• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Moonkeis

Soooooo close, ended up at #2 a couple of times this weekend. The amount of entertainment this game is brought when I'm grouped with friends has been priceless. I don't think I've had this much fun since my Bad Company days.

Though, I was definitely to blame for not getting the chicken dinner last night. We were down to 5, I took 3 out, and accidentally got too trigger happy and executed my buddy crawling on the floor towards me.

Damn I fucked up and waited too long before moving in and the blue circle of death killed me extremely fast. It was prob the second to last blue circle. Could have prob won it if I moved earlier :(

Anyone have any good guides or tips regarding how to parachute faster or further distances (besides looking straight now) and zeroing for long range shots?

TheRed

Man I had two great duo chicken dinners to close out the night. It was a ton of fun. This is my Gift for sure. Which is crazy with all the other amazing games this year.

Damn I fucked up and waited too long before moving in and the blue circle of death killed me extremely fast. It was prob the second to last blue circle. Could have prob won it if I moved earlier :(

Anyone have any good guides or tips regarding how to parachute faster or further distances (besides looking straight now) and zeroing for long range shots?

Aim your camera up, like looking at the sky, while holding W to range out when you exit the plane. Spin the parachute in a downward spiral gets you to the ground fastest. Zero in with page up and page down. On your minimap every small square is 100m, so estimate where they are on the map and then zero accordingly.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Oh boy.. Some guy yesterday only grabbed a shotgun+shells and was waiting for me to loot all 10 buildings and come up to his stupid stairs on the 2nd floor.

How is it fun to not move for 5 minutes????
Also, fuck stairs in this game

Blizzard

Banned
Åesop;244323015 said:
Oh boy.. Some guy yesterday only grabbed a shotgun+shells and was waiting for me to loot all 10 buildings and come up to his stupid stairs on the 2nd floor.

How is it fun to not move for 5 minutes????
Also, fuck stairs in this game
Much of the game, like the middle 15 minutes, can involve just not getting noticed while everyone else kills themselves. Camping is one reliable strategy to get loot and not be killed.

I don't know how people stay focused if they camp for more than 10 minutes though. If you don't hear something then what are the odds you'll react quickly enough when someone finally appears?

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Much of the game, like the middle 15 minutes, can involve just not getting noticed while everyone else kills themselves. Camping is one reliable strategy to get loot and not be killed.

I don't know how people stay focused if they camp for more than 10 minutes though. If you don't hear something then what are the odds you'll react quickly enough when someone finally appears?

That was straight after spawning though.. Since I never heard anything I assumed he ran in a different direction. But all he did was grabbing a shotgun while running to the stairs of the last building

Åesop;244323690 said:
That was straight after spawning though.. Since I never heard anything I assumed he ran in a different direction. But all he did was grabbing a shotgun while running to the stairs of the last building

I mean, it worked, he picked the right strategy for his own preservation in that moment.

Can't look at it like "man that's bullshit" it's a valid strategy.

Magwik

Banned
Camping out at the start of a match easily makes the most sense.
It's the most unpredictable part of the match when someone else is nearby.
If you don't know where they went you're better off booking it.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's just annoying that this kind of behaviour is rewarded and there's nothing I can do instead of taking a shotgun to the face while running up the stairs, just because some idiot didnt move for 10 minutes.

And its frustrating that there are people who boot up the game and think "hmmm, ok I will have so much fun while sitting here and staring at the screen for 10 minutes and not move at all, how else am i supposed to get a positive K/D ratio that will get reset at the end of the year anyway"

Blizzard

Banned
Åesop;244324722 said:
Yeah, it's just annoying that this kind of behaviour is rewarded and there's nothing I can do instead of taking a shotgun to the face while running up the stairs, just because some idiot didnt move for 10 minutes.

And its frustrating that there are people who boot up the game and think "hmmm, ok I will have so much fun while sitting here and staring at the screen for 10 minutes and not move at all, how else am i supposed to get a positive K/D ratio that will get reset at the end of the year anyway"
Regarding your first paragraph, is someone truly an idiot if they get lots of free loot in a safe manner and potentially win the match?

