• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Hostile_18

Banned
Is the external USB SSD issue still a thing? I keep getting it on a 2tv NVME external when coming back from rest mode nearly 100% of the time. No power cuts. Only takes 10 seconds to resolve but a little worrying.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Any idea when DualSense controllers will be available in colors other than white?
Does anyone remember how long it took Sony to do this for PS4 controllers?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Is the external USB SSD issue still a thing? I keep getting it on a 2tv NVME external when coming back from rest mode nearly 100% of the time. No power cuts. Only takes 10 seconds to resolve but a little worrying.
Not asking you to turn it off but have you tried it without rest mode and does the same thing happen? If it doesn’t can you not cope without rest mode for a while while hopefully waiting for the fix?

Is it only an SSD thing too? Your bog standard external platter drives have this issue in rest mode?

Hostile_18

Banned
Not asking you to turn it off but have you tried it without rest mode and does the same thing happen? If it doesn’t can you not cope without rest mode for a while while hopefully waiting for the fix?

Is it only an SSD thing too? Your bog standard external platter drives have this issue in rest mode?

I'll check that out about normal shut down. 😊

Hostile_18

Banned

Full shut works, rest mode even for a minute sends it into "repair". Very strange.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Okay next thing if you can be arsed lol is if you have a physical HDD you could just try see if the same thing occurs in rest mode then you’ll know that there’s something specific with SSD’s in rest mode.

I don’t have a solution sorry but like you say, very strange. I don’t know enough about SSD drives to offer an idea I’m afraid. This is where the geniuses of GAF need to chip in.

DaveinAmaze

Neo Member

I’m also having the same problem. Recently bought an adata se800 ssd nvme and I get the same error when using it with rest mode. It seems to work fine if I power off the system but I like using rest mode for convenience. I’ve just been moving ps4 games over to the external ssd and don’t keep it plugged in until they’ve fixed this. I usually only play a few games at a time so I keep 1 ps4 game on my system ssd and the rest on the external. Hopefully they fix this soon as I would much prefer keeping the external plugged in and using rest mode.

DaveinAmaze

Neo Member
For those of you with COD Cold War on your ps5, what is the file size of the game after removing the single player campaign?

I beat the Campaign yesterday so I deleted it from the ssd. My file size for the game is now 99.59gb but the other modes only add up to 61.87gb so it seems to be taking up an extra 37gb or so? Have others that have the game and removed the single player have the same issue?

Currently I have installed:
Multiplayer at 47.15 gb
Zombies at 5.02gb
Dead ops arcade at 9.7gb

Total 61.87gb but it is showing as taking up 99.59gb? Anyone know why the discrepancy?

Hostile_18

Banned
I’m also having the same problem. Recently bought an adata se800 ssd nvme and I get the same error when using it with rest mode. It seems to work fine if I power off the system but I like using rest mode for convenience. I’ve just been moving ps4 games over to the external ssd and don’t keep it plugged in until they’ve fixed this. I usually only play a few games at a time so I keep 1 ps4 game on my system ssd and the rest on the external. Hopefully they fix this soon as I would much prefer keeping the external plugged in and using rest mode.

Glad its not only me and they will no doubt fix it. I tried the other back USB port but same result. I'll do full shut down for a while.

DinoD

Got some pulse 3D for Christmas and after almost a month I can say that they are trash vs my sennheiser 600 don’t believe the hype.

If you tell me that you are plugging your Senn 600 straight into the controler's head phone input. Your hearing is crap and no one should take an advice from you :D
. I use Senn 600 to monitor my mixes. Senn 600 are high-impedance headphones (600 ohms), and need a reasonably powerful headphone amplifier to sound good. I once plugged them into my laptop (just for fun sake), and they sounded like crap.

Does anyone else have the problem that controller or headset won't recharge in rest mode if you're using the front usb?

It just noticed this and it did work before.
I had the setting at 4 hours but I changed it to always on. It didn't help.
It sucks because both of the back side usb slots are reserved.

Mr Hyde

Nice sale going on now on PS store. Bought The Wolf Among Us and Forgotton Anne for about 15 bucks. I really like how smooth the PS App is working, in that you can download everything you bought and then when you get home it's ready to play. I'm at work now and finished the download in a couple of minutes. Very nice feature. The only thing the app is missing, is the ability to add games to wishlist. That's a real bummer and I hope Sony patches it soon.

Wasn't that already working in PS4 era?

Also yay finally got mine :D Downloading stuff as we speak now.

