• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing The Last Guardian, first time, not enjoying it

Certinty

Hated it and I love puzzle games.

About half way through the game and I can't even force myself to complete it. Thankfully I bought it physically so can sell it at least.

Also to clarify, I 'get' the game and rarely have much frustration at all with Trico, honestly you just have to interact with him and rub him a lot after successful situations and he'll be pretty obedient. The bonding is cool, I just think the boy should be a bit more agile and less clumsy and have his own puzzle sections. I really was looking forward to Ico 2, this only feels like that game in bits and pieces.

Still a great game though, just not as enjoyable as Ico and Sotc so far...still gotta finish it though after I Plat Horizon, maybe it will have a strong lasting impression

c0Zm1c

why is realism (its not even realistic that he sometimes actually just doesn't function) being championed here?

Its not something applied to other games because its often completely arbitrary when Trico decides to do something. We dont need a minute of jumping on his head waiting for him to stop swaying around and do something useful for the sake of this so called realism.
you're being really dishonest comparing a slow moving AI that you hope will function to games where you have control

You're right, you don't. So you must be doing something wrong. For a start, stop jumping on his head. And in fact, get off his head!

bigol

Also to clarify, I 'get' the game and rarely have much frustration at all with Trico, honestly you just have to interact with him and rub him a lot after successful situations and he'll be pretty obedient. The bonding is cool, I just think the boy should be a bit more agile and less clumsy and have his own puzzle sections. I really was looking forward to Ico 2, this only feels like that game in bits and pieces.

Still a great game though, just not as enjoyable as Ico and Sotc so far...still gotta finish it though after I Plat Horizon, maybe it will have a strong lasting impression

I think it will. Where did you stop to play?

Clive

He absolutely doesn't. I replayed both right after TLG, because I was positive Team Ico's games had never controlled so poorly, and they didn't. Ico is perfectly responsive, and Wander had some floaty jumping physics at worst. TLG's has terrible input lag, the boy feels like he's struggling through molasses at all times, and the camera control at launch was almost farcical; 90% of the game you're going upwards to progress, but the camera fought you if you tried to point it upwards. Thankfully they at least patched that.

That's how I felt when replaying ICO immediately after TLG. I had no issues controlling the boy in TLG though and I can't say I noticed any input lag either. The only time I thought it was hard to control the boy was when climbing Trico occasionally. Most of the time it worked fine but sometimes it felt like when shifting from a limb to the body or similar that he wanted to stay on the limb. A small issue.

I get the complaints with Trico's AI and controls but the boy controlled as fine as he needed to. He didn't need to be a super hero.

You're right, you don't. So you must be doing something wrong. For a start, stop jumping on his head. And in fact, get off his head!

sometimes you will be doing the right thing, and he will do it eventually, and sometimes he wont, which just makes you think you're doing the wrong thing even when you werent, but its the AI being jank.

explain to me how this is in any way intuitive or challenging? its an extremely common problem when you look at peoples comments, lets plays, reviews and even Dunkeys video which made it look really bad when but also just standard for a lot of peoples playthroughs.

"You could apply that thinking - that it's a waste of time - to pretty much any game with obstacles or challenges that need to be overcome in order to progress."
might be the most nonsense statement ive heard regarding this

literally waiting for the game to be a game is not the same as solving a puzzle or fighting an enemy in other games.

I think it will. Where did you stop to play?
Just showed me how Trico got attacked at the village and swallowed the boy and brought him to the mountain. Seems there's something special about him with those marks. Solved a few more puzzles after that, but that's the last big story segment I remember.

I wouldn't say there's any point in the game where things drastically change, so if you're not feeling it OP, I guess it's just not your game. I personally loved it beginning to end. I've never played a game that so successfully manages to reflect the real feeling of kinship I have with my dog, and I just emotionally invested from the get go.

The framerate definitely chopped at times, but I didn't find the game to be particularly buggy or have poor ai or anything, but it's obvious that to an extent the game has a way about it and some of us lean in to that and bend to fit it, and some hit the wall and just get nothing but frustration, through no fault of their own. Not a universally loveable game then, but a true great for me.

MrHoot

The thing is TLG demands you unlearn certain principles and then it goes really smoothly.

I barely had issues with controlling Trico once I got that early on. After that, no need to spam any command or force my way through. I did a command, waited and went through. (There was only one puzzle to me that was frustrating mostly because how certain elements were laid out).

