• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

Kyoufu

I'm close to pulling the trigger on either the LG 55B5P or 55E6P. I'm coming from a Pioneer 5010 plasma, so I'm more comfortable with emissive displays.

My primary concern is motion resolution, as my old plasma was in the 900 lines or so range where the OLED will be 300 without the assistance of electronics. Can anyone comment on this that has made the transition? I'm not interested in playing return-the-TV, but all the store displays are using sllllooooowwww moving demos that are obviously designed to look perfect.

I'll be using for a mix of gaming, sports viewing, and less so movies and TV.

Thanks

I can't notice it personally, and I came from plasma as well.

Anarion07

I'm close to pulling the trigger on either the LG 55B5P or 55E6P. I'm coming from a Pioneer 5010 plasma, so I'm more comfortable with emissive displays.

My primary concern is motion resolution, as my old plasma was in the 900 lines or so range where the OLED will be 300 without the assistance of electronics. Can anyone comment on this that has made the transition? I'm not interested in playing return-the-TV, but all the store displays are using sllllooooowwww moving demos that are obviously designed to look perfect.

Thanks

You should definitely pull that trigger now that the prices fell so hard.
OLEDs handle motion pretty well, according to Rtings. Look up their review. Makes waiting for a price drop in Germany so much harder.

dsk1210

Thanks

It is slightly noticeable but it's not as bad as the numbers would suggest.

The oled more than makes up for it in other ways. I came from a Pioneer and Panasonic plasma and still fell in love with oled.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
You should definitely pull that trigger now that the prices fell so hard.
Unless there is some chance of the prices going back up in the next few weeks before Black Friday, wouldn't it be better to just wait a couple more weeks just in case? That's what I'm doing, cause I'm interested in a 65C or 65E depending on how far the prices drop by the end of the month. Though I just might wait till CES.

Weevilone

I need to also figure out if I'm going E or B. This is a second display in a room with a larger one, so this is just for gaming and when I'm working in my office. Thus it doesn't warrant a full sound setup.. So I'll be living with build-in sound, or a soundbar.

3D is a bonus, but it would get rarely used. If I understand correctly, the E series has a better SOC as well, but I don't know if it really matters. Hmm.. Store demos are just so bad. Wish I could easily compare the sound of the units. If there is a significant difference in that category, then I might just roll with the E.

Geneijin

I need to also figure out if I'm going E or B. This is a second display in a room with a larger one, so this is just for gaming and when I'm working in my office. Thus it doesn't warrant a full sound setup.. So I'll be living with build-in sound, or a soundbar.

3D is a bonus, but it would get rarely used. If I understand correctly, the E series has a better SOC as well, but I don't know if it really matters. Hmm.. Store demos are just so bad. Wish I could easily compare the sound of the units. If there is a significant difference in that category, then I might just roll with the E.
Get the B. I hear the panel quality is the same in the entire E6P series or so I've heard.

Anarion07

Unless there is some chance of the prices going back up in the next few weeks before Black Friday, wouldn't it be better to just wait a couple more weeks just in case? That's what I'm doing, cause I'm interested in a 65C or 65E depending on how far the prices drop by the end of the month. Though I just might wait till CES.

No idea. But since lg themselves just dropped the prices massively in the US and UK to 3000 for the 65 inch B6 for example, I don't think there's much more room for price drops. Except in the eu of course. Please lg.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
No idea. But since lg themselves just dropped the prices massively in the US and UK to 3000 for the 65 inch B6 for example, I don't think there's much more room for price drops. Except in the eu of course. Please lg.

