• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYSTATION 3 hardware pix from CES

Geek

Ninny Prancer
gofreak said:
It's the HDD slot (i think it slides in - it shouldn't stick out on the side, i guess?)

Maybe its the expansion slot for the forthcoming HD-DVD drive! OMG!

Arsynic

Banned
The console launches in the "Spring" and Sony gives us the same old shit from last year. *Sigh*

PS Conference FTW!

mj1108 said:
Any idea what this is??

ps3what.jpg

Looks like it would reveal an expansion slot of some kind.... to attach a HDD???

You can stick VHS tapes in there.

No, really.

Arsynic

Banned
The PS3 still looks too small for all the shit Sony's going to pack into it.

Maybe we just need to add water for it to go to it's original size. I mean, what the hell? How the hell is Sony defying physics with those hot ass chips in the box while current BD players are just a bit smaller than a mobile home.

Raven.

Banned
Arsynic said:

Maybe we just need to add water for it to go to it's original size. I mean, what the hell? How the hell is Sony defying physics with those hot ass chips in the box while current BD players are just a bit smaller than a mobile home.

sony engineers just kick@ss!!! expect internal power supply too ;)

Arsynic

Banned
The PS3 is going to cost a grip. If they can do all of this for a console under $500, then Jesus Christ must be their lead engineer and Ken Kutaragi is God himself.

jayhawker

Arsynic said:

Unless my memory is fuzzy, first-gen DVD players weren't much smaller than current BD players, and the PS2 managed just fine.

ManaByte

AndreasNystrom said:
And its got a built in PSU!. AC In.

Again, how does that mean it's built in? It's plug on the back looks exactly the same as the Xbox 360's and judging by the size of the PS3's connector it's likely leading out to an external unit.

Wait the back of the 360 also has a kettle plug (plug with ground, bah, you know I mean)? Why do they need a ground after it's already been through the PSU?

Arsynic

Banned
jayhawker said:
Unless my memory is fuzzy, first-gen DVD players weren't much smaller than current BD players, and the PS2 managed just fine.
It's not the BD drive that I'm concerned about because AV shit is often oversized to make it stackable (kind of like the old Dell Optiplexes with the steel reinforced chassis so that the monitor could sit on top of the unit). It's the Cell and RSX I'm thinking about.

Elios83

ManaByte said:
Again, how does that mean it's built in? It's plug on the back looks exactly the same as the Xbox 360's and judging by the size of the PS3's connector it's likely leading out to an external unit.

It says "alternate current in".
The external PSU is used to supply the console with direct current,at least usually.

vitaflo

Mefisutoferesu said:
Wait the back of the 360 also has a kettle plug (plug with ground, bah, you know I mean)? Why do they need a ground after it's already been through the PSU?

Why does the 360 need one?

bumpkin

They really need to lose the Spider-Man 2 font. Just stick with the standard PlayStation font. Geez.

vitaflo said:
Why does the 360 need one?

Mana stated the back of the 360 has a kettle plug (a plug with a ground, to help protect in case of discharge from AC), but the external PSU already converts the AC to DC, so there isn't any need for a kettle plug, yet Mana says there is one, so I'm confused and asking "why?"

qirex

Arsynic said:
Pioneer has already shown slot-loading Blu-Ray drives that can fit in a laptop device bay. I think it'll all fit just fine except maybe for the power supply. And why does it have 3 ethernet ports again?

xaosslug

it's pretty darn impressive when the primary bones of contention for fanboys when debating the finer points of a console's conceptual design are its font, its design (which is a subjective judgment, imo), its conceptual controller (of which no parties involved have even gotten their hands on/not even seen outside of pix on internet), and whether or not it's big enough to properly ventilate/has enough vents to properly handle exhaust. :lol

*golf claps*

i applaud thee.

i'll take one, in blk. please. Sony, Sony... SOOOOOOOOOKNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Geoff9920

So the back of the console has a 3 pronged port that says AC in, leading me to believe that the power supply will be internal. How the hell did their engineers pull that off. :lol Do their engineers walk on water too?

Plus the usual complaints..

-ugly design
-I only see 1 vent

It's not like any of those complaints matter though, it'll still sell 3 times as much as the other consoles. :p

edit: it does say conceptual design though...

I was hoping they would get their act together and finally put out a console with some serious thought into the design of this thing. But no, they chose instead to go with a late eighties sci-fi feel. Oh well.

mj1108 said:
Any idea what this is??

ps3what.jpg

Looks like it would reveal an expansion slot of some kind.... to attach a HDD???

