• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

Linkhero1

As a spectator, won't this be not as much fun to watch as a Brawl or Melee tournament? Unless the sixteen players have some type of previous experience playing the game, they will probably be largely unfamiliar with controls and the play style of the most recent iteration.

It will be cool to finally see people playing it, but I don't know, maybe I'm missing something here.

I know what you mean, but you can probably equate this to watching a hands-on demo of the game, except in tournament format with a potential prize in the end :p

The_Lump

Banned
No conference with a live audience. "SERIOUSLY!? WTF NINTENDO!?"

Geez this was one of the main problems last year. People genuinely thought Nintendo wasn't even at E3 due to the fact that they didn't have a live conference with a live audience. Didn't they learn anything from last year?

Do you seriously not see how that is a problem with the coverage and not Nintendo? The "live conference" is a press event. The "live audience" are press. They are literally the only people who directly gain anything from a live stage show. They then pass on what they gain (the information) to the consumers through their coverage. That information however, is just as available to them through what Nintendo has announced today as it is through a live stage show. The only difference here is that the consumer directly gets the same information and in exactly way.

If there is any negative implication towards the coverage from doing it this way then I really don't see how that is anyone's fault besides those doing the covering.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Between this, the increasing presence of Treehouse, the Tomodachi Direct and others, I think all of these new ads/directs are an intentional method Nintendo is trying out. To me they're clearly trying to change their image in the eyes of other gamers by having a sense of humor about themselves. It's true that in many ways Nintendo is clearly out of touch, but it is clear that they are listening as well.

I like this new direction. Keep going with it, Nintendo.

For example I remember the level 5-4 has some framerate matters:

etoile2-22.jpg

And this is the only level which is built in an open scale.

I think you're confusing "frame drops" with "pop ins"

Ridley327

As a spectator, won't this be not as much fun to watch as a Brawl or Melee tournament? Unless the sixteen players have some type of previous experience playing the game, they will probably be largely unfamiliar with controls and the play style of the most recent iteration.

It will be cool to finally see people playing it, but I don't know, maybe I'm missing something here.

I imagine that they will get some warm-up time with the game before the tournament.

Zia

Smash Bros tournament? Mega64 announcement video? Cute hashtag campaign? Perfect, progressive and particularly un-Nintendo.

I hope they deliver.

Kacho

I've never seen a Direct or E3 thread be locked before, so I'm pretty confident it won't happen now.

Direct thread, no. But when that speculation starts and "rumors" start dropping...haha

Happened on a few occasions last year iirc.

ironcreed

Banned
Seriously, what counts is what is shown. I really don't care if they are up there going through the same motions as Microsoft and Sony or not. They would probably stand a bigger chance of being swallowed up by their hype if they did. Which is what they don't need.

On the other hand, being off to the side gives them their own stage to let their reveals shine on. It's obvious they have big plans for it and I am glad that they are not risking going head to head with the other two where all of the third party games are. Show me those exclusives and what makes the system stand on it's own.

ohlawd

WWHD stayed locked at 30 fps because that's what the animations were at. I will grant that there were dips at sea.

But I will not let 3DW go. Provide any example of this, as every frame rate analyst the world over has specifically said 3DW stays locked 60 fps. See digital foundry again
let it go, dude. He is convinced. Even a hookup with ScarJo won't sway him.

The games drops from 60 FPS like 0.0000001% of the time. Still, I was more impressed with this game technically than any other 2013 title.

Live Press Conference:
- Everybody not at E3 watches a stream
- The Press watches it and writes about it afterwards

Digital Event:

So?

Crowd reactions are important, didn't you see Sony's Japanese PS4 launch?

These types of demos are not thoroughly bug-tested as they are specially constructed builds, so they have an inherent risk that don't normally exist in ordinary demos. So they have to be maintained in a controlled environment where trained individuals can react quickly to any unexpected issues.

udivision

Live Press Conference:

Digital Event:

So?

