• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

Dambrosi

Banned
N.A said:
Some weak willed people in here :p

I had a sealed copy of GT5 waiting for nearly two months... and in the end I could have updated!
Well, I also play Demon's Souls, so I do want to stay online if I can :p

Also, I'm poor and can't afford another PS3. Add to that the fact that the one thing I wanted out of this (universal region-free) isn't even on the distant horizon as far as development goes, and the luster of homebrew on PS3 begins to seem a little lacking.

That said, you still have my sword...for now. Yes, I love Final Burn that much :D

tl;dr - I really just want to be able to buy and play post-3.56 games. Online is desirable, but expendable.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Hey N.A, is the official 3.55 PUP link on the wiki still the actual 3.55 or has it become 3.56? Just checking to make sure no one clicks uses it thinking they will update their system to 3.55 and then get CFW when what they really just did was screwed up.

Lince

Banned
Adam Prime said:
I hated having to wait an extra three or four weeks to play or download the newest games.

of course you couldn't buy them in some shop in your area or order them online? of course not, since you had a CFW you needed to download them. Interesting.

Dambrosi said:
Also, I'm poor and can't afford another PS3.
That said, you still have my sword...for now. Yes, I love Final Burn that much :D

so you're poor but you have the arcade boards for the games Final Burn emulates? man those things are quite expensive, so what method and device do you use to legally rip the ROMs in your own arcarde boards to the PS3?

N.A

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Hey N.A, is the official 3.55 PUP link on the wiki still the actual 3.55 or has it become 3.56? Just checking to make sure no one clicks uses it thinking they will update their system to 3.55 and then get CFW when what they really just did was screwed up.

Still 3.55 for now. I will update the link to a mirror soon though.

Edit: Done!

jamaniek

I didn't track everything day by day.Ok, let's say I've been ignorant, but what about games that require a new version of FW? Simple EBOOT swap is gonna work?

N.A

Banned
jamaniek said:
I didn't track everything day by day.Ok, let's say I've been ignorant, but what about games that require a new version of FW? Simple EBOOT swap is gonna work?

Yes. Public keys are known so we can still decrypt non-NPDRM eboots.

Zoe

jamaniek said:

Assuming the game doesn't require a feature of the FW.

Hyllian

multiMan 1.14.01 released!

Version 01.14.01 is available for update within multiMAN (with [R3] button or [UPDATE] in FILE MANAGER):

* Hypervisor mapped memory set to 4096 bytes (not 3MB)
* Restored AVCHD support for HDD video folders
* Added on the fly mount point redirection
* Added /app_home discless game support (very limited)
* multiMAN now uses only syscall36 function
* Increased stability: proper memory management

Dean

test_account

XP-39C²
Zoe said:
I've never seen that, but I've never installed from disc before either.
I tried to download something from the PS Store and install it later on, then it only said "Installation done" or something. So i guess that it isnt something that was added in PS3 firmware 3.56.

Hesemonni

Banned
Lince said:
of course you couldn't buy them in some shop in your area or order them online? of course not, since you had a CFW you needed to download them. Interesting.

so you're poor but you have the arcade boards for the games Final Burn emulates? man those things are quite expensive, so what method and device do you use to legally rip the ROMs in your own arcarde boards to the PS3?
Ouch :p

N.A

Banned
Zoe said:
Assuming the game doesn't require a feature of the FW.

It usually takes devs at least six months to start using the new SDK's. There are still no PS3 games that use any firmware features higher than 3.30.

I'd be surprised if we went that amount of time without a CFW.

Though Sony could theoretically give Naughty Dog or someone updates months in advance of release then don't push those updates to consumers until release which would help them prevent piracy for a high profile game launch.

Lince said:

Seems like you're insinuating something about him. If you are, you will want to cease doing so. If I am not mistaken this isn't the first time you have done this. There are other threads to do what you're doing so take it over there.

Dambrosi

Banned
Lince said:
so you're poor but you have the arcade boards for the games Final Burn emulates? man those things are quite expensive, so what method and device do you use to legally rip the ROMs in your own arcade boards to the PS3?
Yeah, I inherited an old, closed-down arcade from my missing dad, like that guy in Tron Legacy
you are aware that you can get banned for "implying" stuff like that, right?

3rdman

I really wish someone would have found a way to backup PS2 games by now for the Fat systems...I know there must a good reason for it but I haven't had it explained to me.

Maddog

Is there anyway to backup entire Blu Rays? I know they are probably massive in file size but I wouldn't mind having a few of my movies without having to put discs in.

Maddog said:
Is there anyway to backup entire Blu Rays? I know they are probably massive in file size but I wouldn't mind having a few of my movies without having to put discs in.

Multiman back up BR I think...

MMaRsu

Banned
Maddog said:

Is it still illegal to download a blu ray rip of a movie if you own it? Probably not.. quality is about the same too :)

Lince said:

You can buy and download games off of PSN. Why wouldn't you just assume that is what he's talking about.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
MMaRsu said:
Is it still illegal to download a blu ray rip of a movie if you own it? Probably not.. quality is about the same too :)

The legality of that would be on some serious shaky ground if you prove you have the original. I understand that the law reads doing such would be illegal, but I would love the day a movie studio sues someone for downloading a digital copy of a movie they physically own. I'd hope the public would begin to see how bad companies are getting with some shit.

Zoe

The way I look at it, Blu-ray movies and games are just way too large, and I wouldn't want to be exposed to my ISP or any content owners for the amount of time that it takes to download them. Even if it wouldn't hold any legal weight, I have no desire to receive C&D letters in the mail.

