• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is this thing where I've got 40gb free but nothing will download a known issue?

I've been holding off ordering a Pro for a long time, and finally ordered from Amazon UK last week in anticipation of Horizon and Mass Effect.

They seem to be out of stock everywhere at the moment, and I haven't got any indication from Amazon about delivery date.

Anyone know how frequently the restocks are in the UK?

kvn

I've been holding off ordering a Pro for a long time, and finally ordered from Amazon UK last week in anticipation of Horizon and Mass Effect.

They seem to be out of stock everywhere at the moment, and I haven't got any indication from Amazon about delivery date.

Anyone know how frequently the restocks are in the UK?

Stock should be back to normal leves in March. At least so I've heard.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
You need 2x the space of what you're downloading, I heard. I definitely see the behaviour of not being able to download despite having enough space.
The weird thing is it's not even letting me get 1gb updates.

Tubie

So i'll be getting a Pro either next week or at the end of next month and i'll be getting a 4k tv to play it on too, thing is i don't have a big budget for the t.v and don't really know what i'm looking for. All I know is HDR is important lol.

These are the ones i've been looking at mainly.
Samsung UE40KU6400 40" 4K HDR Ultra-HD Flat Smart LED TV 1500 PQI Silver
LG 43UH603V 43 inch Ultra HD 4K Smart TV WebOS

Are they good for the price d'ya think? Any advice or experience with budget 4k tv's?

help pls.

Seems to have the same issues with HDR as my KU6290, it will display HDR content, but not at it's full potential. You have to go up to the KS series for that I think.

If you can't afford $800-$1000 for the KS8000 and want a decent budget 4K TV then I would go for it. I got my KU6290 for $290 and I couldn't be happier with it, it will serve me as a stopgap till HDR technology matures and comes down in price in a couple of years.

The weird thing is it's not even letting me get 1gb updates.

I think it has to do a check on whatever you're updating. So it needs the equivalent space of that game again.

Not 100%

If you want to test the theory download something new from the store that's bigger than the patch that wouldn't work. (you don't actually have to download it obviously, just start it).

Probably better off asking in here.

Thinking of getting a Pro in the next few months, but i'm wondering how easy it is to transfer accounts over to it. I've got my main UK acount, but also a US, Hong Kong and Japanese accounts that i don't wanna lose.

How easy is it to transfer them all across?

If i do a full system transfer to the Pro will I have to sign in to the individual accounts or just my main one? Thing is i don't know my sign in information for my JPN and HK accounts, they were just random emails i made and i don't have them anymore.

I won't need them for a full system transfer will I?

dealer-

Probably better off asking in here.

If i do a full system transfer to the Pro will I have to sign in to the individual accounts or just my main one? Thing is i don't know my sign in information for my JPN and HK accounts, they were just random emails i made and i don't have them anymore.

I won't need them for a full system transfer will I?

It's been a couple of months since I did it but I don't think you have to sign in again with any accounts you transfer over. Just make sure to deactivate any of them on the standard PS4 so you can make them primary on the Pro.

You can get the emails by going into account information on the accounts. You will have to remember the passwords though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What's the current state of Deus Ex: MD on pro?

I know it was allegedly bad at launch, but how about now?

It's a great on Pro now. Even before the performance patches the average FPS were higher on Pro. Now, after patch, it's a much better experience. It checker boards to 4K, only visual blemish is a 'sharpness' filter applied to the image. That's not Pro's fault though.

PS4 Pro is still out of stock (UK) at Amazon, Tesco, Asda, John Lewis, shopto and GAME. Argos is pretty much sold. You may be lucky to get the odd one if you drive far but there's non for delivery online.

I really thought with HZD imminent they'd have stock planned. There's been low stock for two months. Surprised there's not a HZD Pro bundle. I'd be on that like crazy.

It's been a couple of months since I did it but I don't think you have to sign in again with any accounts you transfer over. Just make sure to deactivate any of them on the standard PS4 so you can make them primary on the Pro.

You can get the emails by going into account information on the accounts. You will have to remember the passwords though.

I never even thought lol. I used 5 minute burner emails for foreign accounts so had no idea what they were, thankfully the emails were still there and i remembered my old passwords.

Just created all new emails for them and wrote them down. Thanks for you help.

deadfolk

It's a great on Pro now. Even before the performance patches the average FPS were higher on Pro. Now, after patch, it's a much better experience. It checker boards to 4K, only visual blemish is a 'sharpness' filter applied to the image. That's not Pro's fault though.

Thanks! I think I'm gonna grab it. I watched the Gamersyde 4k video and it looked stunning. Good to hear that it performs well, too.

Tubie

PS4 Pro is still out of stock (UK) at Amazon, Tesco, Asda, John Lewis, shopto and GAME. Argos is pretty much sold. You may be lucky to get the odd one if you drive far but there's non for delivery online.

