• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum Games: "Would have to see demand" for MG:Revengeance Wii U port

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that's not even the main idea of his post

on top of what you're saying not even being true. I don't remember the bayonetta demo opening with a 10 minute cutscene. then another 5 minute one after a 5 second encounter that followed by an unskippable codec call.

when's the last time you've played bayonetta?

its prologue opener after the little gameplay teaser on the falling clock tower is the same length as the *entire* sequence you described in MGR's demo. Bayonetta even had shit like this, a 7.5 minute cutscene in which most of it is just narration over still images

the game's cutscenes were a common complaint, there were far too many of them and it disrupted the pacing of the game tho not as much as the terrible afterburner and space harrier segments, especially the latter being a mandatory part to replay the best boss fight in the game

Katsuragi

Count me in! I'm not particularly interested in the Metal Gear series but enjoyed most of the Platinum games that I played.
Personally, I'd prefer a Bayonetta 1 eShop release, though!

Bayonetta 2 hype is an interesting one, especially from non-360/PS3 owners. They recognise it as a game they absolutely really want to play and big up, and yet never owned it themselves. Console loyalty is a weird ol' drug. I'm reminded of the Okami Wii fervour: the strange subset of people that somehow skipped the PS2.
Okami seems an odd example to draw given (1) the game mechanics naturally lend themselves to a less abstracted interface, (2) the game is a blatant Zelda homage and (3) I believe the Wii version actually outsold the PS2 version in the US (and possibly the west overall). Not really the best standards to draw a "strange subset" console warrior argument off of.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
when's the last time you've played bayonetta?

lol. Just yesterday actually.

I don't really want to argue about it. I think we're(you're) getting besides the point of even your original statement now.

I just didn't understand what your purpose was for calling him out on something so meaningless to the main message of his post

but I think I understand now; you really don't like the story elements of Bayonetta.

Momentary

Banned
PC please

A quick search reveals this http://www.dsogaming.com/news/metal-gear-rising-revengeance-up-and-running-on-the-pc/

A_HREN2CAAAg1vW.jpg

Oh man... I hope this comes out before summer. Can't wait to finish building my new PC.

Here's what we will see:

1. Petition of the ports
2. Petition success & they start development and take 1 year
3. Release in 2014. Everyone moves on already and no one give a damn anymore.
4. Poor sale.
5. No one make games for Wii U. Say 3rd party can't sell on Nintendo system.

So true. To obtain good sales, they should release it at the same time as the ps360 versions+ gamepad off screen and better graphics.

farnham

Banned
OT But this is times where i kinda miss Yamauchi. Imagine Yamauchi hearing this kind of message ("Yeah we are making W101 and Bayonetta 2 but MGSR? no demand"). He would probably cut ties with Platinum just for the sake of it.

You dont f with this guy

hiroshi-yamauchi.jpg

Terrell

:(

Sony had all games, Nintendo had an exclusive remake of the first and the 3rd, MS had 2 and 3 and PC had the first 2.

I really don't get Konami.

Trying to understand them is pointless. As much as people don't like him, Jim Sterling really summarizes how bad things are with them as a publisher here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5524-Konami

Yes, exactly. I'll never understand this console war/loyalty shit. It's so incredibly childish. If there's a game you want to play on a system/platform then just save up and wait until you can pursue such an investment. I find it somewhat strange that there's people out there who are foaming at their mouths to play Bayonetta 2/MGR, yet they couldn't care less to play Platinum's other, previous efforts (Vanquish, the original Bayonetta) because they're not on a Nintendo system.

Not that I'm trying to call out anyone here on this thread, but these kinds of people are certainly out there. If you're an avid gamer, you follow the games, not the platform. OF COURSE you can have a preference, but to not play something because it's on a platform/system that is out of your reach, whether that's because of a financial burden or whatever, then you're really not doing yourself any favors. I personally do not not enjoy playing games on the PC, but when Ys Origin was announced I downloaded that shit immediately on Steam and played through it, because, you know, I'm an Ys/Falcom fan. Simple as that.

Well, I played Bayonetta by virtue of trading my Wii for a friend's PS3, so I have reason to be excited and didn't have to spend $250+ to enjoy a smattering of content that I couldn't get on my Wii.
But the fact remains that people who are excited about Bayonetta 2 on Wii U are people who acknowledge its pedigree, that's all that needs to be understood and all that really matters.

