• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

sörine

Banned
It's why I put it in the probably section :p
I saw that, I meant more from SPD1 and Retro specifically which you put in the never section. A new Metroid will be coming from there.

I think we could see another EAD5 co-production sneak in too since that's all they seem to be doing now (Star Fox with Q-Games, Steel Diver with Vitei, Wii Fit with Ganbarion). Not sure what, I'd love Star Fox or F-Zero but probably not.

There's also the possibility of more 3rd party pickups, especially on 3DS. You mentioned Bravely Second but I think Layton Vs AA, Fantasy Life, Puzzle & Dragons Z, DQVII and some others probably have a shot.

Ridley327

On M3DW's stages there are some frame rates problems. Did you ever play this game? Even in Zelda ww HD there are these kind of problem. DKTF has some problems like that during his loadings.

You might be confusing the hit-pause that Mario games have employed since Sunshine for actual framerate problems. No frames are being dropped at all.

Smellycat

I loved the video.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Hindl

On M3DW's stages there are some frame rates problems. Did you ever play this game? Even in Zelda ww HD there are these kind of problem. DKTF has some problems like that during his loadings.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-super-mario-3d-world

Digital Foundry said:
All of these features would be for nothing if the performance wasn't there, of course. Mario titles demand precision and a quick response that call for a solid 60 frames per second update. More so than most games aiming for this goal, EAD has managed to deliver a 100 per cent consistent update. Every moment of the game, every menu transition, and every element of the user interface all operate at 60fps without a single hitch. Shooting for 60fps is no small task and requires cooperation from the entire team throughout the development cycle, but Nintendo takes it further by taking a zero-tolerance approach to frame-rate dips.

Digital Foundry knows more than you. Don't say things when it's trivial to prove you wrong

Oxirane

This is why they need to offer downloadable demos. Can you imagine how hyped everyone would be watching Nintendo Direct streamed live, and Iwata says "turn on your Wii U. The files your system downloaded overnight have just been unlocked. Please try the new _________" and then Iwata directly explains the demo to you.

That is the future. The press telling you about the game will be irrelevant. And screw Best Buy.

The downloadable demos should have special rewards which can only be be gained by completing specific tasks during the other press conferences.

Lunar15

Like last year, both sides of the argument are overreacting. On one hand, not having a press conference isn't a huge deal: If major info is there, it'll get out. Had Nintendo shown off in a press conference the same things they showed in last year's direct, I think they would have taken a lot more criticism. It would have been a pretty weak conference. I think the only people really upset over this are enthusiast press and long time fans of the industry. At the end of the day, it's a video that only people who really care are going to watch, whether it's live or not. The press covers the games at the actual show floor.

On the other hand, not having one isn't without some negative effects. There is perception at play, and when it comes to energizing the core and the enthusiast press, it paints a less-than-stellar opinion. Sony proved that the right message (well, behind the right product) can lead to great sales. One core tenant of marketing is storytelling, and this may not be telling the story Nintendo needs right now.

That being said, I like the best buy demos and the smash bros. tournament. I think that provides a bit more heft. I also expect that nintendo's "Digital Event", will include more "special videos" like the Mega64 one here and their previous HAWP video. They're definitely trending in that "viral video" direction, and I think they'll use those in the Digital Event to create some shareable buzz. We'll see if it works out for em. The Smash Bros direct was one of their most watched videos, and I think they want to ride that wave.

Press conferences failed to build initial buzz for both the 3DS and the Wii U. Clearly it wasn't helping, even if it wasn't hurting. Now they just want to try different things. Do those things work? Will they turn it around? Probably not, but it's better than trying the same thing over and over. Really it's about product, though. If that isn't there, not even the biggest live event ever could help them out.

Between single and multi player I've played every stage in the game multiple times. The stuttering thing that happens when somebody gets hit is a design decision that nintendo's been making with 3d mario for ages. No actual frame-rate drops have ever occurred at all in the dozens of hours I've spent with it.

Whether the hit-pause thing is a good design decision is up for debate, of course. It certainly worked better in single-player than multiplayer.

The_Lump

Banned
People that are saying they don't care about not having a live audience are missing the point.

Nintendo is trying to expand their business and get people to buy the Wii U. By hiding themselves in a corner and only showing their new products to people that are already Nintendo fans isn't helping their business. Having a E3 presser gets them mainstream coverage and new eyes on their products.

It makes me think Nintendo is slowly trying to let the Wii U die and will return to E3 in a year or two when they are ready to unveil a new system and a new philosophy.

