• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 System Update 5.50 Beta Adds A Supersampling Option For PS4 Pro

So I just want to make sure I understand this fully.

So basically what this mode does is force the “favor resolution mode” in every game Pro Enhanced game that offers options, right?

So a game like Prey has no option. That game will now just automatically treat a 1080p display like it had 4K displays, right?

On the flip side, the games that have options (TLOU, RoTTR, The Show) etc does enabling the SS in system menu force the 4K/favor reaolution mode? Like if I boot up The Show will I only get the 4K option in the game menu? Or do you still get to choose, just now the 4K mode will actually downsample on your 1080p monitor, where as last year in The Show it did nothing?

So I guess the “long story short/simplified” version of what I’m asking is:

Basically this just tricks the Pro into thinking your display is 4K, right?

thisisbommy

Neo Member
Yes is the answer to your last question. And if the game offers performance/resolution modes when connected to 4K TVs it will also offer the same connected to a 1080 set with this setting enabled.

thelastword

Banned

You know it's crazy, but I said this. People threw a fit when ND gave a 1080p 60fps mode for PRO owners with said TV's. You got better shadows with that too, no drops whatsoever, but it did not supersample......"No worries?" as TOM from DF would say? NO....He threw a fit.....

People complain no matter what, is what I'm seeing. TLOUR dropped some frames in the 60fps mode on first patch, DF and people complained that it performed worse than PS4 vanilla, that was rectified later on, as the 1800p mode runs better on PRO than vanilla PS4 at 1080p resolution now. So yes, people felt the PRO 60fps mode performed worse, and that's fine, and that was patched. So you would think these "framerate is king" persons would love playing the smoother running game at 1800p on PRO or even better yet, opt for the 60fps locked mode on PRO by selecting 1080p or if they had a 1080p TV, I mean, they have a locked 60fps game with best shadows, but no....The framerate is king mob, just moved on from "framerate is king, why is vanilla PS4 performing better than PRO" to "I want supersampling" for my 1080p TV.........Butttttt, you just said you wanted the framerate rectified and made a loud ruckus about it?

It's crazy, but since this beta started, all I seem to be hearing is how they are now locked out of the 1080p modes now.....So what exactly did people expect? You want supersampling, you're only going to get that with high rez modes, where the framerate will be worse than performance mode or maybe worse than all the bells and whistles mode....I told folk, maybe even in this thread, that lots of games which didn't have supersampling had a nice 1080p mode with extras, sometimes, better framerate (60fps), better AA, better AF, better graphical settings like (shadows, AO) etc...Now that they get the supersampling they always wanted, they now want these 1080p modes, but all you ever spoke about was supersampling and it's not like all high rez modes runs like TLG. Just like people blew the "so many games don't supersample on PS4 PRO" out of proportion, Just like DF blew the "So many games performing worse on PRO at launch......that it's becoming a trend type spiel".......As par for the course again, people are now asking for the same modes which they said they would not play, they were not satisfied with because they lacked supersampling..... So sometimes, I wonder if the people who complained, those who wanted SS and who were so fierce about it, did they really want it at all......

Last edited:

onQ123

You know it's crazy, but I said this. People threw a fit when ND gave a 1080p 60fps mode for PRO owners with said TV's. You got better shadows with that too, no drops whatsoever, but it did not supersample......"No worries?" as TOM from DF would say? NO....He threw a fit.....

People complain no matter what, is what I'm seeing. TLOUR dropped some frames in the 60fps mode on first patch, DF and people complained that it performed worse than PS4 vanilla, that was rectified later on, as the 1800p mode runs better on PRO than vanilla PS4 at 1080p resolution now. So yes, people felt the PRO 60fps mode performed worse, and that's fine, and that was patched. So you would think these "framerate is king" persons would love playing the smoother running game at 1800p on PRO or even better yet, opt for the 60fps locked mode on PRO by selecting 1080p or if they had 1080p TV, they have a locked 60fps game with best shadows, but no....The framerate is king mob, just moved on from to "framerate is king, why sis vanilla PS4 performing better than PRO" to "I want supersampling" for my 1080p TV.........Butttttt, you just said you wanted the framerate rectified and made a loud ruckus about it?