Regarding your second paragraph, since the entire goal of the game is to be the last person alive, perhaps their goal is to be alive rather than get a positive K/D ratio? And if their goal is to be the last person alive, they're going about it in an effective way.

So perhaps what you're arguing is that the goal of the game should be something other than last person alive, or there should be a mechanic that prevents someone from playing safely. :p

I had a game where I landed in Lyotka(or whatever it's called), finding a boat, boating my way to the circle(Which ended up being in the northernmost point of the land) and then slowly making my way inward. I got like...0 kills but I shot alotta people with the Ka89. I suck at aiming. But those shots were satisfying.

Wardancer

Neo Member
Åesop;244324722 said:

UH the most important thing in the game is information, if you saw the dude drop with you you need to be more careful, if you didn't see him drop with you and he saw you he had the upperhand and used it to kill you. He got rewarded by doing exactly what hes supposed to.

I see a lot of people value loot or weapons over information and then get absolutely wrecked by someone with a pistol or a shotgun when they had lvl 2 armour and a AR. Especially when dropping into high activity positions. Especially in squads your weapons and kit really doesnt matter as much as knowing exactly where your enemies are. Drop down grab a pistol and then keep a lookout thats whats gonna get you the kills and the chance to gear up early.

chugen

F9Bnlhd.gif

im just that good

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding your first paragraph, is someone truly an idiot if they get lots of free loot in a safe manner and potentially win the match?

Regarding your second paragraph, since the entire goal of the game is to be the last person alive, perhaps their goal is to be alive rather than get a positive K/D ratio? And if their goal is to be the last person alive, they're going about it in an effective way.

So perhaps what you're arguing is that the goal of the game should be something other than last person alive, or there should be a mechanic that prevents someone from playing safely. :p

I think you get what I was trying to say ( ͡ ° ͜ʖ ͡°) Maybe I should just stop going up stairs and let them sit there for 30 minutes.

Also, how about smaller maps with less players? Like one map that's just a city, or a big asylum? No open fields with 20 bushmen tactically waiting with a sniper.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
UH the most important thing in the game is information, if you saw the dude drop with you you need to be more careful, if you didn't see him drop with you and he saw you he had the upperhand and used it to kill you. He got rewarded by doing exactly what hes supposed to.

He didnt' really drop with me, but a bit further away in the forest. There was a small chance that he would run up to me, so i kept looking out for him. By the time I got my first 3 buildings he must have sneaked up into the last one, grabbed a shotgun and went up the 2nd floor to wait. There was no chance I could have noticed him.

I know, he used a tactic that worked. But that doesn't really make me feel like wooah I got outskilled by that beast e-sports player, he really deserved that one, you know?

Åesop;244324722 said:

is he really the idiot if he's the one who came out of that scenario alive? You just sound salty man. It's always going to be a part of a game like this, it wouldn't make any sense if it wasn't. You also have no idea if he was really just waiting in the building the whole time, it's possible he saw/heard you coming and laid an ambush, as I have done many times.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
is he really the idiot if he's the one who came out of that scenario alive? You just sound salty man. It's always going to be a part of a game like this, it wouldn't make any sense if it wasn't. You also have no idea if he was really just waiting in the building the whole time, it's possible he saw/heard you coming and laid an ambush, as I have done many times.

I know it because none of the buildings were looted, it was clearly the only guy that spawned in the whole area, he even made the effort to close the door and ignore all the loot. He was naked except for the shotgun and not a single footstep throughout 5 minutes. Of course you get salty when someone kills you with a zero skill tactic. I'm just venting tbh

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Holy shit, my hearth was pounding so hard when this happened:
QrQncpkh.jpg

My trip to Lipovka only gave me lvl 1 vest, ump and sks. Then I had to drive from Lipovka to northern part of Georgopol. Didn't have any time to stop and shoot enemies, blue circle was constantly chasing me.

