• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 3D Audio - Few Questions and a Headset To Get?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Im using a HD599 headphone not the sony one

I had the same experience with Astro A40 that felt the difference to be huge in both clarity and bass vs Pulse 3D. Gave away the Astro A40 + Mixer to my nephew to use it on his PS4 Pro.

Try to play around with the EQ, but if you could test the Pulse 3D it would be better for you to decide if you think it's worth ditching your current headset (use ot for music/PC instead). I even enjoy using the Pulse 3D with my PC when I feel lile listening to music with better quality than just small headphones.

Last edited:

Luipadre

I had the same experience with Astro A40 that felt the difference to be huge in both clarity and bass vs Pulse 3D. Gave away the Astro A40 + Mixer to my nephew to use it on his PS4 Pro.

Try to play around with the EQ, but if you could test the Pulse 3D it would be better for you to decide if you think it's worth ditching your current headset (use ot for music/PC instead). I even enjoy using the Pulse 3D with my PC when I feel lile listening to music with better quality than just small headphones.

I aint gonna ditch a HD599 for an inferior Sony pulse headset :)

Swift_Star

Banned
Sonys 3D audio is just a fancy word that makes your sound muffled and worse. Positional audio is better than without it but the sound quality takes a huge hit. You can hear it better with better headphones
That was the case with 7.1 virtual surround but it’s absolutely not the case with 3D audio.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

You know what would be perfect for PS5? Sony's most famous referrence headset, MDR-7506. You need a neutral headset I think to perfectly enjoy it, but you can tune that in the EQ though. Also if you are using a high-end headset it might not get the power needed to sound loud enough for your preferrence.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You know what would be perfect for PS5? Sony's most famous referrence headset, MDR-7506. You need a neutral headset I think to perfectly enjoy it, but you can tune that in the EQ though. Also if you are using a high-end headset it might not get the power needed to sound loud enough for your preferrence.
You bet your ass everyone at from software is using it. Just watch sekiro behind the scenes haha.
It's good but kinda not fun sounding an requires an earcups pads swap.

Last edited:

FrankWza

They’re only superior if they’re 1:1
If you’re plugging them into a dualsense, there’s probably not enough juice to drive them and pulse are going to get extra pop because they have their own power source.
If you have them plugged into a dac, even one that isn’t powered.you should have a fuller sounding experience than pulse. The only time the USB port has issues is with legacy amps that were not designed to work over usb. They are underpowered.
You could also try using a portable amp if you don’t want to be tethered to the console and plug that into your dualsense.

SkylineRKR

This is about Pulse and I can recommend it for PS5 since its like 100 bucks and delivers good audio for its price.

I have both Pulse and MS wireless headset. I like both.

MS wireless:

+no dongle
+volume and mixer controls, just rotate the earpiece. Its incredibly convenient.
+BT for other devices
+Build quality, its very comfy and feels sturdy.
+lots of customization via apps

-No 3,5 inch
-sometimes signal distorts a bit
-DTS/Dolby app requires a fee
-mic visible on left earpiece

Pulse advantages

+3,5 jack
+better signal. I get less distortions on this one than I get on the MS headset. Because of dongle?
+Connects fast. Flick it on and everything defaults to headset within a second. speakers will mute.
+No visible mic

-less comfy, worse build quality
-No BT
-No customization apart from 5 presets?
-Buttons are an absolute nightmare. I still struggle to find the volume during play.

Overall I prefer the MS headset since it feels good for prolonged play and because of the volume controls. The Pulse feels less good on the ears. But I do think, whenever I take the Pulse, that its audio quality is a little bit richer.

tommib

I happen to be using Sony products for entertainment and professionally and pretty happy with them for VERY long time to build such love and trust to the brand. Is it perfect? No, I do use other products that give specific or better results as well.
Same here, Bo. It’s all Sony in the house. I used to have Xperia phones as well but couldn’t stand android so now it’s iPhones. I just know how Sony products work and that they deliver quality so why risk other brands.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Been using the Pulse for awhile now, and while it doesn't deliver the same impact my Dolby home theater setup does, it's such a great option when I want to play at night without bothering the rest of the house.

Games like Uncharted Collection and Returnal have fantastic 3D audio and proof that every dev should be spending resources on it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Actually you have 2 presets and the other 3 are slots to save your own tuned ones. Check it again and use Youtube for referrence or play around with it.

