• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

Rur0ni said:
Updated to 3.55 via Sony's firmware page. Installed 3.55-JB via USB. Like 9 beeps and a shutdown. Powered on and had install pkg menu option. Installed SNES9x 4.4.2 and loaded up Chrono Trigger.

Success folks.

How well does it run on PS3? Full speed + 1080p?

Chesskid1

Banned
hey lovingsteam,

you should probably add in that you can go back to OFW 3.55 just by using the same method you used to install 3.55jb but with 3.55OFW instead. chances are VERY good they won't be able to tell at all if you just wanna stay offline to be safe atm.

itxaka

Defeatist
charlequin said:
As I mentioned in the previous update thread, this thread will be for discussion of and assistance with the use of homebrew on the PS3 system, within the rules of NeoGAF. This means that:

• As always, advocacy of piracy, linking to pirated materials, providing advice for or guides on committing piracy, or otherwise engaging in inappropriate behavior with regard to piracy will result in moderator action.
  • Engaging in complaining about this thread being allowed to exist, accusing posters in this thread of piracy, attempting to start debates about piracy or the ethics of homebrew, or otherwise trying to grind an axe for one's personal beliefs regarding homebrew legitimacy will also result in moderator action.

I and other moderators will be reading this thread. We will certainly extend posters the benefit of the doubt, but these rules will be enforced to keep conversation here productive.

How do the compiled pkg fell into this? If they are compiled with the psligth they are supposed to be legal, but there is no way of knowing their status right?

Chesskid1 said:
hey lovingsteam,

you should probably add in that you can go back to OFW 3.55 just by using the same method you used to install 3.55jb. chances are VERY good they won't be able to tell at all if you just wanna stay offline to be safe atm.

Good idea. Adding now.

Rur0ni

I NEED SCISSORS said:
How well does it run on PS3? Full speed + 1080p?
Gives the option to output at 1080p and apply various shaders. Haven't tested different outputs/shaders, nor have I played through the game, just the intro + walking around and performance seemed fine.

thuway

So I guess still no backup manager. Eh, hopefully sometime within the next 24 hours someone ports something over.

fallagin

I know its an old game, but it would be awesome if they found a way to apply Oblivion pc mods to the ps3 version.

Zapages

KAL2006 said:
I am going to wait it out for 6-12 months, see what sony do, I don't want to lose PSN

I am waiting until PS4 is released to do anything or when they disable PS3 from PSN... I don't want to lose PSN games. But this is very tempting for my cousins or folks in 3rd world countries.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
BigNastyCurve said:
I've run it while on the PSN. From what I can tell it lists the name of the app you're running....so it says snes9xa I think
That's pretty funny.
I'm now afraid of my main PSN account being banned though.

Guess I'll have to use an alt.

KAL2006

Banned
Zapages said:
I am waiting until PS4 is released to do anything or when they disable PS3 from PSN... I don't want to lose PSN games. But this is very tempting for my cousins or folks in 3rd world countries.

I seruosly doubt they will ban your PSN account as people have invested in DLC and PSN games. I think if they do ban anyone, it would be similar to what Microsoft do, ban the console from online and not your PSN account.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Durante said:
Where? Which? Link?

Please share some more information.

Do a google search for Rebug 3.41E Beta v1.0.1 as the forum has banned the website.

wwm0nkey

KAL2006 said:
I seruosly doubt they will ban your PSN account as people have invested in DLC and PSN games. I think if they do ban anyone, it would be similar to what Microsoft do, ban the console from online and not your PSN account.
I can see them blocking the PS3 but not completely banning it, giving users the option to go back to OFW

Zapages

KAL2006 said:

I have 80 GB BC console... So its a bit risky to lose that investment. lol

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hopefully FinalBurn Alpha and Tales of Graces f Demo patcher are signed soon. :D Pretty excited with all the things we should be able to do now.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
wwm0nkey said:
I can see them blocking the PS3 but not completely banning it, giving users the option to go back to OFW
Hmm, true.
I've got an extra PS3 hanging around on 3.55. I'll give it a go.

Vamphuntr

InfiniteNine said:
Hopefully FinalBurn Alpha and Tales of Graces f Demo patcher are signed soon. :D Pretty excited with all the things we should be able to do now.

This is relevant to my interests. Tell me more.

Zapages

what would be really cool if to be able to port GPPO onto PS3 and play SF 3 TS, and a bunch of others like that.

jett

D-Member
So anyone with a regular usb drive can hack their PS3s? And you can go back to the original FW too? Man, Sony really screwed up here. :p Hopefully we'll see some interesting stuff in homebrew besides emulators.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
wwm0nkey said:

Hardly. They'll probably do it similar to MS and ban it for good. That way you'll have to buy a new system after it gets banned. It's also a lot bigger risk to CFW it and take it online.

Zoe

KAL2006 said:

Why should that matter to them? You violated their ToS, and there's no chance of getting your money back.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
jett said:
So anyone with a regular usb drive can hack their PS3s? And you can go back to the original FW too? Man, Sony really screwed up here. :p Hopefully we'll see some interesting stuff in homebrew besides emulators.

Once the home brew is installed. You can go back to OFW and they will still run as they are correctly signed. Mind blown eh...

jamaniek

Correct me if I'm wrong but even if Sony ban a console instead of a PSN account, wouldn't we just change a serial number via software? A whole OS is now open, right?

yencid

The main reason i like CFW on my PSP is for the sweeeeettt Themes that where made for it which completely changed the XMB. Would love those on the ps3

Zoe said:
Why should that matter to them? You violated their ToS, and there's no chance of getting your money back.