I still don't know how I survived. People were shooting me left and right when I drove past apartment buildings, yet I managed to get inside one when I had no other choice.

When it was finally 1v1 situation, I was camping in the kitchen and my enemy was outside throwing grenades through a window, luckily I didn't take any damage from those.
He could have easily killed me, because I only had lvl 1 vest, but he didn't rush inside until it was too late for him.

GG, I will gladly take that chicken dinner even with 0 kills.

Pacifist runs are truly the best.

OraleeWey

Åesop;244326669 said:
I know it because none of the buildings were looted, it was clearly the only guy that spawned in the whole area, he even made the effort to close the door and ignore all the loot. He was naked except for the shotgun and not a single footstep throughout 5 minutes. Of course you get salty when someone kills you with a zero skill tactic. I'm just venting tbh

By killing you he now has all your loot. That's a good tactic. The loot came to him.

Daffy Duck

There is no wrong way to play. That's the beauty of this game.

Stop complaining just because someone outsmarted you.

Totally, the other guy read the situation, and won out.

Hell I've died to the same thing, but I've never done it again.

There's a valid tactic also in seeing another guy, knowing where he will go, head into a building, pick up a weapon and rush that other player to try and force them into an error as they possibly wont be expecting it.

I love my personal strategy for playing which is more pacifist at the start and stealth. But sometimes you just feel like Rambo and want to rush the other guy.

Totally, the other guy read the situation, and won out.

Hell I've died to the same thing, but I've never done it again.

There's a valid tactic also in seeing another guy, knowing where he will go, head into a building, pick up a weapon and rush that other player to try and force them into an error as they possibly wont be expecting it.

I love my personal strategy for playing which is more pacifist at the start and stealth. But sometimes you just feel like Rambo and want to rush the other guy.

Being able to read people is a huge asset in this game. My friend and I were playing duo and dropped into the Quarry (west of the Power Plant) and saw another group of 2 drop in at the exact same time. My friend landed on the roof of the building overlooking the warehouses in the Quarry and I landed right outside the front door. I told him to just work his way through and try and give me an idea of when they were coming. He just crept window to window looking for them and when he saw them let me know. I ran straight past everything on the first floor and grabbed the first gun I could on the second floor--which happened to be an M4 and 60 bullets--and a Police Vest that was near it. He told me he saw them leaving the warehouses and they were on their way towards the front door.

I told him to take his time and I just camped in stairwell between the first and second floor and let them think we had both landed on the roof and were working our way down. Sure enough, they grab everything they can and start heading towards the stairwell--where I mowed them down. I knew I could see them before they noticed me from the angle I was playing, and I had every advantage. I got the first guy who wasn't even looking towards the stairs when he came into view, and the second one tried to creep forward but I could see his feet well before he had any vision of me--lit up his legs for an easy kill.

In the same vein, I've gotten outplayed several times already. But everything should be an opportunity to learn something new--whether it's new approaches you can take to fights or how effective certain weapons can be in certain areas.

Jibbed

I've learned more in 5 hours of jumping into high population zones straight away (and watching skilled streamers) than 70+ of trying to avoid confrontration. Force yourself into awkward situations and you'll be much better off in the long run. I know that even if I'm surrounded by 3-4 people with barely a pistol or machete to get my by, I can still hold my own.

Besides, this method means you're jumping back in to a new game in 5 minutes instead of after 20 minutes of looting and no kills.

Some tips that have probably got buried in the thread by now:

• Holding shift when ADS steadies all weapons, not just snipers. Also zooms in a little bit which always helps.
  • Keep moving side to side, crouching, standing etc. when looting someone's box. Makes you a much harder target to headshot.
  • If someone's shooting at you from range but you don't know where, get to cover then bait them. Pop in and out, circle the tree/rock or whatever til you locate them.
  • If you're the person shooting from range, keep firing off shots even if your target finds cover. They might not have spotted you yet and think they're still exposed.
  • Each sqaure on the main map grid = 100m. Use this to effectively zero 4x / 8x scopes. I got a 700m headshot the other day with this method, works as advertised.
  • Boosts (drinks, painkillers) >>> ammo. Prioritise these when looting, then make sure you keep your meter as full as possible in the last few circles. It'll save your ass.

