• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian and the Tests of Patienceヾ(#`0´)ノ

Do you think Bluepoint should remake this game for the PS5 and fix all of its design and AI issues?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Man, never I was so amazed and at the same time so frustrated while playing a video game, which should not make you angry and frustrated at all by design and based on what it is and what it's trying to say and show you. It's like, one minute you're trying to pick up your jaw from the floor just cuz of how amazing the game looks (let's face it - for a PS3 game) when it comes to art, architecture of the world etc., how great the sense of place and scale is, how breathtaking the animations are of literally everything, how they even thought about making Trico's eyes shine in the dark, wet and dirty just like they are when it comes to cats in real life for example, to show you how sad he is and makes you care about him etc, even if he's dumb...

Ww2Q0BR.jpg
BEEgFX1.jpg
1EG5ZUy.jpg
bypsT1g.jpg
q1NQeCg.jpg
Kcbpm6G.jpg
C7hGich.jpg
ViJVt8M.jpg
VqCpE33.jpg
Wh2NKQz.jpg
kYS4xUK.jpg
8CPa0F3.jpg
rXY9IUC.jpg
UrBBs55.jpg
5LyeP7G.jpg
jkp2X5r.jpg
ebOahua.jpg
kyDVvd1.jpg
dyp6tlA.jpg

....and then you're fighting with absolutely abysmal camera and stupid Triko's AI which is refusing to help you and do what needs to be done to progress further into the game. The camera is probably your worst enemy in this game... after Trico of course. I hate it so much, It's very floaty, extremely annoying to control if not impossible at times cuz it'll just bounce of walls and various obsticles and there's almost nothing you can do about it except to fight for countrol as if you're fighting for your life. And Trico.... I swear, as good and as adorable he looks, he's AI is x10 times as dumb and stupid. It took me two complete reastarts of the game to make him rise and stand againts the wall for me to get where the game want's me to go. Even the fact that you can sort of tell him what to do is not working like 80% of the time and it's also no helping that you don't even know what you need to do at times to make him do something and at what place.

Honestly, this heavy reliance on Trico's stupid and dumb AI to progress through the game from a designt stanpoint sucks out if not all enjoyment ouf of the game, but diffinitely significant chunk of it for sure along with the camera issues. You can clearly see that devs tried to add options for the boy as well with various vines hanging from walls and stuff, but then someone came to their office, saw what the fuck they're doing and said that they should stop doing all this cuz Trico will be the only option to solve puzzles and progress through just about any obsticles / environment in the game.

I think Bluepoint needs to take their hands on this game and remake it for the PS5 on their engine, make Trico's AI smarter and scripts related to him work better, make more obvious what you need to do without showing and telling exactly what you need to do (it's not easy, but I'm sure they can think of something - visual cues, sounds etc.), fix goddamn camera, add Photo Mode etc. Not to mention that this game is an absolute nightmare for people with disabilities who can't play games like rest of the people can, so there also needs to be tons of accessibility options and QOL changes.

Fuckin' do it, Sony! Save this game from its original design hell, let more people play it and make it shine on your current console and maybe even PC. At this point I just can't see myself playing this game ever again (after I finish it) in a state that it is right now.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
A "Team Ico Trilogy" Remaster for PS5 and PC would be wonderful. A Beautiful physical edition would sell like hot cake.
This 1000%. I haven't played ICO and its remaster on the PS3 and only just started playing SOTC on the PS5 (but decided to play The Last Guardian first). SOTC looks incredible and mind-blowing even on the PS4, but I wouldn't mind native 4K 60 version with HDR support for the PS5 :)

Last edited:

Kupfer

No remake needed - just give me a 1440p/60 patch and I'll cry again in the end.
AI and design is perfect as it is. It feels and plays unique. Was I frustrated? Yes.
Did I jump over my own shadow, push through and get rewarded with one of the greatest gaming experiences that I still think about years later? Yes.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
No remake needed - just give me a 1440p/60 patch and I'll cry again in the end.
But... PS5 can handle 4K 60 and the game is already running at 4K on the PS5 - but if you 've disc version and won't patch it by connecting to the internet, it'll run at 4K 60.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I bought this game like 3 years ago because I was still hyped after finishing SoTC but then I never even bothered installing it. It was really strange, I've no idea why I did that.

