• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Has anyone noticed their PS5 fan spinning for over an hour after going into suspend? This seems like a strange feature, I can't imagine the APU is hot for that long, but maybe there is a sensor?

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Got a strange bug in Control Ultimate Edition. It occurs when I move Jesse to run but somehow it doesn't register left stick properly so she is doing a combination of running and walking, running and walking. Super annoying. Switched to my other DualSense and there it worked properly, so I figured it has to be the controller? Maybe stick drift or something. But when I tried other games the stick worked just fine with no awkward movement. Really confusing.

so have any of you guys have purchased 2TB+ of extra SSD storage with 7.5GB/SEC + of bandwidth fully functional and compatible with PS5?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think its a minimum requirement of bandwidth speed from Sony for third party vendors to ensure compatibility with PS5, with a whole list of other things which i am not sure about.

Nobody is sure as there are no official guidelines, but the statement was only “bit faster than 5.5 GB/s to make up for the lack of additional priority levels in the base NVMe standard”, not 7.5 GB/s or more... that reference was just to highlight the kind of drives that would be available in 2020 and beyond.

Popped the Conrol UE Plat this morning. I love this game. 100 percent'd it when it came out on PC, and loved it just as much this time through. The 60 fps mode feels great.

I have never played either expansion, so gonna knock out those two new areas and their trophies now.

Great offering for PSN+ this month. Nioh 2 remastered unlocks tonight too! Great week

mK6g1IS.jpg

Sw0pDiller

I managed to order a ps5 from amazon.de yesterday. It's a used one and has been send back for some reason. I don't care cuz I will still have my warranty and it was 70 euros cheaper than a new one. So I can download demon's souls kinda for free I guess. So hyped right now. Hope it gets here next week.

JonkyDonk

So I've been playing a lot of Ghost of Tsushima lately. And I finally got to the mission from the E3 demo where Jin and Masako fight, and I gotta say as cool and cinematic as it all looks and as awesome as that demo was, in the actual game it makes no sense why that would happen. By that point in the story Masako and Jin are friends, they've been through a lot, and the escalation to them fighting to the death is completely out of nowhere. I feel like this is another case of an E3 demo that was made in isolation as a prototype and then as the rest of the game and story took shape, that sequence made less sense but they still had to include it somehow. It's always interesting to me that when we see these demos, that chunk is more or less all they have made and they have to build an entire game around that, and sometimes the final game doesn't even include the demo stuff like in the case of Bioshock Infinite.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
haha !
I've scored the last piece of the puzzle -Sony Pulse 3d headset !!! I am daily checking all of the online stores and finally it showed up un one. Should be here tomorrow.
So that's 3080, ps5 and pulse 3d... all rarest things on earth lol. Now I gotta replay Demons Souls when the headset comes here !

I hope it's not terrible. I never had wireless headset before. I am using Koss Porta pro on my for years now so I expect pulse 3d to be a downgrade but we will see.
I did had a chance to try Razer blackshark v2 pro few days ago and it was pretty great... 50% more expensive but it was neat.
Still - pulse3d integration should be great and it just looks too good lol

FrankWza

I am using Koss Porta pro on my for years now so I expect pulse 3d to be a downgrade but we will see.
It’s an entirely different experience because of their design. hopefully they’re comfortable enough for you to use for extended playtime. Enjoy!

are you guys using any external hard drives to save PS5 games and game data? If so, can you please share? I am not buying PS5 unless i know i can save games on 2TB+ hard drive

are you guys using any external hard drives to save PS5 games and game data? If so, can you please share? I am not buying PS5 unless i know i can save games on 2TB+ hard drive

So your never going to buy a PS5?

From what Cerny said about the I/O it doesn't seem possible to store the games on the external. Your best option is for them to allow us to add an internal SSD. Unfortunately we have no idea when that will happen.

So your never going to buy a PS5?

From what Cerny said about the I/O it doesn't seem possible to store the games on the external. Your best option is for them to allow us to add an internal SSD. Unfortunately we have no idea when that will happen.
What about saving PS4/PS4Pro games on the external hard drive connected to the PS5? I want to buy a PS5 with PS4 games, because I skipped out on PS4/PS4Pro, and now I can finally play them on PS5 upscaled and polished especially the Sony 1st party exclusives with:

HDR
VRR (Freesync)
60fps

What about saving PS4/PS4Pro games on the external hard drive connected to the PS5? I want to buy a PS5 with PS4 games, because I skipped out on PS4/PS4Pro, and now I can finally play them on PS5 upscaled and polished especially the Sony 1st party exclusives with:

HDR
VRR (Freesync)
60fps

You can play PS4 games off an external. Your load times will suffer quite a bit though compared to the internal drive.

Heck I'm planning on getting many PS4 games and using an external on my PS5.

Last edited:
You can play PS4 games off an external. Your load times will suffer quite a bit though compared to the internal drive.

Heck I'm planning on getting many PS4 games and using an external on my PS5.

None of what you’re looking for is possible yet. You might as well wait.