Yes, you follow games, not platforms. Unfortunately, like some people who are declining the purchase of a Wii U, the quantity of games you want on a platform doesn't always outweigh the cost associated with getting one.

Me, for instance? I can count the games I want for PS3 and 360 on 2 hands: Bayonetta, Mortal Kombat, P4 Arena, Catherine, Valkyria Chronicles, Virtua Fighter 5, SSFIV. The rest are either unreleased and may never see the light of day at this point (Last Guardian and Versus XIII, I'm talking about you), ported to PC/Wii U already or didn't capture my interest. If I were to buy a PS3 to play them all right now, each game would be worth $91.25 if you divided up the console's cost and applied it to the games themselves. And that's if I were buying the console NOW, right as the next generation is kicking into gear, not when these games actually came out.

Does it suck that I miss out on some great games? Yeah. Do I drive myself crazy about what an inferior gamer I am for doing so? FUCK NO. I miss out on a lot of entertainment I could enjoy without ever knowing it, so why obsess about it just because I'm knowingly declining it out of financial responsibility? It's not about loyalty or drawing lines in the sand, it's about personal pragmatism.

Yeah, I bought a Wii U at launch, but I did it because I looked at my Wii library and realized that it's a cost that I could spread out much easier, given that I've owned upwards of 30 games for Wii and see that trend continuing, plus a savings on accessory costs. If I'm wrong, I'll sell it and remember what a poor investment it was.

I rather get Bayonetta 1 port on Wii U Eshop

It wouldn't be a bad idea for that to happen, no.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you're that keen on playing Bayonetta and purchasing a console for it - buy the machine with the most games you wanted to play on. The PS3 port ain't THAT bad, if you haven't seen or played the 360 version.
Not that keen, just thought it would be a nice option to have to build up some interest in number 2. I just just combating any potential comments that I could just play it on the other systems.

73V3N

Banned
OT But this is times where i kinda miss Yamauchi. Imagine Yamauchi hearing this kind of message ("Yeah we are making W101 and Bayonetta 2 but MGSR? no demand"). He would probably cut ties with Konami just for the sake of it.

You dont f with this guy

hiroshi-yamauchi.jpg

Fixed

I have a 360, but with the way it's been acting lately I'm worried it might be near death's door. I have a mild interest in playing this game, but it's not to the point where I'm feverishly counting down the days until it is released. Same with the next Castlevaina.

Putting this game on WiiU would be a nice gesture to someone like me, but even I can't justify the expense of making it unless Nintendo helps with some of the poring costs or marketing. I think I can manage without these two Konami games.

Mxrz

the game's cutscenes were a common complaint, there were far too many of them and it disrupted the pacing of the game tho not as much as the terrible afterburner and space harrier segments, especially the latter being a mandatory part to replay the best boss fight in the game

This should be stressed. Bayonetta becomes a much, much better game once you skip the cutscenes.

ArjanN

Here:

I demand you to release this game on the Wii U

"Hey boss, did you look at the NeoGAF MG: Revengeance for Wii U thread? It's turns out there's actually a lot of demand for Revengance...on PC. Oh and there was one guy that wanted it for Wii U I guess."

no offense intended ;)

tyranid5

Neo Member
So they'll put MS: Rev on Wii U if ppl want it. But no talk about Bayonetta 2, moving to some other platform. I if it's Xbox, PlayStation or PC.... i just don't want to have to play it on the wii u.

But Bayonetta on PC would be cool too, since that wish actually has a chance.

So they'll put MS: Rev on Wii U if ppl want it. But no talk about Bayonetta 2, moving to some other platform. I if it's Xbox, PlayStation or PC.... i just don't want to have to play it on the wii u.

No it doesn't.

Nintendo's funding Bayo 2. You don't shit where you eat.

Terrell

So they'll put MS: Rev on Wii U if ppl want it.

No, Konami will.

But no talk about Bayonetta 2, moving to some other platform. I if it's Xbox, PlayStation or PC.... i just don't want to have to play it on the wii u.

Then someone other than Nintendo should have made it happen. Like Sega, the IP owner, for instance. Can't blame Nintendo for seeing an opportunity being passed up and taking it for themselves.

I would have thought the grumbling over this would have ended by now. Shows what I know.

