• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Beefwheat

So I gather that the commentators at the invitational aren't in control of the camera? Because it's got to be super fun commentating when the camera person keeps cutting away from the ends of fights :mad:

JDB

Banned
Explain how?
Tales from his ass.

Camping in first person means getting next to no information which puts you at a disadvantage. Camping in third person means being safe while getting free information. Somehow this means campaign would be worse in first person because... reasons?

Venfayth

Tales from his ass.

Camping in first person means getting next to no information which puts you at a disadvantage. Camping in third person means being safe while getting free information. Somehow this means campaign would be worse in first person because... reasons?

Do you think people are camping because they can 3peak?

They're camping because they don't want to get killed. Playing for keeps means you take as little risk as possible.

3peaking is not why people camp in tourney, it's a tool to abuse when you're camping.

So I gather that the commentators at the invitational aren't in control of the camera? Because it's got to be super fun commentating when the camera person keeps cutting away from the ends of fights :mad:

No they arent. At any (AFAIK) esports, the cameraman or the observer is a dedicated job. In most cases its a whole team of people that just work on the camera.

The ones working on this are fucking garbage.

jeffc919

It just looks so damn unattractive in first person. I'm gonna give it another go tonight but so far I've highly preferred tpp.

Agree. 1PP feels really tacked on (because it is). Feels like my eyes are 2 feet above the ground too, even though people have pointed out that it's the scale of objects on the map that create this problem.

I'll also say that while I generally prefer 1PP in games for more immersion, I do think that 3PP might even make encounters play out more realistically because the peeking around corners is somewhat analagous to how someone would barely expose themselves to peek around cover. It also provides a better FOV without getting a fishbowl effect and you're able to more seemlessly look around and behind you (and therefore have better situational awareness). All of these things contribute to a more tactical kind of game than your typical run and gun FPS.

JDB

Banned

They're camping because they don't want to get killed. Playing for keeps means you take as little risk as possible.

3peaking is not why people camp in tourney, it's a tool to abuse when you're camping.
1. Literally everyone in these matches is already 'camping' in buildings
2. Kills also count towards points you earn in these tournaments so staying alive long isn't the only thing that matters
3. Camping in buildings only works for so long, getting information is key to winning and that is much harder to do in first person than in third

Aselith

Sitting under cover with no view is a really really good way to get a grenade in the ass or rushed by someone you have no positional info on except the limits of pure audio. Camping will happen in all modes but with FPP you have to make a choice between being informed about your environment OR being safe. Depending on the situation, TPP grants both.

Explain why FPP will make it worse not why camping happens. People still have to move to the circle, people still have to gather equipment. You can sit but you lose out on a lot which is why people still move. FPP helps alleviate the advantages of boring play in standoffs. Camping is going to happen but FPP helps make the standoffs more interesting.

Burt

Oh my god the camera controller, please

Yeah, I'm pretty forgiving of a new esport that's still in early access, but the failure to handle the camera even when it was down to ~5 players is a real problem. The controls must be a complete mess.

#teamthirdperson

Who ever leads this spectating is trashfire. Clearly has no idea where to go and when and to what focus. All over the place and fixating on players who has nothing going on.

Even Jericho is better at spectating BG games with 100 players.

I think it's a full production issue, and not just the person with the observer cam. I get the sense that they're trying to hide the part where the textures load in, so they switch to a player cam whenever they want to move the observer. The problem is, they often switch to a player cam that has nothing to do with whatever engagement they're currently following, and they also frequently switch back to the observer when they're looking at the map as there's action happening.

Venfayth

FPP is good for aggression when people have nothing to lose, but worse when money is on the line. If you really believe removing information will make players less inclined to camp, I don't know what to tell you, just that I think you're going to be disappointed when you see a FPP tournament and people are camping just as much, if not more.

FPP is good for action when it happens because it lets you move towards your opponents more easily, but bad for inciting action in a tournament. People will be even more timid than they are right now.

I play both modes, I won two in TPP yesterday and three in FPP, I understand why people prefer one or the other, but I'm telling you a tournament situation is a completely different game than playing online for nothing.

Woo-Fu

Banned
This 1st person vs. 3rd person argument is kind of stupid. FFS people, you're going to see both at this tournament. After the FP duo rounds it should be obvious which is more entertaining to spectate, which has better gameplay, which has more/less camping. Just watch and find out.

I personally can't stand 3rd person. Knowing there could be a magic cameraman sitting behind any/every tree, rock, etc. just makes the game no fun. Not being able to push effectively makes the game no fun. Will most likely never play 3rd person again now that 1st person is in normal queue.

Break illustrated it perfectly in the first round. He got 11 kills camping in a bush, a shack, and behind a tree.

Anne

No they arent. At any (AFAIK) esports, the cameraman or the observer is a dedicated job. In most cases its a whole team of people that just work on the camera.

The ones working on this are fucking garbage.

FWIW, there is an extremely steep learning curve to being an observer in any new game. I'm willing to imagine there's a severe lack of XP with the spectating client and understanding how to track the better players in general.

All things considered, the fact this is even remotely watchable is pretty impressive. Trust me on this, it can and should be going way worse than this.

Uiki

This 1st person vs. 3rd person argument is kind of stupid. FFS people, you're going to see both at this tournament. After the FP duo rounds it should be obvious which is more entertaining to spectate, which has better gameplay, which has more/less camping. Just watch and find out.

I personally can't stand 3rd person. Knowing there could be a magic cameraman sitting behind any/every tree, rock, etc. just makes the game no fun. Not being able to push effectively makes the game no fun. Will most likely never play 3rd person again now that 1st person is in normal queue.

