• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3D Display - Pics and Info

RobbieNick

I ended up buying the TV at Best Buy. Both Amazon and Best Buy have it on sale. Tried it out today and absolutely love the TV. It feels bigger than I thought it was. 3D gaming was really fun and it worked well. It sucks that there's no remote (would make it easier to control), otherwise I like it a lot.

I did the same thing, but I bought the Sony PS3 Blu-Ray remote control. It works instantly with the 3D display without having to program the remote at all.

JWong

Banned
Sooo ah...

My PlayStation 3D Display isn't working. Blinks red lights.

Called customer service and sending it in.

At $299 I convinced my brother to buy it for me. (Yesterday he was about to buy a $700 tv for me and I turned it down. So buying a $300 tv should be fine). Will this display allow 3D from other sources, like my computer or cable box or whatever? I guess I don't understand 3D displays at all to be asking this. Gonna start back tracking through the thread to see if this was already answered. Asked anyways because I'm in a hurry as my brother is probably picking up the tv right now.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Considering this, but need input on how well it holds up as a PC monitor as well. Support any of the Nvidia 3D stuff on the PC side?

My current Dell 24" is still quite good for being almost 6 years old, but if it stinks as a primary PC monitor and doesn't support 3D outside of PS3(360?) then nah.

JWong

Banned
Bah. That's frightening. :/

Using it as a 2nd monitor mostly. Not too urgent, so I'm fine with it.

I've seen that there has been a few cases similar to what I'm getting, so hopefully it gets worked out.

I'm going to try some things, but I believe the HDMI ports aren't picking up any signal, so it remains dormant.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Anyone else experiencing excessive back light bleeding from the right side of the screen? It's pretty distracting as it's almost ¼ to ½ inch from the bezel outwards.

seantos

Neo Member
I tried searching the thread but I didn't see this mentioned anywhere. I just wanted to confirm that this does not have VESA mounting holes on the back? It looks like there are 4 screws on the back from pictures, but I can't tell if those are just screws holding internal parts or for a VESA mount. The specs don't list it anywhere so I am guessing it doesn't. Can someone who has one take a look for me?

Just saw this for the first time today, damn is it reflective. It's like Sony actually polished and shined the screen. Also incredibly dim and dull picture, don't know if it was the settings, looked terrible. I'm usually a Sony display fan but this was horrific to look at.

renitou

Just saw this for the first time today, damn is it reflective. It's like Sony actually polished and shined the screen. Also incredibly dim and dull picture, don't know if it was the settings, looked terrible. I'm usually a Sony display fan but this was horrific to look at.
In-store? That setting will never do a display any favors.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Yeah when you turn the backlight down from the default setting (Max 10) and adjust the brightness and color it's pretty nice (when looking dead on).

sfulifer

Ordered my set today from Newegg and having them price match the Best Buy $299 price. This will replace my current PC monitor.

How did you ever get Newegg to PM? I was denied since it wasn't an "Iron Egg" item.
Also, have you folks tried playing 3d content that's not from the PS3 (i.e. western digital/PBO and a 3d mkv)? Just curious if it works.

Got my display for christmas. Less than 24 hours later it doesn't turn on. Press power: Blue bar, green dot left side of bar, then continuous red dot left side of bar.

Yay.

Medalion

Banned
Future shop in canada having their Boxing Day sale and this monitor is also $299 canadian... So tempted to get one for a 3d comp monitor

Medalion

Banned
I just bought the sumbitch...

I dunno what I was really expecting here but I was thinking of using it to replace an older computer monitor but the image quality is not that great for the PC desktop

After awhile I was getting confused where the 3D effect can come in with the glasses and calibration and 240hz mode

So I hooked it up to my PS3 instead and did the display setting setup as it advised me to, I am about to play one of the 3D compatible PS3 games it came bundled with Motostorm Apocalypse

If this doesn't work I may end up returning it cuz this thing was not really what I was expecting...

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Got my display for christmas. Less than 24 hours later it doesn't turn on. Press power: Blue bar, green dot left side of bar, then continuous red dot left side of bar.

Yay.
If the source isn't on and the display doesn't detect any input it turns off rather quickly. There are lot of defects in these displays though. The QA is god awful.

I had two inputs on and running with this error. I also had no inputs when I first opened it and got a nice "no input"-like message and also the chance to change input mode before it shut off.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I had two inputs on and running with this error. I also had no inputs when I first opened it and got a nice "no input"-like message and also the chance to change input mode before it shut off.
I returned my first display due to multiple issues but it always powered on. My second display is perfect. I would recommended getting an extended warranty. These displays seem really poorly made.

Darko

Just picked up mine from Futureshop this morning... loveing it so far, downloaded a few Side by side 3d movies on PC and they played perfectly (just change the 3d mode)... youtube 3d also works with side by side...

Is there any way to watch 3d movies (non side by side) with a ati card? I dont want to have to buy the 3d kit and a new graphics card just to watch movies.

Medalion

Banned
I've been playing around with the monitor for awhile now
I played some 3D Motostorm Apocalypse, the 3D is pretty nice
I was a tad dissapointed but it makes sense that you need 3D content in order to view 3D, and short of that pack in game I don't have any 3D content to try out.

I am watching 2D movies like Avatar on it, looks great. After some calibration of course.
The picture... maybe it's my imagination, but maybe it's the 240hz but the motion while watching video is much smoother... almost to the point it looks slightly motion interpolated very very subtlely.

I like this monitor can handle the 24p mode on the PS3, I mean obviously it should since it's made for the PS3 in mind.

I hooked up my HD Tuner box to this thing and HD also looks very nice and smooth in motion.

Hooked up my Nintendo Wii to it via component, also looks nice but probably because it's a smaller screen compared to my 40 inch sony I had before.