Ugh too complicated man. It's gonna take a whole 'nother year before my mind can grasp the computationalism you're getting at.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Live Press Conference:

Digital Event:

So?

Keighly is salty that he won't get extra money/ratings for Spike.

I saw that video where he tried to get Mega64 to stop talking about Nintendo. That was gross.

KoopaTheCasual

Mario Kart 8 Review
Super Smash Bros Tournament @ E3
Super Smash Bros Demo @ Best Buy
Nintendo E3 Date confirmed
Project Treehouse?!

NINTENDO HYPE! HECCCCK YEAHHHHH!
OMGGGGGG! HYPE!

Yea, ok, probably no conference (but there will be a direct), but they'll have HUGE presence at E3 this year, which is the whole point of the conference. I think this was a very very smart move on their part, to showcase their big title and get the common gamer super fucking hype.

Linkhero1

hmm so what's going on on neogaf today

TAKING A WEEK OFF WORK

I'LL BE AT BEST BUY

TELL MY FAMILY I LOVE THEM

Where's the gif when you find out that your local best buy won't have smash available and the nearest best buy that does is hours away?

HUELEN10

This worries me. With so much emphasis on smash, it's like they are sorta telling us there is not much else. At least that is the vibe I get. Sad that this year's public event will be Smash exclusives as opposed to a smorgasbord of content.

Live Press Conference:

Digital Event:

So?
I do think you lose some of the excitement by doing it streaming, but that doesn't matter all that much if they put together a good video. The reason last year's was so bad was because no one could watch it. Hopefully they fix the streaming issues this year.

Ridley327

These types of demos are not thoroughly bug-tested as they are specially constructed builds, so they have an inherent risk that don't normally exist in ordinary demos. So they have to be maintained in a controlled environment where trained individuals can react quickly to any unexpected issues.

On top of that, I imagine that Nintendo is very savvy to the works of data miners these days, and having a public release of the demo could jeopardize the hype roll-out of the title. Getting even one character leaked out before the 3DS version hits would be damaging.

KoopaTheCasual

I don't know how people can be disappointed right now. This is Nintendo actually thinking forward, for once. This is them taking steps to ensure they stay in the news, and it seems like they understand they're fighting an uphill battle against irrelevance.

Exile20

I never blamed the gameplay of DKCTF & 3DW. I just talked about the HD and the frame rate. It works well on DKTF stages because it is 2d game (or 2.5D if you want). But when you are on the sea in WWHD sometimes there are technicals problems. 3DW runs very well when the level are closed or short but on few stages we can see a deceleration of fps.
X is not released yet. Nintendo has just shown a trailer and few minutes of gameplay. What is the impressive stuff in that?

You are complaining that Nintendo can't do huge worlds in HD. There were about two trailers with gameplay and a direct with the game demonstration. It was far more than a few minutes. What do you think is going to be different from what we saw so far which is a lot to what it will be when released? Dude please stop.

Live Press Conference:

Digital Event:

So?

Last year totally wasn't a disaster when it came to reception for Nintendo... oh wait. Can't believe the defenders bring up the same shit now as last year. Just like Nintendo, not learning a thing.
And since this confirms that they still have no clue what's going on in the real world, my expectations are again dead (though I'm sure they'll find some way to disappoint, as usual. I'm just gonna guess Zelda will be another lowtier effort like the current Marios)

Linkhero1

This worries me. With so much emphasis on smash, it's like they are sorta telling us there is not much else. At least that is the vibe I get. Sad that this year's public event will be Smash exclusives as opposed to a smorgasbord of content.

That's really jumping the gun there. They usually put a lot of emphasis on their heavy hitters. Don't be surprised if we see another trailer for MK8 during their Direct, even though it's out.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
On top of that, I imagine that Nintendo is very savvy to the works of data miners these days, and having a public release of the demo could jeopardize the hype roll-out of the title. Getting even one character leaked out before the 3DS version hits would be damaging.

5% of Nintendo's payroll is paying the Ninja.