I'm just hoping that while maintaining that price-drop some places might bundle extra stuff with the set for BF like a soundbar, or something.

f@luS

More than a member.
I'm now 100% sure on lg oled with hdr you need to put dynamic contrast to high

I've tested infamous hdr the ONLY way to have the same kind of picture black wise is with dynamic contrast on. Without it's like crushed black the same way as if PS4 was in full and tv limited

Yaari

This thread showed up on AVSforum just now "

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...ral/2631489-no-hdr-game-mode-2016-models.html

"No HDR Game Mode for 2016 Models"

Good Afternoon Matteo,

Thank you for getting in touch regarding the HDR game mode for your OLED TV. We have recently been informed by the development team that this update is no longer planned for the 2016 range of TVs, as it would be require a hardware update in order to function, and instead will be released on the 2017 range.

If you have any further questions, please get back in touch.

Kind regards,

LG Electronics UK Help desk

Dave_6

Interesting. Now to wait and see when and how much the 2017 LGs will be, or possibly pick up an E6 around Black Friday (if there will even be any sales on them).

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It's not like the input lag was terrible in HDR with games currently, so not a huge loss.
I still want to know what this supposed update does though that's been teased.

Yaari

Yeah, all this stuff about stronger chips and hardware, and if this is the final conclusion then that is rather ridiculous.

b0bbyJ03

Don't believe this. Many current TVs do it just fine. How is it that possibly the most state of the art TV with all the latest standards can't handle this via an update? Even last years OLED can do HDR in game mode (according to one of the users in that very thread).
Funny how they added three HDR profiles for each HDR10 and Dolby Vision, but no 4th HDR game picture mode.

I'll wait for an official statement from LG
We'll probably have to wait for interviews at next CES.

Yaari

I'll wait for an official statement from LG

Pretty much what Yappadappadu said, don't think we've have gotten any official statements from LG about anything yet unfortunately.

Edit: well, this doesnt help. The guy on twitter was talking about an already-released firmware update
https://twitter.com/Vincent_Teoh/status/794273170127781889

And he says;

Sorry to disappoint everyone, but firmware I'm testing is existing 04.03.50 for B6. No HDR Game mode in the pipeline for 2016 models.

Ended up going for the PC Richard's Samsung 40KU6290. With the $25 newsletter discount and no tax I have a 40" 4k 10 bit "HDR" (not an expanded color gamut) but still Rtings runner up for best 40-43" 4K (same TV as the 6300 but a standard remote instead of smart). Ended up $305 shipped.

Will be my stop over TV until a 50" ~$1000 shows up that has the features I like. Hoping next years Vizio model, but I'm not holding my breath.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-...2-43-inch/best

Geneijin

Backing up the AVSForums thread mentioned before:

HDTVTest's Vincent Teoh has separately claimed on Twitter that LG has no HDR + Game Mode firmware update in the pipeline.

That means you'll have to settle for the current input lag numbers; they will not get better in the foreseeable future.

Consider your purchases accordingly.

He also explains why the hardware update would be necessary; apparently, it has to do with the way HDR and Game Mode are implemented on the current models.
That might have been the final nail on the coffin for me to wait for the 2017 LG OLEDs. The input lag is not even consistent on the OLED55B6P and such, right? It varies between 30-60 ms or something?

BONKERS

Is the Samsung KS8000 4K HDR TV 4:4:4 capable? I want HDR to look excellent.

Yes it is capable of 8-bit 4k 4:4.

Technically speaking, AFIK HDMI 2.0 doesn't have enough bandwidth to display 3840x2160p60-10-bit with 4:4:4. Only DisplayPort does. (Please correct me on this if I am wrong. This is just what I recall others having said)

The Xbox One S outputs 4k HDR with 4:2:0 instead. So essentially your color resolution is cut in half.

I haven't seen anything that says whether Pro will also output 4:2:0 in HDR. Or 4:4:4

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
That might have been the final nail on the coffin for me to wait for the 2017 LG OLEDs. The input lag is not even consistent on the OLED55B6P and such, right? It varies between 30-60 ms or something?

Looks like I'm going to be waiting until 2017 for the TV I was ready to buy this month...

raining_david_tennant.gif

BONKERS

What 1080p tv brands are best these days? I'd like a new tv, but not 4k yet.

What would be a good 55 inch model?