I should play it at some point.

bender

What time is it?
My least favorite Team Ico game but I still enjoyed it despite its' faults. There is just something unique about the worlds Team Ico creates that is so distinctive and sorely missed now that they are no longer.

Kupfer

But... PS5 can handle 4K 60 and the game is already running at 4K on the PS5 - but if you 've disc version and won't patch it by connecting to the internet, it'll run at 4K 60.
Yes I have the disc version, but then I run the risk of falling victim to game breaking bugs.
But let me correct my statement; just give me a 4k/60 patch with all bug fixes

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The dog controlling like ass at first is the point. You get more and more used to handling him and he responds better over the course of the game. The whole thing is about your bond growing with him.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The dog controlling like ass at first is the point. You get more and more used to handling him and he responds better over the course of the game. The whole thing is about your bond growing with him.
I'm glad I picked that up too.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I think the idea behind the AI was to make it realistic for an animal......that's quite a thing to try and do.....I think Ueda pulled it off,the guy is a visionary.
Yeah, it's one of the most realistic animal behaviour I've ever seen in a video game. It's incredible what they've achieved. I'll obviously continue playing and the bond thing I understand as well, but it's still not perfect gameplay experience.

kyussman

Yeah, it's one of the most realistic animal behaviour I've ever seen in a video game. It's incredible what they've achieved. I'll obviously continue playing and the bond thing I understand as well, but it's still not perfect gameplay experience.
Yea,I have a high tolerance for clunky controls,lol.....Ueda's games are such a breath of fresh air though,can't wait to see what he's doing next.

I mean bare minimum they need to patch in the 60 fps officially again for PS5. You *can* play it in 60FPS today if you have the disc version and play it unpatched (I do and I did), but you also have to install the 30fps cap twice otherwise the game breaks in 2 parts, and then uninstall and reinstall the base disc version. Quite finnicky.

naguanatak

The camera is just pure bullshit, I'll give you that. The rest I was fine with. Trico is awesome, love the interactions and even the frustrating parts, I have a high tolerance for bullshit when I like a game... but again,the camera is awful.
All Team Ico games are in my top ten, they have their own distinct atmosphere. Fumito Ueda and his team are magicians (just not in the technical parts of their games)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Doesn't this game have BC issues on PS5?
Nope, there is none. I've seen nothing during my playthrough so far that could indicate the opposite plus performance is rock-solid and smooth as butter at 30FPS. Sony made it clear for everyone before PS5 was even released, that majority of PS4 games must work on the PS5 without BC issues.

Last edited:

Rykan

Nope, there is none. I've seen nothing during my playthrough so far that could indicate the opposite. Sony made it clear for everyone before PS5 was even released, that majority of PS4 games must work on the PS5 without BC issues.
That's good! I'm going to give it a try then. Yeah, most PS4 games work just fine on PS5, but there's some that have issues such as Shadow of the colossus.

Id rather wait for Team Ico's new game. Last Guardian wasnt perfect but as is, even on PS5 it was magical to play it for the second time if thats your type of game.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
but there's some that have issues such as Shadow of the colossus.
Really? What kind of issues? I haven't seen any, though I haven't played more than an hour so...

The game works perfect if you don't spam commands like a maniac.
There's no reason to do that really, where you need to go is almost always clear from what I've seen so far (except at the very beginning where you need to get out of the cave), it's just Trico's AI was far from perfect so far.

Id rather wait for Team Ico's new game.
Probably will get a revealed during Summer Game Fest. Can't wait to see what they've come up with for their next game.

Last edited:
There's no reason to do that really, where you need to go is almost always clear from what I've seen so far (except at the very beginning where you to get out of the cave).
Not because the waypoint is unclear, people spammed commands because Trico didnt react instantly. But If you think of it like a real pet, it did hear your command, it just takes time to get off its ass and move. So people were shitting on the gameplay when in fact it was their fault for spamming and literally reseting Trico's movements.

Aenima

No fix needed. The creature AI works exactly as i expected a non trained animal to react. Trico can get distracted with some stuff from time to time, and you need to call it to pay antention to you, it all made the creature feel real. True masterpiece.