It's crazy, but since this beta started, all I seem to be hearing is how they are now locked out of the 1080p modes now.....So what exactly did people expect? You want supersampling, you're only going to get that with high rez modes, where the framerate will be worse than performance mode or maybe worse than all the bells and whistles mode....I told folk, maybe even in this thread, that lots of games which didn't have supersampling had a nice 1080p mode with extras, sometimes, better framerate (60fps), better AA, better AF, better graphical settings like (shadows, AO) etc...Now that they get the supersampling they always wanted, they now want these 1080p modes, but all you ever spoke about was supersampling and it's not like all high rez modes runs like TLG. Just like people blew the "so many games don't supersample on PS4 PRO" out of proportion, Just like DF blew the "So many games performing worse on PRO at launch......that it's becoming a trend type spiel".......As par for the course again, people are now asking for the same modes which they said they would not play, they were not satisfied with because they lacked supersampling.....>Sometimes, I wonder if the people who complained, who wanted SS, and who were so fierce about it, really wanted it at all..... .

I posted the slide that showed that a system level solution was coming awhile ago

Yes is the answer to your last question. And if the game offers performance/resolution modes when connected to 4K TVs it will also offer the same connected to a 1080 set with this setting enabled.

Gotcha.

So if I have a 1080p display and I have SS enabled I won't be able to select "favor performance" mode in a game like RoTTR, right? Since it treats my display like a 4k I won't 1080 display op

People complain no matter what, is what I'm seeing. TLOUR dropped some frames in the 60fps mode on first patch, DF and people complained that it performed worse than PS4 vanilla, that was rectified later on, as the 1800p mode runs better on PRO than vanilla PS4 at 1080p resolution now. So yes, people felt the PRO 60fps mode performed worse, and that's fine, and that was patched. So you would think these "framerate is king" persons would love playing the smoother running game at 1800p on PRO or even better yet, opt for the 60fps locked mode on PRO by selecting 1080p or if they had 1080p TV, they have a locked 60fps game with best shadows, but no....The framerate is king mob, just moved on from to "framerate is king, why sis vanilla PS4 performing better than PRO" to "I want supersampling" for my 1080p TV.........Butttttt, you just said you wanted the framerate rectified and made a loud ruckus about it?

It's crazy, but since this beta started, all I seem to be hearing is how they are now locked out of the 1080p modes now.....So what exactly did people expect? You want supersampling, you're only going to get that with high rez modes, where the framerate will be worse than performance mode or maybe worse than all the bells and whistles mode....I told folk, maybe even in this thread, that lots of games which didn't have supersampling had a nice 1080p mode with extras, sometimes, better framerate (60fps), better AA, better AF, better graphical settings like (shadows, AO) etc...Now that they get the supersampling they always wanted, they now want these 1080p modes, but all you ever spoke about was supersampling and it's not like all high rez modes runs like TLG. Just like people blew the "so many games don't supersample on PS4 PRO" out of proportion, Just like DF blew the "So many games performing worse on PRO at launch......that it's becoming a trend type spiel".......As par for the course again, people are now asking for the same modes which they said they would not play, they were not satisfied with because they lacked supersampling.....>Sometimes, I wonder if the people who complained, who wanted SS, and who were so fierce about it, really wanted it at all..... .

People wanted options. We wanted option to SS or improve frame rate. Many games didn’t offer those options for 1080p displays

You Are Wrong

Toe-Knee

Gotcha.

So if I have a 1080p display and I have SS enabled I won't be able to select "favor performance" mode in a game like RoTTR, right? Since it treats my display like a 4k I won't 1080 display op

You can still select it. You can select all the modes on a 4k TV.
The point of this is that it gives you all of the options available that you would have if you had a 4k TV.

cozomel

I got two UK codes for whoever wants them

CD3T CTN9 Q4E6

NFFJ 22NJ HE5M

If you get the code please post it so others dont waste their time. Thank you.

And p.s. how do you edit these posts? I cant figure it out for the life of me.

cozomel

Wow, the threads gone dead. Come on Sony, people are losing interests in these updates and I say its becuase you take forever to update things that should have been there since the beginning and people are getting tired of it. Supersampling is great and all, but it should have been there since the beginning and why not do it like MS did, where players have access to all the modes regardless of their television. So no forced AF (at least 8x) yet and why only access to half of Pro's CUs? Give us all 36 with a warning that it may cause some bugs.

onQ123

Wow, the threads gone dead. Come on Sony, people are losing interests in these updates and I say its becuase you take forever to update things that should have been there since the beginning and people are getting tired of it. Supersampling is great and all, but it should have been there since the beginning and why not do it like MS did, where players have access to all the modes regardless of their television. So no forced AF (at least 8x) yet and why only access to half of Pro's CUs? Give us all 36 with a warning that it may cause some bugs.

