• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

The_Lump

Banned
Sure, no problem.

The Nintendo Direct last year for the the E3 press conference only received 1.6 million views on Youtube. This is a paltry number compared to the amount of exposure and viewership they would have received from third party networks in the past.

What this means for Nintendo:

1. No coverage on national television on networks like Spike TV because of the lack of lives press conference.

2. Headlines relegated to small news stories on major sites like IGN, Gamespot, Gametrailers etc, instead of the hundreds of thousands of viewers who watching the live streams daily.

3. And finally, a lack of excitement/energy and buzz of the crowd reaction, or "being the talk of the show".

It's pretty disappointing to be honest.

Point 2 and 3 stem directly from point 1. So again...all problems with gaming journalism imo. It basically boiled down to: No swanky event for press = no swanky press coverage for Nintendo.

Just because it pleases the press and because, ultimately, it works; doesn't make ok.

HUELEN10

Whyyy Nintendo???

Offer a trial demo for the duration of the E3 ): there are other people around the world who would like to play this.
Word of mouth and limited time keeps things fresh and current, a demo for all would get stale and be only for those who already own the console.

From a marketing perspective, it's genius.

When your desperately trying to gain traction with the mass market and not just the nintendo fans with Zelda tattoos how in the world does a subdued conference make sense.

Since when is E3 attended by or shown to anyone with simply a passing interest in the market? What, are there supermarkets that showed their shoppers the feed from live Nintendo conferences that won't show the subdued events out of principle?

Vire

Shane Satterfield is not happy, I think.

jgCBXTnVyJtYL.png

He's right, anyone who says that E3 press conferences have little to no meaning didn't watch Sony's last year.

The Anti-DRM/Used games portion was hugely successful for their brand and image going forward. Just seems like another misstep for Nintendo in a long list of them... :/

ironcreed

Banned
I'm totally fine with these plans, but after seeing how IGN decided to cover it I can't say I'm looking forward to a repeat of last year's "Nintendo are skipping E3" rubbish.

What is sad is that you will probably hear more about that than the new Zelda and whatever else they show. The content should not take a backseat to how they decide to present it.

mclem

Here's what I don't get.

Why is Nintendo not hosting a live conference, when they're hosting the Smash tournament in the exact same stage they would the conference?

I don't get the logic, why does the tournament take priority over the conference?

They'll probably show the footage from the Event on the screen at the time the Event takes place.

(And using the word Direct is less silly than just referring to The Event. REMAIN INDOORS)

JoeM86

He's right, anyone who says that E3 press conferences have little to know meaning didn't watch Sony's last year.

The Anti-DRM/Used games portion was hugely successful for their brand and image going forward. Just seems like another misstep for Nintendo in a long list of them... :/

How was the other 1 hour and 30 minutes of the conference, though?

Vire

Point 2 and 3 stem directly from point 1. So again...all problems with gaming journalism imo. It basically boiled down to: No swanky event for press = no swanky press coverage for Nintendo.

Yeah exactly, so we are in agreement? Which is why I said it was a rather big mistake not to do so?
How was the other 1 hour and 30 minutes of the conference, though?

Pretty mediocre, but that's not what major sites report on or the national media. There were news stories on CNN and Yahoo for days about the issue.

What is sad is that you will probably hear more about that than the new Zelda and whatever else they show. The content should not take a backseat to how they decide to present it.

IGN:

Man, Zelda looks absolutely fantastic BUT IT'S A GODDAM SHAME THAT IT WASN'T UP THERE FOR THE WORLD TO SEE.

fukube

Neo Member
Zelda isn't as big as mario, kart, pokemon, or Smash. This is nice, but let's not pretend like it's going to do something aside from getting the crowd hyped...but since there won't be a crowd.
The sales of the Zelda's serie are not huge but it attracts people. Mario is a system seller but people need to be convinced with graphics and technology. Imagine just a realy big Zelda and peole will probably think that the U is not so poor compare to a PS4.

Exile20

Sure, no problem.

The Nintendo Direct last year for the the E3 press conference only received 1.6 million views on Youtube. This is a paltry number compared to the amount of exposure and viewership they would have received from third party networks in the past.

What this means for Nintendo:

1. No coverage on national television on networks like Spike TV because of the lack of lives press conference.

There was coverage from all the usual networks, having a live conference is not going to change the coverage. The press will update their twitter/web site as usual. The press watches the same Nintendo stream as everyone else. Last year was kinda difference because it was just before Sony and MS new console launches.

