• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds developer reports $310 million profit for 2018

Mista

Banned
PlayerUnknowns-Battlegrounds_02.jpg

Last year was interesting for PUBG Corp, the team working on PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds. According to its latest financial reports, it garnered $920 million in revenue, $310 million which was profit. The split is even more interesting with PC garnering $790 million in revenue while mobile accounted for $65 million and consoles made up $60 million.

It's crazy-impressive to me -- an outsider to the general "multiplayer on a big map" / Battle Royale format -- that PUBG survives to this day in spite of its competitors.

When it came out, it was incredibly rough around the edges so I figured that when AAA publishers showed up with Fortnite, CoD BR in Black Ops 4, and Apex, little PUBG would die off.

Hestar69

"Consoles made up $60 million." Maybe if the game didn't run like shit on xbox (No clue for ps4 Only own xbox version) They could've made more off skins and battle pass..

Two years later & the game still runs and look so bad on xbox..Even going to your characters customization page is laggy as hell. I played this weekend and the last game I played,I fell through the map at water treatment and all I could do is wait for zone to kill me. Luckily my friends still won the game.

I can't wait for them to make this game playable on consoles or for this company to go bankrupt.

Grinchy

Banned
Only $310M? I know that's a ton of profit, but I'm just surprised by how much it costs to keep this game running. I guess the total revenue doesn't tell us how much of that money actually gets sent to PUBG Corp itself. It also shows you that the game wasn't generating $100M in revenue per month consistently like many were assuming.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Only $310M? I know that's a ton of profit, but I'm just surprised by how much it costs to keep this game running. I guess the total revenue doesn't tell us how much of that money actually gets sent to PUBG Corp itself. It also shows you that the game wasn't generating $100M in revenue per month consistently like many were assuming.

It was close. Probably around $75 million per month.

Sentenza

It's crazy-impressive to me -- an outsider to the general "multiplayer on a big map" / Battle Royale format -- that PUBG survives to this day in spite of its competitors.
There's still nothing exactly like it, honestly.
All the "competitors" have a fairly different vibe/feeling.
PUBG is still the only one (among the big titles) with the pretense to be somewhat realistic and close to a proper simulation.

A.Romero

I haven't been able to get into it but I can see it making this much money. Feels very different from the rest, it has it's own identity despite the similarities. Like comparing burnout to Shift.

Mista

Banned
i love the game so addictive and i play on console.

Im not a fan on the real world prices for the cosmetics but i just don't buy them 🤷‍♀️
I’m still surprised of the game’s popularity. The mechanics is so garbage I can’t stand it yet there’re MILLIONS playing this game🙀

Top Bottom