Hmm is only way to access all bough games through my library now ? No downloadsed list in ps store ?

cyen

Just grabbed one and completed the trifecta. Some personal takes:

It's somewhat silence, can hear the fan if in silence or low volume on the TV, nothing ps4 pro levels mind you but compared to XSX I have to say XSX takes the cake since it's dead silence.

UI is lackluster, some regressions compared to the PS4 one, I guess it's the price to pay for a complete revamp, also the XSX is much more feature rich and I personally prefer it.

Ugly as fuck as well, had to hide it behind the TV, it's gigantic 2000 Alienware stuff.

But the games are what it matters most and I still have some ps4 stuff to catch up, playing spider man remastered and I really enjoyed the first two missions, will for sure continue to play it and although cross gen have really nice graphics.

Astrobot is nice but to be honest I'm not feeling all the dual sense buzz around the haptics and triggers, feels a little gimmicky. Nostalgia touches around ps legacy is a very nice touch.

Never played Detroit Become Human so I just gave it a try since it's free for ps plus owners and apart from the tank controls and, well, walking simulator stuff I'm actually enjoying the story how it plays out with all the decision trees.

Thinking about getting Demons Souls, I've finished the original but I'm not sure if I have the pacience to endure with all that suffering again.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Does anyone else have the problem that controller or headset won't recharge in rest mode if you're using the front usb?

It just noticed this and it did work before.
I had the setting at 4 hours but I changed it to always on. It didn't help.
It sucks because both of the back side usb slots are reserved.
I had this problem in the beginning, but it was gone after a firmware update. Is your PS5 with the latest firmware?

So what's the state of SonyGaf in your opinion when games like Spider-man Miles Morales or Sackboy a Big Adventure couldn't even get OT's for themselves?

Have the numbers of the hardcore, not the neutered "neutrals" dwindled so low due to particular actions? Do you feel invested in the community as to put the time in? Is the proof in the pudding as they say?

What's your take.

Last edited:

Entroyp

So what's the state of SonyGaf in your opinion when games like Spider-man Miles Morales or Sackboy a Big Adventure couldn't even get OT's for themselves?

Have the numbers of the hardcore, not the neutered "neutrals" dwindled so low due to particular actions? Do you feel invested in the community as to put the time in? Is the proof in the pudding as they say?

What's your take.

Sony gaf is quite busy playing great games on their PS5s to care about such things.

Sony gaf is quite busy playing great games on their PS5s to care about such things.

Is that a political answer to avoid the subject or what you truly believe is the reason why, perhaps even partial reason why. I could have made all those OT's, matter of fact I know particular posters who could have made them but are taking steps back considering how things have developed. The opinion appears to be that the investment is simply not warranted in the current climate. If it was before, and it's not now, what is the particular reason.

Last edited:

What's your take.

I don't understand what you are actually trying to ask here. Are you literally just wondering why Sackboy and MM don't have OTs, or are you implying something else?

Just browsing the forum casually seems to find plenty of Sony support/discussion.

Moogle11

Banned

What's your take.

Lack of game OTs is just a general shortcoming of current GAF IMO. Many on here barely seem to like games and mostly post to complain about things they don't like or argue sales, game performance and other console warring nonsense than have fun chats about games they're enjoying playing. Add in keeping the norm of having to sign up for an OT, put effort into making the first post with links etc. and it just is what it is. As much as I like OTs, I'm not willing to put the time into make one as I think the first posts are pointless as I never read them as I only enter them once I'm playing a game and want to share my thoughts. It's easier to just go to to the "What game are you currently playing thread" or other sites for sharing those thoughts these days.

I still enjoy GAF a lot, but mostly just for keeping up with gaming news, random threads etc. vs. mainly being here for game OTs like I was back in the past on a prior account or on Era early on before it completely went to shit. That said, I don't think it means anything for SonyGaf or whatever. Plenty of (i.e. way too many) fanboys of all three consoles and PC on here. I just think it's a combo of being too time consuming or intimidating for many to sign up and put the time into make OTs and much of that casual chatting about games having migrated from forums to Discord and game-specific subReddits. So we're just left with whatever games the relatively small number of people signing up and making OTs for are interested in doing.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Is that a political answer to avoid the subject or what you truly believe is the reason why, perhaps even partial reason why. I could have made all those OT's, matter of fact I know particular posters who could have made them but are taking steps back considering how things have developed. The opinion appears to be that the investment is simply not warranted in the current climate. If it was before, and it's not now, what is the particular reason.
It’s been true for me. My GAF time has been greatly reduced playing games this last two months.

I’ve barely visited.

The other problem is that releases come fast and furious these days. Look at cyberpunk - even that disappeared off the front page after about two weeks and the only thing keeping it there that long was bugs and complaints.

For an OT to be really worth the effort you need an epic and anticipated game and these days that’s mulitplats. Exclusives are barely worth the effort of assembling the information and making the thread. OTs need passion - sack boy doesn’t inspire passion, MM might on its next release but this was a spin off of Spider-Man - no one really knew what to expect.

Finally the spec thread acted as the place for people to discuss launch period games and that’s true even for releases now. It’s still a console war time but it’s trailing off and GAF will return to the relatively quiet place it’s been for a few years now.

Probably summer is the first time we’ll need to see actual OTs.

Still waiting on UI updates for better library organization and the ability to hide/remove games...

Give this a try and see if it helps. Whenever I install a game, one of the first things I do is unfollow it because I don’t like the UI spam you get from some games when you’re following them. I don’t know if it will work, it’s a shot in the dark but who knows, I haven’t had your problem and it could be why. When I do delete a PS4 game though, it replaces the store icon with a grey default thumbnail. But if I go into my library and then back into the main UI it changes back to the store icon.

The OS is definitely buggy. This past weekend I played through Dishonoured: Death of an Outsider. If I go to my games in my profile, instead of that game it shows I played Tropical 5. If I click on it it shows the proper game, just in the games list view for some reason it’s Tropico.

Last edited:

devilNprada

If you tell me that you are plugging your Senn 600 straight into the controler's head phone input. Your hearing is crap and no one should take an advice from you :D
. I use Senn 600 to monitor my mixes. Senn 600 are high-impedance headphones (600 ohms), and need a reasonably powerful headphone amplifier to sound good. I once plugged them into my laptop (just for fun sake), and they sounded like crap.

i am looking for a decent headset for my kid that plugs directly into a controller and the switch and his school chrome book in particular...
Any recomendations?

Edit: Be nice to have a blue tooth option also but wired would be the primary use... and mic needs to work on all three..

Last edited:

FrankWza

What's your take.
There’s hardly any OTs at all. The hitman 3 one was at 5 pages and the comparison thread is around 50. Hopefully they’ll be a Nioh 2 one soon if there are new players or people who held off playing and will be playing the upgraded version. I remember there being a good one for the original.

Moogle11

Banned
For an OT to be really worth the effort you need an epic and anticipated game and these days that’s mulitplats. Exclusives are barely worth the effort of assembling the information and making the thread. OTs need passion - sack boy doesn’t inspire passion, MM might on its next release but this was a spin off of Spider-Man - no one really knew what to expect.

Finally the spec thread acted as the place for people to discuss launch period games and that’s true even for releases now. It’s still a console war time but it’s trailing off and GAF will return to the relatively quiet place it’s been for a few years now.

Probably summer is the first time we’ll need to see actual OTs.

They should just relax the rules on OTs. Make the signups just for people who have the "passion" and want to make a fancy one to reserve the right to do so in advance. If there's no OT by launch day, anyone should just be able to make an OT thread with no real first post just to have place where people can chat while playing the game so that doesn't end up in random places like the Review thread (as happened with Miles Morales).

That's just me though. I've never seen the point of the elaborate first posts as I go to OTs to share my thoughts after starting a game. Review threads are where I go for more info about something I'm on the fence about.

Neo Blaster

People have more interest in comparisons between both console versions than the games themselves, just look at the threads.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just picked up Dragon's Crown Pro for $7 on the PS Store and I'm hyped to finally play another Vanillaware game. The last one I played was Muramasa back in the day.
Now if only Ghost of Tsushima would go on sale again.

I also had a chance to play around with some of the media apps today like Youtube and Crunchyroll. Between both of those and the UHD player, PS5 is an excellent media machine.

Last edited:

DinoD

i am looking for a decent headset for my kid that plugs directly into a controller and the switch and his school chrome book in particular...
Any recomendations?

Edit: Be nice to have a blue tooth option also but wired would be the primary use... and mic needs to work on all three..
Hi,

I am mostly versed in the hi-fi/studio wired type of headphones. Looking at the computer/console audio segment, these seem to get all the praise and they also fit all your criteria. Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT . Check them out on the internet.

Regards

Mr Hyde

I think Sony has definitely amped up the value of PS Plus. Unsubscribed a couple of years ago because I was unhappy with the service. Re-subscribed again for Demon's Souls online component and I gotta say it has changed a lot.

From the Plus Collection to the monthly games to sales and discounts, everything has really been good. It feels way better now and actually worth having. I hope it's not just Sony firing on all cylinders now because PS5 launch, but that they try and maintain the value throughout the years.