2. Headlines relegated to small news stories on major sites like IGN, Gamespot, Gametrailers etc, instead of the hundreds of thousands of viewers who watching the live streams daily.

There were just as much headlines as any E3. Were there any news that was in the direct that wasn't on websites?

3. And finally, a lack of excitement/energy and buzz of the crowd reaction, or "being the talk of the show".

Most people are not there to really enjoy the excitement and yes hearing people cheer can add to the show but does it really change anything? The hairs stood up on my arms just as much during the smash section of the video than the previous live shows.

It's pretty disappointing to be honest.

javac

When your desperately trying to gain traction with the mass market and not just the nintendo fans with Zelda tattoos how in the world does a subdued conference make sense.

People at home want YouTube trailers. Quick and simple. Not everyone really cares if they have a fancy event. Just show the games and give us the dates. This information will be found in all the same avenues. Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, gaming press, PR, forums etc. No different.

Nintendo announced a crap load via Nintendo Directs exclusively. Pokemon X and Y, NSMB2, Mario Golf, X, SMT X FE, Yarn Yoshi, Kirby 3D, A Link Between worlds was shown at some random 3DS event and they even announced the 3DS XL itself weeks after E3 at a random Direct. This information did not get lost. We all got the message. Everything is and was fine.

DNAbro

He's right, anyone who says that E3 press conferences have little to know meaning didn't watch Sony's last year.

All the good it did Microsoft. No one at E3 even talked about their conference, it was all about "So about that DRM? No used games?" That was their biggest story, not the conference itself. Hell that E3 ruined Xbone in many peoples' eyes.

The conference itself is good for your image, i don't believe it correlates to sales.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a bit disappointed they won't be hosting a press conference this year either, but it's nice to see they are increasing their E3 presence. The Treehouse thing seems especially intriguing.

41 days to go.

save millions from not doing a press conference. smart.

their show floor presence must be strong though.

Not much saving if they'll be having some tournament on the Nokia Theatre stage.

Nintendo is incredibly moronic, and I hope this descent into the bottomless pit will help shake up their executive profile. Sorry Mr. Iwata, but your company cannot, and I quote, "do anything [it] wants".

As someone who's routinely tuned into gaming news, I don't really see much of a difference between what Nintendo's doing now and what Microsoft and Sony are doing. The biggest difference is Nintendo's probably saving some money by putting together a pre-recorded video and posting it online rather than the expense of hosting a live event, and streaming it online.

Although, I do see how it can hurt Nintendo's mainstream press coverage. Let's face it, the press likes being wined and dined. And while they're not exactly being taken out to a buffet by Microsoft and Sony, that free live press event (possibly with gift baggies) does wonders in catching the attention of the larger press. As far as the gaming press goes, Nintendo's probably going to get as much coverage as Microsoft or Sony. When it comes to the greater scope of media, Nintendo's going to be a footnote at E3.

If you believe that matters or not, you can just look at the lack of Wii U coverage from last year's E3, compared to PS4 and Xbox One coverage, and the resulting sales of each. I don't WANT those trends to continue, but I feel there's a pretty good chance of it coming out of this E3.

botty

Banned
The sales of the Zelda's serie are not huge but it attracts people. Mario is a system seller but people need to be convinced with graphics and technology. Imagine just a realy big Zelda and peole will probably think that the U is not so poor compare to a PS4.

I really hope so, mate.

Not much saving if they'll be having some tournament on the Nokia Theatre stage.

Nintendo is incredibly moronic, and I hope this descent into the bottomless pit will help shake up their executive profile. Sorry Mr. Iwata, but your company cannot, and I quote, "do anything [it] wants".

It's worked so far, they drive better cars(and bicycles) than all of us.

Vire

All the good it did Microsoft. No one at E3 even talked about their conference, it was all about "So about that DRM? No used games?" That was their biggest story, not the conference itself. Hell that E3 ruined Xbone in many peoples' eyes.

The conference itself is good for your image, i don't believe it correlates to sales.

Well yes of course, there is a risk when you do a live conference that you may do more damage than good. (See Sony E3 2006).

But the potential benefit/reward should not be understated. As Shane said, there's a reason that Microsoft and Sony continue to put huge amounts of money into these presentations.