I don't think you're understanding this correctly. These events will be available to everyone, press included. If the press choose not to report the information presented within said events then that's on them. The quality and quantity of the reporting coming from E3 shouldn't come down to who put on the biggest party for the journalists. The info will still be available only its now also available to consumer straight from the source, instead of being diluted
with Mountain Dew™
by the press along the way.

I understand how that may rub some gaming websites up the wrong way, but why exactly should I care about that? Nintendo's approach might not be press friendly - and maybe that will bite them in the ass - but it is very consumer friendly so, as a consumer, I support it 100%.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
People that are saying they don't care about not having a live audience are missing the point.

Nintendo is trying to expand their business and get people to buy the Wii U. By hiding themselves in a corner and only showing their new products to people that are already Nintendo fans isn't helping their business. Having a E3 presser gets them mainstream coverage and new eyes on their products.

It makes me think Nintendo is slowly trying to let the Wii U die and will return to E3 in a year or two when they are ready to unveil a new system and a new philosophy.

- Live E3 coverage through the Nintendo Tree House medium
- Smash Bros tournament
- Smash Bros Demo Showcase at Best Buy
- E3-focused Nintendo Direct prerecorded (instead of live conference from SNE or MSFT)

How are they hiding themselves? They are actively trying various mediums to communicate with their consumers, gamers, fans.

People need to get off their high horse and realize that not having a LIVE press conference is not the end of the world and does not signify a retreat whatsoever. Reactions to Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze would of been the same regardless of a livestream event or a prerecorded one.

Linkhero1

They will be on the show floor so they're not hiding themselves from anyone.

They stream is accessible by anyone who has internet connection. Whether they choose to report information given in the Direct is their choice. Nintendo released PR for their E3 plans. Do you know who PRs are meant for?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Why do people want an E3 conference? I've been watching snippets of old conferences and they seem very limited and brief (and sometimes hampered by on site technical issues).

This shotgun approach is exciting and I can't wait to have my hair blown back by some great Nintendo announcements.

Garou

Live Press Conference:
- Everybody not at E3 watches a stream
- The Press watches it and writes about it afterwards

Digital Event:

So?

fukube

Neo Member
3DW was plenty impressive and in my opinion better than Galaxy. Sure Galaxy had the spectacle but 3DW had better designed levels. And what about DK? Are 2D games somehow lesser? DK TF is better than any game out on the PS4 or Xbox One now and is perfect.

And Pikmin 3? Yes it was a Wii game, but aside from some muddy ground textures the game looks and plays phenomenally. The water in that game is incredible. And we're all expecting to be blown away by Zelda U. Plus, as others have said, X invalidates a lot of your concerns about large, HD open worlds

I never blamed the gameplay of DKCTF & 3DW. I just talked about the HD and the frame rate. It works well on DKTF stages because it is 2d game (or 2.5D if you want). But when you are on the sea in WWHD sometimes there are technicals problems. 3DW runs very well when the level are closed or short but on few stages we can see a deceleration of fps.
X is not released yet. Nintendo has just shown a trailer and few minutes of gameplay. What is the impressive stuff in that?

Chindogg

You mean by having an online event with massive booths where all the mainstream press will be for announcements and hands on demos?

Seriously does anyone ever actually think about these things before posting anymore?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Live Press Conference:

Digital Event:

So?

Those press folks didn't get their ego stroked so Nintendo must pay.

Cse

Banned
This is absolutely huge. It shows me that Nintendo is transforming as a company.

The fact that they're not only embracing the competitive Smash community, but actually hosting a Smash tournament is incredible.

Also, they must really, really feel confident for E3 given that video. They just raised everyone's hype level into the stratosphere - I can't wait to see what they've got.

Sadist

Live Press Conference:

Digital Event:

So?

This should be quoted for the next six weeks.

The Boat

The downloadable demos should have special rewards which can only be be gained by completing specific tasks during the other press conferences.
Downloadable demos would of course be great, but many times the demos aren't made to run on commercial Wii Us as it takes some time and work and demos are usually being worked on until the last minute.

This isn't the case all the times, but it's frequent afaik.

Super Smash Bros. Invitational Tournament?

You mean we'll be getting to see people who actually know how to fucking play Smash Bros. play the game so we can get a significantly more accurate assessment of it? HYPE! Hopefully they'll get at least a small amount of time to practice beforehand though.

I'm guessing this is our E3 thread this year then, before we start hopping around again.

