• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

Despera

Banned
MMaRsu said:
How so? Is there not going to be a 3.56 CFW? I doubt that!
There will most definitely be a 3.56 CFW, but only if you upgrade from FW 3.55 and below.

Mathieulh says that 3.56 blocked the execution of some shit that's needed.

Speevy said:

For the time being, you'd be stupid to update to OFW if you want homebrew. All devs are warning people about this.

I had let my brother borrow a 60GB launch PS3 that I'll take back to my new hometown with me. I've got a question, tohugh. I'm on 3.15 OS and I'm wondering if I should wait for anything to happen on this or update to 3.55?

Despera said:
There will most definitely be a 3.56 CFW, but only if you upgrade from FW 3.55 and below.

Mathieulh says that 3.56 blocked the execution of some shit that's needed.
What happened to the master key and such? Was it overstated?

MMaRsu said:
How so? Is there not going to be a 3.56 CFW? I doubt that!

There will be 3.56 CFW but you probably will only be able to install it on top of 3.55 CFW. OFW 3.56 will most likely not let you do that.

call me crazy but other than pirating games this homebrew stuff simply isn't that useful.

And I do mean that in the "every game you guys are playing on the emulators is illegal" way.

Emitan

SonOfABeep said:
call me crazy but other than pirating games this homebrew stuff simply isn't that useful.

And I do mean that in the "every game you guys are playing on the emulators is illegal" way.
How long as homebrew on the PS3 been available? Applications don't write themselves overnight.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
SonOfABeep said:

The scene is young. You cannot expect a diverse homebrew scene to develop overnight.

And besides, I think you trolling here. There are other threads on GAF to discuss the merits or legality of homebrew.

You also can't quickly port PC software to a PS3 from what I know.

Unlike the Xbox; which quickly had XBMC.. the best "homebrew" software ever created.

(correct me if I'm wrong)

Billychu said:
How long as homebrew on the PS3 been available? Applications don't write themselves overnight.

I'm just not seeing the possibilities, personally.

Not looking to buy a new hard drive just to avoid pulling out a disc once in a while. Not streaming loads of media over my network. Don't have a BC PS3 and don't care about region locking.

Certianly there are possibilities but just personally I don't see anything great coming like there was for PSP with reduced load times and improved framerates with the 333mHZ hack.

Dani said:
The scene is young. You cannot expect a diverse homebrew scene to develop overnight.

And besides, I think you trolling here. There are other threads on GAF to discuss the merits or legality of homebrew.

Nah I'm not trolling. I didn't say if you should be doing it or not. I don't care.

But you can't dispute the legality of it unless it's something that has to do with what governmental body you are under. That's pretty black and white.

test_account

XP-39C²
If someone release the NPDRM keys, would this change anything regarding the possibility to run homebrew on PS3 firmware 3.56 (and beyond)?

Billychu said:
About 6-7 months i think (since the PSJailbreak came out). How does the PS3 homebrew progress compared to i.e the PSP homebrew progress 6-7 months after the PSP was hacked?

Melhisedek said:
Is there some IRC chan where I can follow scene development?
#ps3dev over at EFnet i think. Although not IRC, much updates and news are posted over at www.psx-scene.com as well.

Shaneus

Anyone had problems with DS3s after upgrading their CFW? Ever since I upgraded my fat to 3.55CFW, the controller I used to boot/flash with now doesn't work with my consoles unless it's plugged in. It will power them on wirelessly without an issue but the LEDs just endlessly blink before giving up :(

test_account

XP-39C²
Shaneus said:
Anyone had problems with DS3s after upgrading their CFW? Ever since I upgraded my fat to 3.55CFW, the controller I used to boot/flash with now doesn't work with my consoles unless it's plugged in. It will power them on wirelessly without an issue but the LEDs just endlessly blink before giving up :(
Did you try to hit that reset button on the back of the controller?