It's been possible for a long time to rip BD's yourself onto a PC (though I'm not aware of any freeware options).

PSGames

Actually from my understanding you can't get in trouble for downloading only for sharing. So if you're not uploading anything they can't come after you.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Zoe said:
The way I look at it, Blu-ray movies and games are just way too large, and I wouldn't want to be exposed to my ISP or any content owners for the amount of time that it takes to download them. Even if it wouldn't hold any legal weight, I have no desire to receive C&D letters in the mail.

It's been possible for a long time to rip BD's yourself onto a PC (though I'm not aware of any freeware options).

C&D for what? Getting the digital copy to a physical copy of something you can prove you already own? I don't believe ANY studio would challenge this in court. Just how ridiculously bad it would make them appear would not be worth punishing someone that actually supported your shit studio.

Zoe said:

This. And honestly I think thats why the piracy hoopla is a little overblown. These games are 10gb+, a lot of them at least. I think many people take that into account before.

Weenerz

Banned
PSGames said:
Actually from my understanding you can't get in trouble for downloading only for sharing. So if you're not uploading anything they can't come after you.

They can, they just usually go after the bigger fish.

Zoe

squatingyeti said:
C&D for what? Getting the digital copy to a physical copy of something you can prove you already own? I don't believe ANY studio would challenge this in court. Just how ridiculously bad it would make them appear would not be worth punishing someone that actually supported your shit studio.

A company doesn't need a court to send out a C&D. It's a scare tactic.

As far as the ISP goes, I don't want to go on any "bad customer" lists.

Dambrosi

Banned
DoctorWho said:
You can buy and download games off of PSN. Why wouldn't you just assume that is what he's talking about.
Just leave him to the mods. He knows not what he does.

The legality of that would be on some serious shaky ground if you prove you have the original. I understand that the law reads doing such would be illegal, but I would love the day a movie studio sues someone for downloading a digital copy of a movie they physically own. I'd hope the public would begin to see how bad companies are getting with some shit.
I always read the law as stating that only the actual copying and distribution of copyrighted works was illegal, and that merely downloading such copies was a civil matter - that's why the MPAA/RIAA and thugs of their ilk try to sue downloaders into submission rather than having them arrested, and also why you hear so few stories about it nowadays (at least compared to a few years back).

In short, yes, it would be technically unlawful, but since you already own the blu-ray version, the copyright owner/s would have a hard time making a case - even if they caught you to begin with, which is still unlikely.

The problem comes when you use BitTorrent to download files. BT works by downloading data, then uploading that data to others who don't have that data - and it's the uploading bit that can get you in trouble, since that can be seen as distribution of copyrighted works, the illegal part of piracy. The best thing to do would be to either stop uploads from your BT client (which goes against the whole point of BT), or just use file-storage sites like MegaUpload (since there's no uploading involved in the act of downloading from these sites).

But Zoe is right on this - it's best to make your own backups of discs you own. It may or may not be technically unlawful (depending on where you live), but there's also no chance you'll get caught backing up your own discs in your own home.

Oh, and sorry for the derail/wall-o-text.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Zoe said:

There's a few. This is my (free) ripper of choice at the moment:
DVDFab HD Decrypter

*hugs his HTPC and Media Server*

Dambrosi

Banned
Smidget: Either follow the Wiki to go back to OFW, using Eraseme beforehand to wipe your log files, or do this:

BoboBrazil said:
Settings > Network Settings > Internet Connection Settings > OK > Custom > You Choose > Manual Settings > Auto > Auto > Do Not Set > Manual > Primary DNS = 67.202.81.137 Secondary DNS = 67.202.81.137 > Automatic > Do Not Use > Enable > X

dns trick supposedly works to keep access to psn for now.
I'm currently doing this (watching Top Gear on PS3 iPlayer right this moment) with no issues so far. It won't last more than a few weeks, though, so hurry up.

Smidget

Dambrosi said:
Smidget: Either follow the Wiki to go back to OFW, using Eraseme beforehand to wipe your log files, or do this:

I'm currently doing this (watching Top Gear on PS3 iPlayer right this moment) with no issues so far. It won't last more than a few weeks, though, so hurry up.

I guess I'm just afraid of my PS3 getting banned and me losing my DLC/PSN games... guess I should have thought about this more before I did it at all! Thanks for the help.

Zoe

Speevy said:
Just an aside, I don't think Sony could clear the homebrew off your PS3 AND ban you from the PSN.

Eh, they can. And I could see them doing a temporary account ban as a warning to never do it again.

I'm just going to run eraseme, delete all my shit, and update to the newest firmware. If anything super aweome comes along or I find a really good deal on a bigger hard drive i'll check back in with this stuff.

Despera

Banned
SonOfABeep said:
I'm just going to run eraseme, delete all my shit, and update to the newest firmware. If anything super aweome comes along or I find a really good deal on a bigger hard drive i'll check back in with this stuff.
I heard that once you go 3.56, you'll never be able to run homebrew. Just sayin'

S1kkZ

MMaRsu said:
How so? Is there not going to be a 3.56 CFW? I doubt that!
maybe, maybe not. time will tell.
3.56 makes it a lot harder for the hackers (if i got it right), thats all we know.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
So I'm going to upgrade my HDD tonight as I just got it in the mail. Do I need to make sure my PS3 is in no way connected to the internet when I switch HDD's so it won't try to pull 3.56 down while I'm changing the HDD, or will it just not do anything with firmware and take care of just the new HDD?

Top Bottom