But really it was simple: Trico doesn't want to do a thing > it's not the solution, move on.
If it's possible: issue the command once and wait. Observe.

It's really not that hard

Definitively not a game for everyone tho on that front due to how different it is. It's a slow game and requires patience and a different mindset, it doesn't adapt to the player and I think that's where most of the frustration comes from. And if the mood and story just doesn't grip you, well then...

Just woke up, let's just check out this thread about TLG!

... Oh this hurts to read.

Yeah not worth it. Just watch a play through on YouTube.

*goes back to sleep*

Edit: OP I think you are at the stage where it's only about to get better. You've learned the additional commands right?

My only advice is look up how to solve the puzzle once you get to a point where you are under the floor in a pool of water.

But really it was simple: Trico doesn't want to do a thing > it's not the solution, move on.
If it's possible: issue the command once and wait. Observe.

It's really not that hard

the problem is that it seems so long for a visual cue that you just think you're doing something wrong. If being on his head makes him less responsive, why? where is the logic in his back being a better place to issue commands?

BFIB

I tried, but the wonky camera and sluggish controls and movement dampened my experience enough to stop playing it.

MrHoot

the problem is that it seems so long for a visual cue that you just think you're doing something wrong. If being on his head makes him less responsive, why? where is the logic in his back being a better place to issue commands?

You don't really need to be on his back ?

Basically the "go to" command that I used the most was R1 + direction which just point to a place. That command was mostly enough for most situations and I could do it from any place.

Although from his head is mostly considered "bad" because it's an uncomfortable spot. He swerves a lot so I thought it's easier to stay in place if you're on his back or next to him. Even tho, I don't recall having problems issuing commands from his head. It's just that it seemed my character would lose grip easily :U

You don't really need to be on his back ?

one of you is telling me to get off his head
the other is telling me I dont need to

which is it? people who claim to have it figured out cant even seem to come to an agreement
maybe im just far too impatient for this game

I also just felt the back was a really impersonal place to be interacting with this thing from.
Imagine if in The Neverending Story, Atreyu was just riding on Falcor but way far down his back

Please...If you can handle Ico's controls, you can handle these.

How anyone had a problem baffles me. After you understand Trico's behaviors, it's not difficult.

It's a beautiful game and I love the ending. Definitely worth it.

The protagonist's controls are unbearable along with the delay reaction of the camera.

I honestly agree with the people who advise to just watch an LP of it. The gameplay is the single worst thing about the game.

c0Zm1c

sometimes you will be doing the right thing, and he will do it eventually, and sometimes he wont, which just makes you think you're doing the wrong thing even when you werent, but its the AI being jank.

explain to me how this is in any way intuitive or challenging? its an extremely common problem when you look at peoples comments, lets plays, reviews and even Dunkeys video which made it look really bad when but also just standard for a lot of peoples playthroughs.

"You could apply that thinking - that it's a waste of time - to pretty much any game with obstacles or challenges that need to be overcome in order to progress."
might be the most nonsense statement ive heard regarding this

literally waiting for the game to be a game is not the same as solving a puzzle or fighting an enemy in other games.

It's not intuitive, but that's kind of the point. It requires some experimentation to understand Trico's behaviour and responses. But if all you can do is think of it as broken then you're guaranteed to have a hard time with the game.

I'll add Alex Navarro's Quick Look to your mounting list of examples. I would imagine he's generally better at games than me but his approach to this game was clumsy to say the least, and unsurprisingly he was having a hard time of it.

I don't know what's supposed to be nonsense about what I said that you quoted there. The puzzle is in interacting with the AI in a way that makes progress. If you are literally waiting (after spamming commands and jumping up and down on Trico's head like crazy? haha) then again you're doing something wrong.

I do think it's a game you either 'get' or you don't, though that is partly the fault of the game for not explaining its systems in more detail, but I guess they didn't want to do that to preserve the organic nature of Trico?

Very likely.

MrHoot

one of you is telling me to get off his head
the other is telling me I dont need to

which is it? people who claim to have it figured out cant even seem to come to an agreement

I also just felt the back was a really impersonal place to be interacting with this thing from.
Imagine if in The Neverending Story, Atreyu was just riding on Falcor but way far down his back

Hahaha yeah sorry. Mostly i'm going throu my own experience. I think also because of the lack of "clear" indications that people have experimented some mechanics differently. That's how I experienced mine. I've seen for instance entire let's play where the player didn't know how to do the R1 + direction and got really frustrated, or confused the "jump" command with something else.