Nintendo's funding Bayo 2. You don't shit where you eat.

According to Kamiya, some people do. ;)

Hydrogen

Banned
I can't see a reason to port it. Who has a wii but still no ps3 or 360 at this point? Off screen play? Or a probably useless feature on the touch screen?

Me, for instance? I can count the games I want for PS3 and 360 on 2 hands: Bayonetta, Mortal Kombat, P4 Arena, Catherine, Valkyria Chronicles, Virtua Fighter 5, SSFIV. The rest are either unreleased and may never see the light of day at this point (Last Guardian and Versus XIII, I'm talking about you), ported to PC/Wii U already or didn't capture my interest. If I were to buy a PS3 to play them all right now, each game would be worth $91.25 if you divided up the console's cost and applied it to the games themselves. And that's if I were buying the console NOW, right as the next generation is kicking into gear, not when these games actually came out.

Here's my take. You owned upward of 30 games on the Wii because you owned a Wii. If you owned a PS3 you would have owned upward of 30 PS3 games. If you owned an X360 you would have owned upward of 30 X360 games. Not because these games are the best on the market but because that's what you chose to limit yourself to.

So if you want to narrow a library down to 7 games you want to play -- oh and Revengeance makes it 8 I guess -- that's your business. But let's not pretend there's nothing to play on the console and it makes no financial sense to own it. Especially not if you can justify buying a WiiU at launch. I mean, what's your per-title investment there at the moment? Upward of $120 a game?

Broken Logic

Neo Member
First neogaf post. Be gentle :(

I'm not sure if this has been said before, but here goes:
I'm going to take the side of the developer for a minute, though I really hate that they use this argument.

But if I understand correctly, a developer who wants to work on an ip owned by a publisher must prove that the game will sell before they even start. Otherwise, no publisher funding. When they say "Would have to see demand" for a port that's already out and sold on its initial platforms, maybe they're just stating the facts. Literally cannot sell the idea to the publisher without proof, especially if they could be working on something else.

This makes me annoyed because the same logic can be used for new consoles, where the install base isn't large/established yet. The return on investment just isn't as appealing.

And this is why it's so easy to hate publishers. JUST GIVE ME THE GAMES ALREADY.

Also, I don't think we should ask for ports of old games(or in this case, a port which won't release simultaneously) now. Because even if the install base grows, the users may have bought the old versions already, and few people need two versions. At this point, it might just be dangerous for the system to have the port fall flat. Instead ask for the upcoming games where a multiplat would have a chance on the new system.

Terrell

Here's my take. You owned upward of 30 games on the Wii because you owned a Wii.

No, I owned 30 games for my Wii because Nintendo pushed out a lot of great games for the Wii, as they do with every system they make, with some 3rd-party titles making the cut. Of the games I own for it, MAYBE 5-7 were purchased simply because they were available on the system I purchased.

So if you want to narrow a library down to 7 games you want to play -- oh and Revengeance makes it 8 I guess -- that's your business.

No, Revengeance doesn't make the list, I have a fatwa against Konami right now, as I already stated in this thread.

But let's not pretend there's nothing to play on the console and it makes no financial sense to own it.

I didn't say there was nothing to play on the systems, there was limited amounts of titles that held my personal interest enough to buy them. Those things are not mutually exclusive.

Especially not if you can justify buying a WiiU at launch. I mean, what's your per-title investment there at the moment? Upward of $120 a game?

Unless Nintendo's output over the course of the generation is less than the Wii, I'm pretty safe in that regard and didn't feel a need to hold back on playing what was available right now when I know that the investment in the hardware will assuredly be recuperated. And if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, and I will learn from my mistake, as I already stated. I remember selling my N64 for a PS1 and waiting to make my GameCube purchase for that very reason.

Riposte

Re: Owning platforms: You should own all of them. (I'm not perfect though, don't have a Vita or PSP.)

Konami being well known for responding to demand for MGS ports.

Just ask 360 owners in 2008!

Ground Zeroes being announced multi-plat has shown how times have changed. I have not heard so much a whimper.

No, I owned 30 games for my Wii because Nintendo pushed out a lot of great games for the Wii, as they do with every system they make, with some 3rd-party titles making the cut. Of the games I own for it, MAYBE 5-7 were purchased simply because they were available on the system I purchased.

