• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Tovarisc

Less experience with FPS games. Bad aim, bad tactics, and the feedback loop is really, really long to actually "practice" any individual core competency from scratch.

Also game can just take your win away by giving last deciding white circle to your last 1-2 remaining enemies. At that point you need so much luck on top of personal skill to win if favored player is any good in BG.

Metal B

First match in Test server where Sunset weather setting was set.
So does it change anything in the gameplay sense? Like you are being blinded looking at the direction of the sun, which would make it easier to move above a hill? Or more dark shadows?

Looks really nice, if only weather setting was dynamic in this game. Would be cool to see sun go down as match progresses.
I think, they don't use dynamic lighting and bake there shadows on the textures, which would help the overall performance of the game.

E-flux

Also game can just take your win away by giving last deciding white circle to your last 1-2 remaining enemies. At that point you need so much luck on top of personal skill to win if favored player is any good in BG.

The final circle should become a bomb zone so that everybody would get fucked over and not just me every time.

Hybris

Less experience with FPS games-- Bad aim, bad tactics, bad understanding of the mechanics, the interface isn't really helpful for learning stuff unless you're actively checking out videos and outside advice, and the feedback loop is really, really long to actually "practice" any individual core competency from scratch.

My biggest problem with the game right now is the lack of a sandbox mode or small map deathmatch just to practice aiming and spraying

noomi

Seems like a very impressive update.

Some on reddit have reported significant FPS boosts, anyone care to comment?

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Had my first match after two or three weeks. Is it just me, or is the game a lot darker than before?
The performance also felt a lot better to me, everything was smoother and I don't recall any major lags.

Metal B

Yeah, there is a lot of luck involved. I would maybe change the rules, so that all players know from the start, where the last circle (or a few steps beyond that) is going to be. But this area is inaccessible, because a second gas cloud protects it. This area will be unlocked after shortly before the endgame. To make the game still a little more unpracticable, the previous circles still don't have to use the final area as their midpoint.

This way all players at least know their end goal from the start and can plan there play session accordingly. So starting closer at the endpoint can be great for ambushes, but there could be less equipment available and less space without encountering other players, While landing far away, gives you a higher chances of better equipment and less opponents, but then you to move through areas, where enemies can ambush you. The game pretty much already plays like this, you just don't can chose, how to tackle a session.

thejpfin

So does it change anything in the gameplay sense? Like you are being blinded looking at the direction of the sun, which would make it easier to move above a hill?
Nope, your view stays the same even if you look straight at the sun. There's not even any lens flare effect when you look at the sun.
Or more dark shadows?
Yep, sunset setting is slightly darker, so people hiding in grass and bushes are harder to spot.

GodofWine

Seems like a very impressive update.

Some on reddit have reported significant FPS boosts, anyone care to comment?

I've been 'north' of 60fps more consistently. The game isn't THAT hard to run IMO anymore. I have a g4560/1050ti build that cost a whopping $450 to make a couple months ago, and at 1080/60 I run at very good settings and get consistent frame rates of about 60. Panning the camera around through trees and cities I still stay in the high 40's, and consistent 50's when not 'f-ing about with the camera'.

Even stay in the 40's in the lobby now.

brentech

Had my first match after two or three weeks. Is it just me, or is the game a lot darker than before?
The performance also felt a lot better to me, everything was smoother and I don't recall any major lags.
Darks are darker, brights are brighter.

Tinman dX

Banned
Has there been any news or updates on when this is coming to Xbox One? They still aiming for early access release or just out right release the game?

SomTervo

Yeah, there is a lot of luck involved. I would maybe change the rules, so that all players know from the start, where the last circle (or a few steps beyond that) is going to be. But this area is inaccessible, because a second gas cloud protects it. This area will be unlocked after shortly before the endgame. To make the game still a little more unpracticable, the previous circles still don't have to use the final area as their midpoint.

This way all players at least know their end goal from the start and can plan there play session accordingly. So starting closer at the endpoint can be great for ambushes, but there could be less equipment available and less space without encountering other players, While landing far away, gives you a higher chances of better equipment and less opponents, but then you to move through areas, where enemies can ambush you. The game pretty much already plays like this, you just don't can chose, how to tackle a session.

It's a nice idea but wouldn't work. Everyone would just beeline for and congregate near the final zone as soon as possible. Whoever got lucky would camp it with a good rifle/scope.

Gas clouds is interesting though. Your idea COULD work if the map were covered in gas clouds a few minutes into gameplay.

Neoweee

Gas clouds is interesting though. Your idea COULD work if the map were covered in gas clouds a few minutes into gameplay.

Generally, I think more atmospheric effects randomly throughout the game could help break the luck that comes from not having to move.

"Raining Bombs" is kind of that, but it doesn't hit people camping inside buildings.

SomTervo

Generally, I think more atmospheric effects randomly throughout the game could help break the luck that comes from not having to move.

"Raining Bombs" is kind of that, but it doesn't hit people camping inside buildings.

True, and nerve gas would definitely penetrate buildings.

