• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 3 Shipments Reach 50 Million Units Worldwide. Move surpasses 8 Million

Cruzader

Banned
Eh, there aren't too many Move games. That's for sure. It's sold ok but it's not helping sales such as Kinect is to the 360.

Move, honestly ain't really worth it. Thinking of selling my set up. Like it's nice and all but sometimes I find myself just wanting to use the DS3 so I don't have to mess with settings.

Not to mention Sports Champions is the best Move game yet. KZ3 sucked so it doesnt really help Move since I don't want to touch that game any more. My opinion so please don't take this too seriiously. Good for Sony its doing ok but I don't really see it going any where.

patsu

I agree Sony can do better in motion gaming. They seem to be spread too thin. Move is technically sound but Sony messed up the marketing, and is still slow in building up its values.

Afrikan

I don't know....

I just prefer not to go back to regular controls for FPS....every time I'm about to play KZ3, MAG, Socom4beta, I reach for the Move.

there was a time about a month ago when I wanted to fire up MAG, but forgot that I left my move setup at my cousins so they could play Sports Champions....needless to say I wasn't motivated to starting the game.

don't get me wrong, I an't trying to BS...if the game was already turned on, and I just started playing...sure I would've been fine and probably would've been having fun....but the initial motivation wasn't there.

I'm just happy that Battlefield 3 might support it.

Banned
patsu said:
Is VC1 still in use ? Whoever uses it also needs to pay MPEGLA royalties because they found out it uses patents from about 15 companies in the MPEG patent pool. Sony earns from physical disc royalties and manufacturing on the disc side.

AVC is used far more but VC1 is still used. AVC has around 25 Licensors, Sony, Microsoft and Apple to name a few.

mujun

Cruzader said:
Eh, there aren't too many Move games. That's for sure. It's sold ok but it's not helping sales such as Kinect is to the 360.

Move, honestly ain't really worth it. Thinking of selling my set up. Like it's nice and all but sometimes I find myself just wanting to use the DS3 so I don't have to mess with settings.

Not to mention Sports Champions is the best Move game yet. KZ3 sucked so it doesnt really help Move since I don't want to touch that game any more. My opinion so please don't take this too seriiously. Good for Sony its doing ok but I don't really see it going any where.

Move needs more "gimmick" imo. It's more like an alternate way to control games as opposed to an alternate way to play them. It's great by all accounts in terms of how it performs technically but it doesn't give me any reason to give up using a controller.

onQ123

mujun said:
Move needs more "gimmick" imo. It's more like an alternate way to control games as opposed to an alternate way to play them. It's great by all accounts in terms of how it performs technically but it doesn't give me any reason to give up using a controller.

you can't do this with a normal controller (not this accurately/ precise anyway )

THE FIGHT:LIGHTS OUT - COMBO PRACTICE

PlayStation Move Accuracy Test ( Sports Champion - Disc Golf challenge round)

My Niece Playing Sports Champions -Archery

Beat Sketch !_007

you might not like any of these games but it shows that move can do things that you can't do to good with a controller

onQ123

Snuggler said:
you already posted most of those videos

we all know what Move can do, your job here is done

I was talking to the guy that said it needed a gimmick because it was just replacing the controller & not giving you a new way to play.

& these videos show new ways to play games so I posted them

mujun

onQ123 said:
I was talking to the guy that said it needed a gimmick because it was just replacing the controller & not giving you a new way to play.

& these videos show new ways to play games so I posted them

Personally, I don't think it's not a new way to play, it's a new way to control.

I don't need that. I stick with console FPS despite superior controls on a PC.

Seems something akin to a wheel accessory to me, only going to attract a certain sector of the market and not going to create a new market or attract new customers.

patsu

They seem to focus on core gamers at the moment. Perhaps they feel that average consumers won't pay for PS3 and Move bundle compared to Wii. It maybe a valid decision but I feel that they can do more to encourage new Move game ideas, and be more imaginative with Move messaging. Is is more than a precision controller, they should also integrate it more with other XMB activities. Perhaps when/if a WebKit web browser is available, we'd have Move integration. Right now the Move control scheme is still as clumsy as DS3 for such use.

Should PS3 drop in price, then perhaps they will go after new market more aggressively.

onQ123

After checking GameStop , Amazon , Wal-Mart & Best Buy & seeing that Socom 4 is selling better with the PlayStation Move controller than it is with just the stand alone game on all these websites it's clear that it's more than just a few people that's buying PlayStation Move to play the move compatible games.

& that should answer why PlayStation Move is selling so well without any PlayStation Move only games being in the charts.

8 mil shipped is impressive for something that they are barely marketing. It's an alternate control method and not a whole platform as the Wii and Kinect. Selling so many move units without tons of software support or market focus is pretty amazing I think, I would imagine that Move is a big success for Sony. It probably wont have huge impact as the other systems, but still has done well.

I like the idea of how it's been implemented as well, as with Kinect you basically have a fragmentation of software for two different set ups basically, while Move is just an option. Instead of having to focus development on either one or the other, they just mostly make games that can be played as the user wants which Wii did as well for many of it's games.

I wouldn't really like to see them shift focus to Move only software

MrPliskin

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
8 mil shipped is impressive for something that they are barely marketing. It's an alternate control method and not a whole platform as the Wii and Kinect. Selling so many move units without tons of software support or market focus is pretty amazing I think, I would imagine that Move is a big success for Sony. It probably wont have huge impact as the other systems, but still has done well.

I like the idea of how it's been implemented as well, as with Kinect you basically have a fragmentation of software for two different set ups basically, while Move is just an option. Instead of having to focus development on either one or the other, they just mostly make games that can be played as the user wants which Wii did as well for many of it's games.

I wouldn't really like to see them shift focus to Move only software

I don't really agree that Kinect is more of a platform than Move in anyway. They're both add on accessories to an already existing system.

I'd also argue that move has pretty good software support at this point, which is why it has been successful w/out Marketing. People are seeing the games on the shelf supporting Move, and buying it / them.

MrPliskin said:
I don't really agree that Kinect is more of a platform than Move in anyway. They're both add on accessories to an already existing system.

I say it's more of a platform because the games for it are exclusive to the kinect hardware use. While most of the support for Move games are merely games that can be played by either normal controls or using the move. I think it creates a very different development environment especially since you got to focus on making a Kinect game or a regular 360 title, while with Move you are seeing most devs are just making games with move as an option.

Obviously some don't like that move is being treated as an optional control method, but like I said before I prefer that kind of optional set up than what I see as a fragmentation of the game development.

test_account

XP-39C²
patsu said:
2009 is so long ago, less than a year after HDM war ended. And HDDVD dumping movie price. According to http://www.degonline.org/pressreleases/2011/f_Q410.pdf, 2010 consumer software revenue was $1.8 billion. We won't know how much they earn collectively but that's just one year of retail revenue, at the beginning of BR's lifecycle.

Is VC1 still in use ? Whoever uses it also needs to pay MPEGLA royalties because they found out it uses patents from about 15 companies in the MPEG patent pool. Sony earns from physical disc royalties and manufacturing on the disc side.

In any case, Blu-ray is not about the blank disc media and codecs, it's about rejuvenating packaged media sales. Also need to look at the increase in BR movie price compared to cheap DVD releases, also compensating for declining DVD sales.

It also helps to push HDTV adoption, together with BR players and new home theaters.

Then on the enterprise side, all the expensive professional equipments and services related to Blu-ray authoring, including 4k res, plus 3D Blu-ray. It's a different market here. e.g, even though Apple doesn't support Blu-ray on Macs, their pro software, Final Cut Pro, does support Blu-ray.
I forgot to reply to this earlier, sorry.

Ok, i see, thanks for the info :) Is that $1.8 billion software revenue for Bluray only by the way? And what is "rejuvenating packaged media sales"?

Shurs

BattleMonkey said:
Obviously some don't like that move is being treated as an optional control method...

