• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro Reviews

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Biggest disappointment for me is the intentional handy capping of un-patched games. I knew this ahead of time but locking un-patched games to older specs is still disappointing news. Seems the UI and boot time of the system is the same too which is also disappointing. As a primary PC user having games that had frame rate issues in areas cleaned up with better hardware would be really nice. As would getting into the menu faster to join a party or send a message mid game. Boot times being quicker would be a bonus but not a big of a deal. Little things that Sony could have done to make the Pro even better were ignored for "Compatibility" even though the Xbox One S handled it fine.

Xbox One S doesn't have faster boot times or anything of the sort though, because it has the same HDD and general hardware. Also, the improvements to games are few and far between, and don't happen for most titles because the GPU upclock is very small, which is why MS allowed it.

Xbox One S and Pro are offering very different types of functionality.

A guy with a Pro (he's confirmed to have one) will be live streaming BF1 in 2 mins (Removed link) I have a suspicion that Pro support is on disc for BF1 so I'll def be looking out for any improvements in fps.

Edit: I removed the link to the stream as he is broadcasting at 720p and 30fps. Doesn't make any sense to analyze with the type of quality.

CNet, the website that gave the iphone 7 the same review score as the iphone 6?

Removing features, same screen, minor differences in hardware..........

Yeah. I'll get my tech info from Digital Foundry thanks very much.

Meh. Apples and oranges.

It's not like Digital Foundry was never wrong about anything, and that's fine. They're opinions. CNET can hire a super-talented reviewer just as easily as DF can, so try to be open-minded!

Humdinger

Gold Member
Most reviews seem pretty good. Some have a less enthusiastic response than I'd hoped, but oh well. That's opinion for you.

I think the situation reviewers face is a little difficult, because the games they have to test are pretty limited. The value proposition should become much clearer over the next 6 months or so.

I paid most attention to the DF review, myself.

Biggest disappointment for me is the intentional handy capping of un-patched games. I knew this ahead of time but locking un-patched games to older specs is still disappointing news. Seems the UI and boot time of the system is the same too which is also disappointing. As a primary PC user having games that had frame rate issues in areas cleaned up with better hardware would be really nice. As would getting into the menu faster to join a party or send a message mid game. Boot times being quicker would be a bonus but not a big of a deal. Little things that Sony could have done to make the Pro even better were ignored for "Compatibility" even though the Xbox One S handled it fine.

Doubt it's a hard fast rule, but I agree with it. It's better than letting the game run too fast. Results would be unpredictable.

Perhaps some games would just work and they could be whitelisted but remain unpatched. Pretty happy with the games list supported so far. Going forward, with new games, we're covered.

Lister

Banned
Xbox One S doesn't have faster boot times or anything of the sort though, because it has the same HDD and general hardware. Also, the improvements to games are few and far between, and don't happen for most titles because the GPU upclock is very small, which is why MS allowed it.

Xbox One S and Pro are offering very different types of functionality.

I can collaborate this. I got an Xbox One S this weekend, hoping atleast the UI would be more responsive... no dice. :(

is there ever a review thread that isn't a mess?

a lot of positive reports for 1080p displays though, which is nice. Paid off my pre-order today.

Meh. Apples and oranges.

It's not like Digital Foundry was never wrong about anything, and that's fine. They're opinions. CNET can hire a super-talented reviewer just as easily as DF can, so try to be open-minded!

Not really, People claimed consoles are going the way of the mobile phone, reviews should reflect that.

This is a much larger upgrade than any iphone has ever mustered yet the review is not written the same way.

icespide

Banned
again with this? the fact that the boost on one S is so miniscule is precisely why there is no risk of compatibility issues

Curufinwe

The CNET review is not surprising if you listened to the ignorance and misinformation from the reviewer regarding the PS4 Pro on the last episode of the Giant Beastcast.

Don't wanna be critical of CNET opinion, but I'm very surprised these guys didn't see any difference in Infamous with hdr on.

Unlike Uncharted or the Last of Us, where the difference is not readily apparent, that game has huge differences even on original PS4, imo. (And I don't even have Oled TVs.)

Everything else is in the eye of beholder, in my opinion, I sure hope I can spot the differences since I sit quite close to my KS 7000.

HDR is on both major consoles that are already out. Why would you upgrade for something you already have?

Not really, People claimed consoles are going the way of the mobile phone, reviews should reflect that.

This is a much larger upgrade than any iphone has ever mustered yet the review is not written the same way.
Aaah right, that's your point. I don't know. Is it the same reviewer?

I get your point though. It's a relatively big upgrade for a gadget, but many reviewers appear to be stuck in a 90's mindset re: consoles.

That's a bit of a double standard I guess, yeah.

Frostburn

Lol man, XB1S minor upgrade isn't comparable to PS4 Pro's upgrade. Sony, or better say Cerny, has a very good reason to go with this decision.

Not comparable? The S is a very minor upgrade over the OG but at least it allowed better frame rates in underperforming titles with the spec bump. Sony is locking out that potential unless a dev patches their game. As an example: In Destiny's latest expansion the frame rate can drop to single digit numbers in the raid and having that extra power completely unavailable is a disappointment to any fan of the game. I'm not saying implementing that extra power would be super easy for the Pro but the lack of it is disappointing as a gamer. I'm super excited about the potential of the pro and games like RotTR look absolutely amazing, just wish more devs were going back to patch their games or Sony would allow a small spec bump to un-patched games.

again with this? the fact that the boost on one S is so miniscule is precisely why there is no risk of compatibility issues

Yup, again with this. The PS4 Pro is the first incremental upgrade I've seen that locks down un-patched games to IDENTICAL performance for the sake of compatibility, is it wrong as a consumer to be disappointed in this? Maybe I'm just expecting too much from Sony, the engineering on the PS4 Pro is a feat and I'm looking forward to mine arriving Thursday but I STILL wish they'd give a percentage of the new power to older games.

