• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Okay I need a fucking kill cam because three times I'm ROLLING through the game, 5-6 kills, great setup.

Then out of fucking nowhere in a place where I shouldn't be vulnerable I'm dead before I can even push a button.

I gotta know how.

Okay I need a fucking kill cam because three times I'm ROLLING through the game, 5-6 kills, great setup.

Then out of fucking nowhere in a place where I shouldn't be vulnerable I'm dead before I can even push a button.

I gotta know how.

I think they should do it where the camera zooms out then in on the guy that killed you for a few seconds. Kill cams make me hate games.

Wow. Just wow. I got #2 in a duos game. It was down to me and two other guys. I was prone in a bush in the center of the tiny circle. We ended on an island with nothing to hide behind. The other two guys are fighting and my buddy says I should throw a frag. I was already panicking because I suck at this game and am fumbling through my inventory. No frag of course. By the time I get done sorting through that one guy had died and the survivor got a bead on me at close range with a shotgun. Number, freaking, TWO. My buddy apologized for backseat playing immediately after. Such a fun game. Can't believe I missed the chicken. This game made me start recording clips and editing them. Good luck out there.

Another day, another top 5. But no chicken dinner. Had to make myself an actual chicken dinner.

I'm over 100 hours and have never been #1.

Someday.

At the very least I need some form of match replay so I can figure it out.

Replays, and post-death spectate in solo are what I really want.

Another day, another top 5. But no chicken dinner. Had to make myself an actual chicken dinner.

I'm over 100 hours and have never been #1.

Someday.

Replays, and post-death spectate in solo are what I really want.

I need replays and a system which shows me all 94-100 players and the paths they take as they die so I can see strats and figure stuff out. It'd be huge in alleviating my frustration for catching a round lol.

I'm at 85 and no dinner, you're not alone brother. Though I got to top freaking #3 4 times tonight.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
7C763E66763BDC834173589C797F83C067956772

I think out of those 10 kills, only one of them ever saw me. Backstabbed my way to victory. The chicken winning kill was the same story, he blew himself up before I had the chance to shoot him.

There's something bonechilling about seeing 3 Grimmmz kills on the feed before you've even touched the ground. Then something almost happy, almost unsettling, when you see him die.

(The end of the round was not nearly as dramatic, as I had zero kills in the Top 10, was sneaking up perfectly on a suppressed M24, and then some genius way out of the white decided to shoot at me unsuppressed which ruined my frag and got the sniper looking directly at him, getting us both killed)

Hellers

Any good performance tweaks to improve FPS? I tried the messing with the ini files and launch options but it only messed with the visuals making my game overall darker than it should be.

I dunno if it helps but I sorted out most of my performance issues by switching from borderless windowed mode to full screen. It's never helped anything else I've played but this game it did a lot.

SomTervo

The person on the last page still hasn't explained this "urban myth" where bumping some settings to High/Ultra makes performance better

Wow. Just wow. I got #2 in a duos game. It was down to me and two other guys. I was prone in a bush in the center of the tiny circle. We ended on an island with nothing to hide behind. The other two guys are fighting and my buddy says I should throw a frag. I was already panicking because I suck at this game and am fumbling through my inventory. No frag of course. By the time I get done sorting through that one guy had died and the survivor got a bead on me at close range with a shotgun. Number, freaking, TWO. My buddy apologized for backseat playing immediately after. Such a fun game. Can't believe I missed the chicken. This game made me start recording clips and editing them. Good luck out there.

I had an even worse one last night on Duos. Lost an easy and clear Chicken Dinner because of micro-strategy transgressions in literally the last four seconds of the match.

My partner died near the start of the match. I survive and manage to get to the top 20. Find an 8x scope. Make it to the top 10 after killing three people in a field.

Make it to top 5. Final zone is on a pretty small hill with steep drops on both sides.

Make it to top 3. It's just me and one other double team. I know exactly where they are. They're on top of the hill by a tree and I'm just off a ledge. One of them beads me and gets a shot in.

I realise I've got a shotgun and they can't see me when I crouch. I crouch, get my shotty out, and roadie run left, all the way around the hill.

I flawlessly flank them. Come sprinting up the side to 5 o' clock of where they expect it. Come right up on the side of one of them - one shot him with the shotty.

Now here come the mistakes. The guy's downed and we're in a tight spot. But rather than let him impotently crawl around and use the element of surprise on his squaddie, I feel like it's best to finish him. I waste three shotgun rounds finishing him. Just past him beyond the tree the FINAL player is crawling towards me through the brush. I reload frantically. The final player stands and sprints at the tree. I finish reloading. He circles around the other side of the tree. I aim, swap shoulder.

My final mistake? I try to lead the guy as he's at a sprint. I aim just in front of him as he emerges around the tree. I fire. Half of my buck flies past him and only a few pellets hit him. He lines up on my head. Pulls the trigger. Game over.

What a fucking match. So many 'should, coulda, wouldas'...