But yes, rising fog, heavy rain storms etc would help mix up luck values a lot.

I'd also love to see proper battlefield smoke. No games do this properly imo. In still weather and indoors, gun smoke should sit and drift, obscuring visibility. I guess particle effects are demanding.

Blizzard

Banned
I have no idea how some of you can play for upwards of 100 hours without winning a game, that's crazy.
Very easily.

Winning requires not getting bored for 25 minutes, plus there's no mode to practice shooting since I can barely tell if I hit anyone in the lobby, plus dropping in populated areas usually doesn't help me practice shooting, plus pretty much any time I die it's one or two shots to instantly kill without ever seeing the shooter, having no idea whether I was unlucky or could have improved or whether they were wall hacking.

Plus I'm very bad at videogames in general. :p

Levito

Banned
I managed to get chicken dinner by myself, bless.

DDJvr4XUQAAz03K.jpg

Less experience with FPS games-- Bad aim, bad tactics, bad understanding of the mechanics, the interface isn't really helpful for learning stuff unless you're actively checking out videos and outside advice, and the feedback loop is really, really long to actually "practice" any individual core competency from scratch.

my best advice is to start playing more agro and landing in populated areas (military base, pachiki, crates, apts, school, etc)! it'll help you get your aim down and get more comfortable killing other players.

My tactic is to try to land in a section like this, and secure a certain area. I land in pachinki, i try to secure a section of about 4 or 5 buildings, loot them, then either stay depending on activity, or move and look for others or get to the circle. If i land on apts, I land on one with a roof entrance, loot the building, and control it as there is bound to be another player who tries to enter.

The more comfortable you get with engagements, the better you'll be. I sometimes stick to myself and go to less populated areas when I really want to play more relaxed, but I did that so many times and for so long that I wasn't getting any better. Just last week I won two solos and i generally place top 10. Once i changed up my gameplay i got much better at killing and surviving.

The great thing about an agro start is that you didn't spend the last 20 minutes looting just to get killed. You'll spend maybe 5 minutes looting and either kill some players and go on to last a while, or die right away with really nothing lost, but that you gained some gameplay experience.

This is all so wordy and I apologize but I hope my point came out okay.

I managed to get chicken dinner by myself, bless.

DDJvr4XUQAAz03K.jpg

i really need to go for more crates. I've only gotten the ghillie suite once because me and a friend dropped to the left of military base, took a boat to the bottom, and ran north and a crate dropped right on us perfectly. he took the awp i took the suite, but since then I've never even seen another, let alone am ballsy enough to hit crates, as they tend to drop in some bad spots.

Metal B

It's a nice idea but wouldn't work. Everyone would just beeline for and congregate near the final zone as soon as possible. Whoever got lucky would camp it with a good rifle/scope.
I get, what you mean. The final zone would create a perfect wall behind your back, which would allow for good camping. Similar how you can use the outside circle as protection close to the end game and walk with it, since you can be sure, that this area behind you is clear.

Maybe the area around the inaccessible final circle could be made dangerous. Red zones and other events (like poison gas) happen here more often then in other areas. Which would make collecting resources and simply staying there more dangerous, which then wold forces players to move around. So there is a risk.
Of course, then you fight the environment more then the players ... well, this would be in spirit of many Battle Royals and put the survival aspect more in focus.

Tinman dX

Banned
This fall in game preview, next year full release.

Yeah that's pretty much the only info I've heard to, hoping to see a date soon, just making sure didn't miss anything, haven't really checked on is post E3.

Thanks though. The struggle is real can't wait to get my hands on this and play with my friends lol

Par Score

I have no idea how some of you can play for upwards of 100 hours without winning a game, that's crazy.

This game has an incredibly high variance RNG aspect at pretty much all times:

What is the flight path like?
Do a bunch of other people choose the same location as me to drop?
Do I run into a house and find a Lvl 2 backpack, helmet, vest, SCAR + MP5, 8x + 2x scope, attachments, boosters, full heals and a frying pan? Or do I run into a house and find 27 pairs of pants and a baseball cap?
Do I land near a vehicle? Do I land near the first circle?
As the circles reduce, do I end up inside or outside of each successive circle?
Near the end, is the last circle in a building or a field? Am I already camped in that building or prone in that field?
etc.

Now, In no way am I disputing the value of skill in this game.

There are people playing this game who are absolute murder machines and achieve regular, consistent results. But for the mere mortal among us, chance is a big part.

I can come top 10 very regularly, and top 2 quite often, but I have never tasted that sweet Chicken.

The skilless peasants like myself relies way more on cowardice and hiding to obtain the Graal.

I barely make one kill by match but get in top 20 almost every match and 2/3 top 10 !

This game has an incredibly high variance RNG aspect at pretty much all times:

What is the flight path like?
Do a bunch of other people choose the same location as me to drop?
Do I run into a house and find a Lvl 2 backpack, helmet, vest, SCAR + MP5, 8x + 2x scope, attachments, boosters, full heals and a frying pan? Or do I run into a house and find 27 pairs of pants and a baseball cap?
Do I land near a vehicle? Do I land near the first circle?
As the circles reduce, do I end up inside or outside of each successive circle?
Near the end, is the last circle in a building or a field? Am I already camped in that building or prone in that field?
etc.