Sound options are a big pain in the ass for this thing, again cuz it's not a TV, so sound output is not an option, I have to hook sounds from source to the home theater sound.

When I bought this thing I guess I was sorta expecting a 3D computer monitor since I have nvidia and the possibility of enabling 3D but I am still figuring shit out.

All in all, for $299 (saving $200 from original price of $499) it's decent I guess.

Edit: I just figured out this thing really is more like a TV than a monitor... I can control the options on the screen using a regular infrared Sony TV remote that is not bluetooth

Darko

Edit: I just figured out this thing really is more like a TV than a monitor... I can control the options on the screen using a regular infrared Sony TV remote that is not bluetooth

yep my regular sony remote works.. but i bought the ps3 remote since that has the button to switch 3d modes (beats having to change it from the back controls everytime or go through menus)...

Medalion

Banned
Simulview has to be supported by certain games (and there are very very few of them) and so far I only know of this feature of this monitor

I like this monitor can handle the 24p mode on the PS3, I mean obviously it should since it's made for the PS3 in mind.

How does this mode look?
I watch a ton of video so would be using this set mostly for film playback if I got one.....
Does it allow the more advanced PS3 features to be used? Those being the RGB Full Range or Deep Colour HDMI Output or Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super White modes?

Medalion

Banned
How does this mode look?
I watch a ton of video so would be using this set mostly for film playback if I got one.....
Does it allow the more advanced PS3 features to be used? Those being the RGB Full Range or Deep Colour HDMI Output or Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super White modes?

This information isn't explicitly stated on the documentation or box, I am trying my best to test some blu-rays and switching back and forth between the outputs to see which looks best

So far I think just putting it to Automatic and Superwhite on is the magic combination, which seems to be Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr anyways

But personally, I think for the price of this thing and what it was designed to do... I somehow doubt those advanced features will be showcased on this

Roto13

So I ordered one of these for $300 on Saturday. It's not here yet (Best Buy's giving themselves an estimated delivery window of two weeks, which is hilarious bullshit), but I'm looking forward to it. My current TV is pretty useless.

This information isn't explicitly stated on the documentation or box, I am trying my best to test some blu-rays and switching back and forth between the outputs to see which looks best

So far I think just putting it to Automatic and Superwhite on is the magic combination, which seems to be Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr anyways

But personally, I think for the price of this thing and what it was designed to do... I somehow doubt those advanced features will be showcased on this
Cool thanks a lot! Just one more and then I'll leave you alone (I promise!)

In the settings is there an option for 1:1 Pixel Mapping aka 'Full Pixel mode' to eliminate overscan?

I can definitely see me picking one of these up when they finally release in the UK
especially since I'm gonna have to be moving to a smaller place next year :(

Medalion

Banned
The settings menu is so very very limited compared to a regular HDTV
But from what I have observed hooking up my HD Tuner box to this monitor, I notice the same kind of digital garbage at the top of the screen that is common with HDTV's that have 1:1 mode on, so I think it does 1:1 by default

Takao

Banned
Can you catch over the air broadcasts with this display? I don't have cable in my room, so I'm at the mercy of the over the air gods.

Medalion

Banned
It is not a TV in the sense that you can hook up a coaxial (tv cable) to it

It's only inputs are two HDMI's, and 1 Component input with composite audio, so if you have a digital box with HDMI or component outputs then that can work but not using over the air cuz that I believe requires a coaxial connection

Jeff Chen

Banned
Lined up at best buy this morning, got this display, plus another pair of glasses, spent $150 of certificates, ended up paying $249 in total -_,-

Just picked up one of these at the Sony Outlet, and got 3 free games! Not a bad deal. Anyhow, does anyone have some recommended calibration settings? I'm awful at using those calibration DVDs.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Ughh these displays are junk. Mine makes a high pitched noise. It kills any scene where it's quiet on screen. Fucking junk!

Medalion

Banned
I use a theatre sound and just mute the horrendous speakers on this monitor

I just tried out some more 3D on this display, watched a 3D commercial I downloaded off youtube... I had to manually switch the 3D type cuz it wasn't detecting it but when it did, it worked fine

I also played Wipeout HD in 3D because now apparently it supports it, started a lap in first person view with 3D glasses, quite fun and gorgeous looking, but I still dislike the fact it has to sacrifice a lotta brightness to make this work when my screen is already pretty dark as it is.

I am not 100% sure if I should keep this thing or not

This 23" LG passive 3D monitor is a better alternative to this display and is about fifty bucks less before shipping. You don't lose anywhere near the brightness with passive displays as you do with active shutter glass setups and there is no crosstalk, though the vertical viewing angle is a little narrow and there can still be a little ghosting on some content. With a monitor of that size, you're likely to be a few feet away when you use it, anyway, so the viewing angle won't be so much of a problem.

Frostburn

Ughh these displays are junk. Mine makes a high pitched noise. It kills any scene where it's quiet on screen. Fucking junk!

Pretty sure that is just a defective one. I've played on two now, one is in my house currently and I've never heard any sound come from the units at all unless I turned on the sound from the built in speakers. I've also watched someone else play with a headset on and there was not a sound in the room.

What's this 24p mode people are talking about on the PS3? Is it a setting of sorts in the display menu.

It's a mode of video playback that offers native frame playback in 1080p, for most if not all Blu Ray or HD-DVD releases. You set the PS3 or Blu Ray player's video settings to automatic or on to support it if you've got it hooked up via HDMI. The display should auto-detect and switch modes once it's started playback unless you've disabled it, though some displays will only offer this option once it has detected the correct format. 1080/24p mode is mostly for cinephiles since it's mostly them who notices the added judder to normal Telecine-playback, but it does produce better overall image quality in motion for any native video coming in.

Top Bottom