• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Xyber

Apparently, someone found a way to "greatly improve FPS"

Here's the link (reddit)

As with most weird performance fixes that comes from reddit, this did absolutely nothing for me. Then again, I also never trust what most people say there when it comes to performance since it's never backed up by any evidence. The only guy I found in that thread who did so only saw worse 0.1 and 1% frame times with a crazy 2 FPS increase to the average!

The game performance varies a lot depending on where you are, where you are looking and what weather you have. I did 2 games where I went to the exact same spot with no one around, sunny weather, and saw no difference at all in my performance. YMMV, but with a 1080Ti and i7 5820K, this did nothing.

3Dprinted

Neo Member
Just want to celebrate my first Solo Chicken Dinner with you guys!!!
My stats:
Played 100 hours only solo, arrived 2nd like 20+ times and got robbed of the 1st place for performance issues at least twice i think...
Happy with it though, great great game!
What are your stats? Best tactics? Bye

Daffy Duck

God I want to play so bad but my internet has really crapped out recently and I’m getting anywhere from dropped connections to 800KB/s connection speeds.

Apparently, someone found a way to "greatly improve FPS"

Here's the link (reddit)

Improved my average FPS running around in a city (typically where it performs the worst) by about 5-10 FPS, not bad.

Still dips into the 40s if I aim with anything stronger than a 2x scope in or at a city.

I do ok surviving but I'm not great at killing people. I'm not sure what weapons I should be keeping an eye out for.

M16A4 is my favorite AR. Super low recoil, fast bullet velocity, can easily substitute for a sniper rifle. 3-round burst mode will melt people in short range so it can actually be used to clear buildings as long as you keep in mind to switch back to single shot mode after leaving the building or if you suspect a ranged engagement coming up.

UMP or Vector with as many attachments as I can scrounge up are my preferred short range weapons.

Mini-14 is a total beast, should always be picked up.

Kar98K is rare but worth picking up if you're a decent shot. I will typically pass over the SKS unless I really need a ranged weapon, I find it has way too low damage for how hard it is to reliably hit people with and how loud it is.

Any AR is worth picking up if you don't already have one. Most recent patch increased recoil on all of them and hit the AKM especially hard but it's still usable in single shot if you time your shots well. I find the SCAR-L easier to control in full auto vs the M416, but SCAR-L also has horrifically bad iron sights so a red dot at minimum is basically required.

Zomba13

The only FPS increase trick I want is something that makes my framerate stay stable when fighting someone who is close to me instead of stuttering when I shoot at them. My FPS are fine most everywhere else, even when shooting people, it's just close combat gives me the stutter and I don't understand why. I've put all the effects down low and everything and somehow seem to be the only person having this issue.

MINI-14 is broken, absolutely NO way it doesn't get nerfed

it's sooo good

I almost suspect that they nerfed all the other guns' recoils to make it stand out even more. It'll probably get a recoil nerf at some point because yeah it's basically a jack of all trades laser at this point. Compensator isn't even necessary. Silencer makes it stupid broken.

What are your stats? Best tactics? Bye

140 hours.

JPFa8jA.png

General strategy for me: drive to a city that you can't easily land on from the plane (for easier looting). Loot. Drive vehicle if you're not in the circle. Stay at the outer edge of the blue and follow it in. Camp at the edge of the circle until it's about to move. Ditch vehicle after the 2nd circle and run around the edge of the blue killing anyone in your way. Continue rotating around so you're constantly at the part of the circle with the least distance of blue-white so you don't have to run far to get inside when it starts moving. Always try to find cover\defilade so you can hide if you're getting shot at.

But that's a pretty basic blueprint. I'll switch it up from time to time and jump to a highly contested area for some practice, which is when my rating tends to drop :p

DieH@rd

Banned
Is there any way for PUBG to automatically enter 1080p 120hz mode? That's the custom resolution of my TV, but game defaults to the ordinary 60hz mode.

[I keep my desktop in native 4K]

Nev

Banned
General strategy for me: drive to a city that you can't easily land on from the plane (for easier looting). Loot. Drive vehicle if you're not in the circle. Stay at the outer edge of the blue and follow it in. Camp at the edge of the circle until it's about to move. Ditch vehicle after the 2nd circle and run around the edge of the blue killing anyone in your way. Continue rotating around so you're constantly at the part of the circle with the least distance of blue-white so you don't have to run far to get inside when it starts moving. Always try to find cover\defilade so you can hide if you're getting shot at.

I'd rather die the 46# and have random fun that do the same tryhard strategy every match.

Sounds incredibly boring.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Went to check some clips and how do people even play when they find out Shroud is in their game? :|

Dude takes a split second to acknowledge the exact positions before wrecking two players in two different spots..

I'd rather die the 46# and have random fun that do the same tryhard strategy every match.

Sounds incredibly boring.