As a general rule, once I've hit the ground and found a gun I actively hunt down the people in my vicinity. Stealth is for the endgame.

I've learned more in 5 hours of jumping into high population zones straight away (and watching skilled streamers) than 70+ of trying to avoid confrontration. Force yourself into awkward situations and you'll be much better off in the long run. I know now that even if I'm surrounded by 3-4 people with barely a pistol or machete to get my by, I can still hold my own.

Besides, this method means you're jumping back in to a new game in 5 minutes instead of after 20 minutes of looting and no kills.

Some tips that have probably got buried in the thread by now:

• Keep moving side to side, crouching, standing etc. when looting someone's box. Makes you a much harder target to headshot.
  • If someone's shooting at you from range but you don't know where, get to cover then bait them. Pop in and out, circle the tree/rock or whatever til you locate them.
  • If you're the person shooting from range, keep firing off shots even if your target finds cover. They might not have spotted you yet and think they're still exposed.
  • Each sqaure on the main map grid = 100m. Use this to effectively zero 4x / 8x scopes. I got a 700m headshot the other day with this method, works as advertised.
  • Boosts (drinks, painkillers) >>> ammo. Prioritise these when looting, then make sure you keep your meter as full as possible in the last few circles. It'll save your ass.
If you don't already, watch TSM_Viss. He's great.

Went around a player who duelled against someone else, sneaked up from behind, filled him with a lot of bullets and suddenly, lag.
I got "Network disconnected" and suddenly ended up in water or something.
This is cheating I guess, any way to report this or something?

23qwerty

Went around a player who duelled against someone else, sneaked up from behind, filled him with a lot of bullets and suddenly, lag.

Yeah, probably not cheating.

Jobbs

Banned
Something I've been curious about...

I've been watching Anthony and Grimmz since the game entered early access. Both of their streams have grown a lot since that time. Grimmz, though, has absolutely fucking exploded. He gets up to 20k viewers a night, and the other night he got up to 25k.

I'm just curious why. I'm not throwing shade at grimmz -- I love him. He's a great streamer, great at the game, super funny, and chill.

Anthony is all of those things, too, though, and in some ways may even be more polished.

Anyone have any theories? Again, not hating on Grimmz. Love Grimmz. Just curious why the disparity.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

I've been watching Anthony and Grimmz since the game entered early access. Both of their streams have grown a lot since that time. Grimmz, though, has absolutely fucking exploded. He gets up to 20k viewers a night, and the other night he got up to 25k.

I'm just curious why. I'm not throwing shade at grimmz -- I love him. He's a great streamer, great at the game, super funny, and chill.

Anthony is all of those things, too, though, and in some ways may even be more polished.

Anyone have any theories? Again, not hating on Grimmz. Love Grimmz. Just curious why the disparity.

Grimmz plays with the Doc and Anthony doesn't? Grimmz has a cooler name?

chugen

maybe grimmz had more highlight posted on the pubg subreddit

noomi

Chicken dinner was taken from me last night, I had one of the best solo games I've ever had (7 kill) it's down to me and one guy, I'm prone and he is behind a tree..... I throw a 'nade he runs out see's me. I'm prone so my visibility is covered with grass and I botch my shots... he kills me :*(

Feels bad men, but 7 kills felt good.

Gaz_RB

That's just lag homie

I'm looking to buy a new pc just to play this (and duck game). Trying to stay within $800-1200. Anyone have any recommendations?

I considered building one but I'm just a theatre major. I would blow up my house trying to build it.
Thanks for any help.

That's just lag homie

Weird that I get network lag just that one time, the very millisecond I spray him full with bullets, and somehow end up in water. Heard about lag cheating but I guess it's just lag since you seem so sure.
Not like there's a way to report anyway, what I can see.

Top Bottom