It's an expansion slot for a next generation vent format. They decided to go ahead and release the PS3 with the current vent format in order to get their product to the market faster, but included the expansion slot in case next generation vent formats become popular. However, Sony denies any such expansion is coming, and states that if it does come, it will ventilate movies only, as the extra ventilation will be inaccessible to game developers.

vantastic

lol more ps3 design bashing. it's not like this is the first time you're seeing the system right?
i think it looks great. industrial design > that concave thing.

Docpan

I'm sorry but the PS3/controller looks like total ass. I really hope that by the time e3 rolls around they'll have changed the design.

Vince

Banned
Geoff9920 said:
So the back of the console has a 3 pronged port that says AC in, leading me to believe that the power supply will be internal. How the hell did their engineers pull that off. :lol Do their engineers walk on water too?

http://www.eetimes.jp/contents/200505/82_2_20050517185534.cfm

I don't know about the water, but they might be able to turn your piss poor attempt at sarcastic humor into something worth existing though.

And the vent comment is old, X360 is just a very bad design, as evident by the fact that 30 out of the 50 devkits used during COD development didn't make it. I forget his name, but Sony's one engineer who designs many of their VAIO laptop cooling solutions has been working with STI since 2001, he has several patents outstanding.

Pimpwerx

They had a PS3 running BD, didn't they? I'd love to know if they could shown the unit running the movies, or at least show one plugged in to see if there's a hideously large power brick attached or not. An internal supply would be cool. Then again, it honestly doesn't matter in the long run. If there psu is external, though, I'd expect a two-prong adapter. There's no need for a 3-prong adapter unless it's accepting AC input. If the 360 has a 3-prong, then the psu must not do any AC-DC conversion...which would be an awful waste considering the massive size. My GC has an external psu and has a 2-prong socket. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

Docpan said:
I'm sorry but the PS3/controller looks like total ass. I really hope that by the time e3 rolls around they'll have changed the design.
This is the same stupid logic again. Do you look at a controller or actually hold it? Button layout? I can understand. That's preference, and pretty simple to gauge from appearance, but it's impossible to gauge the feel of the batarang without holding it, which is why I'll continue to withhold judgement until we can get some feedback from people who've actually used one.

That said, the fact that every demo has use a standard DS2 to date might further suggest that there will be revisions to the design. That or Sony has something interesting planned for the pad, which they want to keep secret until a later date. I'm sure devs know what's expected from the controller though. PEACE.

Any idea what this is??

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4...925/ps3what.jpg

Larry Bird said:
It's an expansion slot for a next generation vent format. They decided to go ahead and release the PS3 with the current vent format in order to get their product to the market faster, but included the expansion slot in case next generation vent formats become popular. However, Sony denies any such expansion is coming, and states that if it does come, it will ventilate movies only, as the extra ventilation will be inaccessible to game developers.

It's a slot to add-on more CELL processors and transform PS3 into PS3.5 :lol

Chittagong

Gold Member
An additional note from CES showfloor:

- Sony's booth had only Black and Silver PS3s.
- I was starting to get worried that my favorite, white, had been dropped. However, eventually I found it at the Blu-Ray Association booth (!!!)
- The white model had taken damage since I last saw it, it had small dents of hitting a sharp object
- Sir Howard Stringers keynote featured Silver PS3 and Batarang controller
- As some mentioned, this was the first time the console design was labeled "conceptual"

Hence, it appears that Sony only has in the US one piece or Black and White PS3 models, and at least two Silver models

Chittagong

Gold Member
Pimpwerx said:
They had a PS3 running BD, didn't they? I'd love to know if they could shown the unit running the movies, or at least show one plugged in to see if there's a hideously large power brick attached or not.

They had a 1080p display running Blu-Ray content on the PS3 area on the Sony booth, with a sign saying something like "PS3 demonstration of Blu-Ray content". I tried to peek inside the hole the cables went to, but there was no way seeing where the content came from. I bet my ass that a PS3 it wasn't.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Chittagong said:
They had a 1080p display running Blu-Ray content on the PS3 area on the Sony booth, with a sign saying something like "PS3 demonstration of Blu-Ray content". I tried to peek inside the hole the cables went to, but there was no way seeing where the content came from. I bet my ass that a PS3 it wasn't.

How did the picture quality look?

Chittagong

Gold Member
BlueTsunami said:
How did the picture quality look?

Looked great to me, like in virtually all Blu-Ray and HD-DVD demonstrations with 1080p displays. I couldn't tell differences, they look all fantastic to me

Top Bottom