Nobody is saying you have to do what I do, so I don't know what your point is. I was just answering a question. And that question was "best tactics." It's not what I do every game, it's just what tends to be the most successful for me.

There are basically 3 stages to this game. The early stage where most people die off in close quarters battles with no gear against someone that found a better gun faster. The middle stage where everyone camps in houses and nobody fights each other, and the final stage where people are forced to fight. I like the final stage and like to be well prepared for when I get there.

I get anywhere from 5-8 kills this way, and I'm generally better off when I kill a few people in the mid-game. I'm working on getting better at close quarters combat so I can get more kills early on, but until then I like to loot safely and then go looking for fights later on. But I do mix it up from time to time as I do want to improve.

Went to check some clips and how do people even play when they find out Shroud is in their game? :|

Dude takes a split second to acknowledge the exact positions before wrecking two players in two different spots..
ROFL. Shroud is unfair.

Xyber

While that was some great reactions from him, that was also some piss poor defending from the other 2 guys.. :p

2 people aiming right at him with the advantage of knowing exactly where he was gonna show up and still only managed to hit like 1 bullet.

JDB

Banned
While that was some great reactions from him, that was also some piss poor defending from the other 2 guys.. :p

2 people aiming right at him with the advantage of knowing exactly where he was gonna show up and still only managed to hit like 1 bullet.
Considering this game's netcode they probably saw Shroud for like a splitsecond or some nonsense.

Heysoos

I don't play solo much, I don't find it as fun, that said for the first time I got to top 3 by myself. I think the last two players were teamed with each other. They weren't shooting at each other even though they were literally standing together right next to each other. I wanted to blame obviousness but both of them were shooting right at me when I was behind a rock, and they were literally standing side by side for a bit. I'm 1000000% sure I played solo too, not duo.

So some of you might remember by non stop complaints about my mic issues and PC.

Turns out, it works fine when plugged in via USB, so Im using it via my Dualshock 4's headphone jack.... Guess my AUX is just not working, and now Ill need to buy a converter.

So with that said, Im ready to jump back into PUBG with more dedication. Still suck at shooting, knowing enemy shot direction, and getting used to keyboard, but I guess ill learn as I go.

I play Squads just because my surival rate is better and I can learn under the wing of better players

I bought this a while ago and played a few matches but only recently really got into it.

However I have one slight problem, the UI itself feels very laggy, like network lag even though my ping is fine. Also doors. There's like a 1 second delay in opening doors after I press F, right clicking items is not instant and I feel I have to spam it, pressing F to pick up items also takes about the same time. It feels like I have 900-1000 ms ping with doing UI stuff.

I don't have problems with engaging in combat and such, just the above.

Slowly doing better. I managed to shoot at enemies! Didn't get the kills because I got downed near instantly, but I got some pot shots in dammit!

Now the question I have is...why do I get downed so fast? Is it headshots?

As Im inexperienced on PC, Ive learned of DPI and all that. I believe I am at 800 DPI so I adjust my mouse sensitivity to default.

On console, you tend to turn the sensitivity up, but on PC, it seems you should turn it down. And I turned off mouse enhancement/acceleration too.

I could never get the minuscule movement right as I often felt jittery and jumpy

Slowly doing better. I managed to shoot at enemies! Didn't get the kills because I got downed near instantly, but I got some pot shots in dammit!

Now the question I have is...why do I get downed so fast? Is it headshots?

As Im inexperienced on PC, Ive learned of DPI and all that. I believe I am at 800 DPI so I adjust my mouse sensitivity to default.

On console, you tend to turn the sensitivity up, but on PC, it seems you should turn it down. And I turned off mouse enhancement/acceleration too.

I could never get the minuscule movement right as I often felt jittery and jumpy

If it feels jittery or jumpy then your DPI is still too high. If it looks like you're skipping pixels, so to speak, when you move your aim around, then it's too high. If you mess around more you should be able to get it to the point where it's just smooth. Trying lowering the in game sensitivity a bit. Try looking up a video guide about it on YouTube, too, they're on there.

You're getting downed quicker than you're use to probably just because you're not use to playing against PC players. On PC people just tend to miss their shots less, so it can feel like you're universally just dying a lot faster. I moved to PC from consoles a few years ago and remember feeling like there was just way less room for error.

Welp, I'm traveling and learned my lesson about attempting PUBG on internet with slow speeds.

-Hit behind walls multiple times with ridiculous delay
-Obviously being a half second behind another player who kills me with multiple shots within a tenth of a second of peeking
-Watching a guy miss the roof of an apartment, so I decide to loot up before they rush me from the bottom floor... only to get shot by them 10 seconds later from the roof of a different apartment that they got warped to when I wasn't looking
-Multiple shots with M16 bursts or shotgun blasts on unarmored targets that have no hit registration whatsoever

Welp, I'm traveling and learned my lesson about attempting PUBG on internet with slow speeds.