Davey Cakes

So many overreactions. Christ.

Most E3 live conferences have been so-so over the last several years. 2009 and 2010 were good but not any better than what Nintendo could do with this Digital Event.

Last year had positives and negatives with the Direct but Nintendo still had an E3 presence. I think this year won't be an exact repeat; it seems like Nintendo's trying to improve on that approach rather than revert back to the ways of old. I honestly find it refreshing.

Just be happy that Nintendo is planning a variety of things for E3 and that they're still showing confidence after the recent turbulence.

Do you seriously not see how that is a problem with the coverage and not Nintendo? The "live conference" is a press event. The "live audience" are press. They are literally the only people who directly gain anything from a live stage show. They then pass on what they gain (the information) to the consumers through their coverage. That information however, is just as available to them through what Nintendo has announced today as it is through a live stage show. The only difference here is that the consumer directly gets the same information and in exactly way.

If there is any negative implication towards the coverage from doing it this way then I really don't see how that is anyone's fault besides those doing the covering.

This, 100% this!

Taker666

While it's true, you do get some negative press leading up to it. You could also argue that the fringe, mainstream outlets that would go to a big press conference won't pay attention to this.

But none of that stuff is really proven to have an effect. Nothing shown off last year was big enough to really really energize anyone, so it's tough to say that going with a direct was an issue.

The narrative just isn't one a lot of people here want. And I don't blame them for that. We're used to winners and losers and "who had the most applause". Those are all valid metrics for fan excitement an engagement. Getting people talking about that stuff *does* work, and I think both the Wii and the PS4 are huge indicators of that. But then you have stuff where the 3DS had a huge buzz coming out of E3 but then had a flat launch.

Not really. Both Sony and Microsoft have been called out in recent months in regards to using canned applause at conferences.Some of the gaming media revealed it was Microsoft employees at the back of the room who were cheering at their conference last year.

Nintendo could pre-record their Digital Event in front of a 1000 strong crowd of Nintendo employees if they wished(so it looked live)... and they'd get as legitmate a crowd reaction as most conferences.

Live Press Conference:

Digital Event:

So?
Bravo, Sir. Thank you

DaBoss

Last year totally wasn't a disaster when it came to reception for Nintendo... oh wait. Can't believe the defenders bring up the same shit now as last year. Just like Nintendo, not learning a thing.
And since this confirms that they still have no clue what's going on in the real world, my expectations are again dead (though I'm sure they'll find some way to disappoint, as usual. I'm just gonna guess Zelda will be another lowtier effort like the current Marios)
So you're complaining about the content of last year's E3 instead of the method they used to present it and then associating it with the method they used?

Do you see how flawed your logic is? But I shouldn't expect any better since you still can't accept that 3D World has been positively received and still don't want to admit it lol.

Hiltz

Another live stream is fine by me as long as it doesn't get messed by by technical issues. We already know most of the content they'll be focusing on, so there likely won't be too many surprises beyond a first look at titles like Fire Emblem X SMT, Fatal Frame, possibly Zelda and new 3DS titles. QOL platform probably won't be actually revealed but just discussed further. Anyway, it's not like a successful E3 is going to change Wii U's fate. At best, the console is a supplemental platform to most gamers, and if they aren't interested enough in picking up a Wii U for the big upcoming titles we've known about for quite some time, then Nintendo wasn't likely going to get them to change their minds anyway. That is to say, especially not without another official price cut and substantial third party support (the former of which could happen but it seems quite low given Iwata's statement earlier this year, while the latter is limited to mostly Nintendo Japanese publishing partnerships and the occasional port that won't likely sell well anyway).

