• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

besiktas1

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Is this ok to do and still use Netflix and stuff? I'm guessing not. I may have to wait on this until I get a new Xbox. Need a dedicated Netflix machine. This is incredibly exciting...
Yes :)

Keyser Soze said:
All that the CFW lets you do it install homebrew applications.

Right now, it seems people only care about getting emulators up at running, but the CFW will let people install anything once someone gets around to creating it

Basically, no one has created anything that interests you right now, but the current CFW will still allow you to add applications in the future that may interests you

If you don't care about homebrew, and you're hanging around this thread, I'm going to assume there's only one thing you're really interested in. Unfortunately, even though a backup loader would be extremely handy for me (40+ ps3 games with a 500gb HD), it's going to lead to big time piracy.

itxaka

Defeatist
Superblatt said:
is this the equivalent to MAME? If so, to what degree of comptability are we talking here? CPS1, CSP2, etc?

Capcom CPS-1
Capcom CPS-2
Capcom CPS-3
Cave
Neo Geo
Sega System 16 (and similar), System 18, X-Board, Y-Board
Toaplan
Taito
Psikyo 68EC020 based hardware

Ploid 3.0

wwm0nkey said:
It will say you are playing SNES9x. Ive been playing Megaman X and Link to the Past and keep getting messages going "WTF!?"

Also I would like to point out I only download Roms of games I already own.

Someone should name their app Uncharted 3 :lol

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Is this ok to do and still use Netflix and stuff? I'm guessing not. I may have to wait on this until I get a new Xbox. Need a dedicated Netflix machine. This is incredibly exciting...

Sony never did anything to ban people on PSP when using CFW. They made life difficult, but never threw out bans. Unless they change tact here, then it is safe to use your PS3 in the way you currently use it.

KAL2006

Banned
darkwing said:
at the rate its going, a homebrew PSN store thingy won't be far behind :D

wont be surprising, Wii has one

Chesskid1 said:
Genesisplus_GX_V1.1_355.rar (2.35 MB)
http://www.multiupload.com/F9SDU8DN6W
source
someone try out FBAnext, genesis for we can add them to OP :) don't know what LuaPlayer is (see source).

Genesis already, actually I take it back, I give it 3 days until we get all the things I said on one of my previous posts

entrement said:
I don't care about emulators on the PS3. What other current benefits does the CFW offer?
Allow 3rd party USB controllers/drivers (360 controller support?)
Allow 3rd party bluetooth (Wii controller, sends files from other blutooth devices)
Remap button controls
Better and faster web browser
Custom soundtrack support for all games
Easy to navigate YouTube and Hulu apps
Radio support
Homebrew games (imagine the Move and PSEye homebrew games)
MKV video playback support
NTFS hardrive support
ISOloader, install and play PS3 games (dont have to change disks anymore)
Unlock saves
PDF, txt, comic reader
New features for in game XMB if there is enough RAM (in game FAQ - open txt file)

besiktas1

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Hmm, awesome. But it's suggested I log off PSN right? I may check this out this week. Thanks for the reply!
Meh, go on the wild side :) Worth the risk imo; also going off psp history unlikely :)

Zapages

Superblatt said:
is this the equivalent to MAME? If so, to what degree of comptability are we talking here? CPS1, CSP2, etc?

CPS1, CPS2, CPS3, Neo-Geo, PGM, Sega and Cave I think. I really don't know for sure. But those are my guesses.

Zapages said:
CPS1, CPS2, CPS3, Neo-Geo, PGM, Sega and Cave I think. I really don't know for sure. But those are my guesses.

Dude, can someone post some screenshots of ANY of the new apps running? I'm dying to see something...youtube links would be ideal.

Chesskid1

Banned
jamaniek said:
Any news on N64 emulator coming within the hours?

there is a flood of emulators because it's just converting old homebrew that required special dongles into the new homebrew on 3.55 that requires a flash drive only.

the only thing left to convert emulator wise that has been released is the ps1 emulator, and i would expect that very soon. that about covers it unless i'm missing something. no n64 emulation atm but i expect it in the future.

Borman

Superblatt said:
Dude, can someone post some screenshots of ANY of the new apps running? I'm dying to see something...youtube links would be ideal.