Break illustrated it perfectly in the first round. He got 11 kills camping in a bush, a shack, and behind a tree.

The fight between fl0m and psisyndacate near mylta in game 2 was even more ridicolous.

Aselith

FPP is good for aggression when people have nothing to lose, but worse when money is on the line. If you really believe removing information will make players less inclined to camp, I don't know what to tell you, just that I think you're going to be disappointed when you see a FPP tournament and people are camping just as much, if not more.

FPP is good for action when it happens because it lets you move towards your opponents more easily, but bad for inciting action in a tournament. People will be even more timid than they are right now.

I play both modes, I won two in TPP yesterday and three in FPP, I understand why people prefer one or the other, but I'm telling you a tournament situation is a completely different game than playing online for nothing.

Why is it worse. You keep saying things and not giving any reasoning. Support your claims

FWIW, there is an extremely steep learning curve to being an observer in any new game. I'm willing to imagine there's a severe lack of XP with the spectating client and understanding how to track the better players in general.

All things considered, the fact this is even remotely watchable is pretty impressive. Trust me on this, it can and should be going way worse than this.

It is not the fact that the Observer cant find the right action that is causing this problem. Its the fact that they cut AWAY from a fight is the real issue. The former is forgivable, if you (and the game) are new it happens, you cant be expected to keep track for dozens of people without some experience. The latter though is a fuck up that is inexcusable.

If there is a technical reason for this it is understandable. But if there isnt, this is just shit observing. You NEVER cut away from a fight to show players un-engaged.

Absolutely inexcusable.

Kakaroach

I don't know much about PUBG besides the couple of streams I've watched but tuned in today to the stream. Goddamn 130k viewers??? That's awesome.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I think arguing that people will be timid because money is on the line is ignoring the simple fact that you get points for kills.

Suspect that the point value for kills will get increased in future tournaments if 5 isn't enough to keep people fighting.

Baby steps, people.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I like 3rd and 1st, they feel like different games. I prefer FPP because there's less camping and you can be more aggressive without just getting sniped from nowhere.

Dartastic

I wish this game had a death cam so you can see how you died. It's so frustrating to just... get shot out of nowhere when you think you're in cover and have no idea where the bullets came from. :(

Venfayth

Why is it worse. You keep saying things and not giving any reasoning. Support your claims

I have explained it twice now.

I'll type it a different way a third time.

FPP improves engagements and mobility during engagements. It does this by ensuring that when fighting someone you both have to be risking vision of eachother at the same time.

Improving engagements DOES NOT encourage aggression in a tournament setting. Players are most inclined to survive because rank far outweighs kill score.

What FPP does is reduce information each player has. When players #1 goal is to survive, they are going to hunker down in locations where they know they are safe because the act of gaining information is more risky. This is what I mean when I say players will play even more timid than they are right now.

Fights, when they happen, will be more exciting to watch in FPP, and they will happen because the circle forces players to move, but at the very best camping will be just as much of a strategy as it is right now.

jeffc919

I wish this game had a death cam so you can see how you died. It's so frustrating to just... get shot out of nowhere when you think you're in cover and have no idea where the bullets came from. :(

Supposed to be coming at some point I think along with an observer mode, to solo anyway.

Just tuning in and these observers need a lot of work in keeping an eye on the action and predicting where stuff is going to happen; instead of just doing a static followcam on someone driving or running in a field.

Anne

It is not the fact that the Observer cant find the right action that is causing this problem. Its the fact that they cut AWAY from a fight is the real issue. The former is forgivable, if you (and the game) are new it happens, you cant be expected to keep track for dozens of people without some experience. The latter though is a fuck up that is inexcusable.

If there is a technical reason for this it is understandable. But if there isnt, this is just shit observing. You NEVER cut away from a fight to show players un-engaged.

Absolutely inexcusable.

I'm willing to bet what is happening is somebody on the observer team is making calls on where they think action is happening during predicted down time in fights. It's unfortunate because the observers probably don't know what's going on on other cams since they need to keep up with so many people, and at the same time whoever is in charge of the actual feed has a lot on their plate.

I'd imagine the communication on those teams in this game is a nightmare. These types of errors happen in 5v5 and 6v6 games like Overwatch and CSGO still sometimes. Now do it with even just 20+ solo players. I think it would be better for them to just commit to one cam instead of being greedy and trying to capture as much stuff as possible.

There's something about 0 kill wins that are kinda... satisfying? You feel like the operative with tactical responsibility in your squad - last game I was plotting our route, driving and giving orders to push etc.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is Reshade 100% allowed? The game looks really nice with it, you can see the game switch between it on and off at times on the stream.

abelasabel

Neo Member
Is Reshade 100% allowed? The game looks really nice with it, you can see the game switch between it on and off at times on the stream.

yeah its allowed, when reshade didn't work not too long ago they tried to fix it ASAP, really says how important it is.

Paz

Everyone needs to thank Evermore for demonstrating how stupid the ability to heal your way to top 10 is, winning on points with the most absurd strategy.

All perfectly valid.

love the commentators going nuts over the kill feed while the observer spectates someone prone doing nothing in a shed

When they switched to him initially, I thought that they shouldn't go to anyone who has a really well fortified position. Even if they have a good advantage they're less likely to voluntarily get into engagements. Need to be hovering around the edge of the circle or outside of it where people are forced to fight.

I wonder if you're Break or someone who had a shot at beating Evermore in total points, if there's a weird metagame strategy where you want to take the risk of going for as many kills as you can get, just so you can possibly kill Evermore and prevent him from getting a high placement.

Top Bottom