• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

sircaw

Banned
30s C with 90% humidity here in the south of Thailand. That's actually pretty comfortable, given it's overcast everyday due to monsoon season. Bangkok would get up in the 40s with the same level of humidity. So glad I moved a couple of years ago. That city is brutal. The worst heat I've experienced was in Malaysia. Easter Thailand was a close second. Despite being inland, the humidity was insane. I swear this entire country is one big sauna. Maybe Chiang Mai is different, since it's in the mountains.

Thailand, oo have you caught any wild bettas out there? :messenger_smiling_hearts:

makaveli60

I'm getting really hyped now. Strange because it seems there won't be any exceptional launch game (though I hope I'm wrong in this) but the fact that I can replay my favorites in at least PS4 Pro mode on my new XG90 TV makes me excited.
I hope they won't delay it or anything. Marketing sucks so far for the PS5, though it's still better than what MS is doing.

Bryank75

Banned
I'm getting really hyped now. Strange because it seems there won't be any exceptional launch game (though I hope I'm wrong in this) but the fact that I can replay my favorites in at least PS4 Pro mode on my new XG90 TV makes me excited.
I hope they won't delay it or anything. Marketing sucks so far for the PS5, though it's still better than what MS is doing.
They'll still announce things and clarify dates and everything.... still early days.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
30s C with 90% humidity here in the south of Thailand. That's actually pretty comfortable, given it's overcast everyday due to monsoon season. Bangkok would get up in the 40s with the same level of humidity. So glad I moved a couple of years ago. That city is brutal. The worst heat I've experienced was in Malaysia. Easter Thailand was a close second. Despite being inland, the humidity was insane. I swear this entire country is one big sauna. Maybe Chiang Mai is different, since it's in the mountains.

I can't imagine 40C with 90% humidity! You go like 100km to the north from Salalah and you reach the Empty Quarter Desert. Most of Oman is pretty hot, up to 45-50C max! I got used to that heat when I was studying in Muscat (the capital), you can see me chatting outside under direct sun heat reaching up to 55C (due to asphalt reaching more than 90C and all the cement around).

Been to Malaysia, what a wonderful country. Thailand is pretty famous as well and most of my friends have visited it. And yes, sun can be brutal there even when I came there in December.

Jeff Grubb from Venture beat says that PS5 would be considered significantly weaker but very expensive when compared to series x. He was under the assumption that Series X might have been costlier to manufacture, but it turns out PS5 is much more expensive to make and that it's weaker console. Says AMD Smartshift tech will cause trouble for games at launch and make PS5 games look wack. How much of this is fact?

Goncas2

Jeff Grubb from Venture beat says that PS5 would be considered significantly weaker but very expensive when compared to series x. He was under the assumption that Series X might have been costlier to manufacture, but it turns out PS5 is much more expensive to make and that it's weaker console. Says AMD Smartshift tech will cause trouble for games at launch and make PS5 games look wack. How much of this is fact?

About Smartshift, I listened to what he said, seems like he didn't really hear anything from actual developers and he's just speculating. His logic is: AMD SmartShift is new to consoles -> Devs are dumb and will have a hard time adapting to it -> Games at launch will be "wack".

Bryank75

Banned

Yeah, doesn't seem like he knows for sure and says it is just the new tech that needs to be explained..... no issue.

Fact that he says there could be truth in GTA6 and FFXVI is a bigger deal.... that is the generation locked down. Xbox is done.

Yeah, doesn't seem like he knows for sure and says it is just the new tech that needs to be explained..... no issue.

Fact that he says there could be truth in GTA6 and FFXVI is a bigger deal.... that is the generation locked down. Xbox is done.

buh buh buh but didn't devs tell to Jason from Kotaku that PS5 was easy to adopt and develop games on? what's going on here man?

mejin

Horse shit.

T-Cake

About Smartshift, I listened to what he said, seems like he didn't really hear anything from actual developers and he's just speculating. His logic is: AMD SmartShift is new to consoles -> Devs are dumb and will have a hard time adapting to it -> Games at launch will be "wack".

That could be absolutely true. The paradigm shift in having variable frequencies with fixed power budget is something devs won't be used to. The PS5 could have the tech capability but devs can't/won't use it properly so we end up with PS3-like janky multiplats all over again.

That could be absolutely true. The paradigm shift in having variable frequencies with fixed power budget is something devs won't be used to. The PS5 could have the tech capability but devs can't/won't use it properly so we end up with PS3-like janky multiplats all over again.

this sounds like recipe for disaster :(

THE:MILKMAN

Jesus....We're fully in silly season now on top of which everyone including Jeff is going crazy over Sony's silence.

Handy Fake

I thought Smartshift was automatic and the fixed profiles for devs was just for testing purposes? They don't really have to do anything?

Last edited:

T-Cake

I thought Smartshift was automatic and the fixed profiles for devs was just for testing purposes? They don't really have to do anything?

Yes, that's what I also thought. They are using fixed profiles on the dev kit for optimizing and then when the code runs on the PS5, it's actually going to perform better because the profiles are configured to be less power-hungry than what the PS5 actually supplies. So more speculation really.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I, personally, am looking forward to what looks like it might be at least three more weeks of this damn BS roller coaster of FUD, misinformation, fiction preached as fact, "Insider" info, and awful teases by corps. Oh, and debate between fanperson camps trying to prove their side is better.

ElderlyDesertedChameleon-small.gif

Last edited:

makaveli60

First ray-tracing screenshot:

How do we know that's raytracing? I feel like raytracing is one of the most overhyped graphical features ever. Developers became so good at faking these things that I'm sad that insane performance budgets will be spent for this that could be used elsewhere for much more impressive results.