I platinumed the game and one of the trophies is a speed run.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Not because the waypoint is unclear, people spammed commands because Trico didnt react instantly. But If you think of it like a real pet, it did hear your command, it just takes time to get off its ass and move. So people were shitting on the gameplay when in fact it was their fault for spamming and literally reseting Trico's movements.
So, the way I'm doing it: I see a ledge up high (for example), clearly this is where the game wants me to go and there's a ladder up there as well, so I command Trico to go there, he gets there and then just sitting or standing in place, rising he's head a bit and that's it. I recon that he should stand up on his back legs, grab the ledge and create and opportunity for me to get up there, just like he did a few times before... and it's just not happening. I've restarted the game a few times, died a few times thinking that maybe I missed something or some script failed to trigger, but nope. And then after almost 30 min of trying whatever, he finally did what he should've right from the start.

Gojiira

Trico AI ‘Dumb’ ‘stupid’…No lost me there mate. Trico is meant to be a young animal, the hook of the game is that you have to teach him and over time you both come to depend on each other. Honestly theres really no game like it, and everything about Trico was handled perfectly, he’s more ‘alive’ than any other creature in gaming, he plays, he ignores, he eats, he gets dirty, he gets scared, he gets boisterous etc etc, yeah nah OP he was perfect 😡

Bluepoint barely fixed SotC so they are no holy masters of controls either.

Haven't played Last Guardian yet, and all I expect is Papo&Yo level of quality.

Gojiira Gojiira
There is Black&White which definitely sounds like what you just described.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Trico AI ‘Dumb’ ‘stupid’…No lost me there mate. Trico is meant to be a young animal, the hook of the game is that you have to teach him and over time you both come to depend on each other. Honestly theres really no game like it, and everything about Trico was handled perfectly, he’s more ‘alive’ than any other creature in gaming, he plays, he ignores, he eats, he gets dirty, he gets scared, he gets boisterous etc etc, yeah nah OP he was perfect 😡
giphy.gif

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There are no design or ai flaws. The game is absolutely perfect. I never found it annoying. I was fascinated by its brilliant ai.
I would take 4k60 patch and that’s it. Blue point would ruin the art style

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I mean bare minimum they need to patch in the 60 fps officially again for PS5. You *can* play it in 60FPS today if you have the disc version and play it unpatched (I do and I did), but you also have to install the 30fps cap twice otherwise the game breaks in 2 parts, and then uninstall and reinstall the base disc version. Quite finnicky.

Not worth it. Patch adds hdr, better controls and removes annoying prompts.
It’s a fine game for 30fps until legit 60fps patch is released

BootsLoader

Banned
I did not play this game but I want to, not sure if I will wait for a patch or remake etc. To be honest, I think they should not remake that for now. There are games much better to remake now for Bluepoint. Maybe a PS7 or PS8 remake could work for them.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I did not play this game but I want to, not sure if I will wait for a patch or remake etc. To be honest, I think they should not remake that for now. There are games much better to remake now for Bluepoint. Maybe a PS7 or PS8 remake could work for them.
Remakes and GFX remasters work great when they don't have huge releases ready to be released, so there's no need for PS7/8, they just need to pick the right time and spot in the release schedule and they know exactly what'll be ready and when so it's not that hard.

BootsLoader

Banned
Remakes and GFX remasters work great when they don't have huge releases ready to be released, so there's no need for PS7/8, they just need to pick the right time and spot in the release schedule and they know exactly what'll be ready and when so it's not that hard.
Well, you could be correct. Who knows. I like the game and I am a huge fan of Shadow of the Colossus so...

It isn't, sadly. It was reported as fixed, but upon further investigation it turns out the issue is still there.
I played it yesterday and didn't have any issue with the textures, I'm at boss 7 currently and did the first 6 bosses in a row. I have it in the external HDD, no issues.

Last edited:

Hugare

His AI is like that by design

I've seen blood in your Trico in one of the screenshots. Clean his wounds, pet the big fella and you will bond more with him, so he will get more responsive as the game progresses.

He was meant to be like a "real" animal that doesnt act like you want all the time.

This game was amazing. It would look timeless at 4K/60.

PS4 era Sony had so many unique games

Last edited:
Top Bottom