SonOfABeep said:

Get that crap out of here. You have been on GAF long enough to know the policy of accusing people of piracy. Take it somewhere else.

Shaneus

test_account said:
Did you try to hit that reset button on the back of the controller?
Yes, several times :(
The only thing I can think of doing next is to rip the thing apart and disconnect the battery completely. Failing that, I could probably frankenstein something together with a working sixaxis.

test_account

XP-39C²
Shaneus said:
Yes, several times :(
The only thing I can think of doing next is to rip the thing apart and disconnect the battery completely. Failing that, I could probably frankenstein something together with a working sixaxis.
Ok, then i dont know what the problem can be :(

By the way, have you opened a PS3 controller before? If not, then i would not really recommend it. I tried to open one of my older Sixaxis controllers and it took me like 45 minutes to put it back together lol. There are some smaller pieces around the shoulder buttons that can easily slide out of their positions when you try to put the controller back together.

Maybe the DS3 controller is designed a bit differently than a Sixaxis controller though, and maybe you are much better to put the controller back together than what i was, but i just wanted to mention this anyway :)

linkboy

test_account said:
Ok, then i dont know what the problem can be :(

By the way, have you opened a PS3 controller before? If not, then i would not really recommend it. I tried to open one of my older Sixaxis controllers and it took me like 45 minutes to put it back together lol. There are some smaller pieces around the shoulder buttons that can easily slide out of their positions when you try to put the controller back together.

Maybe the DS3 controller is designed a bit differently than a Sixaxis controller though, and maybe you are much better to put the controller back together than what i was, but i just wanted to mention this anyway :)

They're not, the DS3 is just as much of a PITA as the SIXAXIS is. I don't recommend taking them apart at all.

test_account

XP-39C²
linkboy said:
They're not, the DS3 is just as much of a PITA as the SIXAXIS is. I don't recommend taking them apart at all.
Ah ok, i see, thanks for the info :)

I can also mention that i managed to break the controller hehe :\ The controller worked to begin with after i had put it back together, but when i tried it again some weeks later, it was dead (the analog sticks was pretty worn out though, so it wasnt really that big of a deal, but still).

test_account

XP-39C²
BoboBrazil said:
Wouldn't it be possible to edit the 3.55 cfw to respond to Sony servers as 3.56?
Technically, i think that it is possible. PSN checks the PS3 firmware when it connects, so if someone can find out every checks that PSN does and then spoof these checks so that PSN thinks the PS3 is on 3.56, then it will probably work. But if this is an easy or hard task to do is another question :)

Shaneus

Thanks for the tips, guys. Guess I'll have to try running out the battery or something, see if that helps (if that's even possible given it only works when connecting to USB). Hm... unless there's a problem with the battery? Off to the Internet to investigate!

Edit: More I think about it, more I think it's a battery prob. I suspect it has come from GT5 sessions where I didn't set the controller to power off after 10mins idle... if it's that particular DS3. I'll replace the battery with the one from my still-working sixaxis and see how we go.

Despera

Banned
BoboBrazil said:
Wouldn't it be possible to edit the 3.55 cfw to respond to Sony servers as 3.56?
What devs are trying to do right now is force 3.56 to accept old keys, so existing homebrew apps can stay functional once 3.56 cfw is out..

plasmasd

Maddog said:
And how do I got about splitting files that are bigger than 4gb?

look for a program called split4g.

Any 2.5" drive can fit in a PS3. Even the larger ones. you just can't put it in the cradle. (Shim it with an old credit card)

You can also run an external 3.5 drive up to 1tb if you extend the SATA connections.

Maddog

plasmasd said:

Any 2.5" drive can fit in a PS3. Even the larger ones. you just can't put it in the cradle. (Shim it with an old credit card)

You can also run an external 3.5 drive up to 1tb if you extend the SATA connections.

Awesome. Thanks for the help guys.