I'd do it, if I had remembered my component cables for my capture card. But I dont think they are here ;\ Although I can use an HD camera I guess

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Hmm, awesome. But it's suggested I log off PSN right? I may check this out this week. Thanks for the reply!

No one really knows. If I've read correctly Sony only blocked PSN access if you had a bogus firmware - they never banned handhelds or accounts. I know I'm on the PSN right now with Geohot's :) We shall see.

Ponn01 said:
test pkg link in op is not working. Is that not needed, just an example?

test pkg is use to test if other will work it was release by geohot as an example. If that is not working for you, then other will not. You must not have 3.55-jb installed

edit - I read wrong, disregard me

besiktas1

Also if I am not mistaken, ps1 emu uses same sys calls as the backup managers so until they fix that, I think we're about done with the current emulators out.

Dreamcast will be out hopefully sooner rather than later (the dude that done the android port is on that)

I'm guess people are working on n64, if not they will be soon.

Dolphin (GC and Wii) is also in development as we speak.

Borman said:
I'd do it, if I had remembered my component cables for my capture card. But I dont think they are here ;\ Although I can use an HD camera I guess
Few photos would be cool, this thread is lacking images.

darkwing

besiktas1 said:
Also if I am not mistaken, ps1 emu uses same sys calls as the backup managers so until they fix that, I think we're about done with the current emulators out.

Dreamcast will be out hopefully sooner rather than later (the dude that done the android port is on that)

I'm guess people are working on n64, if not they will be soon.

Dolphin (GC and Wii) is also in development as we speak.

it would be amazing using the Move controller with Wii games :lol

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
itxaka said:
Capcom CPS-1
Capcom CPS-2
Capcom CPS-3
Cave
Neo Geo
Sega System 16 (and similar), System 18, X-Board, Y-Board
Toaplan
Taito
Psikyo 68EC020 based hardware

How does Third Strike run?

MMaRsu

Banned
Holy shit mkv support? Does that mean it'll be able to play x264 soon as well?

How safe is it to do this and if you don't go online while using this can you be punished for using this?

How safe and easy is setting all this up using a Mp3 usb player? It's 4gb.. I'm reading the OP as we speak but if someone can explain how not to brick or destroy my just new Ps3 Slim I'd be a happy man :D

Seriously if the DC emu works well for sonic adventure sega are going to look so dumb with their shitty SA port. I want it to happen, do it!

darkwing

MMaRsu said:

How safe is it to do this and if you don't go online while using this can you be punished for using this?

how would they know if you are running something else when you are not going online?

Ponn

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
test pkg is use to test if other will work it was release by geohot as an example. If that is not working for you, then other will not. You must not have 3.55-jb installed

edit - I read wrong, disregard me

np, thanks lovingsteam for answer

I'm going to give this a couple more days to see what developments occur. I'm down for the homebrew and would love to run my game collection from hdd (just like PSP) but with DC Universe coming out this week I really don't want to end up screwing myself somehow so I will wait a bit for things to settle down.

On that note just for fyi what is a good HDD to uograde PS3 with? I'm sure that question will be asked and lovingsteam might want to add info about upgrading HDD to OP.

MMaRsu said:

It is a mystery.jpg

No one knows yet, so far no one has been banned but it's been 1 day...

angelfly

16axwzt.jpg

:D

MMaRsu

Banned
darkwing said:
how would they know if you are running something else when you are not going online?

Well who knows. Do you have to delete everything or go back to normal firmware before going online?

jiggles

Banned
besiktas1 said:
PS3 has bluetooth, just use/buy a Wiimote :)

Does its BT stack have the ability to handle the standard BT HID protocols, though? The PS3 pads don't use it, headsets don't use it, and everything else needs a dongle, so I'm guessing not.

Suzzopher

Playing Super Mario World on Dualshock feels so wrong. Are there any SNES USB pads out there? I have a NES one so there must be right?

darkwing

MMaRsu said:
Well who knows. Do you have to delete everything or go back to normal firmware before going online?

right now, i don't think Sony is going to do a total system scan of your HD if you are online, its not really practical, think of the network resources you need to do this for all PS3s going online

on second thought, they might do it randomly

Top Bottom