I really thought with HZD imminent they'd have stock planned. There's been low stock for two months. Surprised there's not a HZD Pro bundle. I'd be on that like crazy.

Even Amazon US ran out of stock again.

I think they failed to predict the demand the system would have, and that is a problem that will probably take months to fix.

I imagine the Pro bundles will start showing up around this fall.

veras

Just picked up a Pro and I'm confused about the optimal way to hook it up to my older 4K TV.

I have a Samsung HU8550 from 2014, which has four HDMI ports, all of which support 4K at 60hz - three of them are HDCP 1.4 with 4:4:4 chroma, and one is HDCP 2.2 with 4:2:0 chroma.

What are the pros/cons of using the 4:4:4 ports compared to the HDCP 2.2 port?

Also, currently this is all running through a 2014 Denon X2100W (which I believe does not support HDCP 2.2 anyway, I think that was added in the 2015 revision), but I can theoretically bypass that if the HDCP 2.2 4:2:0 is a better choice for some reason

The TV also does not support HDR natively, though there is an external box ($400) that adds support for it

Thanks for any input/advaice, so many standards/complications

Edit: Oh also for what it's worth, it's currently hooked up to one of the HDCP 1.4, 4:4:4 ports (via the receiver) and the Pro is outputting in the 2160 YUV420 mode, with the RGB mode unavailable

Tubie

Just picked up a Pro and I'm confused about the optimal way to hook it up to my older 4K TV.

I have a Samsung HU8550 from 2014, which has four HDMI ports, all of which support 4K at 60hz - three of them are HDCP 1.4 with 4:4:4 chroma, and one is HDCP 2.2 with 4:2:0 chroma.

What are the pros/cons of using the 4:4:4 ports compared to the HDCP 2.2 port?

Also, currently this is all running through a 2014 Denon X2100W (which I believe does not support HDCP 2.2 anyway, I think that was added in the 2015 revision), but I can theoretically bypass that if the HDCP 2.2 4:2:0 is a better choice for some reason

The TV also does not support HDR natively, though there is an external box ($400) that adds support for it

Thanks for any input/advaice, so many standards/complications

Edit: Oh also for what it's worth, it's currently hooked up to one of the HDCP 1.4, 4:4:4 ports (via the receiver) and the Pro is outputting in the 2160 YUV420 mode, with the RGB mode unavailable

I have no answer for your issue, but it reminded me of this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1310135 I know it helped me pick between the YUV420 and RGB options for 4k output (my TV has both available).

Another option for you might be to ask in the TV thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1323499 a lot of helpful people in there.

Amazon UK have stock.

I ordered a while back and got a notification yesterday that it will be delivered today!

That gives me enough time to get everything transferred, sort out an HDMI splitter for HDR and PSVR, and get the TV settings right before Horizon is delivered. Happy days!

So I bought one. Now I don't even have a tv at the moment, so playing on a 1400p monitor, and am looking for a new tv. Now my question is how many of the games features a downscaling/supersample option so far? As I do kind of prefer that over the rare actual 4k game. Basically I am not sure if to get a 4k tv or just a 1080p one, especially as I am not going to be spending that much money on a high end tv.

So just traded in my launch PS4 for a Pro due to the current gamestop offer [$175 for a PS4 trade-in]

I had a 2TB in my old PS4 which I still have as I reinstalled the original 500GB HDD prior to trading it in.

What is generally thought to be a better way to move PS4's essentially? Just putting in the 2TB HDD as it is in the PS4? Or should I put the 2TB in, intialize it, and reinstall off a backup from the 2TB I just took?

I'm leaning towards the first option but wanted to get other opinions.

So just traded in my launch PS4 for a Pro due to the current gamestop offer [$175 for a PS4 trade-in]

I had a 2TB in my old PS4 which I still have as I reinstalled the original 500GB HDD prior to trading it in.

What is generally thought to be a better way to move PS4's essentially? Just putting in the 2TB HDD as it is in the PS4? Or should I put the 2TB in, intialize it, and reinstall off a backup from the 2TB I just took?

I'm leaning towards the first option but wanted to get other opinions.

I'm ready to be told I'm wrong, but I don't think option 1 will work: an HDD from another PS4 will always have to be formatted when it's installed in a new machine.

I think you'll need to format and install from backup.

I'm currently transferring everything from my launch PS4 to my new Pro over the LAN. 118 minutes remaining for 370gb. Half-past midnight here, so I'll leave it to run overnight.

Hopey

Im pretty upset my pro just up and died today, gotta send it in...

Same problem as my original PS4, the power supply just kaput.

Pro is in stock at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GVQVL0Y/

batrush

My PS4 Pro sometimes stops detecting disks after I've left it in suspend mode (with no game playing). I reboot and the problem is solved but.. is this a hardware issue?