AniHawk

last year i think microsoft or nintendo had the best shows. just trailer after trailer until the thing was over. but if there was one thing that became abundantly clear was that watching sony, ubisoft, ea, and microsoft was that press conferences are looooooong and not always talking about the things you want to hear (sony-guy talking about tv for 10 minutes, and generally transitions between presenters which has some dead time in between).

and last year i noted it was odd that nintendo, the company with the worst online infrastructure had the best method of presenting their stuff, and that they had been increasingly internet-focused as a means of controlling their message.

this seems to be a far bigger push than last year. while last year i think they hit all the right notes, it felt like nintendo didn't really want people to care a whole lot about what was happening. at least with this it seems they're a lot more interested in pushing the presentation aspect. hopefully this and the tomodachi direct, and the smash direct are a sign of things to come.

rjinaz

I never blamed the gameplay of DKCTF & 3DW. I just talked about the HD and the frame rate. It works well on DKTF stages because it is 2d game (or 2.5D if you want). But when you are on the sea in WWHD sometimes there are technicals problems. 3DW runs very well when the level are closed or short but on few stages we can see a deceleration of fps.
X is not released yet. Nintendo has just shown a trailer and few minutes of gameplay. What is the impressive stuff in that?

Zelda Wii U isn't out either which you originally brought up in your point. There really isn't much on PS4 or Xbox One that currently is all that impressive either outside of pretty graphics. Those games will come as will X and Zelda for the Wii U.

We only have three videos about X and I think it looks impressive but I also know what kind of games Monolith Soft makes and what kind of game Xenoblade was which this is obviously very similar to so I know it will be an impressive game, the kind of game in which I think "feels" impressive enough that it is obvious we are in a new generation of gaming.

The reception to the event was only because of the shitty stream and people not liking the content. Nintendo has improved their streams since then and content has nothing to do with whether its a press conference. And 3D world was amazing

The_Lump

Banned

I think the video emphasized well that there is more to come. I mean the whole point was that the "Fils-A-Mech" was working his way towards the big news, only to be thwarted and have to wait until E3 like the rest of us. The Smash stuff was right in he middle of the video.

Plus on twitter they specifically mention "2014 & Beyond" and refer to it as "the one you've been waiting for". That's enough to give me faith that there will at least be more surprises than last year.

Maybe.

RiggyRob

I'd rather they concentrate on Smash than have nothing.

Plus there are many Wii U / 3DS titles we'll see at E3.

Sandfox

I'm hyped to see the Smash Bros tournament and Smash is probably the only game I would be willing to play at a Best Buy.

I do think you lose some of the excitement by doing it streaming, but that doesn't matter all that much if they put together a good video. The reason last year's was so bad was because no one could watch it. Hopefully they fix the streaming issues this year.

Nintendo has started to use services like Youtube and Twitch for their streams so it shouldn't lag like last year.

hal9001

Banned
I think the press was partly mad because the actual press event, the hands-on demo, was pretty uncomfortable. Because they didn't set up a stage but still had people speaking, everyone had to crowd around Reggie while he yelled slogans at them. A lot of people just laughed.

Now Keighley, Keighley totally had his feelings hurt by something. He got surprisingly mad about Wii Fit Trainer and called it the biggest faux-pas in E3 history. I think he wanted Nintendo's show simulcast to Spike and GTTV and Nintendo didn't agree (to their detriment). I can't imagine he will be happy about Nintendo streaming developer diaries themselves all day.

Super Smash Bros. Invitational Tournament :
During E3, at Nokia Theatre, Nintendo will host the very first Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS tournament. 16 high-skilled players will compete, and fans can go to watch it in LA. It'll be broadcast live too.

He'll probably be invited to do something as a presenter.

-Horizon-

Project Tree House sounds pretty interesting.

And they said at the end there will be new games and debuts.

Theres going to be things other than Smash, don't worry :D

raven777

Live Press Conference:

Digital Event:

So?

They feel different you have have a live conference in a big hall with lots of people. You know there is a reason why the camera shows the crowd lots of the time during live events. Something like last year's Sony conference where they announce no DRM and price of PS4 won't feel the same if you are watching in a pre-recorded video with announcer just announcing.

There is a reason people get excited at live conference events, even if it's watching at home through livestream. Things like MWC, and apple event where they announce new products like iphone or ipad.

Top Bottom