• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation’s 3.50 system software update out tomorrow

It's a limitation of the current remote play stuff they do from ps4 to vita. Maybe eventually they'll update it to do 1080p.

I hope so. Both my PS4 and PC are connected to my router by cable so I was hoping 1080p 60fps should be easy. I guess it depends whether the separate chip for streaming/recording is up to the task of 1080p 60fps though.

Filter

Make the media centre app thing better. I can't even fast forward through most of my videos!

Remote play on Mac sounds good tho. Not that I'd use it.

TM94

You'd have to say it's quite fucking astonishing how it's only now we're getting basic features like appear offline and friend notifications.

FyreWulff

No Windows 7 support?
wtzgU.gif

Windows 7 is EOL

Sadly remote play is pretty basic, i suggest anyone to buy Twisted's Remote Play app, it's amazing and unless Sony does'nt want to, it will have a lot of way better features.

suedester

Banned
Sadly remote play is pretty basic, i suggest anyone to buy Twisted's Remote Play app, it's amazing and unless Sony does'nt want to, it will have a lot of way better features.

Probably worth waiting a few days. No doubt he will need to do a lot of fixing to get it working with 3.50.

MaKTaiL

There is also something really useful in this update that is not mentioned on the blog. You now get a preview of the message you recieve on the notification. So if someone sends you a short message you don't have to get out of the game to see it. Useful for those "Invite party" we all get from friends.

It can't be used like the single player version of SharePlay to let a friend who lives far away play a PS4 game, right? Or rather, they would need your password to sign in as you?

Ahh this may force me to update to Windows 10, I have been using remote play on my phone but the laptop screen will easily be much better than this.

What makes Twisted's app better? How's the lag on it?

Custom controller support, you can use any USB controller like the Xbox ones or even mouse & kb. That last one is still pretty rough but it has been developed quite nicely so far. This is how good it works when you manage to nail the settings

There's a free version of the app without the controller support if you want to try it too on his site.

ptuck874

for anybody who has used the remote play feature, can a wired xbox 360 controller be used instead of the ds4? just my laziness of pluggin in extra controller lol :)

What makes Twisted's app better? How's the lag on it?

It works on Windows 7. But don't hurry just yet, it's probably not a UWA if it also works with Windows 8. It may actually be compatible with Windows 7 too, Sony is just not saying it.

There must be a way to use the RemotePlay "app" on a Windows 7 PC, right?

If it's a Windows 8 Modern App or Windows 10 UWA app, there is no way to make it work on Windows 7. But it would be strange from Sony to make two apps when it could work on all three OS's (7, 8, 10) as Win32 software, so wait for this thing to actually come out.

Gator86

You'd have to say it's quite fucking astonishing how it's only now we're getting basic features like appear offline and friend notifications.

Absolutely. Sony's firmware/PSN teams continue to be Sony's weak link. Just stunning mediocrity all around.

On Demand

Banned
Can you pin games to the home screen? I remember somebody in the beta said they did so with live from playstation?

Absolutely. Sony's firmware/PSN teams continue to be Sony's weak link. Just stunning mediocrity all around.

Don't get me started this early....

It works on Windows 7. But don't hurry just yet, it's probably not a UWA if it also works with Windows 8. It may actually be compatible with Windows 7 too, Sony is just not saying it.

If it's a Windows 8 Modern App or Windows 10 UWA app, there is no way to make it work on Windows 7. But it would be strange from Sony to make two apps when it could work on all three OS's (7, 8, 10) as Win32 software, so wait for this thing to actually come out.
It only says Windows 8.1 and 10. Doesn't 8.1 have the Store too?

Daffy Duck

Was looking forwad to the remote play so I could play upstairs whilst the GF is on the TV.

Disappointing it's 720p only.

Kuldar

I wonder if the chips they use in the PS4 for the streaming is able to do 1080p.

Well at least it gives me a reason to update to Windows 10.

singhr1

And Windows 10 is spyware.

LOL this guy. Don't you think if MS wanted your info they could get it out of Windows 7 too? Like what makes you think Windows 7 is doing anything differently than 10

It only says Windows 8.1 and 10. Doesn't 8.1 have the Store too?

But the app compatibility is different. If you are building a UWA, that's only compatible with Windows 10. Modern apps, on the other hand, are compatible with both 8 and 10 but they are even more limited

Can a wired X1 controller work with remote play?

At the end of the console's short lifespan, no less!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Get what you want
Moan about how long it took to get what you want.
Add new 'must have feature'
Get what you want
Moan about how long it took to get what you want
Rinse and repeat
This way, you can always be unhappy.

Kyoufu

Custom controller support, you can use any USB controller like the Xbox ones or even mouse & kb. That last one is still pretty rough but it has been developed quite nicely so far. This is how good it works when you manage to nail the settings

There's a free version of the app without the controller support if you want to try it too on his site.

I tried the free version and it has the same amount of latency as the official Vita Remote Play app, sadly.

I wish PS4 Remote Play was as good as Steam's in-home streaming.

Well remote play at 720p is disappointing. I love how it works on my Windows 10 laptop for Xbox One, no lag and the quality is decent, plus it supports wireless controller. Come on Sony, you can do better than that.

Top Bottom