Same here, Bo. It’s all Sony in the house. I used to have Xperia phones as well but couldn’t stand android so now it’s iPhones. I just know how Sony products work and that they deliver quality so why risk other brands.

Still holding my old, trusty Xperia XA2 and been using Sony phones since 2005. Getting Xperia 1 III or V next as it gets individually color calibrated = works perfectly as a monitor for my Sony alpha 7S III camera. I also use Sony TV now as it has more accurate colors than my previous 2 LG's. Also on my Xperia you can keep the colors neutral so it works as a second/final check before sending the video.

On the microsoft side, Windows 10 is the first ever "decent" OS from MS. Might go Apple next for the first time as M1 is pretty good for what I need (video/photo editing).

Topher

Gold Member
This is about Pulse and I can recommend it for PS5 since its like 100 bucks and delivers good audio for its price.

I have both Pulse and MS wireless headset. I like both.

MS wireless:

+no dongle
+volume and mixer controls, just rotate the earpiece. Its incredibly convenient.
+BT for other devices
+Build quality, its very comfy and feels sturdy.
+lots of customization via apps

-No 3,5 inch
-sometimes signal distorts a bit
-DTS/Dolby app requires a fee
-mic visible on left earpiece

Pulse advantages

+3,5 jack
+better signal. I get less distortions on this one than I get on the MS headset. Because of dongle?
+Connects fast. Flick it on and everything defaults to headset within a second. speakers will mute.
+No visible mic

-less comfy, worse build quality
-No BT
-Buttons are an absolute nightmare. I still struggle to find the volume during play.

Overall I prefer the MS headset since it feels good for prolonged play and because of the volume controls. The Pulse feels less good on the ears. But I do think, whenever I take the Pulse, that its audio quality is a little bit richer.

Great summary. Couple of notes:

Xbox Wireless Headset

The distortion in the Xbox Wireless Headset is common among all headsets that use Xbox proprietary wireless tech, in my experience. I found this to be the case on other headsets that use Xbox integrated wireless as well, such as the Razer Kaira Pro and the Steelseries Artis 9X

Pulse 3D

The poor comfort and build quality that mention are the primary reasons why I decided against Pulse 3D. Of course comfort is going to depend on the person.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Xbox Wireless Headset

The distortion in the Xbox Wireless Headset is common among all headsets that use Xbox proprietary wireless tech, in my experience. I found this to be the case on other headsets that use Xbox integrated wireless as well, such as the Razer Kaira Pro and the Steelseries Artis 9X

Pulse 3D

The poor comfort and build quality that mention are the primary reasons why I decided against Pulse 3D. Of course comfort is going to depend on the person.

Surprisingly though, it could fit on my little daughter's head, 3yo. To me Pulse 3D is perfect, although it can be more comfy but it sits well with me. But I easily see that some won't find it comfy enough as well, so better try it if possible with a friend who has it.

Topher

Gold Member
Surprisingly though, it could fit on my little daughter's head, 3yo. To me Pulse 3D is perfect, although it can be more comfy but it sits well with me. But I easily see that some won't find it comfy enough as well, so better try it if possible with a friend who has it.

I admit it. I have a rather large cranium.

big t rex GIF

MikeM

I run an Arctis 7X headset between both Series X (Dolby for Headphones) and PS5. Wireless dongle.

I have to say that any multiplat game that I have played on both systems, the 3D audio is better especially in games where positional identification is required. For some reason, 3D audio just flat out does it better. This is mainly why I play warzone on PS5 instead of my Series X.

I know people say PS5’s 3D audio is fake, gimmick etc but there is something about how its handled that just make it seem far more accurate. That’s my ears tho and everyone else’s can be different. 🤷‍♂️

Returnal absolutely nails the audio experience. Sometimes I play it just for that.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

For RE Village you guys might try to turn the 3D off at OS level and run with the Capcom in game mode. It sounds better, imo.

Xbox Wireless Headset

Pulse 3D

Lately the distortions are gone. But I also have issues with my controller disconnecting randomly. It was much worse around launch but its still there. There seems to be something not right with Xbox BT or something.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
For RE Village you guys might try to turn the 3D off at OS level and run with the Capcom in game mode. It sounds better, imo.

Lately the distortions are gone. But I also have issues with my controller disconnecting randomly. It was much worse around launch but its still there. There seems to be something not right with Xbox BT or something.

I think the controller and headset are competing for resources.

Really?! 400usd wired high ohm headphones... for ps5.... REALLY ?!
You need usb amp+dac for that... and that means compatibility issues with ps5 and playing wired to a fucking console.
You will end up spending 500-600 total for a sound that's not really SO MUCH better and is on wire.

Elder Legend Elder Legend Beyers are great headphones but believe me - pulse 3d sounds fantastic compared to "real" wired headphones... but sound is one thing and wireless convenience + system integration is another.
There is no hiss, no lag, no white noise, 3d works great. Why bother spending 4 or 5 times more and then get a dac... and play wired?

I am not saying pulse 3d is end all, be all. There are many wireless headsets cheaper and more convenient than real stupid headphones. I've been down that hole... it hurts.
Pulse 3d is on par with koss porta pro level sound wise which is an extremely high price when it comes to wireless and closed headphones. And it got more bass.

edit: and forget about bluetooth audio. it's crap
You don't need a DAC. That's built into the controller. You might want an amp but a 50$ topping one will power 1770s no problem and battery life is like 30 hours.
Bluetooth audio is not crap at all either. Lots of Bluetooth headphones are though.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If you are willing to go wired and can have open backs try the Phillips SHP9500 for about $75 from Amazon and I can promise you its better then any closed back "gaming" cans

I own the Pulse headphones and while they are decent for the price just my 2 cents those Phillips smokes the Pulse

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I came across this and tested some headphones on pc :p

Sony pulse 3d wired, wireless
Koss porta pro
Sony xm3 wired, wireless
AKG k414p (collectible... terrible sound lol)

Wired headphones were tested on fiio e10k.

Well... I got 4/6 with wireless pulse 3d. And 3/6 with all the rest. To my ear, Best sounding wireless was Sony, Best wired Koss.
Wired sony pulse 3d was the worst. It sounded better wireless but it is known because it relies on processing.
WHat it proves? nothing... But I do remember there being a huge difference between 128 vs 320... and I can barely hear it in this examples.
All of the wireless headphones sound worse when connected. The DPS does the job.
Koss Porta pro is still the most magical piece of junk ever. Sounds amazing and is mega comfortable. This is the best headphone ever created imo.

Last edited:

FrankWza

As a monitor (close to screen) player, I like to have one wired headset for both PC and PS5.

I'm using a Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80ohm) with Dekoni earpads, hooked up to an Astro Mixamp.

In Returnal the 3D audio really shines - becuase it has Ray-Traced 3D audio. I've never heard a game sounding so good - simply marvelous.
You know you can set up the mixamp on ps5 via optical and bypass the mixamps vss and or use tempest and keep Chatmix?

FrankWza

No, how? Right now I'm getting audio from USB and my PC from optical.
Ps5 Usb to spdif. Optical from spdif to mixamp. Then you have the option to turn off vss on the mixamp. Toggle tempest will be available and the mixamp will pass through. Game that don’t have an tempest mix you can still use the mixamp vss

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
As a monitor (close to screen) player, I like to have one wired headset for both PC and PS5.

I'm using a Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80ohm) with Dekoni earpads, hooked up to an Astro Mixamp.

In Returnal the 3D audio really shines - becuase it has Ray-Traced 3D audio. I've never heard a game sounding so good - simply marvelous.

I second this post.

DT 770s are the perfect balance for gaming IMO.
Yes even better than the DT990s.
I have both sets and the sound scape of the DT 770s is basically the best bang for buck you can get.
However if you are someone that enjoys a wider soundscape which can lead to sounds getting "lost" in the distance, then the DT 990s are a better buy.

If you play any twich shooter the DT 770s with pads and you are golden as golden gets.

My next best choice would be the Surface Headphones.
Yes they look like the Xbox Wireless Headphones but they are actually a different breed and are a legit amazing set for multipurpose use.
Assuming you dont strickly game with your headphones.

But seriously just get some DT 770s.
beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-80.jpg

Last edited:

Demigod Mac

Has Sony said anything about adding height channel speaker integration into their 3D audio?
Still awaiting for the day I can configure for a 5.1.2 AVR setup in the PS5. Right now the only options are Stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 ground-level speaker configs.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Ps5 Usb to spdif. Optical from spdif to mixamp. Then you have the option to turn off vss on the mixamp. Toggle tempest will be available and the mixamp will pass through. Game that don’t have an tempest mix you can still use the mixamp vss
But isn't it exactly the same as audio from USB? - or does the optical input on mixamp have something the USB doesn't have?
In all the vids I've seen everyone says you can't hear a difference cause it's all virtual surround.

Edit:

He also say it's just passing through - with no options to turn off/on vss.

Last edited:

I have some Beyer amiron wireless headphones that I don't know whose head they are built for but I don't think it's a human's. Zero low end because they don't seal on anyone's ears. Spent the money and got dekoni premiums. Literally everything about The headphones is better now. Love those pads.

FrankWza

But isn't it exactly the same as audio from USB? - or does the optical input on mixamp have something the USB doesn't have?
In all the vids I've seen everyone says you can't hear a difference cause it's all virtual surround.
The legacy amps are weak over usb. They were not designed to be powered and also process audio and mic. That’s why they are low sounding and you sometimes lose your mixing options. By using this spdif method you get to keep all of the hdmi 2.1 features, you get mixing and you get to choose which processing you want to use. And, you get the full power of your mixamp.

Mr Moose

Edit:

He also say it's just passing through - with no options to turn off/on vss.

I'll test mine.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
The legacy amps are weak over usb. They were not designed to be powered and also process audio and mic. That’s why they are low sounding and you sometimes lose your mixing options. By using this spdif method you get to keep all of the hdmi 2.1 features, you get mixing and you get to choose which processing you want to use. And, you get the full power of your mixamp.
I have all HDMi 2.1 features with USB. I think you're mistaken HDMI converter with USB. My mixamp only works as an amplifier nothing more.

FrankWza

I have all HDMi 2.1 features with USB. My mixamp only works as an amplifier nothing more.
Right. You get all 3 options this way and the full amp power.
I just did the same, just to be sure. 3D audio enabled and no options to enable/disable Dolby on mixamp, so it's just passing the audio signal without adding an extra layer.
The button on the right on your amp is vss. You’re only passing through if you turn that off.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Yes, and it does nothing when pressed.
So your amp is just processing voice audio. That’s why you have no mixing capability. Even though it’s passing all audio. It’s not designed to pass over usb. Just the mic portion was. The audio was designed to pass through optical. Another reason why it’s lower than it used to be.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
So your amp is just processing voice audio. That’s why you have no mixing capability. Even though it’s passing all audio. It’s not designed to pass over usb. Just the mic portion was. The audio was designed to pass through optical. Another reason why it’s lower than it used to be.
It's processing all audio - like the Pulse headset would do through USB. If I turn my mixamp to full and set audio volume to max in PS5 settings, my ears would fall off in an hour :messenger_tears_of_joy:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Can you mix your audio and voice?
Nope. You can only do that through optical, but that comes with an extra layer of vss. I do the mixing in chat party.

Edit: My mixamp is turned to max volume. I do all volume adjustments through PS5 setting and in-game settings.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Nope. You can only do that through optical, but that comes with an extra layer of vss. I do the mixing in chat party.
Right. That’s what I’m saying to you. By using the method I was telling you about, you have everything with no limitations. There’s no extra layer. You can pick whichever you want. Because, when you separate the channels, the vss on the mixamp works again. So, you can switch it on and off or use Tempest whenever you choose. And you get mixing on your amp, and you keep full hdmi 2.1

Mr Moose

I just did the same, just to be sure. 3D audio enabled and no options to enable/disable Dolby on mixamp, so it's just passing the audio signal without adding an extra layer.
Yeah, plugged it into my PC to change one of the settings and still sounded the same on PS5. If your TV has optical it might work then (I think that's what I did before with it).

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Right. That’s what I’m saying to you. By using the method I was telling you about, you have everything with no limitations. There’s no extra layer. You can pick whichever you want. Because, when you separate the channels, the vss on the mixamp works again. So, you can switch it on and off or use Tempest whenever you choose. And you get mixing on your amp, and you keep full hdmi 2.1
Ah sure, I thought you were saying 3D audio didn't work! Yes that would be an option, but honestly I'm getting tired of turning off 3D audio in settings to play games which doesn't support it, so now I just leave it on.

Top Bottom