I think I spent most of the time on the scruff of his neck as it seemed the most natural place for me. The top of his head seemed too wonky :U

Hahaha yeah sorry. Mostly i'm going throu my own experience. I think also because of the lack of "clear" indications that people have experimented some mechanics differently. That's how I experienced mine. I've seen for instance entire let's play where the player didn't know how to do the R1 + direction and got really frustrated, or confused the "jump" command with something else.

I think I spent most of the time on the scruff of his neck as it seemed the most natural place for me. The top of his head seemed too wonky :U

yeah but it looked cool when you make a big jump from that position so figured that was how it was supposed to be

Kthulhu

I am a huge Souls fan but to be fair Bloodborne's launch does seem to be rushed.
The fact that the death loading time is 45-55 seconds average (This never happend in Souls history, ever.)
The loading screen also didn't have any item description at launch, only a big ''Bloodborne'' logo as placeholder.
Remember people defending it saying ''It's not a Dark Souls game so of course there won't be item description in the loading screen, get over it!'' only to see item descriptions patched into the loading screen a month later.
It's absolutely hilarious.

Me and my Soulsborne friends often joked that Bloodborne's true release date is actually April 23rd, 2015. (where Patch 1.03 dropped)

Still, the game is absolutely incredible.

I thought the reason it was kinda fucked was because they released the wrong build of the game?

hope

Banned
It is the Game of the Generation for me.Simply breathtaking.

It really pains me to see stuff like Frame rate and control bull shit noobs have spilled out.Kidds just need everything automated today.

I'm playing it in short bursts whenever my GF is at my place. It's quite a fun experience with 2 people, and of course, as a cat owner she thinks Trico is kinda cute.

We haven't made it far yet but are quite curious as to how this game is going to end.

c0Zm1c

yeah but it looked cool when you make a big jump from that position so figured that was how it was supposed to be

I stuck with the back because it was the most stable part of him. It's the easiest place to stand and give directions, in parts where the boy needs to be on him (like in places where Trico needs to leap between columns).

I got the impression that being on his head was irritating him so I stopped doing that pretty early on.

ironcreed

Banned
I enjoyed it for the the first few hours, but then it started to grate on me with the camera and tanking framerate. I'll try to go back to it one day, but for now I have no desire to finish it.

I'm playing it in short bursts whenever my GF is at my place. It's quite a fun experience with 2 people, and of course, as a cat owner she thinks Trico is kinda cute.

We haven't made it far yet but are quite curious as to how this game is going to end.
Yep, this is exactly how I play it...

It's cool, it's longer than Ico, but I guess I was disappointed because I thought it was Ico 2, and I would be sprinting around as the boy more often without Trico solving my own puzzles.

My wife loves this one the most though, she said Yorda needed to help out a little more lol.

It really pains me to see stuff like Frame rate and control bull shit noobs have spilled out.Kidds just need everything automated today.

TLG is about a notch more challenging than a walking simulator. What is your point?

hampig

There were 3-4 moments in the game that I absolutely loved. There were several hours that I didn't even like. This is coming from a person who could not care less about framerate stuff and is fine dealing with some janky controls. It was the first game ever to make me feel nauseous while playing though, if that says anything. I really wish it was better because I'd been looking forward to it the whole time. : (

komaruR

i bought the game and expected old school platforming (ps2 era). no hand holding (highlighted areas where you know where to go), puzzles to solve.
I got what I expected and liked fable fairytale'ish plot.
I get the OP's frustration but i'm a masochist when it comes to gaming (like to play games at hardest difficulty), so it didn't bother me.
Most likely the case, the OP has been pamper by current modern controls scheme, ease that TLG feel like like a core to play.
Question to OP: Have you played KH1 HD remix, SoTC, or those ps2 era remaster and again to see how those controls it aged for you?

c0Zm1c

The framerate is poor though.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Controls could have been better at times, sure. Still Game of Forever for me.

Trico <3

Audioboxer

Gameplay is frustrating, but the story, animation and sense of journey make up for it. Very few if any experiences like it.

Feel free to dig up my launch week posts. I preordered the game and played maybe 15 hours on launch week and then completed the game a few months later.

