• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation’s 3.50 system software update out tomorrow

Planet

After hearing all the praise about the wonderously great Xbox One streaming I decided to do some research. Digital Foundry wasn't really happy with it when they checked.
This [connection problems described before], coupled with the highly inconsistent performance, leads to a very uneven experience. Compared to Steam in-home streaming, the results here are clearly disappointing. - even Sony's Remote Play feature and PS Now offer more consistent results. It works but it just doesn't work as well as we'd like. Input response is generally fast, which is very important, but the frame-rate just isn't where it needs to be. 60fps titles regularly dip under the desired level of performance while 30fps games exhibit frame pacing issues during streaming. In all cases, we were never able to achieve a stable, consistent experience for any length of time.
Looks like the Xbox simply uses the PC approach to take some resources away from the game when streaming. This gives you more flexibility like offering 1080p, but the quality ultimativly suffers. The games were not made with that in mind.

Sony has a completely different solution: they set aside enough memory bandwith and storage to record 720p 30 FPS without any tax on the games. Later they improved it to 60 FPS for streaming only, no recording - and I guess the bitrate is also not changed by much, probably just raised closer to the limit set beforehand. But you can't simply make it 1080p without changing something in the hardware. This could really be an opportunity for a PS4K, offer 1080p60 streaming and recording in the same way the original console does in 720p30.

Many other publications were much less critical. They probably didn't analyze impact on framerate at all and many people are not very sensible to that anyway. So it might be just fine for most. Maybe Microsoft managed to improve the experience, I don't know. But I am convinced there is at least a measurable difference in performance when streaming, while the Sony approach makes the games run exactly the same on the directly attached TV frame by frame. It is basically just a design choice.

One last word: Digital Foundry never revisited PS4 Remote Play after it was raised to 60 FPS with much lower latency and much higher consistency. The original review wasn't very favourable and I share that view on the original experience. But Firmware 2.5 made Remote Play absolutely fantastic in 60 FPS IMHO, you simply must enable the high frame rate option, even on 30 FPS games, it is a game changer. If Digital Foundry never tried it, it would explain their "even Sony's Remote Play..." sentence.

After hearing all the praise about the wonderously great Xbox One streaming I decided to do some research. Digital Foundry wasn't really happy with it when they checked.

Looks like the Xbox simply uses the PC approach to take some resources away from the game when streaming. This gives you more flexibility like offering 1080p, but the quality ultimativly suffers. The games were not made with that in mind.

Sony has a completely different solution: they set aside enough memory bandwith and storage to record 720p 30 FPS without any tax on the games. Later they improved it to 60 FPS for streaming only, no recording - and I guess the bitrate is also not changed by much, probably just raised closer to the limit set beforehand. But you can't simply make it 1080p without changing something in the hardware. This could really be an opportunity for a PS4K, offer 1080p60 streaming and recording in the same way the original console does in 720p30.

Many other publications were much less critical. They probably didn't analyze impact on framerate at all and many people are not very sensible to that anyway. So it might be just fine for most. Maybe Microsoft managed to improve the experience, I don't know. But I am convinced there is at least a measurable difference in performance when streaming, while the Sony approach makes the games run exactly the same on the directly attached TV frame by frame. It is basically just a design choice.

One last word: Digital Foundry never revisited PS4 Remote Play after it was raised to 60 FPS with much lower latency and much higher consistency. The original review wasn't very favourable and I share that view on the original experience. But Firmware 2.5 made Remote Play absolutely fantastic in 60 FPS IMHO, you simply must enable the high frame rate option, even on 30 FPS games, it is a game changer. If Digital Foundry never tried it, it would explain their "even Sony's Remote Play..." sentence.
They don't take any resources away from the games, the games themselves still run the same on the actual console. The streamer just can't keep up sometimes.
Generally the experience is good enough and the image quality is much better than PS4 streaming.

Well I think I will have 2 PS Vitas up for sale by the end of the week... finally being able to stream games and use a DS4 on my Surface 3 will be epic. The Vita had dated wifi and the sticks never felt good for remote play not to mention the lack of triggers.

They are prolly worthless now for resale though I bet =/

Jaroof

You can also share party chat audio now.

Might wanna add that to the OP. It was big news for me, and I'm sure it will be for others. For some reason, they don't include it in the features list.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks

Might wanna add that to the OP. It was big news for me, and I'm sure it will be for others. For some reason, they don't include it in the features list.
OH? Where would you find this new setting? This is also huge for me.

ExcelTronic

Yep, the Remote Play web page is up.

System Requirements

Windows

• A computer with either of the following operating systems.
• Windows® 8.1 (32-bit or 64-bit)
• Windows® 10 (32-bit or 64-bit)
• Intel Core i5-560M Processor 2.67 GHz or faster
• 100 MB or more of available storage
• 2 GB or more of RAM
• 1024 x 768 or higher display resolution
• Sound card
• USB port

Mac

• A computer with either of the following operating systems.
• OS X Yosemite
• OS X El Capitan
• Intel Core i5-520M Processor 2.40 GHz or faster
• 40 MB or more of available storage
• 2 GB or more of RAM
• USB port

System Requirements

Windows

• 2 GB or more of RAM
• Sound card
• USB port

Mac

• OS X Yosemite
• OS X El Capitan
• 2 GB or more of RAM
• USB port

Guess my 2014 MBP just about gets in!

foxbeldin

EV6UHxb.png

There goes any chance i had to use it from work.