Entroyp

How do we know that's raytracing? I feel like raytracing is one of the most overhyped graphical features ever. Developers became so good at faking these things that I'm sad that insane performance budgets will be spent for this that could be used elsewhere for much more impressive results.

So the head of insomniac is lying?

makaveli60

Dude, if gameplay graphics are just like that screenshot, I don't give a damn to what they are using to achieve that quality.
Don't get me wrong, the OG Spiderman already looked awesome, this will only look better than that. But did anyone honestly feel that "damn I wish these reflections were raytraced, it would look so much better" while playing TLoU2? I don't think so. And that's the problem. This shit is so overhyped and it takes away insane performance budgets for results that show marginal differences to its fake version. And this is not about Insomniac or anyone, but the game industry generally. No one could point out the difference in that picture that screams it's raytraced. I get that you already like how it looks but don't you wonder how much better it could look if they didn't care about raytracing? I know this is not gonna happen because people who just cantate slogans like raytracing would be enraged. Same with 60 fps and 120 fps... Yeah, I'm a graphics whore, I know.

MastaKiiLA

Thailand, oo have you caught any wild bettas out there? :messenger_smiling_hearts:
Not wild, but I have 2, a male and female. Gorgeous fish. Really sturdy too. I have them in outdoor tanks right now. I no longer need to feed them, as they feed no the copious amount of insect larvae available.

Bryank75

Banned
Don't get me wrong, the OG Spiderman already looked awesome, this will only look better than that. But did anyone honestly feel that "damn I wish these reflections were raytraced, it would look so much better" while playing TLoU2? I don't think so. And that's the problem. This shit is so overhyped and it takes away insane performance budgets for results that show marginal differences to its fake version. And this is not about Insomniac or anyone, but the game industry generally. No one could point out the difference in that picture that screams it's raytraced. I get that you already like how it looks but don't you wonder how much better it could look if they didn't care about raytracing? I know this is not gonna happen because people who just cantate slogans like raytracing would be enraged. Same with 60 fps and 120 fps... Yeah, I'm a graphics whore, I know.
Don't worry, Insomniac know how to get more out of the power, the snow, lighting and reflactions as well as materials and effects will all help it look so next level in motion, it will do the trick.

makaveli60

Don't worry, Insomniac know how to get more out of the power, the snow, lighting and reflactions as well as materials and effects will all help it look so next level in motion, it will do the trick.
Ah, I have no doubt in that. They are among the best. It's just that generally I hate this raytracing bullshit that is the sensation nowadays. And I think we can mostly thank the pc master race for that.

Bryank75

Banned
Ah, I have no doubt in that. They are among the best. It's just that generally I hate this raytracing bullshit that is the sensation nowadays. And I think we can mostly thank the pc master race for that.
The talent is still a million times more important, PC will always depend on technological improvements that only have marginal benefits because they cannot leverage talent the way PlayStation does through their studios....

There must be a button for them to press, that makes a marginal difference, so they can justify buying a GPU of a grand or more.... yet still playing The Witcher from 2015 because all they have to play otherwise is Valorant or Fortnite unless they beg Sony for something.

Perrott

Gold Member
That's not a problem. What Naughty Dog or Rockstar did with TLOU2 or RDR2 in order to make those games look like they do is not only time-consuming, but also skyrockets the budget - so it is nice for other developers to now have an easier way to get to the same results as those top-tier developers in terms of global illumination or reflections via raytracing.

DaGwaphics

This is the funny thing about RT to me as well. I literally can't tell the difference unless it's a video where someone is pointing out the RT specifically. Especially like on cars and things like that, the reflections already look good to me. LOL

edit: Well I guess if think about it, anything that saves time is good for end users as Perrott Perrott mentions.

My biggest fear for the RT era is that AMD demo. LOL

Last edited:

makaveli60

The talent is still a million times more important, PC will always depend on technological improvements that only have marginal benefits because they cannot leverage talent the way PlayStation does through their studios....

There must be a button for them to press, that makes a marginal difference, so they can justify buying a GPU of a grand or more.... yet still playing The Witcher from 2015 because all they have to play otherwise is Valorant or Fortnite unless they beg Sony for something.
Savage.

Perrott Perrott well, I have to admit, that's a good argument, regardless of what I think about raytracing

DaGwaphics DaGwaphics Exactly.

I guess I'm just too lazy to watch anything this guy is saying. Does he actually knows what SmartShift is? Does he have good relationships with developers that happen to be working on PS5? Does he even understand how the PS5 works?

So, this technology is a bit more subtle than what is commonly understood. Not only does it improve the base performance, it creates a new opportunity for optimization. And I think there is also the matter of dev practices changing as the kits evolve. So, like some of the other PS5 features, it is easy to use, but more care is necessary to get the most out it.

pixelation

Give me DLSS who cares about native 4K anyways, DF have said themselves that DLSS looks better in some ways than native 4K and without requiring the same as a native 4K image... gimme that instead.

Elohim99

Neo Member
I think there's lots of FUD being thrown against Sony right now, lots of people in the industry seem biased against them for some reason. It's also funny that Jeff says that because he was among thos who got info from devs about how good and easy it was to develop on PS5.

So,I wouldn't read too much into all this stuff that is coming out these days. As soon as Sony starts showing games again, giving dates, prices ecc. (Which I hope is really soon) the discourse will be radically different.

Also, Spiderman Miles Morales is a looker 😍

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
One part of Spidey that absolutely needs RT is the reflections on skyscrapers. The cubemaps + SSR on nearby skyscrapers looked abysmal and stuck out like a sore thumb in what is an otherwise great looking game.

Top Bottom