Bloodborne's excruciating load screens don't hold a candle to TLG's frustrating elements. At least when Bloodborne was done loading, I was back playing a game that worked near-flawlessly and didn't leave me frustrated with its mechanics.

OP, I got about to the point where you are, I think. The last thing I remember doing is a climbing section where you have to shimmy on ledges down a narrow hallway. I haven't played since and haven't had any desire to. I'm glad I bought it and at least supported Team Ico, but hopefully their next game is better.

My girlfriend actually started the game before I did. She's not a huge gamer (we do crush it at Overcooked, though), but she kept telling me how frustrating it was to get Trico to do anything she wanted. I figured maybe she just wasn't used to the controls and playing in a 3D environment. When I finally got the time to play, I legit had the same exact frustrations she did. Trico responds when he wants and the boy is clumsy as hell. He falls over everything.

OP, don't feel bad about not enjoying it. You're definitely not alone.

At least when Bloodborne was done loading, I was back playing a game that worked near-flawlessly

I dunno, the camera and framerate in BB werent the greatest at times.
Framerate seemingly being an issue in most of the recent Japanese games ive played, TLG, Zelda, Pokemon, BB, FFXV. While Camera being an issue in half of them too.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I just dont understand the frustration people have with this game. Yes, it's not as fluid as say Uncharted 4 or Doom. But it's not unplayable either. The scenario you described is weird because i am pretty sure when he plays with the chain, it opens a door and YOU have to walk through it. Maybe look up the solution?

In my 12-15 hours of gameplay, he only went back maybe twice. He did refuse to go where I want while i was on his back many times but i soon figured out it was easier to go on the ground and just have him follow me. I'd say in total, i lost maybe 15-20 minutes to trying to get him to do what i wanted.

The biggest issue with the game was the stupid barrel physics. But there are only three of those puzzles total. These physics were largely responsible for making some of the setpieces in the game possible so i'd say they were worth it.

I find that gamers nowadays are just too unforgiving of awkward controls. I heard so many complaints about the camera i thought it was going to be unplayable. It never hindered my progress in anyway whatsoever. Trico not going where you want might be frustrating but just get off of him and make him follow you whenever you can. Stop riding him like a horse. Just use him for jumps. You shouldnt be using anything other than R1+Triangle.

The final 3 hours are magnificent and i would hate to see people give up or go in pissed just wanting to finish the game. Try to adjust to the controls. Try to get used to Trico. If you go in with an open mind you will get to experience some of the most aweinspiring finales in a video game.

I dunno, the camera and framerate in BB werent the greatest at times.
Framerate seemingly being an issue in most of the recent Japanese games ive played, TLG, Zelda, Pokemon, BB, FFXV. While Camera being an issue in half of them too.

I'll give you that. It definitely chugs in fast paced boss fights. It never bothered me, though.

spekkeh

Banned
It was my number 3 game of 2016. I wrote about it

3. The Last Guardian ; The story of a dim-witted, clumsy creature who doesn't listen to any of the player's commands, and the bond it develops with a mythical animal called Trico.

Well that doesn't tell you much. Yes it's mostly boring and annoying. The game is about twice as long as it should be, and the entire game feels like it wasn't playtested once. It does get better though. The final few hours start slowly building up to a quite beautiful crescendo. If the game was actually fun to play it would've been my number one. As it stands it's a.. well I won't even call it a flawed masterpiece. Just a flawed really good game. But it feels like an auteured game. And in that respect I want to say yes continue playing it, because we have precious little of those.

I finally got around to playing 3 hours of the game recently after borrowing it from an acquaintance and I just couldn't take it. As a disclaimer, I really enjoyed ICO...SOTC to a lesser degree from what I played.

I mean, godspeed to people who can put up with the level of power-jank in TLG but it's just fucking frustrating and obnoxious to me from the time I spent with it. It's truly a shame it turned out this way as I really love the atmosphere, the entire setting, the idea...I mean everything but the actual gameplay.

All in all, it reminded me of the video game equivalent of a pretentious art house flick. Good intentions, fantastic style and nothing under the hood.

Ryde3

I didn't really enjoy it, I dropped the game pretty quickly. Clunky controls, and none of the elements were really fun to me.

You would think, awful controls being the generally accepted major gripe with the first two games, the team would refine that aspect the most within a decade's time. I guess Ueda simply isn't that good of a developer/director for videogames. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Top Bottom