Now, In no way am I disputing the value of skill in this game.

There are people playing this game who are absolute murder machines and achieve regular, consistent results. But for the mere mortal among us, chance is a big part.

I can come top 10 very regularly, and top 2 quite often, but I have never tasted that sweet Chicken.

as these variables occur and you learn them and how to deal with them, it can greatly increase your chances of getting the chicken dinner.

the more time you play the more you learn about HOW to play.

"oh im really far from the circle" try to just loot a gun or so, and run to that circle (take a vehicle if theres one),dont just keep looting because you will die.

learn the locations that will be most populated most often, decided if you want to drop there and be agro/defensive, or if you want to hit the middle of nowhere with little threat.

the looting can be a bitch when you really need something, but certain areas have better loot.

for where to drop it really depends on how you're trying to play that particular match. vvehicle locations have switched up so not always viable to drop for a vehicle. but its a good idea if you DO see a vehicle immediately, to drive that shit AWAY from where majority dropped, so long as you remember the flight path.

BearPawB

Banned
Keep in mind that custom games and test servers have always performed a lots better than live / main queue servers.

I wasn't even really talking about the server quality.
But rather the changes to the speed at which you pick up loot. Although yeah, a perfectly smooth server helps that too

iosa

OMG that RNG, I want to uninstal right now.

Land 3 consecutives times on a roof with a guy and he's the one that find the only weapons available. Then I land in the military with I think 20 people I have a whole building for me but the only weapon is a freaking kar. Obviously a die to my first encounter.

Land 3 consecutives times on a roof with a guy and he's the one that find the only weapons available. Then I land in the military with I think 20 people I have a whole building for me but the only weapon is a freaking kar. Obviously a die to my first encounter.

On the flipside of that RNG coin, in my last match I landed near a tiny cluster of houses on the coast far away from everyone, and was gifted a VSS and plenty of gear to keep me going spread between 2 houses. Oh, and a bike handily parked just down the road. That single looting took me all the way to #2 (threw my chicken dinner away on a stupid mistake, as always).

Why you go to the military place among all places if you don't like RNG :/

After 115 hours, i never even tried to go there in solo. I just try to go the furthest point possible from the plane, at the end of the course when almost everybody have already jumped.

Levito

Banned
i really need to go for more crates. I've only gotten the ghillie suite once because me and a friend dropped to the left of military base, took a boat to the bottom, and ran north and a crate dropped right on us perfectly. he took the awp i took the suite, but since then I've never even seen another, let alone am ballsy enough to hit crates, as they tend to drop in some bad spots.

Honestly I got really lucky getting it. It was like the 4th last circle, the crate dropped in the middle of a river and I opened it from under water. lol

iosa

Why you go to the military place among all places if you don't like RNG :/

After 115 hours, i never even tried to go there in solo. I just try to go the furthest point possible from the plane, at the end of the course when almost everybody have already jumped.

It's fine there when you're just looking for fight which I was as I wanted some blood.

deoee

First Chicken Dinner and man does it taste good.

A match that started with a shitty spawn (two cities, NO BACKPACKS AT ALL) but we snagged a buggy and drove to the other side of the island.
Killed some random camping hoe and then drove straight into the circle where we had a superb sniping position.

Last guy had the disadvantage and had to push down a hill. Hit him a few times but he hid behind the tree you see in the screenshot. My Frag said hello and we won :)

Levito

Banned
Does anyone in here have weird frame pacing issues in this game? I have a GTX1080, game runs are 90-100fps at all times, but the frame pacing itself makes it feel not so smooth.

Any suggestions?

pr0cs

I wish there were replays so you knew where you got killed from, I'd like to continue watching from still alive players perspectives too but I can see why you can't for cheating purposes. Still, they could obscure the names somehow so you could stay and watch how the match unfolded

SomTervo

On the flipside of that RNG coin, in my last match I landed near a tiny cluster of houses on the coast far away from everyone, and was gifted a VSS and plenty of gear to keep me going spread between 2 houses. Oh, and a bike handily parked just down the road. That single looting took me all the way to #2 (threw my chicken dinner away on a stupid mistake, as always).

In my experience the trick when you get to #2/3 is to let the chicken dinner come to you.

Try and sit still as much as possible. Try not to move much or be obvious. Just wait and wait and wait.

If need be auto-crawl (with CTRL held down for slowness) to the safe zone.

Just wait them out. More times than not, they'll eventually expose themselves or run into your gun.

I wish there were replays so you knew where you got killed from, I'd like to continue watching from still alive players perspectives too but I can see why you can't for cheating purposes. Still, they could obscure the names somehow so you could stay and watch how the match unfolded

Replays coming, someone linked it earlier. It's like a top-down view of the whole map with tracking for every player from start to finish.

Top Bottom