should be quite a bit brighter. That said, unless you're watching daytime the movie, it's not a huge issue as it's usually more specular highlights.

I'm in the same boat as you...Ready to pull the trigger on the 55 inch model. Yet I'm tempted by the 65" model; only downside is the 500 dollar jump in price. (That 500 I save would cover the cost of the PS4 Pro.)
That was my rationalization as well. Having the 55" set up, the 65" would have been too big in this case.

What made you go with the curve?
I'd be lying if I said it was anything more than an impulse decision. Best Buy only had a demo of the 49", 60", 65" 8000 setup and an 8500 55", so that was the one I looked at the most. At one point I thought it felt a little more immersive and it was going to be a room TV not a living space and it's just for me. I made sure they had a 14 day, no restocking fee return policy and bit the bullet.

When I got home and looked up the 8500, rtings actually gave it a slight advantage for motion and games over the 8000. By slight, I mean SLIGHT though and it might be some weird variance in the panels they were reviewing.

I would guess you're more likely to get light bleed issues if that worries you at all on a 8500. I do have 2 spots (top right, bottom right) on mine that are noticeable to me, but I think I can live with them.

That said, I think i'll keep the 8500. I don't think the curve feature is a deal breaker and you'd be happy with either of them.

MazeHaze

Banned

Check your color space settings, color warmth and RGB black levels and such. Native color space will oversaturate the colors and make them look more vibrant, it's not accurate but it looks cool if you're into that. I'd guess you have movie mode set to native and game mode is on auto so that's why you're seeing a diffrence. I have my game mode set to look exact same as my movie mode and I don't see any difference in color, so it's definitely possible.

Check your color space settings, color warmth and RGB black levels and such. Native color space will oversaturate the colors and make them look more vibrant, it's not accurate but it looks cool if you're into that. I'd guess you have movie mode set to native and game mode is on auto so that's why you're seeing a diffrence. I have my game mode set to look exact same as my movie mode and I don't see any difference in color, so it's definitely possible.
Thanks! I think I ended up figuring it out. The way the menu is set up, it makes it seem like Game Mode is not a preset, but from what I can tell it actually is. What happened was I set up the Movie preset with the rtings settings and then turned Game Mode on thinking it would keep those settings but turn off lag inducing features. I later figured out once you turn Game Mode on, you have to go through all the settings again.

Weevilone

When I got home and looked up the 8500, rtings actually gave it a slight advantage for motion and games over the 8000. By slight, I mean SLIGHT though and it might be some weird variance in the panels they were reviewing.

There are people on AVS returning 8000s for 8500s due to seeing duplicate images during motion. There is claimed to be some benefit in the 8500, again.. however slight.

There are people on AVS returning 8000s for 8500s due to seeing duplicate images during motion. There is claimed to be some benefit in the 8500, again.. however slight.

My advice to anyone buying a 4K TV is to not make it a habit to visit AVS regularly or you will never be happy with your purchase. You will always be looking for issues and the forums will just kill you.

You become obsessed with the perfect elusive set.

There has to be a name for this.

Eiji

My advice to anyone buying a 4K TV is to not make it a habit to visit AVS regularly or you will never be happy with your purchase. You will always be looking for issues and the forums will just kill you.

There has to be a name for this

OCD

JC Lately

Sam's club has a Hitachi 50" LED on sale next week for $300. Haven't really paid attention to tv tech since getting my plasma, is this a good set for gaming? This thread is kinda... long so wasn't really sure how to look thinks up. Not getting the PS4 Pro so don't really care about 4K.

There has to be a name for this.
LOL, yep, all true!

Kyoufu

AV/AVS forums made me paranoid about OLED screen uniformity issues. I was really nervous about getting a dud panel with banding/vignetting and with all the complaints on those forums it seemed like bad panels were common. Turned out I don't have banding or any other visible issues (yes, I've gone looking).

Either those forums tend to blow things out of proportion or I got very lucky in the panel lottery game.

ukas

AV/AVS forums made me paranoid about OLED screen uniformity issues. I was really nervous about getting a dud panel with banding/vignetting and with all the complaints on those forums it seemed like bad panels were common. Turned out I don't have banding or any other visible issues (yes, I've gone looking).

Either those forums tend to blow things out of proportion or I got very lucky in the panel lottery game.

The former.

Rodin

What TV should I get if I want a great 55 inch 1080p one?

LG EG910V (9100 in the US)

Never do that. The only important thing is that it looks good to you.

And yeah, many people usually blow things way out of proportion.

tommyguns

That was my rationalization as well. Having the 55" set up, the 65" would have been too big in this case.

I'd be lying if I said it was anything more than an impulse decision. Best Buy only had a demo of the 49", 60", 65" 8000 setup and an 8500 55", so that was the one I looked at the most. At one point I thought it felt a little more immersive and it was going to be a room TV not a living space and it's just for me. I made sure they had a 14 day, no restocking fee return policy and bit the bullet.