Moogle11

Banned
I think Sony has definitely amped up the value of PS Plus. Unsubscribed a couple of years ago because I was unhappy with the service. Re-subscribed again for Demon's Souls online component and I gotta say it has changed a lot.

From the Plus Collection to the monthly games to sales and discounts, everything has really been good. It feels way better now and actually worth having. I hope it's not just Sony firing on all cylinders now because PS5 launch, but that they try and maintain the value throughout the years.

I think it will always just be up and down as it's something that's of course just dependent on tastes and luck on whether you've played games that interest you before they hit the service or not. I pretty much just keep it for online play as I do most of my online gaming with PS only friends, so the "free" games are just a nice added benefit. I don't really end up playing a ton of them as the ones that interest me tend to be things I've already played (like Control next month).

That may change this gen though as I decided to be much more selective with what I buy at/near launch and to spend more time on Gamepass games, PS+ freebies, Epic freebies etc. when there's not something I'm super stoked to buy and play. Trying to be a bit more frugal and not spend money on games that are just time fillers between the big AAA games I'm actually hyped to buy and play day one.

With Nioh 2 Remastered, Control UE PS5 version, and Destruction All-Stars being added to my SSD next week, space is gonna really start getting tight on my PS5.

I gotta imagine the internal expansion update is coming sooner than later at this point....at least I can keep crossing my fingers.

Also, I watched that video from Press Start Australia getting the black faceplates on their PS5. It does look really nice all black. The vanilla look has grown on me though. I am torn on if I wanna change it up.

Ditto, I've spent a lot and been spending lot more time thanks to PS5. Spent 80 hours into Demon Souls remake, 60 hours into Days gone, 30 + hours into miles morales (3rd playthrough), 40 hours into Cold War, 30 hours into Jedi Fallen Order, 12 hours into Ace combat 7 and now about to commence Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Ditto, I've spent a lot and been spending lot more time thanks to PS5. Spent 80 hours into Demon Souls remake, 60 hours into Days gone, 30 + hours into miles morales (3rd playthrough), 40 hours into Cold War, 30 hours into Jedi Fallen Order, 12 hours into Ace combat 7 and now about to commence Shadow of the Tomb Raider
After those game the Shadow will feel so uninspired. I had to quit playing it.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
b9aOrJ8.jpg

Took me long enough to grab one :messenger_loudly_crying:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have a bc question.
For ps4 games that had "automatic" pro vs standard modes, how to choose these now?
Like last guardian. Will it start in 1890p or 1080p ?(30fps both ways since I play patched because of freezing).

Like, in a games that did not had a toggle like Uncharted 4. I know that on slim it ran 1080p and 1440p on pro... so is ps5 emulating a ps4 pro? Or is that dictated bt "game preset" option? or is that only for new ps5 games...

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I bought the disc version of Ryza 2 which comes with a PS5 version for free download. I deleted the PS4 version because why would I need a lesser version of the same game install. When I turn my PS5 on now it always tries to install the PS4 version until I stop it. Is there a way to prevent this?

Last edited:

FrankWza

I have a bc question.
For ps4 games that had "automatic" pro vs standard modes, how to choose these now?
Like last guardian. Will it start in 1890p or 1080p ?(30fps both ways since I play patched because of freezing).

Like, in a games that did not had a toggle like Uncharted 4. I know that on slim it ran 1080p and 1440p on pro... so is ps5 emulating a ps4 pro? Or is that dictated bt "game preset" option? or is that only for new ps5 games...
I’m pretty sure the PS5 automatically puts PS4 games into boost mode if that’s what you’re asking.

I got my PS5 last month but yesterday I finally found the time and energy to unbox and plug it in.

First impressions? Heavy and ugly with cheap plastic everywhere. Luckily it fits behind my TV so I don't have to look at it.

Ghost of Tsushima is finally playable with smooth 60FPS. I had to start from the beginning because I forgot that Sony doesn't do cloud saves in 2021 by default and you have to be subscribed to PS+ to enable them.

Menu music is nice. I had to update the console, all the games and even a controller so it's been playing in my living room for a while.

Now let's wait for some big exclusives to drop.

Zheph

I got my PS5 last month but yesterday I finally found the time and energy to unbox and plug it in.

First impressions? Heavy and ugly with cheap plastic everywhere. Luckily it fits behind my TV so I don't have to look at it.

Ghost of Tsushima is finally playable with smooth 60FPS. I had to start from the beginning because I forgot that Sony doesn't do cloud saves in 2021 by default and you have to be subscribed to PS+ to enable them.

Menu music is nice. I had to update the console, all the games and even a controller so it's been playing in my living room for a while.

Now let's wait for some big exclusives to drop.
don't force yourself lol

Top Bottom