• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

Linkhero1

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...ce-again-forgoing-live-stage-show-at-e3-2014/

Jesus Christ. The press butthurt is astounding. I don't know that refusing the play ball is super healthy for Nintendo given this landscape, but dear God what a treasure trove of shit this has uncovered. I really hope they can break up this gentleman's press club.

No surprise here. They're no longer the middle man per se. Keep those tears going.

I kinda wish this read would veer towards talking about potential announcements and focus less on what a lot of the whiny press has to say.

Ha. Is this a serious post?

They didn't have a conference but journalists mentioned lining up to demo their games at E3.

He's right though. Nintendo wasn't at E3. They really disappointed everyone.

ironcreed

Banned
You would think that with some of the bullshit that the other two systems are pulling that at least some in the press would be running with the underdog status of the Wii U and some of the perks it has.

- No subscriptions that hold online hostage
- Backwards compatibility
- A growing library of great exclusives
- Nintendo games in HD
- It's cheaper

But I suppose all that really matters is that they are electing to stand to the side in order to focus on showcasing their strength, instead of being drowned out by the hype of the other two and all of the third party support that only those systems will enjoy. How dare they not stand on the stage next to that?

AdanVC

I'm glad that the 22 pages this thread have so far are not just full of rage like last year when Nintendo announced for the first time they would not have a Press Conference. That's because the events Nintendo will be heading this year are looking more exciting and looks like it would not be just a lenghty Nintendo Direct but rather several streams with all the different games they will shown so every game can have it's time to shine, especially when they reveal the new freaking Zelda game!! Hnnnggh damn hyped already!

They also said DKCTF is a christmas 2013 game but everybody knows when it was released.

Sakurai takes his time and develops with a team he doesn't know entirely. Add also the fact he has to make a 3DS version before.
It is too much for a injured guy who used to work very slowly.
We will see.

Smash Bros. slated for a Holiday 2014 release.

Leo Burnett / Nintendo of America choose release dates very carefully. If they intended for it to spill over into early 2015, they would have said "early next year."

The "2014" designation indicates that they are trying their best for it to hit the Holiday season, but gives them the leeway by making the release schedule just broad enough so that if the title gets pushed back a couple of months, they can just claim that it "was in the Winter timeframe."

No press conference again? Focusing heavily on Smash Bros giving off the impression that they have nothing else to show? Yep, they're going to disappoint again.

Smash Bros. release date and new trailer / probably some more reveals

Hyrule Warriors release date and trailer

Sonic Boom release date and trailer

Zelda trailer and discussion

X release date and trailer

Bayonetta 2 release date and trailer

NFC game reveal

More (probably eShop / indie related) game reveals

Maybe a surprise?

I don't know...seems pretty decent to me. But then again, I'm a big Nintendo fan. :p

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
You really should listen to me a bit more on this.
I mean, granted, it's just my opinion... but of course gaming press is going to be negative about it, because they are being cut out of the conversation. When you start promoting and talking through 'owned channels,' then you get the traffic. You're basically taking traffic away from press outlets, and letting consumers participate without their lens.

The press hasn't been kind to them for awhile, so this let's the main messaging get out to potential purchases through Nintendo's rose-tinted view. The sad part is, it works, but it mostly has to happen because of the vitriol the media is giving them in the first place. It's a cycle, just look at all the negativity today in what should be a big win for 'core fans,' since they are actively being called to take part in experiencing something that was typically reserved for elite access press.

Great post.

No press conference again? Focusing heavily on Smash Bros giving off the impression that they have nothing else to show? Yep, they're going to disappoint again.

Did you just read the headlines from a journalism site and that's all your basing your entire views off? Did you even watch the announcement? Seriously?

Exile20

I mean, granted, it's just my opinion... but of course gaming press is going to be negative about it, because they are being cut out of the conversation. When you start promoting and talking through 'owned channels,' then you get the traffic. You're basically taking traffic away from press outlets, and letting consumers participate without their lens.

The press hasn't been kind to them for awhile, so this let's the main messaging get out to potential purchases through Nintendo's rose-tinted view. The sad part is, it works, but it mostly has to happen because of the vitriol the media is giving them in the first place. It's a cycle, just look at all the negativity today in what should be a big win for 'core fans,' since they are actively being called to take part in experiencing something that was typically reserved for elite access press.

This is so true. They want to be the point of access to the news from the event.