I would guess you're more likely to get light bleed issues if that worries you at all on a 8500. I do have 2 spots (top right, bottom right) on mine that are noticeable to me, but I think I can live with them.

That said, I think i'll keep the 8500. I don't think the curve feature is a deal breaker and you'd be happy with either of them.

Light bleed does bother me a bit and I have read it may be more prevalent on the curve screens. (Again, could be totally random.) Glad you're enjoying your set though!!

So last night, I ordered direct from Samsung...the 65" KS8000. I am anxiously waiting my shipping confirmation email! Hoping it shows up before the PS4 pro on the 10th. So yeah, I but the bullet and bought the 65" version

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Have you thought about a warranty from Squaretrade?
People seem to use them a lot.

I'm honestly just thinking of going with my credit card's free warranty extension for the extra year over manufacturer when I get my own OLED in the next month or two. At least two years should be a good baseline I feel.

Keep in mind that:

a) People with problems are far more likely to go online, research, and ask/complain about them. Most of the people with good panels are watching their sets, not posting on AVS.

b) That forum is also frequented by very picky people (OCD?) who have, in many cases, bought and returned dozens of sets from various manufacturers due to imperfections that they "can't unsee" once they notice them. I am sadly among their number.

Weevilone

I guess if ignorance is bliss then it's a good idea to avoid AVS. I disagree, but that's fine. No display is perfect, but there are things I can live with and things I can't. It's a good way to eliminate some that are likely to bother me. There is also a lot of knowledge there.

Of course it's also true that you can't set out to find a perfect display. It simply doesn't exist. I'm bothered by poor motion and poor blacks. I know this. I've recently found that I also can't live without my DirecTV being somewhat presentable. That's something I might be able to work through by trying some different sources. I know I'm not at all bothered by plasma issues such as buzz, dithering, etc. I'm also not the least concerned with peak brightness. AVS will help me prep a short list to get a look at, though retail displays are all but useless for making any sort of image quality judgement.

Anarion07

So the B6 OLED officially dropped to 3000 $/ £ respectively.
Just in Europe it seems to stay above or at 4000 €.
And Amazon UK doesn't deliver it to Germany.
Fuck that.

Any of you guys have any info or reviews for this TV: Sony Bravia, 164 cm, 65XD7505, 4K Ultra HD? It's on sale in my country for 1200 euros but can't find any trusted opinions on it. Is it worth it?

Currently using a 60" full hd Sony....

Reaperssj

So my setup is a onkyo tx-nr646 and I want the best HDR tv under or at 55inch and at a under or at ~$1,200 price point to go along with the PS4 pro I have pre-ordered can you guys please help me out =)

I've owned the set for two weeks and have watched a ton of content (including fast motion sports like football) and have seen no such thing. Including 30FPS games which they state is the worst culprit. I've spent hours in Mafia 3 at 30fps with no such issues. I have auto motion plus disabled, too.

I can't say it doesn't exist as some may be far more sensitive to such things than I am but I'm very sensitive to judder/blurring problems and it was one of my biggest worries when I purchased the set coming from a Panasonic VT50 plasma. I've been more than pleasantly surprised in that regard.

Sounds to me like it's related to the subpar tone mapping in HDR10 mode that has been criticized by experts. Of course I'd hope that they also improved input lag in HDR mode, but that's doubtful.
Maybe it's both? One can dream.

Anarion07

So this thread is about the best TVs for gaming, is there also one for sound systems accompanying those tvs?
Looking for one 200-400€ to compliment my B6 when I have it, 7.1 if possible.

Any recommendations?

Devil

So this thread is about the best TVs for gaming, is there also one for sound systems accompanying those tvs?
Looking for one 200-400€ to compliment my B6 when I have it, 7.1 if possible.

Any recommendations?

Yeah, I'll have to look into that as well. My current entry-level Onkyo receiver is good enough for me and just about two years old but in hindsight that was a bad purchase or rather bad timing. It has no bluetooth and is, of course, not HDR ready. I'm not an audiophile, my Onkyo is connected to some entry-level 5.1 PC set by Teufel, but I wouldn't mind something new there either.

Weevilone

I'm close to pulling the trigger on either the LG 55B5P or 55E6P. I'm coming from a Pioneer 5010 plasma, so I'm more comfortable with emissive displays.

My primary concern is motion resolution, as my old plasma was in the 900 lines or so range where the OLED will be 300 without the assistance of electronics. Can anyone comment on this that has made the transition? I'm not interested in playing return-the-TV, but all the store displays are using sllllooooowwww moving demos that are obviously designed to look perfect.

I'll be using for a mix of gaming, sports viewing, and less so movies and TV.

Thanks

Top Bottom