Brendan Greene said they'll be bringing the replay system back at some point with changes so people can see what happened.

Edit: Video of the replay system that was in the Alpha for those who haven't seen it

Holy shit this is amazing, thanks for sharing.

Twookie

The person on the last page still hasn't explained this "urban myth" where bumping some settings to High/Ultra makes performance better

the "myth"(IIRC a dev said this) is that on lower settings the game leans more on the CPU while on higher settings the game leans more on the GPU - so you might get more FPS if your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU by choosing higher gfx options in the settings menu.

SomTervo

the "myth"(IIRC a dev said this) is that on lower settings the game leans more on the CPU while on higher settings the game leans more on the GPU - so you might get more FPS if your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU by choosing higher gfx options in the settings menu.

Well hot diggity. My CPU is my bottleneck (even though it's still p good). Might just give this a try!

Thanks!

From Twitter (through Vinku) :

PLAY BATTLEGROUNDS (@PUBATTLEGROUNDS)
Our dev team will be testing out the basic zombie mode in the NA test server.

Join us now!

Lobby name: zombie 01
Password: 121212

5gb download on test server.

Ark

I wish, they would focus on more important things, but i can understand, why they put a focus on that. All there coverage comes from Twitch and YouTube and you want those content producers to have something new to show. I personal would love for the hardcore mode to be finished.

Different teams. The zombie team released a basic version for the live servers.

Tovarisc

They have many times made argument that progress on games features is somewhat slow as they are so small team and have to choose just few things to focus on at the time.

They chose to focus on making DayZ modifier over e.g. improving 1st person only mode.

catmincer

Hmm this makes sense. My laptop has a 1060 but the CPU is a 7700hq which is kinda eh so I'm gonna test this.

I had 0 idea, just saw it was announced lol

Next question because I haven't tried it. Can you go into customs with friends or is it solo only?

I don't know :( I never tried it. I tried it 5 minutes ago to try to join the zombi test, but there is no game showing whatsoever in the custom match section.

I'm pretty sure that it would be accessible with friends though.

Wardancer

Neo Member

I hope you know that you do not need to open the inventory to change grenade types. Just press the grenade button over and over to switch the grenade type quickly. So all you need is 3-4 taps to check if you have frags. :)

Also damn i really hope that replay system comes back, I really want lines drawn on the map for peoples paths just to see all those missed close encounters etc.

JDB

Banned
Isn't the only thing they added for the zombie mode thing a zombie skin for players to use? Plus a handful of animations and audio effects I imagine. Doesn't seem like it would require a lot of development time.

jediyoshi

Isn't the only thing they added for the zombie mode thing a zombie skin for players to use? Plus a handful of animations and audio effects I imagine. Doesn't seem like it would require a lot of development time.

The important thing is that the ruleset is mandated, otherwise everything was on the honor system.

Åesop;242048892 said:
What's zombie mode? I am new to dudebro shooter terminology

One squad versus the rest of the players. Zombie team has melee only and can't use vehicles.

Twookie

how does the zombie mode work? do we know?

does it work like the old CS:Source mod where every player starts as human but after a min or so a player or two gets infected and then has to spread the disease or do you either spawn in a human squad or as a zombie?

used to play zombie mode on CSS a loooooooooooot, was super fun

Metal B

... this team code have made the hardcore-mode *grumble* ...

how does the zombie mode work? do we know?

does it work like the old CS:Source mod where every player starts as human but after a min or so a player or two gets infected and then has to spread the disease or do you either spawn in a human squad or as a zombie?

used to play zombie mode on CSS a loooooooooooot, was super fun
No, there are only two teams: Team Zombie and Team Survives. The game ends if one sides gets completely wiped out. There are no difference in the gameplay, so there are still the circles getting smaller and random weapons. Only with the new mode, zombies can't get weapons and drive vehicles (before the mode, people would simply role-play on custom servers.).

Twookie

No, there are only two teams: Team Zombie and Team Survives. The game ends if one sides gets completely wiped out. There are no difference in the gameplay, so there are still the circles getting smaller and random weapons. Only with the new mode, zombies can't get weapons and drive vehicles (before the mode, people would simply role-play on custom servers.).

oh. Will be exciting to play for sure - pretty stoked.

I'll probably wait to play this after the vaulting animations is added since that would probably make the experience/gamemode a lot better.

Neoweee

I have no idea how some of you can play for upwards of 100 hours without winning a game, that's crazy.

Less experience with FPS games-- Bad aim, bad tactics, bad understanding of the mechanics, the interface isn't really helpful for learning stuff unless you're actively checking out videos and outside advice, and the feedback loop is really, really long to actually "practice" any individual core competency from scratch.

I hope you know that you do not need to open the inventory to change grenade types. Just press the grenade button over and over to switch the grenade type quickly. So all you need is 3-4 taps to check if you have frags. :)

Yeah, I was panicking and had a very dull moment. I haven't played for long and don't have much experience using grenades in the first place. Thank you for the reminder.

Top Bottom