That's kind of what I'm thinking too...

yencid said:
The main reason i like CFW on my PSP is for the sweeeeettt Themes that where made for it which completely changed the XMB. Would love those on the ps3

That would be awesome. Gotta think it would be easy (hopefully)

Zoe

jamaniek said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but even if Sony ban a console instead of a PSN account, wouldn't we just change a serial number via software? A whole OS is now open, right?

You would need to change it to a valid serial number. Also change your MAC address to be safe.

Zapages

only way for the folks is to use any homebrew without any logging onto PSN.

Does 2 player homebrew games work?

Also any chance of Linux support. I would like to browse the internet with more plugin support.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
jamaniek said:

And change it to what? You would need a "clean" serial/console ID to be able to connect.

KAL2006

Banned
Zoe said:

Its a good business decision, the person will take his PSN account seriously and will continue to purchase shit on PSN. If the PS3 is just banned, then the person can just go buy another PS3. This way Sony make more money

xtop

i don't actually have to go through this to install packages right? that's just an example on how to install a package correct?

How to install Packages on Jailbroken PS3 3.55

Step 1: Plug your USB stick into your computer
Step 2: Drop http://geohot.com/test.pkg into the root of the USB stick
Step 3: Plug your USB stick into your PS3
Step 4: Navigate to the Game Tab
Step 5: Choose Install Package Files
Step 6: Select the test.pkg
Step 7: After it installs you will find the test package from geohot installed below the Install Package Files folder

darkwing

jamaniek said:

i believe each valid unit has a unique id assigned, you can't just assign any random number, its extremely risky to run homebrews while online

Zoe

KAL2006 said:
Its a good business decision, the person will take his PSN account seriously and will continue to purchase shit on PSN. If the PS3 is just banned, then the person can just go buy another PS3. This way Sony make more money

Sony has no idea what your intentions are. All they see is you're running things you're not supposed to be running on their network.

They're not crying over the loss of any other paying customers they ban.

test_account

XP-39C²
wwm0nkey said:
It will say you are playing SNES9x. Ive been playing Megaman X and Link to the Past and keep getting messages going "WTF!?"

Also I would like to point out I only download Roms of games I already own.
itxaka said:
Someone on the other thread said he was trying the filemanager and received a lot of MP from friends asking WTF he was doing, so yes, it broadcasts what you are doing :lol
I guess that if nothing is configured it will say the name of the APP (like snes9x) or the spoofed id (like the black ops backup managers)
BigNastyCurve said:
I've run it while on the PSN. From what I can tell it lists the name of the app you're running....so it says snes9xa I think
Ok, thanks for the info everyone! :)

KAL2006

Banned
Zoe said:
Sony has no idea what your intentions are. All they see is you're running things you're not supposed to be running on their network.

They're not crying over the loss of any other paying customers they ban.

I still doubt they will ban the PSN account, but whatever the case it doesn't matter for me, I didn't buy anything on PSN except for SSF2HDR :lol

Jucksalbe

Banned
InfiniteNine said:

Wait, does that mean there's hope for a complete fan translation of Tales of Graces f?

Installing now.

Protip: block playstation.net in your router's firewall if you want to keep your system from logging into PSN while still leaving it connected to the internet.

Can someone explain to me what peek&poke is? I keep hearing it, but I have no idea what it is.

And wow, is a Wii emulator really possible on the PS3? That sounds crazy, considering that even PS2 games can never be emulated.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Rur0ni said:
Updated to 3.55 via Sony's firmware page. Installed 3.55-JB via USB. Like 9 beeps and a shutdown. Powered on and had install pkg menu option. Installed SNES9x 4.4.2 and loaded up Chrono Trigger.

Success folks.
Indeed, those beeps are like a countdown or something? Either way it worked like a charm and I am FTP'ing as I speak (After I read the manual on why Filezilla and it's 2 connections at once thing fails).

SwiftSketcher said:
Can someone explain to me what peek&poke is? I keep hearing it, but I have no idea what it is.

And wow, is a Wii emulator really possible on the PS3? That sounds crazy, considering that PS2 games can never be emulated.
I wouldn't say never, after all, the PS3 has only just been properly prised open, you can never tell what magic may be woven here. Anyway, time to try out the Snes emulator. It's funny how that is always one of the first things done, my PSP, Wii and now PS3 have all started their CFW ways with a quick blast of LttP.

Zoe

Beer Monkey said:
Installing now.

Protip: block playstation.net in your router's firewall if you want to keep your system from logging into PSN while still leaving it connected to the internet.

Or... turn off auto-sign in and uncheck the "remember password" box :p

wwm0nkey

I really dont even care if I get banned from PSN I really only play SP games on the thing anyway. I still HIGHLY doubt they will ban they will probably just do what they did with the PSP.

Also for those asking about how the emulator runs...it runs AMAZINGLY!

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
SwiftSketcher said:

And wow, is a Wii emulator really possible on the PS3? That sounds crazy, considering that even PS2 games can never be emulated.

Wii is a power pc + fairly standard GPU. PS3 is a power pc + fairly standard GPU, but a fair but more powerful. So it's an easier process for an emulator than the totally different set ups of PS2 and PS3

Top Bottom