We already got confirmed:

-Zelda U Reveal (EAD2)
-Zelda Hyrule Warriors (Techmo)
-Smash Bros. U/3DS (Namco/Sakauri)
-X (Monolith)
-Bayonetta 2 (Platinum)
-Yarn Yoshi (hopefully the'll reveal some new info) (Good Feel)
-Bravely Default 2

To announce (probable):

-Pokemon 3DS stuff (Game Freak)
-Animal Crossing U (EAD 1) - Plaza finishes end of this year
-Metroid 3DS? (hints from Sakomoto currently signing stuff off)
-Pokemon Fighters/Wii U/ whatever that preview was last autumn/fall (Game Freak)
-EAD 4 has an unknown title after Pikmin 3 (already had delays to release)
-Miyamoto's fabled' New IP' (I have doubts on this appearing )
-Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem (Intelligent Systems)
- Grezzo (Majoras Mask 3D)
-Monster Games?

EDIT:
Next level are working with Nintendo
QoL will probably not be shown due to target market/E3 audience, etc...... [-Nintendo's Integrated R&D - Quality of Life Related Materials]

Weren't they meant to be showing off a new NFC game? I think that's one of things that Iwata said at the last briefing.

I expect
Majora's Mask 3D
Advance Wars 3D
Metroid 3Dread
Secret NFC game
Zelda U

as the main 5 reveals

Rikkun

The hype is getting stronger, but Ninty what about an actual demo for people who actually bought your home console? Or, you know, the ones who don't live in the States.

Kacho

This is gonna be sick! What are the chances this thread'll get to 100 pages before E3?

There's a good chance as NintendoGAF is crazy like that. However, in my experience these threads always get out of hand, especially as we get closer to the actual event, so I predict a lock at some point.

Hindl

I never blamed the gameplay of DKCTF & 3DW. I just talked about the HD and the frame rate. It works well on DKTF stages because it is 2d game (or 2.5D if you want). But when you are on the sea in WWHD sometimes there are technicals problems. 3DW runs very well when the level are closed or short but on few stages we can see a deceleration of fps.
X is not released yet. Nintendo has just shown a trailer and few minutes of gameplay. What is the impressive stuff in that?

WWHD stayed locked at 30 fps because that's what the animations were at. I will grant that there were dips at sea.

But I will not let 3DW go. Provide any example of this, as every frame rate analyst the world over has specifically said 3DW stays locked 60 fps. See digital foundry again

XenodudeX

Live Press Conference:

Digital Event:

So?

Seriously.

Lunar15

This should be quoted for the next six weeks.

While it's true, you do get some negative press leading up to it. You could also argue that the fringe, mainstream outlets that would go to a big press conference won't pay attention to this.

But none of that stuff is really proven to have an effect. Nothing shown off last year was big enough to really really energize anyone, so it's tough to say that going with a direct was an issue.

The narrative just isn't one a lot of people here want. And I don't blame them for that. We're used to winners and losers and "who had the most applause". Those are all valid metrics for fan excitement an engagement. Getting people talking about that stuff *does* work, and I think both the Wii and the PS4 are huge indicators of that. But then you have stuff where the 3DS had a huge buzz coming out of E3 but then had a flat launch.

Absolutely delightful video, and I couldn't be more excited at the push they're giving Smash Bros. That tournament will no-doubt be incredibly fun to watch.

Also, gonna have to go ahead and take June 10th off of work, gonna have to find a Best Buy that's doing the SSB thing... and the closest one will likely be like an hour away. But that's all right. SSB is worth it.

Chindogg

The hype is getting stronger, but Ninty what about an actual demo for people who actually bought your home console? Or, you know, the ones who don't live in the States.

Kinda hard to push preproduction software onto production hardware sometimes. We'll see.

Then again why would Europe care anyways, its not like Nintendo makes FIFA.

RiggyRob

There's a good chance as NintendoGAF is crazy like that. However, in my experience these threads always get out of hand, especially as we get closer to the actual event, so I predict a lock at some point.

I've never seen a Direct or E3 thread be locked before, so I'm pretty confident it won't happen now.

Man all that sounds awesome.
I hope one of the Best Buys near me is gonna have a Smash Bros setup though.

Gotta preorder a ticket for the hype train.

Paskil

As a spectator, won't this be not as much fun to watch as a Brawl or Melee tournament? Unless the sixteen players have some type of previous experience playing the game, they will probably be largely unfamiliar with controls and the play style of the most recent iteration.

It will be cool to finally see people playing it, but I don't know, maybe I'm missing something here.

TreIII

Live Press Conference:

Digital Event:

So?
Finally, THANK YOU.

Top Bottom