• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation’s 3.50 system software update out tomorrow

Read the OP and skimmed part of the thread, but didn't see this answered:

What's the file size? Or is it known?

I always ask this, because my Internet sucks.

Still not a good reason to not support Win 7 when majority of PC gamers are still on Win 7....

Sure it will be less in a year, but that's still a ton of users.

What are you going to do now DX12 games are starting to come out like Rise of the Tomb Raider and Quantum Break?

Moan that Microsoft should make games for DX11 so people on Windows 7 can play?

ctrl + f "psn id change"

0 results

Some day

They go on about how they can't do that since it'd be a huge change to the PSN infrastructure. Presumably they've used the PSN ID as a Primary key in their databases, or something silly like that.

I've always thought a good work-around would be, say, instead of letting you change your PSN ID, allow players to give that PSN ID a nickname.

For example, my PSN ID Pankratous could have the nickname BigHairyWalloper.
On any online game, all other players would see me as BigHairyWallopr, but my root PSN ID would still be Pankratous.

carda114

What exactly difficult about picking up a system and plugging in 2 wires?

Every now and then? Not difficult. All the time when you have a family that all have demands on when to use the TV? Massive pain in the ass. And you wear your connectors out that way too.

cakely

Windows 7 people. It's time to move on. Windows 10 is a fine operating system and it's fucking free.

No, thanks. There are still too many issues with Windows 10 and software that I use frequently. "Free" is not reason enough for me to go from a perfectly functional PC to something that won't be.

I'll give it another look when Service Pack 1 is released.

Windows 7 people.

I'm gonna go back to 7 soon on my laptop.

8.1 wouldn't allow it to go to sleep, plus it was crap. 10 runs runs like garbage every few days for reasons I can't seem to fix and it's a common enough issue that it's so hit or miss depending on your set up.

Shame really because I was looking forward to using RP on my laptop instead of Vita.

MUnited83

For you.
Idk my computers been fine. It was all on fire right after the update, but when I did a restart it was all a-ok.
Define controlling your updates? I don't even know what that would entail?

Windows 10 takes away the ability of controlling your updates. The only version that allows to do so for real is the enterprise edition,

Tiolazo

Too bad about the wired thing. My macbook pro can native recognize DS3/DS4 via Bluetooth, i've using a lot with emulators and never got any problem.

For me 720p its ok, since my MBP is 1280x800

breakfuss

I'm glad it works for so many people, but it's pretty sketchy on Vita and Vita TV for me. Hopefully this new iteration provides a better experience. My internet is irrelevant as I always do it at home.

When shareplay works, it *works* well. But it's a toss up for me when inviting people. My speed is fine.

IvanJ

Banned
Oh well, good that the update is coming, but I was kinda hoping for more features than these already announced last month.
As is, absolutely zero features I care about, so nothing to get excited about.

I was excited for PC remote play, hoped I'll be able to play from work, but it's a no go because it's a Win7 computer.

Now I am at the point where I'll be delighted if the update doesn't brick my console.

What are you going to do now DX12 games are starting to come out like Rise of the Tomb Raider and Quantum Break?

Moan that Microsoft should make games for DX11 so people on Windows 7 can play?

It's not like I need DX12 to get video streaming in Windows to work.

Is DX12 even on Win8? So how does that argument even make sense.

If they can make it work on Android and Vita why not Win7?

Also why would I upgrade to Windows 10 to play Quantum Break and ROTR?

I'm not upgrading my OS for the "privilege" of entering the walled garden of a mess than is UWA so far.

QB doesn't even run well on a 980 ti at least from that preview that was posted... that I don't even have anyway (that GPU I mean).

"What will I do without UWA and Quantum Break." Use my PC for all the other things I've already been using it for.

Everything that's new is better until it's not.

Kyoufu

Thanks, didn't realize it was a permanent free upgrade. (as in not a trial). Still, scared to jump to that OS... my wife has it on her new laptop and I'm not a fan.