It's not the thread that's dead it's Neogaf as a whole that is dead in comparison to what it used to be.

With the beta installed youtube or streaming in general has gone to the dumps just a heads up reverted back to the old firmware and everything works like it should

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

WTF cares? I don't play games and wonder how many CUs are used. This is all console war bullshit. If someone did not tell you something was missing or there, you would not know. In the end all you have is DF spoon feeding you to drive up clicks.

Blam

It's not the thread that's dead it's Neogaf as a whole that is dead in comparison to what it used to be.
This, if you compare it to resetera...Neogaf is completely dead in threads.

Well yes if you compare it to ERA sure that's going to be the same for literally any forum. They won't amass to the entire site that use to come here lmao. They've literally plateau'd in member growth since it's just the people who were here who moved over. OldGAF=ResetERA.

Did you expect it to some how run into 30K+ people who wanted to post here and be really active contributing members? Hella unlikely. You've gotta give it some time.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Has anybody got this to work on anything? Do you have to have a Pro for this. I only have vanilla PS4.

I got Bloodborne, I would be interested to see this get a boost, but I'm on a 4k display. Someone in the comments said it doesn't work on 4k Tv's only 1080p.

That doesn't seem to make sense to me, why would they punish owners of a better TV.

Can someone confirm?

thisisbommy

Neo Member
Has anybody got this to work on anything? Do you have to have a Pro for this. I only have vanilla PS4.

I got Bloodborne, I would be interested to see this get a boost, but I'm on a 4k display. Someone in the comments said it doesn't work on 4k Tv's only 1080p.

That doesn't seem to make sense to me, why would they punish owners of a better TV.

Can someone confirm?
The feature makes Pro games that output higher res than 1080p look better on 1080p TVs. It’s for Pro owners who don’t have a 4K TV. The standard PS4 doesn’t have that extra power so can’t benefit from it.

Can someone confirm?
They aren't punishing anything, you seem to be confused on what this feature actually is. This feature is for PS4 Pro users that have a 1080p TV.

For some reason some Pro-patched games are checking what display you have connected and disabling some Pro enhancements if you only have a 1080p TV connected. For example Rocket League checks what your output resolution is, and renders in 4K only if you have a 4K TV connected, and doesn't do so if you have a 1080p TV connected. Therefore 1080p TV owners don't get to enjoy the Pro enhancements of Rocket League.

This supersampling feature bypasses this check by making the PS4 Pro tell the game that you have a 4K TV connected even though you actually don't. So you get to enjoy the anti-aliasing benefits of the higher resolution even with a 1080p TV.

Bloodborne does not have any Pro enhancements at all, so this supersampling option does nothing.

Last edited:

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
Has there been any information on when the update will be available to all? I hadn't managed to get myself into the beta and was wondering how long these beta tests often last.

cozomel

WTF cares? I don't play games and wonder how many CUs are used. This is all console war bullshit. If someone did not tell you something was missing or there, you would not know. In the end all you have is DF spoon feeding you to drive up clicks.
Dude, first of all relax! There's no reason for you to be so both, offended and defensive in the first place. And are you crazy? You think the only reason I or people would want the system to use its full resources (all of its CUs and force AF) is only because of the "console wars"? Im sorry but are you stupid? Do you even know what that means? I want games on the system to be running at their full potential and not less. Heck, Sony was even reluctant to bring out boost mode at first and look just how long it took to finally implement SS. You gonna complain about having them? And claim the only benefit to having them is so people can use them against each other in a console war?

TimFL

Dude, first of all relax! There's no reason for you to be so both, offended and defensive in the first place. And are you crazy? You think the only reason I or people would want the system to use its full resources (all of its CUs and force AF) is only because of the "console wars"? Im sorry but are you stupid? Do you even know what that means? I want games on the system to be running at their full potential and not less. Heck, Sony was even reluctant to bring out boost mode at first and look just how long it took to finally implement SS. You gonna complain about having them? And claim the only benefit to having them is so people can use them against each other in a console war?
The reason they took so long for boost mode and/or offering more power for non-patched games is the fact that you can't be sure that every non-patched game works properly that way. You know, there are games that could break with more performance added (if not locked internally in the game itself). I've heard of Fallout 4 locking animation speed to FPS which they afaik had to patch cause it looked ridiculous at 100fps+ (that was on PC though, but could very well happen on PS4 and co.).
Fallout 4 example: YouTube

You have to cater to the dumbest game devs out there, that's why such limitations are in place. Game development is pretty complex, you can't just throw more power at something as locked down as a game console and say "should run better". There may very well be games that go to hell that way because of the way they're designed.

That being said, how's the performance/stability on this? I'd be willing to try the SS mode on my 1080p screen but I don't want to give up any stability. This would essentially be the first beta I hop on, is it smooth sailing in terms of getting back on the main track once that hits?

Last edited:

INC

Not had any major issues

but it doesn't always notify me when it's enabled on games that have in the past said it's enabled

And games like bf4, says it's enabled, but didn't think it had pro patch

Poppyseed

Not had any major issues

but it doesn't always notify me when it's enabled on games that have in the past said it's enabled

And games like bf4, says it's enabled, but didn't think it had pro patch

Noticed the same thing. Had fired up Monster Hunter World the first time, and got the banner. Second time onwards it doesn’t tell me at all. No game seems to anymore.

Hissing Sid

Ok so I’ve been running this update for a few weeks now and I’m having a few issues.

My controller is turning itself off as soon as the console is powered on.

Occasionally the Pro will boot straight to the camera face recognition profile setup.

Nothing I’m going to burst into tears over but still a bit annoying.

Console was solid before and this is the first time I’ve experienced any issues with a Sony update.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Wait folks are saying this is for 1080p screens only....soooo isn't 2k 1440p? I'm assuming this is for those who might play on a monitor? Don't think I've heard of a 1440p TV.

Dubloon7

Banned
no issues on my end with my 4k tv. the only issue i come across is my remote play on my laptop fails sometimes, compared to never failing on the previous firmware.

DonF

Ok so I’ve been running this update for a few weeks now and I’m having a few issues.

My controller is turning itself off as soon as the console is powered on.

Occasionally the Pro will boot straight to the camera face recognition profile setup.

Nothing I’m going to burst into tears over but still a bit annoying.

Console was solid before and this is the first time I’ve experienced any issues with a Sony update.
I've had none of those issues. Weird. How do you turn on the console? I always turn it on with the controller. I don't have a camera, so I don't have that option.

Hissing Sid

I've had none of those issues. Weird. How do you turn on the console? I always turn it on with the controller. I don't have a camera, so I don't have that option.

Yeah it’s odd.

I turn the console on with the controller.

Console boots, controller turns off.

No issues before 5.50

Done all the troubleshooting but no joy.

I’ve had a quick gander around the net and some other peeps are experiencing controller issues after the update so I’m not too bovvered as Sony are probably aware.

Hopefully It’ll be addressed in a future update.

Last edited:

entropus

Neo Member
Yeah it’s odd.

No issues before 5.50

I’ve had a quick gander around the net and some other peeps are experiencing controller issues after the update so I’m not too bovvered as Sony are probably aware.

Could be that the controller is damaged. Did you try using another dualshock 4?

Xerazal

Neo Member
Yeah it’s odd.

No issues before 5.50

I had a weird issue with my pro after the 5.50 update. It was in rest mode. When I woke it up from rest mode though, the image was super glitchy. It was just on the main PS4 UI, but everything was purple and orange. It reminded me of a damaged GPU and I thought "ah shit, not even a year and it died..."

Rebooted the console and its been fine ever since. Supersampling mode was turned off, mostly because I don't really care for it since it forces games to think they're on a 4k screen, and some games don't have options to push framerate over visuals while others do. But this is the first time i've ever had this issue, so i'm suspecting 5.50 did it.

Xerazal

Neo Member
Wait folks are saying this is for 1080p screens only....soooo isn't 2k 1440p? I'm assuming this is for those who might play on a monitor? Don't think I've heard of a 1440p TV.
I use my pro on a 1440p display (the same one my pc is using). Because you can't hit 4k, it'll just default to 1080p. PS4 Pro doesn't support 2560x1440, just 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 4k. No in betweens.

So yes, you can enable supersampling mode on your 1440p display if you decide to.

Hissing Sid

But this is the first time i've ever had this issue, so i'm suspecting 5.50 did it.

Yeah never had any issues before the update.

I suppose in my case it is possible that there’s an actual problem with the controller itself, and that a malfunction with the hardware just happened to coincide with installing the update.

I think I’ve got a new, unused controller hanging around the house somewhere, might be worth digging it out to check.

Not at the point of wiping the console yet but it is annoying and it’s gotten progressively worse. To begin with the controller would only turn off occasionally but now it does it every time the console boots to the home screen.

A quick press of the home button and it’s business as usual but still, it’s niggling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom