• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation’s 3.50 system software update out tomorrow

Stike

Yeah at first I thought it wasn't that bad.

Then I bought a steam link and I realized how shitty is remote play.

Way to judge the quality of a product from trying a different product...

Remote Play on Vita at 60fps is pretty awesome in my opinion, and I am looking forward to finally using it with a proper controller.

Kyoufu

Remote Play on Vita at 60fps is pretty awesome in my opinion, and I am looking forward to finally using it with a proper controller.

Remote Play is only acceptable for turn-based RPGs. Anything involving any kind of real-time input is let down by the latency.

I don't have that problem with Steam's in-home streaming feature which makes me sad about PS4's RP feature. Very sad.

Nesther

Remote Play is only acceptable for turn-based RPGs. Anything involving any kind of real-time input is let down by the latency.

I don't have that problem with Steam's in-home streaming feature which makes me sad about PS4's RP feature. Very sad.

The only handicap I had using remoteplay to NG+ Bloodborne was the lack of complete shoulder buttons on Vita. RP is absolutely acceptable.

Play Together

This feature allows all members of a Party to see what each person is playing so that you can easily join a friend’s game, or start a new game together.

I thought this was already a thing. Doesn't it have an icon next to everybody's name with the title of what they're playing next to it?

Yeah at first I thought it wasn't that bad.

Then I bought a steam link and I realized how shitty is remote play.

Sony remote play is the only one that allows you to connect to your system away from your home network. Steam doesnt have it, Xbox doesnt have it. It's one of the greatest next gen features and most people either dont know about it or downplay it.

Cannot wait for tomorrows update!

There's input lag with remote play right. I never RP before but want to mess with it. I asked cause I wanna try Mortal Kombat to see if playing on may monitor instead of my tv will yield better input results or if the rp lag cancels it out.

There's input lag with remote play right. I never RP before but want to mess with it. I asked cause I wanna try Mortal Kombat to see if there's input lag.

there's noticeable lag. i wouldn't think of playing a fighting game, twitch shooter, or online competitive game with remote play. i usually do grindy type things and side missions in sp games

MrBenchmark

Sony remote play is the only one that allows you to connect to your system away from your home network. Steam doesnt have it, Xbox doesnt have it. It's one of the greatest next gen features and most people either dont know about it or downplay it.

some of us want this in house not on the go like while my wife watches TV. And it fails miserably at this.

Holy crap! I honestly didn't know that they were working on PS4 Remote play to PC! This has been one of my favorite features with the XBOX One since Windows 10 released. I really hope it's comparable/better than the XBOX One RP, I have very little to complain about with that setup.

Glix

There are no more excuses Sony.

If this doesn't work like a DREAM with both devices wired into the same network I will be pissed as hell.

I've accepted that PSTV is not up to the job. I've accepted that flaws in wifi tech and with lazy pubs not making custom control schemes, vita remote play will never be perfect.

this better be fucking perfect.

MCasey

I have to travel for a few days - will I be able to take my MacBook with me and connect to the PS4 for Remote Play?

slash3584

I mean i'm comparing the streaming capabilities of both devices, and from my experience the steam link does a much better job.

Yeah don't get me wrong, in some aspects it's great. But I haven't been able to play fast paced games like Destiny or Rocket League because of the noticeable input lag.

It works for some games but not for others, I really hope now that it's wired I'll get a much better experience.

DieH@rd

Banned
I have to travel for a few days - will I be able to take my MacBook with me and connect to the PS4 for Remote Play?

Yes. Only test it out before you go to see if your home router is making any issues. :) You will need at least few mbits of upload at home, 8-9 if you use 720p60. If you have trouble connecting, reduce quality to absolute minimum and try few times. Using PS4 with LAN cable is highly preferable.

If all works fine [it should], you can play your PS4 from other side of the world [we have such reports, it works fine for non-twitchy turn based games].

DieH@rd

Banned
Thanks! i think I get 15mbps-down and 2mbps-up.
Kinda crappy but would that allow me to stream in 720p/60fps?

2mbps up is not enough for 720p60, not even close. According to some reports, 5-6mbit is needed for solid 720p30.

As for home streaming, the best PS4>PC [or VitaTV] streaming will happen if both are connected to home router via LAN cables.

ElCidTmax

Looking forward to checking out the remote play for PC. It'll be nice to play PS4 games on a laptop, or (hopefully) in a window or fullscreen on my desktop.

Nice that my PSTV still has a reason to exist, as your can use your DS4 wirelessly.

MCasey

Yes. Only test it out before you go to see if your home router is making any issues. :) You will need at least few mbits of upload at home, 8-9 if you use 720p60. If you have trouble connecting, reduce quality to absolute minimum and try few times. Using PS4 with LAN cable is highly preferable.

If all works fine [it should], you can play your PS4 from other side of the world [we have such reports, it works fine for non-twitchy turn based games].

Wow - being able to travel and not having to bring my PS4 would be awesome.
I guess I should increase my internet speed though.
How does it handle disc based games - you need to have the game you want to play loaded in the PS4?
Or is it only digital purchases?

anddo0

Thanks! i think I get 15mbps-down and 2mbps-up.
Kinda crappy but would that allow me to stream in 720p/60fps?

Doubtful.

more like 540p (360p depending on interference) and 30fps

I use remote play on my Vita, phone and tablet. I find that 540p/30FPS produce the smoothest gameplay; and this is on 60mbps down and 30mbps up.

MrBenchmark

Maybe your tv settings?

Nope. Vizio P55 with 18.5ms input lag and a sharp aquos 1080P with 10ms input lag even hooked to my PC monitor that is 1ms same BS Lag. I'm not the only person there are huge sony support threads abou.t it remote play is laggy.

Sorry but Local remote play is a fail compared to doing it on Xbox. Just a fact

I really really want it to work as i use this alot on Xbox and its why i wasted my money on two PSTV's paid full price at launch!

slash3584

Wow - being able to travel and not having to bring my PS4 would be awesome.
I guess I should increase my internet speed though.
How does it handle disc based games - you need to have the game you want to play loaded in the PS4?
Or is it only digital purchases?

Yeah in this case you'll have to leave the disc on the drive, but all digital games will be available anytime.

Awesome - I am eagerly awaiting remote play onto my 15" Retina MBP. I'm bummed it's not 1080p/60fps but 720p/60fps on my retina display is fine by me.

Jingo

Nope. Vizio P55 with 18.5ms input lag and a sharp aquos 1080P with 10ms input lag even hooked to my PC monitor that is 1ms same BS Lag. I'm not the only person there are huge sony support threads abou.t it remote play is laggy.

Sorry but Local remote play is a fail compared to doing it on Xbox. Just a fact

I really really want it to work as i use this alot on Xbox and its why i wasted my money on two PSTV's paid full price at launch!

Yup xbox one its better, but i play fine on ps tv and vita, of course you te not goingg to play a multiplayer game or you will feel the diference, but for single player games i feel almost no lag, people have diferent responses to lag too, maybe it just dont bother me as much.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit, I wonder if I can use my friend's PS4 on PC.

Pastry

Banned
Super stoked that I'll be able to remote play on the couch while my girlfriend is watching tv even if it's only 720.

720p remote play? Is this some kind of joke?
Well, better then nothing.
This is what you're going to complain about? Here I thought it was just pretty amazing you could stream a game while your PS4 was in a completely different place. It's a bit like landing a man on the moon and then complaining that the footage they send back was in black and white.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
This is what you're going to complain about? Here I thought it was just pretty amazing you could stream a game while your PS4 was in a completely different place. It's a bit like landing a man on the moon and then complaining that the footage they send back was in black and white.

YSUJSBgL-Pk3.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

See this tiny thing that fits into the palm of your hand? It lets you stream PC games at 1080p

n0razi

What specs does the computer need to be to stream? Can my atom tablet cut it?

YSUJSBgL-Pk3.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

See this tiny thing that fits into the palm of your hand? It lets you stream PC games at 1080p

thats irrelevant if i want to play PS4 games... same thing with the crappy Nintendo Wii U specs... its irrelevant if I want to play Nintendo 1st party games

Top Bottom