Kacho

Damn. I just can't get over the "This is the one you've waiting for" bit on their Twitter. So many possibilities to hype only to be let down in the end.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I assume more details will be announced by the Fiscal Year Earnings Release (FY 2013) on May 7 (investor presentation the day after, usually). If the backlash from the press etc. on this becomes too huge, perhaps they'll change their plans slightly?

Anyway, I'm very excited and it's gonna be interesting to see if they show/discuss QOL in any capacity.

Good on them. The gaming press has never done them any favors, glad they're cutting out the middleman.

People already do not consider Nintendo a console company since the Wii.

What is this even supposed to mean?

EDIT: Do people actually think Smash is going to be the only thing they show at E3, or is this just more typical Nintendoomed bullshit?

I like how Nintendo actually doing something right marketing wise is turned into a negative.

Amazing isn´t it? The attitude to Nintendo in gaming media is so strong, there is litterly nothing they could do, to get an unbiased neutral reporting of events. No surprise they abandoned them. Why sinking money in an industry who desperatly tries to be cool and recognized by the mainstream. The VGAs were always a great ecample of this. Full of people screaming "hey, i am a games journlaist but that´s totally cool nowadays! We have a red carpet too. Please recognize us! We are so mature, we are cool!" Nintendo just doesn´t fit in there anymore.

Sadist

Call me dumb, but the press will still generate traffic while writing up on the games they've seen and played at E3 right? I don't see the problem, except if you're something like Gametrailers for instance.

gngf123

Look at IGN's headline for the video:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/29/nintendo-reveals-its-e3-plans?abthid=535fc85d9cdad9cb2900001a

Nintendo Reveals its E3 Plans Don't Include Live Conference

People are mistaken if they think there isn't a negative perception about not having a live-audience show whether there should be or not is another point entirely.

And press continues to ignore all the other announcements:

From Cnet: "Nintendo bails on E3 press conference yet again"
http://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-bails-on-e3-press-conference-yet-again-2014/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...ce-again-forgoing-live-stage-show-at-e3-2014/

By avoiding a stage show, it seems like Nintendo may not have all that much to say or show compared to their competition.

Jesus Christ. The press butthurt is astounding. I don't know that refusing the play ball is super healthy for Nintendo given this landscape, but dear God what a treasure trove of shit this has uncovered. I really hope they can break up this gentleman's press club.

This really is a repeat of the mass bullshit that we got last year.

I can't say I'm surprised, Nintendo are trying to skip the middle man after all. That said, it is still ridiculous.

Nintendo of America opted to do a live press conference instead of a Nintendo Direct for the Wii U launch detail line up in September 2012. I find it weird that in 2013 and 2014, they are opting out of a press conference at the biggest event of their industry.

ironcreed

Banned
Yup, this shows Nintendo's influence is waning in the industry and doing stuff like this (not having a conference) surely will hasten the newer generation of people forgetting what Nintendo is. People already do not consider Nintendo a console company since the Wii. The name brand and prestige of the Nintendo name is diminishing faster than ever.

Which is sad, because they are for the most part the only ones I see left of the three that still acts like a good old console company. By that I mean they don't push bullshit like subscriptions for online, they still value exclusives above all else and they actually bother to make a system that has backwards compatibility.

Kriken

They also said DKCTF is a christmas 2013 game but everybody knows when it was released.

Sakurai takes his time and develops with a team he doesn't know entirely. Add also the fact he has to make a 3DS version before.
It is too much for a injured guy who used to work very slowly.
We will see.

First of all, Tropical Freeze was a November release, not Christmas (And delay announcement was in October)
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/01/donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-delayed
Secondly, Winter 2014 extends from December 2014 to March 2015 and debatably November. I'm still in the camp that believes the 'Winter 2014' is a non-committal time frame because of how much Brawl was delayed. The aim is for Smash to be their 2014 holiday game, but Winter 2014 allows for it to be released as late as March without them 'announcing' a delay

L~A

No... What have you done, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!!!

HYPE! Can't wait!

People didn't watch the Feb. Nintendo Direct? It was announced during the JP presentation, and I'm pretty sure it was widely known. Oh well, at least it's good to have confirmation once again :)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You don't need a big press conference to build hype. You just need the proper games. Just look at the MK8 previews and all the hype around it. Now imagine Zelda U and Metroid U in the E3 digital event. Who gaves a shit about a live press conference? (other than the journalists missing on their Nexus 7 or whatever else they get that day)

SSB 4 competition in Nokia Theatre? That's more spectacular than Microsoft employees clapping or Arthur Gies being impressed live.