Hopey

Ok i dont know what or why.. but spraying canned air into the back made it work again. It showed PSU issues before and wouldn't power on after.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Good that you were able to get it fixed, but if same issue has happened w/ multiple units, maybe that power outlet or strip you're connecting your PS4's to is not regulating voltage properly ? Might be giving spikes etc.

8bitogre

Banned
As someone who has no plans on buying a 4K TV in the near future, but hates their super loud OG PS4 that sometimes lags when playing certain games (lookin' at your FFXV), is it still worth upgrading? It used to be "no" but with Boost mode that seems like it might be different these days.

Hopey

Good that you were able to get it fixed, but if same issue has happened w/ multiple units, maybe that power outlet or strip you're connecting your PS4's to is not regulating voltage properly ? Might be giving spikes etc.

thats what i thought but i tried different areas and it wouldn't power past 1 second of the blue light. I tried leaving it unplugged for hours also and no go as well. But i thought what the hell, sprayed some canned air near the back and boom it turns on just fine.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who has no plans on buying a 4K TV in the near future, but hates their super loud OG PS4 that sometimes lags when playing certain games (lookin' at your FFXV), is it still worth upgrading? It used to be "no" but with Boost mode that seems like it might be different these days.

I upgraded in December for the same reason despite no 4K. Loud add of PS4 and wanted the boost for FFXV. No regrets so far. Nice boost there, Ratchet and Clank and The Last Guardian so far. Battleborne as well with the 60FPS patch.

I'm ready to be told I'm wrong, but I don't think option 1 will work: an HDD from another PS4 will always have to be formatted when it's installed in a new machine.

I think you'll need to format and install from backup.

I'm currently transferring everything from my launch PS4 to my new Pro over the LAN. 118 minutes remaining for 370gb. Half-past midnight here, so I'll leave it to run overnight.

You're correct.

I didn't wait on getting an answer and as either approach required me putting in the 2TB HDD into the PS4 Pro and turning it on as the first step, that's what I did.

It made me intialize the HDD, update to 4.07 and then I had to transfer from my backup which took about 4 hours [750GBs or so of data]

Wasn't too bad I suppose

The LAN transfer from launch unit to Pro completed OK overnight.

The one problem I had was that when I checked this morning the TV was on displaying the "press the PS button" message. I put the TV in standby last night, so I guess when the Pro restarted after the transfer it woke the TV up via HDMI-CEC. Not a big problem now I'm on LCD, but if it was an old plasma screen I'd have been worried about burn-in.

Also the source PS4 looks like it's completely powered down, rather than in rest mode. Probably worth making sure that you've got everything saved and closed if you generally use rest mode.

KevinG

Who in here is using the Pro with the LG B6? Is it amazing?

I just bought one, and I'm excited. Coming from a low-end Phillips 1080p 40" from 2011.

Magnus

Do I need to do anything to get the Pro patches for games, or can I just take for granted that my Pro will grab what it needs to online?

Just installed Overwatch and it seems to look and play exactly as it did when I played the beta last year on my OG PS4. Which is to say, great, but I don't see a perceptible jump?

Magnus

Also, I had no idea there were supply problems for the Pro. I always see them just sitting around in stores here in Toronto.

Kudo

Do I need to do anything to get the Pro patches for games, or can I just take for granted that my Pro will grab what it needs to online?

Just installed Overwatch and it seems to look and play exactly as it did when I played the beta last year on my OG PS4. Which is to say, great, but I don't see a perceptible jump?

Patches will download automatically.
Overwatch only supports 4K UI and really minor improvements, so that's not a good game to do a comparison on. Already runs solid 60fps on both OG and Pro.

Proper texture filtering and a 4K HUD, it's a very basic pro patch for that game.

Magnus

Patches will download automatically.
Overwatch only supports 4K UI and really minor improvements, so that's not a good game to do a comparison on. Already runs solid 60fps on both OG and Pro.

Proper texture filtering and a 4K HUD, it's a very basic pro patch for that game.

Gotcha. Game runs nicely during matches, but wow, the slowdown on menu screens, hero select and loot boxes (in particular) is awful.

emats12

Neo Member
Who in here is using the Pro with the LG B6? Is it amazing?

I just bought one, and I'm excited. Coming from a low-end Phillips 1080p 40" from 2011.

I'm using a pro on an EF9500 OLED and it's mind blowing. base PS4 looked great on it already but the pro is another level

So... due to Amazon's bloody same-day delivery taking impulse buys to the next level I am a proud new owner of a PS4 Pro! I still have a 1080p TV and don't plan to get a new TV before the next holidays so I hope it is worth it. At this point I'm more interested in performance improvements rather than higher resolutions. I tried The Last Guardian and the frame-rate is finally decent, previously it was so bad it was really distracting. I'm really happy with this and of course can't wait for Horizon. :)

Top Bottom