I will wait for official guidelines and approvals from Sony on external hard drives to save PS4/PS4Pro games and PS5.

I bought a budget SSD (Samsung QVO 870), 2TBs for 190 bucks on sale at the time. I use this external enclosure with my PS5.

All my PS4 games on it, performs wonderfully on my PS5. Faster loading times than a PS4 Pro internal drive.

I am still anxiously awaiting the Sony update that activates the internal expansion bay so I can buy a compatible NVMe drive to plug in there for more PS5 game storage

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

So I was finally able to get a Digital Edition, got delivered Wednesday and I've been playing a ton. Before I go through my first impressions, I played primarily last-gen on PS4 and PS4 Pro, I did not own an Xbox One. I was unsuccessful in pre-ordering any PS5's last year, despite my best attempts, but I was able to pre-order the Series X and got it on release day. I've put hundreds of hours on the Series X so far, and overall I'm quite impressed with the machine. I don't want to re-iterate things that have been said a million times like the speed of the SSD, but there are a couple things I wanted to mention:

1) The DualSense controller is absolutely incredible, I'm blown away by how good it is and how good it feels. I thought the Series X controller was an improvement from the Xbox One controller, but the DualSense is incredible! Sony knocked everything about this controller out of the park. The build quality, input latency, haptics, mic, battery life, overall it's just a massive improvement over the DualShock 4.

2) The overall UX is a breath of fresh air, I'm really enjoying the new interface and how snappy everything feels, as well as the minimalist approach Sony is taking. There are some glaring issues though, like the lack of a friend activity feed and the Store being a cluttered mess. I know some people dislike the UI, but I feel like Sony has some great plans for the future and the foundation (like the card system and game help) looks very solid. I look forward to seeing how they build on it.

I think the majority of my gaming time is going to be spent on the PS5, the controller and the future-potential of the UX have me very excited for things to come. I'm curious if the past 7 years of PS4 has skewed my opinion a little, but even though (on paper) the Series X has more horsepower, I just feel at home with the PS5 and it excites me way more than the Xbox. While all this is personal opinion, I'm curious how others who own both consoles feel on this topic.
I love my PS5 and Demons Souls and Spider-Man look incredible, huge JRPG fan so PlayStation has always been my home for that and multiplayer titles on Xbox because of the controller, maimed PS4 and PS3 previous gens.

feel this gen I will main Xbox as I hate the design of the Dualsense, as a huge FPS player it’s design is terrible and it’s really irking me, for everything else it’s brilliant with the triggers and rumble and Sony’s exclusive will kill it every time especially with these new implementations.

xrnzaaas

Who thought it would be a good idea to feature piano black on the front around the USB ports? I already have two small scratches from inserting my pendrive.

small_law

I managed to order a ps5 from amazon.de yesterday. It's a used one and has been send back for some reason. I don't care cuz I will still have my warranty and it was 70 euros cheaper than a new one. So I can download demon's souls kinda for free I guess. So hyped right now. Hope it gets here next week.
Amazon.de came through for me the day the console was announced. An absolute legend here on gaf tipped me off. While the Germans were sleeping, I znuck in and took zeir PlayStations, yah?

I love my PS5 and Demons Souls and Spider-Man look incredible, huge JRPG fan so PlayStation has always been my home for that and multiplayer titles on Xbox because of the controller, maimed PS4 and PS3 previous gens.

feel this gen I will main Xbox as I hate the design of the Dualsense, as a huge FPS player it’s design is terrible and it’s really irking me, for everything else it’s brilliant with the triggers and rumble and Sony’s exclusive will kill it every time especially with these new implementations.

Oh really I thought it was you were called Mr Xbox.

:messenger_winking_tongue:

haha !
I've scored the last piece of the puzzle -Sony Pulse 3d headset !!! I am daily checking all of the online stores and finally it showed up un one. Should be here tomorrow.
So that's 3080, ps5 and pulse 3d... all rarest things on earth lol. Now I gotta replay Demons Souls when the headset comes here !

I hope it's not terrible. I never had wireless headset before. I am using Koss Porta pro on my for years now so I expect pulse 3d to be a downgrade but we will see.
I did had a chance to try Razer blackshark v2 pro few days ago and it was pretty great... 50% more expensive but it was neat.
could you share your thoughts on pulse 3D, not been able to find one just yet!

Mr.ODST

The shape or the features for an FPS?
The shape and some features for FPS, I turn everything off in settings but something feels off.

I have big hands so realistically it’s better than the DS4, either way I’m not saying it’s a bad controller overall just for me and my needs to have a comfortable FPS experience

mitchman

Gold Member
The shape and some features for FPS, I turn everything off in settings but something feels off.

I have big hands so realistically it’s better than the DS4, either way I’m not saying it’s a bad controller overall just for me and my needs to have a comfortable FPS experience
As rare as a PS5 itself? Get outta here!

Data Ghost

haha !

Spoiler: The 3D audio is really uneventful if you have been used to any kind of surround sound system, especially Dolby Atmos one.

Top Bottom