• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

antonz

The Press doesn't care about Nintendo in all honesty and Nintendo is tired of caring about them as far as spending millions to put on a song and dance for them.

Nintendo flew tons of Press up to see the Wii U a week before it was shown at E3. Those same people at E3 started the whole derp is it a new console or addon schtick.

You would think the Press would be happy they don't have to sit and listen to PR speak for 2 hours and instead get to jump right into the games. I mean afterall that is why they are there to play games and give gamers an idea of what they played.

Am I the only one enjoying the duality of topics?

1) The official news topic discusses what Nintendo announced to occur pre/during E3, and is generally positive and rife with discussion

2) The plethora of old'd topics discuss what Nintendo isn't doing (a traditional on-stage pre-E3 show) and is generally reactionary and negative

The title of the post really does make a big difference.

I think it's safe to assume that the new announcements themselves won't be particularly strong (Now that Smash really is the christmas title and most of the Januray 13 Direct has still to come out over the next years) and certainly not strong enough to help their already bad image. The perception of the WiiU is as bad as ever and they certainly aren't helping themselves by being the awkward cheapskates compared to their competitors at the biggest event of their industry. Doing a normal E3 is the least they should do and the format also allows for much better hype building. Some Zelda orchestra in a prerecorded stream would be pretty fucking lame for example.

The funny thing is...for nearly everyone the event will just be a stream. Doesnt matter if they present it with an normal conference or not. And I doubt the press will pass on Nintendo like they did last year. There were two new consoles at last years E3...even with an normal conference no one would have cared for nintendo.
So please stop thinking you know everything best and that Nintendo should act like you think they should, it starts to get really boring.

Everywhere I look it's all "Nintendo won't have a live conference" headlines and shit. Jesus Christ, they fuel on negativity.

Because Nintendo is dumb. Everyone would go nuts if they changed the Digital Event with Live Press Conference, everyone would hype. Nintendo makes some things right and a criticial thing wrong, thats the problem.

Albo

I wonder why they don't hold a mario kart tournament/event at E3 and retailers. That still needs to be marketed post release, and why not expose it to the E3 gamer crowd as much as possible.

cacildo

What i really want is for nintendo to make sure everybody can watch the "digital event" withou hiccups or lag

Maybe we should somehow contact nintendo about it

Because last E3 the direct wasnt a bad presentation at all, but it was almost impossible to follow due to freezes and disconnections

Vire

I think the thread title and opening post should reflect that there will be no actual live conference held.

I didn't know until I loaded up Polygon just now.

javac

Who says it'll just be Iwata in any case. I wanna see Reggie and Bill and the guys walking around the Treehouse, talking to the devs themselves, interviews etc. Not some live event where it's just a guy standing in the dark playing Assassin's Creed by himself or Aisha trying to be funny, or Miyamoto fumbling with his remote and Kinect and fucking Wonderbook demos. Now if it's anything like Konamis 2010 conference...that's something I'd pay to see.

I think it's safe to assume that the new announcements themselves won't be particularly strong (Now that Smash really is the christmas title and most of the Januray 13 Direct has still to come out over the next years) and certainly not strong enough to help their already bad image. The perception of the WiiU is as bad as ever and they certainly aren't helping themselves by being the awkward cheapskates compared to their competitors at the biggest event of their industry. Doing a normal E3 is the least they should do and the format also allows for much better hype building. Some Zelda orchestra in a prerecorded stream would be pretty fucking lame for example.

Seriously. Whats wrong with you? New announcements won´t be strong? What? Cheapskates? What? The booth will be big as always + they rented the fucking nokia theatre for a couple of days straight. Oh right, they don´t have a guy with lame jokes and "experience" here and "experience" there on the stage to show you some trailers, but hey, maybe they will, right there at the nokia theatre. Goddamn. You are trying way too hard.

Riki

I think the thread title and opening post should reflect that there will be no actual live conference held.

I didn't know until I loaded up Polygon just now.
Why does that matter? Is it going to change anything for you personally?

nikatapi

I like that they are moving away from a live press conference, these events are almost always kind of awkward, and i hope those videos will be focused on new games without any bloat and unnecessary info.