MrBenchmark

System Requirements

Windows

• 2 GB or more of RAM
• Sound card
• USB port

Mac

• OS X Yosemite
• OS X El Capitan
• 2 GB or more of RAM
• USB port

Seeing this as requirements is kinda pissing me off even more. I remote play on my Asus t100taf tablet with my Xbox one all the time with zero issues and according to this Sony's remote play may not work. I'm honestly getting tired of their incompetence.

Oppo

Seeing this as requirements is kinda pissing me off even more. I remote play on my Asus t100taf tablet with my Xbox one all the time with zero issues and according to this Sony's remote play may not work. I'm honestly getting tired of their incompetence.

is that axe not sharp yet?? geez dude. we get it. I don't believe your last sentence at all because you keep posting.

MrBenchmark

is that axe not sharp yet?? geez dude. we get it. I don't believe your last sentence at all because you keep posting.
You obviously don't understand the god damn frustration that remote play has been to me on PlayStation. But god forbid I have a legitimate gripe about Sony products I've spent money on.

I just want to play remotely like I can with my according to GAF inferior Xbox one. I can only hope when I try it , it works because it's again useless if I have to sit at my main PC to use.

I post here and get chastised post with others in Sony support forums and get ignored by Sony. If this shoe was on the other foot that foot being Xbox I'm sure then my gripe would be valid right.

Codiox

What does share party chat audio mean?

G_Berry

Banned
You obviously don't understand the god damn frustration that remote play has been to me on PlayStation. But god forbid I have a legitimate gripe about Sony products I've spent money on.

I just want to play remotely like I can with my according to GAF inferior Xbox one. I can only hope when I try it , it works because it's again useless if I have to sit at my main PC to use.

I post here and get chastised post with others in Sony support forums and get ignored by Sony. If this shoe was on the other foot that foot being Xbox I'm sure then my gripe would be valid right.
I hear you man, you're not alone!

There's plenty of other forums where you can raise these issues without being chastised too. I learned that a long time ago ;)

MrBenchmark

Well the app installed on my Asus T100TAF tablet so once i have the update we shall see until then i'm putting my crabby old ass to bed.

Small thing I noticed prior to the latest PS4 firmware update is the latest twitch PS4 app update now allows me to watch twitch streams while remote connected to the PS4 threw my Vita.

Installed it on OSX, wouldn't find it automatically, tried to register it manually and it errored out.

They must have changed some stuff in new firmware for remote play.

Oppo

sorry. I get that you are frustrated. you were just very vocal on the last few pages.

Planet

Virtually any computer built in the last 10 years I'd imagine.
Ever heard of a thing called Atom processor?

@Nerfgun: the processor requirement really is something frustrating. It basically rules out tablets completely, while they can with Android and the Vita also doesn't have a Core i5... it's like Sony thought "fuck hardware accellerated decoding, we are doing it all in software!".

MrBenchmark

sorry. I get that you are frustrated. you were just very vocal on the last few pages.
Yeah I got rolling it bites my ass I bought two PSTV new at $130 a pop and their paperweights so I hope this works out. It's 3am here and I'm in need of rest obviously.

MrBenchmark

@Nerfgun: the processor requirement really is something frustrating. It basically rules out tablets completely, while they can with Android and the Vita also doesn't have a Core i5... it's like Sony thought "fuck hardware accellerated decoding, we are doing it all in software!".
The app did Install on my Asus tablet that has a baytrail atom and meets the other specs so we shall see once the PS4 get the update I guess.

I wouldn't trust that minimum requirement blindly.
Wait for people to actually try it out

It could just mean they're not officially giving support for older systems

I had a 1.3GHz Atom and it played back 1080p video fine. This is only 720p...

Planet

I sure am keeping my PS TV (which I got below €50), it probably still is the best solution, considering the requirements. Hint: disable HDCP on PS4 when remote playing, don't ask why, just do it.

MrBenchmark

I sure am keeping my PS TV (which I got below €50), it probably still is the best solution, considering the requirements. Hint: disable HDCP on PS4 when remote playing, don't ask why, just do it.
What does disabling that do? I'll try that later today just curious what that could do.

Planet

There is no stuttering problem I know of. But HDCP seems to add latency somehow with PS TV and a wired connection. Someone somewhere wrote the latency is not there when the TV also is on and set to display the PS4, but that contradicts the purpose of remote play.

Sony must have screwed up something there, who would have expected that... ;)

HDCP murdered my remote play until I turned it off, who knows if it's been fixed since cus that crap stays turned off now for good >_<

Top Bottom