• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation’s 3.50 system software update out tomorrow

Planet

I'll be bringing a DS4 to work tomorrow...
This feature and appear offline can't be coincidence - imagine the embarresment when you meet your boss online on PSN, when you both are supposed to be hard at work in your office...

Windows 7 people. It's time to move on. Windows 10 is a fine operating system and it's fucking free.

Lol @ people disappointed in remote play not being 1080/60. That would require an incredible amount of bandwidth or an incredible amount of compression (nullifying the resolution increase). Not a chance in hell 99% of the user base will have the home network to do that and it will never happen over the Internet.

I'm dual booting Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Windows 10 is only used for gaming.

Windows 7 people. It's time to move on. Windows 10 is a fine operating system and it's fucking free.

Lol @ people disappointed in remote play not being 1080/60. That would require an incredible amount of bandwidth or an incredible amount of compression (nullifying the resolution increase). Not a chance in hell 99% of the user base will have the home network to do that and it will never happen over the Internet.

If the Pstv can do 1080p@30 then certainly my computer can handle 1080p @ 60. I want the option to try unless the PS4 straight up can't handle it.

Also where can I get the app to stream from my PC?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Shame about no 1080p for PC remote play. I should still make use of it though provided the quality isn't garbage.

No it's not. The PS4 uses AMD's VCE built into the GPU for live h264 encoding, just like AMD's PC GPUs do. 1080p at 60fps is supported. So it's not a limitation of the hardware inside the PS4.

Really?

I thought it was a peripheral chip that did the recording.

Or maybe the peripheral chip that only saves the recordings to flash memory/hard drive?

Interesting to know.

Planet

No it's not. The PS4 uses AMD's VCE built into the GPU for live h264 encoding, just like AMD's PC GPUs do. 1080p at 60fps is supported. So it's not a limitation of the hardware inside the PS4.
So encoding and transmitting video has no requirements on memory storage and bandwidth?

th3dude

Windows 7 is a 7-8 year old OS and Windows 10 is a free upgrade.

Seriously. No reason for the average consumer/gamer not to update.

Still not a good reason to not support Win 7 when majority of PC gamers are still on Win 7....

Sure it will be less in a year, but that's still a ton of users.

As mentioned. It's a free update and Windows 7 is like 8 years old. No excuse not to update. Want the latest features and compatibility? Upgrade.

Wait - this whole remote play thing is new to me. Let me know if I have this right: as long as I have my Macbook, a DS4, and have an internet connection, I can play my PS4?!?

Griss

We're 3 years in, we have rumours of the PS4's successor floating about and we're still getting features for the PS4 OS that were on PS3 and should have been included at launch. All this despite creaming $50 off their install base (now 40m+) for the last 3 years to provide 'better services'.

Sony's OS dev team is a fucking embarrassment.

kvn

Wait - this whole remote play thing is new to me. Let me know if I have this right: as long as I have my Macbook, a DS4, and have an internet connection, I can play my PS4?!?

Should be the case. Although we'll see tomorrow how that app and its functionality actually looks like.

MrGlass

Will try the remote play, hopefully it's not too laggy.

Moving my PS4 constantly is not an option, i keep it in my cabinet along with other stuff and unplugging stuff is not easy.

sonto340

This thread has taught me is that people are still on Windows 7 for some insane reason?
Ok.

Looking forward to playing my ps4 on my Windows Tablet on lunch at work.

MUnited83

For you.
No .exe only app from windows store

? It clearly says that you have to get the it from here (not the windows store)

This thread has taught me is that people are still on Windows 7 for some insane reason?
Ok.

Looking forward to playing my ps4 on my Windows Tablet on lunch at work.
Insane reason? Like Windows 10 breaking shit, being buggy and being a mess with drivers? The Windows 10 that takes my ability of controlling my updates?
Yeah, that shit can stay where it is. Used it for a week and it was a complete mess.

It's time to move on people. Sony and MS aren't worried about people on Win7.

Actually MS is worried about Win7 users, they want you on 10 yesterday.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Remote play might finally get me to upgrade to Win 10. No real reason not to, just didn't need to before this. Although, maxing out at 720p, maybe I continue to wait a bit and see if they can upgrade the spec to 1080p.

sonto340

? It clearly says that you have to get the it from here (not the windows store)

Insane reason? Like Windows 10 breaking shit, being buggy and being a mess with drivers? The Windows 10 that takes my ability of controlling my updates?
Yeah, that shit can stay where it is. Used it for a week and it was a complete mess.
Idk my computers been fine. It was all on fire right after the update, but when I did a restart it was all a-ok.
Define controlling your updates? I don't even know what that would entail?

Top Bottom