Hopefully they'll announce a new metroid game.

Vire

Why does that matter? Is it going to change anything for you personally?

Why does it matter? It's news worthy and yes it upsets me that they are continuing not to do so.

You would think they would have learned from last year that it wasn't successful skipping it.

cacildo

Seriously. Whats wrong with you? New announcements won´t be strong? What? Cheapskates? What? The booth will be big as always + they rented the fucking nokia theatre for a couple of days straight. Oh right, they don´t have a guy with lame jokes and "experience" here and "experience" there on the stage to show you some trailers, but hey, maybe they will, right there at the nokia theatre. Goddamn. You are trying way too hard.

god i hate ~experiences~

I think something is wrong with your fanboyism, sir. He's totally right and everyone without a red Nintendo glass knows that.

Sandfox

Why does it matter? It's news worthy and yes it upsets me that they are continuing not to do so.

You would think they would have learned from last year that it wasn't successful skipping it.
I'm sure they felt positive about how they approached E3 last year.
No lag and I'm in the pre-recorded video camp.

Though, realistically, the lag will be awful.

It should be be better than last year.

I think something is wrong with your fanboyism, sir. He's totally right and everyone without a red Nintendo glass knows that.

His entire arugement is built on an assumption he pulled out of his ass so I don't see how you can say that anyone who doesn't agree with him is a fanboy.

Codeblue

What wasn't successful? What should they have learned? What difference does it make to you personally that it would upset you?

Can you elaborate?

I wish people would stop worrying so much about ~~publicity~~ and realize there's going to be a brand fuckin' new HD Zelda shown. That in itself is going to guarantee this doesn't get ignored.

Linkhero1

So if they showed up they would have been more successful? How so? Can you elaborate further?

I wish people would stop worrying so much about ~~publicity~~ and realize there's going to be a brand fuckin' new HD Zelda shown. That in itself is going to guarantee this doesn't get ignored.

Me gusta

Yeah, then everybody will bitch about the art direction of the game but at least it will be about a game and not the tangential stuff.

Exile20

What i really want is for nintendo to make sure everybody can watch the "digital event" withou hiccups or lag

Maybe we should somehow contact nintendo about it

Because last E3 the direct wasnt a bad presentation at all, but it was almost impossible to follow due to freezes and disconnections

They are using Youtube and Ustream this time around. Share the load.

Blues1990

The only thing I'm asking for, is for the live stream to be much more stable than it was at E3 2013. I'm fine with what they have announced, and I can't wait to blow people away as Mega Man at my local Best Buy.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member

Learned what, exactly? That some random journalists are upset because they couldn't cheer for that one spokesperson talking buzzwords for 5 minutes straight?

An efficient Direct focused completely on games and announcements plus events (like booking an entire threatre) focused for crowds that are interested in their games is far more appealing. How can it not be?

I honestly feel like the majority of people just hear "no conference" as some extreme negative without actually having an opinion of it themselves. They'll read about it on some news site and continue to ride their "opinion".

AdanVC

I just hope they do a better job of the Digital stream than they did last year.

It will be better I'm sure. That's because Nintendo has truly been shown an improvement on their broadcasts lately, they have been going into a more "relax/chill/fun" approach while also mantaining the main focus of being informative with their announcements. That Smash Bros. Direct was a damn good example of that and that broadcast already is waaaay better than last years Nintendo Direct at E3 so we can expect lot's of goodness this time.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
They better have new stuff to announce, and their streams able to hold up, then everything will be dandy.

HUELEN10

Don't wanna be a party pooper, but has Nintendo ever confirmed when they were going to show their next Zelda? People have in the past assumed, and it's got out of hand, sorta like with the long road to Skyward Sword.

I'm willing to bet we see both Zelda Wii U and Majora's Mask 3DS.
Speculation or was this confirmed?
The entire video is playing Zelda music! And it gets louder near the development door at the end. And they wanted to show it last year. It's confirmed or I'll eat my own face.

Top Bottom