This one if you are willing to spend the money
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HPMCN6K/?tag=neogaf0e-20
It's an older model. But it's a good one.

Sony had a great re-release of the W630B this year, but it seems to have sold out really quick :( It was 60 inches.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/w800b
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F35AMZO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Vizio's 1080p sets wouldn't be so bad but they don't support 4:4:4

VertPin

Huh, it looks like the Vizio P55-C1 is a better offering than the Samsung KS8000. Lower input lag, refresh rate of 240Hz, better viewing angles, etc. But does it look as nice and sharp as the KS8000 from Samsung? Or are the colors dull? :|

Is there any downside to this TV? Is it also 4:4:4 capable? I don't quite understand the new TV jargon.

Edit: Disregard this. The Vizio does NOT support 4:4:4.

Lucifon

Backing up the AVSForums thread mentioned before:

HDTVTest's Vincent Teoh has separately claimed on Twitter that LG has no HDR + Game Mode firmware update in the pipeline.

That means you'll have to settle for the current input lag numbers; they will not get better in the foreseeable future.

Consider your purchases accordingly.

He also explains why the hardware update would be necessary; apparently, it has to do with the way HDR and Game Mode are implemented on the current models.

What nonsense. LG have some serious making up to do pulling crap like this on their top of the line latest tv models. Feel a little like I've received the middle finger from them.

That said I don't have major issues with the input lag currently in HDR and can play Gears 4 online or offline without any problems. But it would be nice to have game mode knowing things are the best they can be.

MazeHaze

Banned
it is but you will be stuck in pc mode with 37ms input lag. The moment the tv detects a 4:4:4 signal it will force pc mode.

This isn't true. You can send 444 signal in any mode, its just converts it to something closer to a 422 signal. If you want 4k 60fps HDR you need to send a 422 or 420 signal anyway, as HDMI doesn't have the bandwith for 10 bit color at 444 4k 60hz.
Huh, it looks like the Vizio P55-C1 is a better offering than the Samsung KS8000. Lower input lag, refresh rate of 240Hz, better viewing angles, etc. But does it look as nice and sharp as the KS8000 from Samsung? Or are the colors dull? :|

Is there any downside to this TV? Is it also 4:4:4 capable? I don't quite understand the new TV jargon.

Edit: Disregard this. The Vizio does NOT support 4:4:4.

The 55 is also an IPS panel, and I do think even the VA panel P series looks dull compared to the ks8000.

This is correct. There is no current way to send a 4k 10bit 60hz 444 signal.

So weird that it's bandwidth holding it back. Here's hoping a solution will be presented at CES this year.

What nonsense. LG have some serious making up to do pulling crap like this on their top of the line latest tv models. Feel a little like I've received the middle finger from them.

That said I don't have major issues with the input lag currently in HDR and can play Gears 4 online or offline without any problems. But it would be nice to have game mode knowing things are the best they can be.

Man, I totally get that. It's a dick move. But I do believe they actually tried to implement it.

I recommend the DX902/900, what a TV for the money! And it seems to not get mentioned much. 512 zone fald, 98% DCI, 35MS lag in HDR mode, can't tell the difference from my old 22ms Sammy! And THX certified, all for a little more than an top edge lit for £2k :)

MazeHaze

Banned
I recommend the DX902/900, what a TV for the money! And it seems to not get mentioned much. 512 zone fald, 98% DCI, 35MS lag in HDR mode, can't tell the difference from my old 22ms Sammy! And THX certified, all for a little more than an top edge lit for £2k :)
I imagine it doesn't get mentioned much because they don't sell it in the US.

BONKERS

So weird that it's bandwidth holding it back. Here's hoping a solution will be presented at CES this year.

Man, I totally get that. It's a dick move. But I do believe they actually tried to implement it.

There is a solution already. Display Port.
HDMI is used because of hollywood. And probably broadcast TV. (Like HDTV resolutions that default to YCbCr and the reason why TVs still ship with fucking overscan)

Top Bottom