QaaQer

I wasn't dissing him I just don't think he had a lot of research done on the system after listening to the beastcast. Also he has always been more focused on the content of games then the performance.

I'll dis him then.

CNET is a relic, there are way better sources for this kind of information like Digital Foundry. & Jeff has no expertise in this beyond being a journo and online personality.

I'm sure something similar could be said for the writers of the more positive reviews as well.

Once people realize this, everything will make more sense.

I mean but it's not. It's for new consumers who never had a Playstation because $100 for the upgrade moving forward is better than buying the older model. But it's also for enthusiasts.

Saying that it's for one type of person is so off the mark. It's like recommending someone a 2013 TV when the 2016 is better in a lot of aspects for a $100 bucks more.

--

Also why are people still talking about the Xbox One s minor bump which literally makes it on par with the OG PS4? 💀

One or two games come out with small performance boosts over one or two ps4 games and people are running away with it. There are still games that run the same on PS4 without the need of a boost that the Xbox One S is now on parity with... Really tho?

icespide

Banned
Not comparable? The S is a very minor upgrade over the OG but at least it allowed better frame rates in underperforming titles with the spec bump. Sony is locking out that potential unless a dev patches their game. As an example: In Destiny's latest expansion the frame rate can drop to single digit numbers in the raid and having that extra power completely unavailable is a disappointment to any fan of the game. I'm not saying implementing that extra power would be super easy for the Pro but the lack of it is disappointing as a gamer. I'm super excited about the potential of the pro and games like RotTR look absolutely amazing, just wish more devs were going back to patch their games or Sony would allow a small spec bump to un-patched games.

Yup, again with this. The PS4 Pro is the first incremental upgrade I've seen that locks down un-patched games to IDENTICAL performance for the sake of compatibility, is it wrong as a consumer to be disappointed in this?
it's fine to be disappointed with it, but to allude to the One S as some across the board performance enhancement is silly

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I can collaborate this. I got an Xbox One S this weekend, hoping atleast the UI would be more responsive... no dice. :(

:p

Personally though, the PS4 UI is pretty fast as is, so i think it can't really get that much noticeably faster. Xbox one though, its very annoying scrolling through my step brother's XB1

Nevyr

Banned
Seems like a waste of money to upgrade. Probably a good investment for PS4 newcomers, as some of the reviews have mentioned.

Everyone got to decide if the 1080p performance boost is enogh ( I assume most people got a 1080p tv by now )

Otherwise for VR and 4k owners it seems like a clear upgrade.

I would say, that the 1080 screenshots shown this weekend sold me on getting one, traded in my ps4 this weekend after seeing them.

jdmonmou

But consoles aren't going to the mobile phone release model. This has been stated by Phil Spencer and Mark Cerny. I just hope they stay true to their word.

Also, I don't see the Pro as being a larger upgrade than what is offered by a newer iPhone since the benefits of that new iPhone are more immediate (e.g. faster browser loading times, longer batter life, lighter body style, etc.). Also, newer iPhones can have extra features through new versions of iOS that may not be available on older models (e.g. multi-tasking, etc.). All the Pro is offering is better visuals and all the software and system features will be the same. Therefore if you are happy with your PS4 there's no reason to upgrade.

Frostburn

it's fine to be disappointed with it, but to allude to the One S as some across the board performance enhancement is silly

It is the only comparison to make in the console space until the Scorpio comes out unfortunately. I'm not sure of the best solution, I just wish there was one as it would benefit more for all of us fans of Destiny, Bloodborne, etc.

RootCause

Everyone got to decide if the 1080p performance boost is enogh ( I assume most people got a 1080p tv by now )

Otherwise for VR and 4k owners it seems like a clear upgrade.

I would say, that the 1080 screenshots shown this weekend sold me on getting one, traded in my ps4 this weekend after seeing them.
Can you link me to the screenshots? :)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
lots of these reviewers are still salty that sony won even though they wanted ms to, so you have to take their reviews with a big old grain of salt (in both senses lol)

Adopting early for Final Fantasy XV. The Titanfall 2 shots were nice too. It also has better wifi, which is a plus, and while I won't have a 4KTV yet, the slightly improved visuals and performance is good enough for me. I need XV running in the best shape it can.

What´s up with Dice?. Are they ever going to say something or don´t want to sell their game in PS4 Pro?.

Is not like is making them a favor showing people running its game unpatched like it is the Pro version.

danowat

Banned
lots of these reviewers are still salty that sony won even though they wanted ms to, so you have to take their reviews with a big old grain of salt (in both senses lol)

Some of the posts in this thread genuinely make my mind boggle, why does it hurt people when outlets write a review that is counter to their opinion?, it's just so bizarre.

Who is "they", and why did "they" want MS to "win" rather than Sony?

Seems like a waste of money to upgrade. Probably a good investment for PS4 newcomers, as some of the reviews have mentioned.

I don't get this response because it's implicitly objective for something incredible subjective. I've had a PS4 since launch. By selling it and a game or so, I will be able to get for around 250. For the price of comparable graphics card, I can get a whole system essentially 2x the power, 2x the hard drive space, better wifi, better performance, a new controller, and higher quality streaming capability. Seems to me, for the cost it's a pretty great deal. That's pretty subjective, but I think I have some valid points there, but not everyone will agree. I think implying an objectively waste of money is obtuse.

Top Bottom