I feel like the only people who disapprove of optional Move controls are people who don't own Move controllers.

onQ123

Shurs said:
I feel like the only people who disapprove of optional Move controls are people who don't own Move controllers.

^^^ This ^^^

in games like Tiger Woods 12 , KillZone 2, Socom 4, Virtua tennis 4, Resident Evil 4 why would anyone hate that it's a option & not the main controller? you're not losing anything but you're getting games for the Move that the devs wouldn't have put all their time & money into if they had to make it for PlayStation Move only.

Genjikage said:
Good news for Sony, I wish they would use sold instead of shipped though!

I think it's harder to track how many have been sold to consumers but a shipped PS3 is a sold PS3 for Sony. I doubt they just hand them out to retail and then get the money once people buy them. :p

Of course, it would be nice to see how many PS3 consoles have reached consumers though.

patsu

test_account said:
I forgot to reply to this earlier, sorry.

Ok, i see, thanks for the info :) Is that $1.8 billion software revenue for Bluray only by the way? And what is "rejuvenating packaged media sales"?

Read the linked article. Answer is yes, Blu-ray movies retail only in NA. They launched BR to help stop DVD decline. BR Tron sales is more than 60% of DVD + Blu-ray sales btw, because DVD sales has dropped quite a fair bit while BR increases.

MrPliskin

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
I say it's more of a platform because the games for it are exclusive to the kinect hardware use. While most of the support for Move games are merely games that can be played by either normal controls or using the move. I think it creates a very different development environment especially since you got to focus on making a Kinect game or a regular 360 title, while with Move you are seeing most devs are just making games with move as an option.

Obviously some don't like that move is being treated as an optional control method, but like I said before I prefer that kind of optional set up than what I see as a fragmentation of the game development.

I say that you're not looking at all of the games. Both Kinect and Move have roughly 20 or more titles that require said hardware in order to function, there isn't a massive gap between the two. The only gap is that there are far more Move enabled titles than Kinect titles.

I think this speaks more to the ease of development and versatility of Move, rather than it "not being a platform in itself".

MrPliskin said:
I say that you're not looking at all of the games. Both Kinect and Move have roughly 20 or more titles that require said hardware in order to function, there isn't a massive gap between the two. The only gap is that there are far more Move enabled titles than Kinect titles.

I think this speaks more to the ease of development and versatility of Move, rather than it "not being a platform in itself".

See, but the fact that the best-selling Move software (and at the same time the software that sells Move) is traditional controller PS3 software with added Move functionality should be alarming to Sony. Let me explain.

Unlike Kinect, which sells to Xbox 360's existing user base, but also attracts completely new audiences in significant quantities (the majority of Xbox 360 consoles sold over the last few months are Kinect bundles, and the best-selling Kinect software has little in common with traditional Xbox 360 hits), Move mostly sells to people who already own PS3. If software sales are anything to go by, they mostly use it to play games that they would play anyway (Killzone, SOCOM, LBA, Heavy Rain...).

So unless Sony (or hey, some third party) soon manages to come up with a Move killer app that would start attracting new audiences in significant numbers, what incentive will third parties have to support Move in any meaningful way? You see, the types of games that sell well on Move would also sell well without it, and to the same audience. When you make a Kinect exclusive game, you cater to the part of the 360's user base that you normally wouldn't be able to reach. When you make a Move exclusive game, you're selling it to the exact same people who are buying your core products, only your potential user base is now an order of magnitude smaller and you can't charge $60 for it. When you add Kinect functionality to your traditional controller titles (Forza, for instance), you're expanding your potential reach to people who otherwise maybe wouldn't be interested in them. When you do the same with Move, you're not reaching new audiences, it's the same people who would buy your games all the same, even if they had no Move functionality.

So unless the composition of Move's user base starts drastically changing soon, chances are that in the long run third party Move support will be relegated to Wii (and some Kinect) ports and traditional controller games with some hastily added Move functionality. Selling to the same audience, third parties won't have much interest to invest in anything more than that.

Top Bottom