I'm sure you you believe that, but frankly I don't. I'm postulating that your library would look quite different if you could boot up PS3/360 games on your Wii. It would clearly contain more fighters for starters, but I'm guessing that's not the only genre you play.

No, Revengeance doesn't make the list, I have a fatwa against Konami right now, as I already stated in this thread.

That's your business. But I think boycotts work better on games you might have actually bought in the first place. You might want to start by boycotting Capcom for killing Clover.

Terrell

I'm sure you you believe that, but frankly I don't. I'm postulating that your library would look quite different if you could boot up PS3/360 games on your Wii. It would clearly contain more fighters for starters, but I'm guessing that's not the only genre you play.

So the people who buy Nintendo consoles purely for Nintendo's games are all deluding themselves as to the quality of them? Seems terribly unpractical when there are alternatives about, doesn't it?
And since the fantasy scenario you postulate can never exist, the point you raise is moot. Until you can bring objection based in fact and reality, there's nothing you're bringing to the table other than an insinuation against the argument with no merit.

That's your business. But I think boycotts work better on games you might have actually bought in the first place. You might want to start by boycotting Capcom for killing Clover.

One slight does not make a boycott. Were I one of the people so enraged by on-disc DLC as some others were, that may have tipped the scales. Ono's leave of absence didn't do them any favors, though. But Capcom's mis-steps come nowhere close to Konami's towering spire of fuck-ups. Nowhere close.

Besides, the death of Clover was a conclusion arrived at thanks to both sides, Capcom wasn't putting those men out of a job, they declined to rejoin the internal Capcom team structure after Clover's dissolution. They all landed on their feet as a team after that, so since I've lost nothing as a gamer because of it, the only loser in that scenario is Capcom, and I'm content to let them lick their wounds over it.

And lastly, one of the great conundrums about boycotts is that if you truly believe in them, it saps a huge majority of any desire to reward the company with money. So by your definition of what makes a boycott "work better", none of them honestly could, unless everyone in said boycott was silently kidding themselves and didn't actually believe in why they were doing it.

Sentenza

OT But this is times where i kinda miss Yamauchi. Imagine Yamauchi hearing this kind of message ("Yeah we are making W101 and Bayonetta 2 but MGSR? no demand"). He would probably cut ties with Platinum just for the sake of it.

You dont f with this guy

hiroshi-yamauchi.jpg
What a BADASS!!!
Not sure if serious.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

You dont f with this guy

hiroshi-yamauchi.jpg

Awful. Truly awful.

Trike

Good man.

Re: Owning platforms: You should own all of them. (I'm not perfect though, don't have a Vita or PSP.)

Ground Zeroes being announced multi-plat has shown how times have changed. I have not heard so much a whimper.

Naw man, I don't think owning all of them is necessarily a good thing (although I do, sans-Vita.). Last gen there were tons of exclusives for each system. This gen? I only used my PS3 for Valkyria Chronicles, MGS4, Tales of Graces F (and soon, Xillia), and maybe a small handful of digital titles. There isn't really many exclusives this gen. This is why Sony and Microsoft are allegedly making more of a first party focus next gen. With most big releases, MS/Sony can only hope for exclusive DLC or getting the DLC first.

You dont f with this guy

http://brooklynking.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/hiroshi-yamauchi.jpg

Yes, if he were still here and blacklisting every third party that denied him a game (like he only did with Square), then truly we would have no games. It is also clearly not Platinum's call on this one.

danmaku

I don't even see the demand for this game on the 360, let alone the Wii U.

If Call of Duty couldn't see 100K on WiiU, I doubt MGS would see 10K

Cold hard truth. Revengeance won't be a top seller even on PS360, there's not much demand for action games (see: DmC bombing) and it doesn't have insane graphics or anything else that can attract the casual crowd, aside from the Metal Gear name.

I'll throw my hat in for a yes please on a Bayonetta 1 port. Would buy the shit out of it provided it's reasonably priced and runs right (unlike the crap PS3 version I have now.)

ahm998

Cold hard truth. Revengeance won't be a top seller even on PS360, there's not much demand for action games (see: DmC bombing) and it doesn't have insane graphics or anything else that can attract the casual crowd, aside from the Metal Gear name.

how is bayonetta number on PS360 ,Mad world number on Wii?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom