• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

That means it's as good as dead in the mass market, 4k is a huge and costly engineering challenge for pdp and is going to be the next great marketing push by TV and film producers. A whole line of tv's without a key feature going forward...all in a dwindling market year after year. I don't envy panasonics position

Why do they need to continue r&d when their current plasma tech is so far ahead of the curve? LCD is no threat in picture quality ever since manufacturers stopped doing local dimming. OLED is the only thing that can surpass plasma and Panasonic and Sony are in that together.

Stopping r&d does not mean they will stop making plasmas. 4K is still a ways off, and I'm not sure it will be the next 1080p anyway. Remember when 3D was supposed to be the next big thing for TVs?

Durante

But seriously, the panel processing, in the end, is more of a factor than the panel type.
This is true, but it disregards the fact that LCD inherently requires more processing than the other display types I mentioned (OLED, DLP and Plasma). Why? Because without some manner of overdrive, LCD pixel switching times are entirely unacceptable. And calculating the correct level for that overdrive takes time, and often even an extra "future" frame.

Also, DLP > OLED? Really? You're smoking some good stuff now that it's legal in some places. And I'm not just talking about the Vita, either (though it doesn't hurt its case)...
I explained why DLP will usually leave a more responsive impression in my post. It's because OLED, while offering incredibly fast pixel switching, is still a sample-and-hold technology. DLP, on the other hand, is a continuously refreshing technology (like CRT).

Batman

Banned
I know nothing about televisions, so is there any LCD/LED television that stands out against the rest that is currently out or coming out soon for gaming? I don't want an OLED or Plasma because of the burn in problems.

This is true, but it disregards the fact that LCD inherently requires more processing than the other display types I mentioned (OLED, DLP and Plasma). Why? Because without some manner of overdrive, LCD pixel switching times are entirely unacceptable. And calculating the correct level for that overdrive takes time, and often even an extra "future" frame.
Yes, but are these things you can actually see on comparable levels of each tech, or just things on paper? I won't argue that a low spec LCD is terrible, but too many people have a boner against it as a whole.

I explained why DLP will usually leave a more responsive impression in my post. It's because OLED, while offering incredibly fast pixel switching, is still a sample-and-hold technology. DLP, on the other hand, is a continuously refreshing technology (like CRT).

My above statements holds here, as well. I stopped wanting a DLP years ago when I saw how utterly terrible the viewing angle can be, even on the higher end models. It's gotten much better (like LCDs have...) but DLPs stop looking nice after a while just because the viewing angle is still kind of shifty and the picture isn't very colorful, IMO, even on a well calibrated one.

partime

I know nothing about televisions, so is there any LCD/LED television that stands out against the rest that is currently out or coming out soon for gaming? I don't want an OLED or Plasma because of the burn in problems.

Plasma's have been around a long time, they have technology that prevents this (pixel shifting, which you barely notice).

I purchased a 63" Samsung Plasma a year ago, love it (although it is off by 2-3mm when mounting it :/).

Has a built in camera AND mic that makes loosing your remote pointless, because you don't need it.

I'd stick with plasma, unlike OLED it's had much more time to mature. I've read that the blues in OLED burn out much faster. Not to mention the cheapest OLED tv ive seen is above 8k$. If you dont mind gambling your money I'd go with OLED as ive read it has hands down superior color (long as the blues dont die prematurely) and response time, not to mention they have an extremely thin profile.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
had a 42 inch LCD, switched to a 60 inch plasma a few weeks ago. LCD is better up close, but from a distance (regular viewing distance) the plasma wins hands down

aktham

As I said above, I'm in love with my shiny new VT65 (VT60). And the ZT60 is a rung above that again. You'll know you've got the best television money can buy (and I've got the second best!). Until OLED anyway. Enjoy :)

Thanks man. It's an expensive birthday present for myself. It's backordered, so it won't be here for 2 weeks. I had to buy a new stand along with it. I will post pics later.

Why does no VT50 review mention fan noise? It's about the same as my second gen PS3. Not very loud but noticeable when not much is going on on screen. Now that I've heard it, I find a bunch of forum posts complaining about it. It seems that every model has it, just not everybody notices it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yes, but are these things you can actually see on comparable levels of each tech, or just things on paper? I won't argue that a low spec LCD is terrible, but too many people have a boner against it as a whole.
I've used quite a few high-end LCDs and agree that they've come a long way but they still don't produce an image as desirable as I'm used to with my Kuro. I actually bought a new LCD for the living room when I moved to France which I used until the Kuro arrived from the States. At first, an LCD can produce a fairly attractive picture, but it's when the content starts to spread it wings and display a larger range of visuals that things start to fall apart on LCD. There are still too many instances when a picture will suffer as a result of LCD performance.

I'm still hopeful for OLED, but it's a ways away from being ready for prime time in the larger screen space. Though, unfortunately, it's still a sample and hold based technology (though motion resolution has proven to be suitably fast from what I've seen).

Another review, another mention of superb response times from the W900!

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/au...a-and-lcd-tvs/sony-kdl-55w905a-1149989/review

"One final feature to mention is the Sony 55W905A's really exceptional input lag performance.

Our tests revealed that - so long as you use the TV's game preset and turn off as much video processing as possible - Sony's new flagship TV takes barely 10ms for on-screen video signals to arrive at its inputs. This is the lowest figure we've seen from a TV (as opposed to a dedicated PC monitor)."

Backs up the 7ms measured by Trusted Reviews. :O

deadlast

Yesterday I saw, at the local Sam's Club, a 60in Panny plasma for 647. It didn't have 3d or any of the super nice stuff, but still a great tv at that price.

Lenardo

Banned
IR= image retention-sort of like burnin but it goes away eventually, ie ui elements that are ALWAYS on the same spot on the screen a shadow of it can last if you switch to like tv, ie you still "see" it. playing a calibration disk or a movie with lots of whites and darks in that spot will get rid of it.

I have an LG 60pa6500 60" plasma and so far after having it since december, i LOVE it. zero IR that so far (knock on wood)

like what was said above, close up (5' or less) the image is not as good looking as LCD you can "SEE" the plasma nodules, but get back 8-10 feet and the thing is gorgeous, i went to AVSforums and used the recommended settings posted there for calibration and have not touched it since.

Ushae

Banned
OLED will probably be the best by far when it becomes affordable. Otherwise Palsma is the way to go.

My Panasonic 42" 1080p looks amazing, have had it for 1 and half years. Some very mild ghosting but nothing that doesn't instantly fade. Great TV. Next gen ready.

Hip Hop

Isn't 120hz, the game has to be running at 120fps for it to look good? Isn't it pointless if all games run at most 60fps?

Pardon if I sound like a newbie at this, I'm just going by the refresh rate and V sync options from PC.

mkenyon

Banned
Isn't 120hz, the game has to be running at 120fps for it to look good? Isn't it pointless if all games run at most 60fps?

Pardon if I sound like a newbie at this, I'm just going by the refresh rate and V sync options from PC.
Nope. Any increase beyond 60hz and 16.7ms frametimes is going to improve the illusion of motion.

Don't need vsync with a 120hz display either. For whatever reason, the increased refresh rate tends to obscure or reduce the issue of frame tearing.

It really is too bad that we're unlikely to see a 120Hz TV any time soon.

Quick cellphone pic of our new 75 inch TV, the Samsung 75ES9000 I'm completely in love with it. Blackest blacks I have ever seen and stunning, gorgeous colours. This size works for DOTA2 from the sofa. To my dismay they installed it 5 cm too low so they have to come back again to fix it.
Chittagong said:
zugwXga.jpg

Gaming on a large panel display is quite an experience. I hope to have a similar setup to Chittagong. Perhaps with an 84" 4K display from Sony. In a few years that is! :)

OverHeat

« generous god »
I've used quite a few high-end LCDs and agree that they've come a long way but they still don't produce an image as desirable as I'm used to with my Kuro. I actually bought a new LCD for the living room when I moved to France which I used until the Kuro arrived from the States. At first, an LCD can produce a fairly attractive picture, but it's when the content starts to spread it wings and display a larger range of visuals that things start to fall apart on LCD. There are still too many instances when a picture will suffer as a result of LCD performance.

I'm still hopeful for OLED, but it's a ways away from being ready for prime time in the larger screen space. Though, unfortunately, it's still a sample and hold based technology (though motion resolution has proven to be suitably fast from what I've seen).

IMO Panasonic as out class the KURO this years, wait until you see a a zt in person your gonna be blown away by the motion resolution.

aktham

I might change my order from the ZT60 and get VT60 or even the ST50 after D-Nice mentioned how close these sets are to each other. ZT60 like a 500 dollar upgrade for the coating on the screen (which actually hurts the brightness). My display will be in the basement without any ambient lighting, so I won't benefit from the ZT60 AR coat. The ZT60 coat is more for a bright room or a room where the viewing conditions will vary.

Black levels on the ZT60 and VT60 are exactly the same (beat the Kuro). The Black levels of the ST is not that far behind those either, but has less shadow detail. I guess it will just come down to input lag for me at this point.

Reallink

I might change my order from the ZT60 and get VT60 or even the ST50 after D-Nice mentioned how close these sets are to each other. ZT60 like a 500 dollar upgrade for the coating on the screen (which actually hurts the brightness). My display will be in the basement without any ambient lighting, so I won't benefit from the ZT60 AR coat. The ZT60 coat is more for a bright room or a room where the viewing conditions will vary.

Black levels on the ZT60 and VT60 are exactly the same (beat the Kuro). The Black levels of the ST is not that far behind those either, but has less shadow detail. I guess it will just come down to input lag for me at this point.

I'm assuming you're already aware, but the EU ST60 is almost twice as laggy as the VT60 (Mid 70's Vs. Mid 40's respectively).

quest

Not Banned from OT

I would do the same thing if I was you. Reason I want ZT is my TV is in living room with sun light during the day.

Biggzy

I have had my new Panasonic TXP50GT50 for a couple of days now and all I can say is that the TV absolutely destroys my old Samsung LE46A656A1F in every way; Tomb Raider looked like a different game almost - game doesn't really have a HUD.

I am in the 'bedding-in' period at the moment, and so far image retention has gone away very quickly, when it has appeared. I am seriously thinking of paying for someone to calibrate it, as this TV deserves it I feel.

The new 42" 1080p Panasonic plasma is on sale for $400 at sears. I am so close to just biting the bullet on this one.

Yeah, I have been wanting to get a plasma for awhile now and was waiting to see if the ST50 would ever hit $800 (last gen model), but for $400 dollars and a solid CNET review I made a splash. It will be going in the bedroom which only has 1 window that I can block most of the light during the day, so I'm hoping I'll be good to go with this baby.

I would say one of these three would be pretty cool.

1. FED <- Would be amazing (The Holy Grail) but, probably won't see the light of day.
2. OLET
3. OLED

Takuan

Do we know if the new Sony Bravia W800 models will have as low latency as the W900 models?

Here's their lineup: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/article.php?subaction=showfull&id=1361782542

Also I'm thinking about going 47" and not 55". I owned a Sony Bravia 60" but it makes the flaws of 1080p games even stand out.
Apparently the 550 is great for gaming, from an input lag perspective. Image is lacking compared to high end models, but unless you're a nut of avs forums proportions I don't know that it matters all that much.

Man

I spent ~$5000 (+ Norwegian tax) on a top of the line Sony Bravia 60" 2010 model and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between that and Samsung models a quarter of the price.
I'm not wasting heaps anymore on displays.

I see the 550 is not releasing in Europe.

55'' Panasonic GT30 here (plasma). Have had it for two years and it looks better now than the day I first turned it on.

Had a 42'' Toshiba LCD before that. Never again.

antti-la

Really tempted to buy new TV.

I'm currently using Mirai 42" DTL-742E600 from 2008, is it worth upgrading now?

I want games and movies to look better, crawing for deeper blacks and more vivid colors.

Not really interested in smart-features at all, I have other devices for those purposes. All I want is the most bang for the buck panel in middle-high-end range. I'm thinking of spending about 1300-1800€ and looking a tv in size between 50-55".

Would a Panasonic Plasma 50" TX-P50VT50Y be a good choice? There seems to be an active crowd that are "no" sayers for anything Plasma. Image retention, quality from close, short life expectancy, loud fans etc. Are these things really still an issue?

Would it be safe to use plasma with HTPC that may be on couple of hours a night and there can be some static elements on the screen, like task bar or something similar. How bad the image-retention really is, and are they hard to get rid off?

Plasmas are more or less the best TVs, and burn-in problems are about as common as the black death.

Current best 23-24" monitor for console gaming?

Any significant improvements on it by November?

I'd go with this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005JN9310/thewire06-20

Daante

First real in depth review of Sonys 1080p flagship for this year:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl55w905a-201305172987.htm

"With [Game Mode] enabled, the Sony KDL-55W905A is easily the best gaming HDTV we&#8217;ve seen to date, thanks to the lowest input lag on record, full 4:4:4 reproduction (for PC games), and zero risk of image retention or screenburn (unlike plasmas)."

Input lag (high-speed camera)
8ms compared to lag-free CRT

Leo Bodnar input lag tester
20ms

Full 4:4:4 reproduction (PC)
Yes, in [Game] and [Graphics] mode

1-D_FTW

First real in depth review of Sonys 1080p flagship for this year:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl55w905a-201305172987.htm

"With [Game Mode] enabled, the Sony KDL-55W905A is easily the best gaming HDTV we’ve seen to date, thanks to the lowest input lag on record, full 4:4:4 reproduction (for PC games), and zero risk of image retention or screenburn (unlike plasmas)."

Input lag (high-speed camera)
8ms compared to lag-free CRT

Leo Bodnar input lag tester
20ms

Full 4:4:4 reproduction (PC)
Yes, in [Game] and [Graphics] mode

You have to tip your hat at Sony for this. You could angrily ask why a video game company that also made TVs didn't prioritize this sooner, but better late than never. Hopefully this is the standard they uphold from here on out.

Filth

Don't know if this is off topic but could someone recommend me a really good monitor for my pc. I'm thinking 30 something inch with great colors and no lag.

Top Bottom