Tripon

This is my take on it. Ironically, the gaming press is cementing this new digital platform by reacting so harshly instead of figuring out a way to get this to benefit them.

Just wanted to say FANTASTIC post well done, that is how I feel about this 100% but just could not better word it myself.
This should be posted in EVERY nintendo E3 thread from now on.

Well done John, well done.

Linkhero1

What I hope for:

Zelda Wii U
Majora's Mask for 3DS
Majora's Mask 3DS
More Zelda Smash announcements, possibly Ganondorf reveal.
Some Zelda tunes playing

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Great post, as usual!

Porcile

It's good to see Nintendo getting better at producing this sort of video content. They really should play up thier quirkiness more often. People give Reggie a lot of shit, some deserved some not so. but either way he's a genuine asset for connecting the company to it's fans.

Yup, this shows Nintendo's influence is waning in the industry and doing stuff like this (not having a conference) surely will hasten the newer generation of people forgetting what Nintendo is. People already do not consider Nintendo a console company since the Wii. The name brand and prestige of the Nintendo name is diminishing faster than ever.

na, apparently not having a proper showing at the biggest videogame event is amazing and gotta love Nintendo making delusional journalists cry... or something, I dunno how these spins make sense anymore.

Frolow

Banned
To be honest, I'm glad Nintendo's not doing a standard press conference. I much prefer their current approach of "Here's our games, here's some gameplay footage, have a nice day." and that's it. No frills, no padding, no terrible presenters, and no unrelated bullshit.

I do love some of the press bitching now since they aren't going to get pandered to with free swag and other perks. Great journalistic integrity coming from them.

na, apparently not having a proper showing at the biggest videogame event is amazing and gotta love Nintendo making delusional journalists cry... or something, I dunno how these spins make sense anymore.

Jesus Christ, this is like some Gamefaqs level of shitposting right here.

Exile20

Good on them. The gaming press has never done them any favors, glad they're cutting out the middleman.

EDIT: Do people actually think Smash is going to be the only thing they show at E3, or is this just more typical Nintendoomed bullshit?

This guy does....

Hubble

People who claim that the press is on a witch hunt on Nintendo need a reality check. They get what they deserve in life.

What does this supposed to even mean? The gaming press has reflected reality. Nintendo's direct video at e3 have been weak and lame. It is certainly not glamorous and reflects their position in the gaming industry has been waning and their position is weak especially in comparison to Sony and MS. They deserve to receive bad press. Nintendo no longer has powerful or substantial, possibly game changing news to even hold a damn press conference, something that is TRADITIONAL to e3. The once a year mega press conference where gaming technology is showcased.

Do you think if LG would not hold a press conference at CES that they would not receive bad coverage about it?

Young kids who grew up on the 360/PS3 do not consider Nintendo a console company. Nintendo's brand recognition in the home console business is near forgotten now after years of not keeping up with contemporary times (online gaming and modern hardware) to hardcore gamers. They only recognize the Playstation or Xbox brand as options for a home console.

Tehalemi

DjkxQGU.png

To be honest, I'm glad Nintendo's not doing a standard press conference. I much prefer their current approach of "Here's our games, here's some gameplay footage, have a nice day." and that's it. No frills, no padding, no terrible presenters, and no unrelated bullshit.

I do love some of the press bitching now since they aren't going to get pandered to with free swag and other perks. Great journalistic integrity coming from them.

Nintendo Direct @ E32013 definitely did not have any of that. :)

Azure J

Oh good, so I didn't misunderstand the current situation when I shouted out about it on Twitter earlier. Thanks man.

Edit: FWIW, I don't necessarily think that this is some "spiting the spiteful" gesture and I do think that if Nintendo goes down this path, they need to have some real new content and things to excite with. There's positives and negatives to it all, but I think both sides are over blowing their facts a bit.

They did it. They actually did it. I've been saying they should do a Smash Bros tournament at Nintendo World Store, but they one-upped me and are doing an invitational at E3. Assuming the invitational and announcers are actually part of the community and not some dude from IGN, this is a great community move.

The tournament news is just awesome. Good for them for embracing their core fans and the free press.

As for the press conference, it's not great that they won't have one, but they probably don't have anything to show anyway.

Top Bottom