• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3D Display - Pics and Info

Zomba13

CoffeeJanitor said:
Can someone explain to me why you would buy this over a normal TV? Thanks
If you just want a smaller TV for your bedroom/dorm room or a 3D monitor for your PC or want a small TV for your consoles and don't care about TV (because you might get your TV stuff through internet TV services like netflix and hulu and whatever).

Biff

~Devil Trigger~ said:
My Samsung HDTV is 26 inch

at the time i bought it for $500, I dunno why people are complaining...

jesus
Seriously, $499 is completely reasonable.

R3, $50
Glasses, $70
Cable, $10

$500-$130 = $370. Very fair price for a 1080p 3D with built-in speakers + subwoofer.

jsnepo

whitehawk said:
The splitscreen 2 player feature is very interesting, but I see no one on GAF talking about it. What gives?

That's probably dependent on the game and bundling Resistance 3 makes me think that the game will be the first to support it. I hope Starhawk does too when it releases.

All depends on the panel, if it's IPS it could be a very solid monitor not just for ps3, but the GPU manufacturer 3d solutions as well.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Takao said:
Yeah, the shape is very PSPgo/Xperia looking, lol.

Well that design shape was for Mylo 2 (by Sony Electronic )and was made before the PSpgo or Xperia.

sony-mylo.jpg

Purexed

Banned
I'm curious to learn about the 2 player screen tech too. I just bought a 59" 3DTV for my man cave, and there's no way in hell I'm springing for another TV any time soon.

I'm hoping the effect is PS3 and software based allowing it to work with any Active 3D setup. The concept itself is a killer app for gaming, especially sports games with icon passing, play calling and routes.

Jtrizzy

metareferential said:
The dual individual screen setup should be doable on any 3d tv, shouldn't it?

It's the ps3 that's handling it, the display shouldn't care what it's displaying alternatively.
Yes I think so. This is one feature I would really like to see in more 3d games.

theBishop

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
This is not a television. Not sure if you realized that or not, so I thought I'd point it out. It's a monitor. It's priced as high as a high-quality IPS monitor.

Since it doesn't say otherwise, I'm going to assume this is a standard-backlit (non-led) baclit monitor and some unique features. If you primarily game on your monitor, it's worth considering.

Most people don't use their television as a television. Most people (in the US anyway) use an external tuner for digital cable or fiber.

I want one so bad. The problem for me is that its either this or the vita this fall for me. I can't afford both at the same time :/. (aka poor college student)

theBishop said:
Most people don't use their television as a television. Most people (in the US anyway) use an external tuner for digital cable or fiber.
I know, but it's still important to point out. We pay quite a bit for the built-in TV tuner that comes on HDTVs, whether we use them or not. Sony not adding one probably saves $75-$100 on the consumer end.

ChefRamsay said:

R3, $50
Glasses, $70
Cable, $10

$500-$130 = $370. Very fair price for a 1080p 3D with built-in speakers + subwoofer.
this is a fair point, I agree. If you're in the market and want Resistance 3, anyway.

Kunan

ChefRamsay said:

R3, $50
Glasses, $70
Cable, $10

Yea I can't believe how cheap it is. Beautiful.

Was a video of this shown at E3?

I'd like to see this thing in action, at least picture quality or something, wish it came in sizes 30 or 32", then it would been my ultimate PC gaming monitor, it's just that I already have a crappy 24" Acer monitor.

ugly, people have computer monitors just as big, should have been LED too

yea, should have be at least 32" to serve as a television

thcsquad

This looks like it's tailor-made for dorm rooms. The small size and active split screen, plus bundling a game that presumably (don't really know anything about R3 at this point) has split screen co-op means that Sony is trying to hook college kids on 3D tech, so when they graduate and get jobs they'll buy other Sony 3D stuff.

jaxpunk

So I've got 2 24 in monitors on my desktop for my pc. Holding out for the announcement of the 50+ inch panel for not dorm rooms. While the price is fair, really 24 inches....

Kintaco said:
This is like the modern day version of that old crt tv made for gamers...I forget who made it though.