-Hit behind walls multiple times with ridiculous delay
-Obviously being a half second behind another player who kills me with multiple shots within a tenth of a second of peeking
-Watching a guy miss the roof of an apartment, so I decide to loot up before they rush me from the bottom floor... only to get shot by them 10 seconds later from the roof of a different apartment that they got warped to when I wasn't looking
-Multiple shots with M16 bursts or shotgun blasts on unarmored targets that have no hit registration whatsoever

I swear this happened on the last point

I had a shot on a guy and I absolutely shot him as I had clean liine of site... nothing

If it feels jittery or jumpy then your DPI is still too high. If it looks like you're skipping pixels, so to speak, when you move your aim around, then it's too high. If you mess around more you should be able to get it to the point where it's just smooth. Trying lowering the in game sensitivity a bit. Try looking up a video guide about it on YouTube, too, they're on there.

You're getting downed quicker than you're use to probably just because you're not use to playing against PC players. On PC people just tend to miss their shots less, so it can feel like you're universally just dying a lot faster. I moved to PC from consoles a few years ago and remember feeling like there was just way less room for error.

Thanks. Yeah, I had a tendency to up my sensitivity

Feels a bit better now but still getting into the groove

Pc players definitely have lightning reflexes that are screwing with my perception

—-

Btw, did they make the game more optimized? I feel it runs better

I haven't played PUBG in over 3 weeks... working from home today so I just fire it up to fidget with while on some calls. The computer is muted.

9 kills + Chicken dinner... first round in 3+ weeks. I'm guessing with the explosion in popularity there's simply a ton of noobs who are just learning.

Had a game last night. RNG gods were not pleased w/ me. Landed in northern George, searched 3 of the most north east houses and only hand guns. Eventually found on in 2 later large complexes. Constantly running south for the circle, couldn't find vehicles. I think the 3rd circle was coming in and there seemed to be a few people in my predicament as I was able to kill two while running to my left and right. Circle damage was draining me though and had probably taken a shot or two from the 2 kills. Sprinting and some jerk who definitely wasn't going to make the circle starts shooting me from behind while I was SO CLOSE TO SOME COVER and out of the hurt zone. UGH.

Even had I lived and healed I had to keep going south where I'm sure people were setup nicely already and probably would have had a difficult time but I was really angry at that person lol.

prag16

Banned
There are basically 3 stages to this game. The early stage where most people die off in close quarters battles with no gear against someone that found a better gun faster. The middle stage where everyone camps in houses and nobody fights each other, and the final stage where people are forced to fight. I like the final stage and like to be well prepared for when I get there.

This. Stage 1 isn't terribly fun, typically. The only benefits are that you can maybe practice your skill in combat faceoffs, and if you die, you didn't 'waste' too much time.

Stage 3 is by far the most fun/intense part of the game. There's nothing like the tension and rush of being in the final 5 with no precise idea where the other 4 people are; especially in first person mode. Haven't experienced anything else like it in gaming any time recently. To get to stage 3, "having random fun coming in 45th place" isn't the way to make it there. That said, I need more practice in combat encounters myself. So I probably need to be more aggressive, which will in turn ultimately help me in stage 3 of games, even if I don't make it that far as often while practicing.

But the dynamic there is part of what makes the game fun. You can have no skill and make it into the top 20 consistently. Hell you can get a ton of top 10s with no shooter skills if you're smart (with some luck). You won't win, but it's kind of cool that in the final 10-20 you won't ONLY be facing unstoppable juggernauts. And wide varieties of strategies are used by different people.

Daniel R

Just had my first solo win after 68 hours played. 60 of those are probably in squads.
Got an AR supressor off the first guy I killed, then I went bushwookie and had 2 more kills for the win.

Got my first chicken dinner.

In a squad of 4. Where one guy did all the work. And I was downed like a useless jerk.

Though I got 6 hit points. Progress lol

jeffc919

I haven't played PUBG in over 3 weeks... working from home today so I just fire it up to fidget with while on some calls. The computer is muted.

9 kills + Chicken dinner... first round in 3+ weeks. I'm guessing with the explosion in popularity there's simply a ton of noobs who are just learning.

Having a low skill rating (from not playing recently) and playing this late in the month when all the good players have high skill ratings, will match you with weak players initially. I would expect things to get harder if you keep playing, especially with that win boosting your rating!

FYI - ratings are unique to region and mode (solo/squad/duo and 3pp/1pp) so if you want some more easier matches and more wins if you're lucky, go play some more games on servers you haven't touched yet this month.

Mr Swine

Banned
Buahahaha was following my team mate and when we swam a boat with 3 dudes came by and started driving around in circles trying to figure out where we where. My team mate swims under and enters the boat and knocks the three dudes down but we died shortly after.

Top Bottom