Millions, Billions (!) of dollars on press conferences. So, what´s making them so expensive? The room? Nintendo got this

for several days instead just 2 hours. What else? The trailers? Check, those wont make any difference. A live presentation of a game? If this cost you millions you are doing something wrong. So whats left? Goodies. Free xboxes or games is nothing you can expect from a fan event like this. Clapping plants in the audience? I doubt they are this expensive. So whats so expensive about a conference?

I think the format will be important. If it's literally the same as last year- just another Direct with Iwata in front of a white screen, I think that yes it will not come across well. If the format is engaging and the software shown off is impressive, I think that's a different story.

It can't be anything like last years Direct that's for sure

At least it sounds like it won't just be Iwata awkwardly standing in a room by himself. Wish it was live (and I think that's what Nintendo needed to do), but it should still be an improvement over last year.

backlot

Yeah, but can he really say for sure that Nintendo's poor sales are a direct result of doing a prerecorded video instead of a live conference last year? Seems silly.

Why yes, I will go try out the new Smash Bros game at Best Buy.

I understand that Nintendo wants to make sure that they have good message control; but they sacrifice the ability to get "high interest" news coverage by having that control.

Now, they need to schedule at least three of these events in particularly bad parts of one or two major cities. Think about the press coverage that Smash Bros will get if a knife fight breaks out at a Best Buy in Chicago or Michigan.

Not saying there needs to be a knife fight, but imagine how much coverage that would get if someone got stabbed because of a frenzied line dispute for the new Smash Bros.

Please don't stab people for Smash Bros.

fukube

Neo Member
You know this, how?
Sakurai said the game will be launched in winter. He adds 2014 but winter begins on December 21. Do you seriously think they will release it the 21?
Besides Sakurai is sick and cannot work quickly. He is very meticulous.

I bet we will have the smash bros U in february. The game of christmas for U will be Bayo 2.

jeffers

Well yes of course, there is a risk when you do a live conference that you may do more damage than good. (See Sony E3 2006).

But the potential benefit/reward should not be understated. As Shane said, there's a reason that Microsoft and Sony continue to put huge amounts of money into these presentations.

tradition? Its a non-hardware year, game sites scramble for content anyway, press will probably be able to play at Nintendos booth early again. it'll also be the like 5th conference theyd be going to.. if they really love livetweeting on a laptop in a hot theatre so they can not/cheer along with employees... then dunno, they can get hype at some real gaming being shown (tournie).

Exile20

As someone who's routinely tuned into gaming news, I don't really see much of a difference between what Nintendo's doing now and what Microsoft and Sony are doing. The biggest difference is Nintendo's probably saving some money by putting together a pre-recorded video and posting it online rather than the expense of hosting a live event, and streaming it online.

Although, I do see how it can hurt Nintendo's mainstream press coverage. Let's face it, the press likes being wined and dined. And while they're not exactly being taken out to a buffet by Microsoft and Sony, that free live press event (possibly with gift baggies) does wonders in catching the attention of the larger press. As far as the gaming press goes, Nintendo's probably going to get as much coverage as Microsoft or Sony. When it comes to the greater scope of media, Nintendo's going to be a footnote at E3.

If you believe that matters or not, you can just look at the lack of Wii U coverage from last year's E3, compared to PS4 and Xbox One coverage, and the resulting sales of each. I don't WANT those trends to continue, but I feel there's a pretty good chance of it coming out of this E3.

There was nothing Nintendo could have done. It was the E3 before two new console launches. All Nintendo could do was weather it out.

jeffers

Sakurai said the game will be launched in winter. He adds 2014 but winter begins on December 21. Do you seriously think they will release it the 21?

I bet we will have the smash bros U in february. The game of christmas for U will be Bayo 2.

"2014 will see the arrival of not one, but two new Super Smash Bros. games: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U."

So guess it depends what you think of as 2014 from the press' eyes.

JoeM86

1. It's 2014. Winter 2014 in game release terms is November or December. Winter 2014 is not in 2015
2. Sakurai is one man, the leader of a huge team. He injured his hand, he is not sick. Just because he injured his hand does not mean work stops.
3. Bayonetta 2 is still pegged for summer launch.

BY2K

Membero Americo
He's right, anyone who says that E3 press conferences have little to no meaning didn't watch Sony's last year.

I'm not saying he's wrong, but calling Nintendo stupid is going a bit far.

There was a list of release dates of past nintendo games in the thread where that window was first announced. "Winter 2013" wound up leading to release dates as early as october for retail titles. Nintendo's definition of seasons is weird.

Top Bottom