Samsung GX. This actually a pretty good deal as an optional screen. I have a 40-inch Samsung, but I would so buy this as a monitor for my gaming laptop and just using it on occasion as PS3 3D monitor.

antonz

Price is going to look even stupider this fall when it releases. TV prices have been on the downward slope non stop for quite awhile. If you can get 43" 3DTVs for 599 now wait til this fall when they are like 399

Lince

Banned
why not Uncharted 3 instead? makes you wonder how good the 3D mode of Unchart3D will be... I already have a 3D Bravia though, but this could serve as a nice backup.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Not intended to be a troll, I just wonder if this is some sort of cheap alternative for gamers to get into the 3D market while Sony gets to shift some of their 3D glasses so they can move onto glassless 3D tellies in the near future.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Am considering replacing my aging Dell PC monitor for this on my desk(or doing the dual monitor thing).

Assuming reviews are kind for PC-use, and having my PS3 audio line sent to my 2.1 PC speakers....eh, actually that will kinda blow.

Also, how terrible are framerates with the 3D mode turned on? I have yet to really hear anything positive outside of SSHD. But Resistance 3(free) and U3 may get me to splurge. Actually fuck...I want to play those on my 50" plasma.

jsnepo

Lince said:
why not Uncharted 3 instead? makes you wonder how good the 3D mode of Unchart3D will be... I already have a 3D Bravia though, but this could serve as a nice backup.

Maybe because the game won't be out yet when this gets released.

antonz said:
Price is going to look even stupider this fall when it releases. TV prices have been on the downward slope non stop for quite awhile. If you can get 43" 3DTVs for 599 now wait til this fall when they are like 399

Where in the hell can you buy a $600 43 inch 3DTV today? Prices on standard HDTV sets have dropped considerably, but I haven't seen a decent 3DTV set for less than a grand with glasses not included.

sun-drop

i've been waiting for the this to hit ps3 .... i'm guessing the 2 playr one screen mode is not something that is exclusive to this display though.

any REAL true 3d ps3 game should be able to do it right, not that bullshit fake 3d crisis uses. the likes of KZ3 should be able to send it's separate frames to a set of eyes rather than both lefts or rights.

ie it's 3d tech used to display two seperate 2d 'screens' ... instead of 3d.

so yeh i'm thinking maybe a ps3 firmware update and then the games need to know the option is avail. so what yr talking really here is a native ability ps3 will have .... they are just spinning the PR to sell this TV.

either way ... AWESOME ... i fucking hate split screen modes

I dont think this will do well for some reason. Not at $500.00, if it were priced at about 379.99 tops then I could see these flying of the shelves.

dangrib

think this has multiple hdmi ports? i just need two and ill be fine. if its only 1 then i may have to miss out. need to hook up my mac mini to it too

dabig2

ChefRamsay said:

R3, $50
Glasses, $70
Cable, $10

Aye. I think people are forgetting that it is a bundle. Very fair price for the extra game capability it has.

Though I personally will be waiting for the 45"+ versions hopefully releasing soon after.

Ninja Scooter said:
Most people don't want to play games or watch movies from the same distance as they use computers.
If someone buys this 24" monitor for their dorm room they're probably going to sit almost as close anyway.

Zoe

Ninja Scooter said:
Most people don't want to play games or watch movies from the same distance as they use computers.

Tell that to the devs who make the font sizes only legible from computer distances.

Allard

opticalmace said:
If someone buys this 24" monitor for their dorm room they're probably going to sit almost as close anyway.

Yep. This may not be the greatest thing to a lot of you but it means a ton to me. A good 3DTV (Even though this doesn't have a tuner, it still Does all the normal crap I would use for a TV anyways) that is actually small and affordable is what I have been looking for, for nearly a year. 27" is my sweet spot but 24" is just fine. This is explicitly a dorm or small bedroom TV, (or computer monitor if you want). My bedroom is very small and I have my current TV and game station less then 2 feet away from my head even when I'm sleeping. I don't need something bigger, this is perfect size for me. The question is... will there be something better by the time this comes out. TV prices are falling rapidly all the time, if something better doesn't come out by the time this releases, I'll jump on it.

Top Bottom