It's not all that different from Windows 7. As in, it's not a gigantic piece of shit like 8 was.

khaaan

Dumb question, but can someone clarify what is meant by "bandwidth" in regards to remote play? Is using remote play when the PC and PS4 are on the same network going to use up my data?

th3dude

Insane reason? Like Windows 10 breaking shit, being buggy and being a mess with drivers? The Windows 10 that takes my ability of controlling my updates?
Yeah, that shit can stay where it is. Used it for a week and it was a complete mess.

A buggy mess? Hardly. At release there were some issues. Those issues aren't really there anymore. The world is moving on to Win10. As I've already mentioned, if you want the latest features, compatibility, and patches: upgrade. If you want to stay on old software, go ahead, but don't complain when things don't work and you passed on a free upgrade.

Dumb question, but can someone clarify what is meant by "bandwidth" in regards to remote play? Is using remote play when the PC and PS4 are on the same network going to use up my data?

I assume by 'data' you mean your ISP's data caps?

No, playing in your own house should not use any 'data' in that sense. Bandwidth in that particular case means the throughput of your hardware and type of connections you have (i.e. are you using a wired connection or wireless?).

The appear offline and notification options are needed, and the remote play PC feature which I had forgotten about will also come in handy. Sounds good.

Not your internet data. Just how much bandwidth on the connection from your PS4 --> Router --> PC. No internet used.

But the connection has to be strong enough/high bandwidth enough to maintain quality/framerate without becoming splodgey and blocky.

Not sure if they said you can direct connect from PS4 to PC, that would be cool though (my PS4 is right next to my desktop lol).

DieH@rd

Banned
For those asking 1080p RP, PS4 never supported that.

PS4 launched with 720p30 DVR support [game DVR, remote play and streaming], and later this was updated to 720p60 [which slashed lag a bunch, even for 30fps games]. Video record lenght was always limmited to 15mins.

I guess they don't want to give more resources to this background task. I expect upgrade of this feature only when PS4K arrives.

Roussow

Question about remote play on PC, can you connect the PS4 to the PC over ethernet? Or does it have to be wifi? I've used it a bunch of times on my Vita, but my connection isn't quite good enough to sustain a decent playing experience.

Still blows my mind how many people don't know about Remote Play, lol

Well I knew about it for the Vita. And I've done Shareplay with my bro. I guess I'm just surprised about it being opened up to non-Sony devices - and I'll be curious about the performance.

the problem with it being a windows store app is that some of us that use Windows 10 don't want to sign up for an MS account and enable all that in our OS. we prefer to have things work "offline" like with Windows 7.

so i guess i won't be remote playing from my PC's. :(

MUnited83

For you.
A buggy mess? Hardly. At release there were some issues. Those issues aren't really there anymore. The world is moving on to Win10. As I've already mentioned, if you want the latest features, compatibility, and patches: upgrade. If you want to stay on old software, go ahead, but don't complain when things don't work and you passed on a free upgrade.

Things didn't work when I upgraded. They sure worked before, so....

Also, they are not getting me back to Win10 for a while. How take out your control of the updates and then proceed to introduce new bugs with those forced updates... yeah no thanks

I hope they fixed the network speed issue, because when I was in the beta I got locked at like 3mbps down. Couldn't figure out what was wrong until I went back to the official firmware and went back up to 70mbps.

khaaan

I assume by 'data' you mean your ISP's data caps?

No, playing in your own house should not use any 'data' in that sense. Bandwidth in that particular case means the throughput of your hardware and type of connections you have (i.e. are you using a wired connection or wireless?).

Not your internet data. Just how much bandwidth on the connection from your PS4 --> Router --> PC. No internet used.

But the connection has to be strong enough/high bandwidth enough to maintain quality/framerate without becoming splodgey and blocky.

Not sure if they said you can direct connect from PS4 to PC, that would be cool though (my PS4 is right next to my desktop lol).

Cool, thanks!
I should be able to get a decent connection going since both PC and PS4 are on Ethernet and my router (Nighthawk AC1900) received a lot of recommendations when I was in the market.

Top Bottom