Rhindle

Despera said:
What devs are trying to do right now is force 3.56 to accept old keys, so existing homebrew apps can stay functional once 3.56 cfw is out..
Homebrew apps under CFW 3.55 weren't signed. A CFW 3.56 would need to be based on OFW 3.56, eliminating the signature checks, and add the pkg loading functions. That probably will be feasible. Getting backup managers running again will be much more difficult. The old patches (which were carried over from the 3.41 JB) no longer work.

PSGames said:
Can't you use the USB dongle to downgrade even if on 3.56?
Nope.

fallagin

So there is literally no way around this if you have already installed 3.56? I'm trying to manipulate soul tendency in demon souls anyway, so I guess it wont be so bad to wait out a cfw.

linkboy

plasmasd said:

So this drive would work in a 20GB PS3, just without the cradle.

That would be awesome.

PSGames

Rhindle said:
Homebrew apps under CFW 3.55 weren't signed. A CFW 3.56 would need to be based on OFW 3.56, eliminating the signature checks, and add the pkg loading functions. That probably will be feasible. Getting backup managers running again will be much more difficult. The old patches (which were carried over from the 3.41 JB) no longer work.

Nope.

Well it looks like they pretty much eliminated the threat and if so what's the point of them going after geohot? seems like a waste of time.

Rhindle

PSGames said:
Well it looks like they pretty much eliminated the threat and if so what's the point of them going after geohot? seems like a waste of time.
Not really. Sony put up a new defense, and took out the best offensive guys on the other team.

Dambrosi

Banned
test_account said:
Technically, i think that it is possible. PSN checks the PS3 firmware when it connects, so if someone can find out every checks that PSN does and then spoof these checks so that PSN thinks the PS3 is on 3.56, then it will probably work. But if this is an easy or hard task to do is another question :)
If that's true, then how am I still able to access PSN using 3.55CFW and the DNS trick? Why is PSN not recognizing my firmware as old and blocking it? I genuinely don't get it.

Zoe

Dambrosi said:
If that's true, then how am I still able to access PSN using 3.55CFW and the DNS trick? Why is PSN not recognizing my firmware as old and blocking it? I genuinely don't get it.

Doesn't that allow you to bypass an authentication server?

-PXG-

Alright, I installed CFW with Kmeaw. Homebrew is installed on the XMB, but I'm getting error 80029519. What do I do? I'm on a original, 60 GB phat.

Well supposedly Sony can update firmware now without you even knowing by doing stealth updates. Best way would be to find a way for 3.55 cfw to spoof newer fw versions until a game comes out that uses newer apis that actually require a higher firmware, which might not be for awhile. If they release a 3.56 cfw it would be kind of worthless at this point as any hole found would be plugged in a 3.57 update before any games even needed a higher firmware. If they find an exploit, it is probably best to keep it a secret until after a worthwhile fw comes out.

Rhindle

Ploid 3.0 said:
So that update wasn't so much of a joke after all?
To the contrary, they really went to town on this one.

Apparently, another undocumented "feature" of this firmware is remote code execution on bootup. Meaning that Sony's servers can remotely take control of the PS3, push down new code and execute it.

That should help remove all those pesky unwanted features that may have found their way onto your machine, without you having to lift a finger.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just formatted because I thought moving files back and forth from the ps3 was making some space on my system go missing. I have 47 of 55gb from a fresh boot, that sound right?

Ploid 3.0

fallagin said:
http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=14662#axzz1CIpeNvHm

Holy shet, I just found this while looking for a way to mod ps3 oblivion. They talk about using ps3 jailbreak though, I wonder if this would work with the cfw exploit rather than the jailbreak stuff. I really want to try this, I think I am going to try to install cfw soon for this.

I'm pretty sure I have a 256 nand ps3, is it safe to try and do cfw yet?

So this answers my question I had about PS3 games being moddable with this cfw stuff. Wow.

Top Bottom