• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Hey, not to derail, but if there ever was an ill-fated console that should've been destined for more, it was the Dreamcast. Still beloved by many, including myself.

And hey--they showed that power, rather than show lackluster material. Soul Calibur still stands tall even now if you ask me.

Sinthor

Gold Member
I think there could be one more point about 3rd party exclusives. Yeah people hate them but ...

There is a console market and while the PS5 and Xsex have similar amounts of gpu and cpu power and VRAM, there is a big disparity in SSD performance and throughput - more than 100% difference based on current published specs.

As a multiplat dev what do you do? Easiest is designing and coding for the common denominator and make games that run on all platforms pretty much identically. That means ignoring the enhanced capabilities that the PS5 SSD solution may offer, not to mention dual sense and the tempest engine.

But Sony don’t want that - they want games that work to their console’s strengths regardless of whether they’re 3rd party or not. They want a string of third party games that look like the Epic UE5 demo because that will drive hardware sales

Moneyhatting 3rd parties is one way to get games focused on using the PS5 HW and assuming they’re timed exclusives, leave the problem of porting/supporting multiple hardware levels for later.

The same happens in reverse of course with those timed exclusives on Xsex eventually going the other way.

Good point. But if the system is as fast as all of that...why should it take special coding to take advantage of? I mean, ideally at least, if you design a game for the PS5 and it is resident on that SSD shouldn't it just be fast and faster than it would be on an SSD and i/O system that's half as fast? I'm not sure I buy the narrative that developers will have to do too much to take advantage of that speed. We will see though!

Bryank75

Banned

Sony shares are sitting at their highest level since June 2001, despite a dip on Wednesday. Analysts say there could be further upside in the next year as Sony prepares to launch the flagship PlayStation 5 games console.

The Japanese electronics giant posted better-than-expected earnings on Tuesday for the April to June quarter and provided an outlook ahead of consensus.

On average, analysts polled by Refinitiv expect Sony shares to hit 9,538.95 yen ($90.35) in the next 12 months, around 9.5% upside from Wednesday’s opening price, buoyed by the company’s strong gaming business and recovery in its image sensor division.

Under the two CEOs, Sony has put a large emphasis on its gaming division. In fact, in Sony’s fiscal first quarter that just ended, the company’s game and network services unit accounted for about 54% of total operating profit.

Sony forecast a modest year-on-year rise of 0.6% in the gaming division’s operating profit at 240 billion yen for its fiscal year that concludes at end March 2021. That is even as Sony estimates that group profit to decline. Revenue for the gaming business is forecast to jump over 26% year-on-year to 2.5 trillion yen, according to the company.

With people staying home more in the second quarter of the year due to coronavirus-related shutdowns around the world, Sony sold 91 million software units — or games. That was a more than 82% year-on-year rise, even as sales of consoles declined. Of the total number of games sold, 74% were from digital downloads, the highest number on record.

Meanwhile, Sony’s subscription service called PlayStation Plus, saw subscriber numbers reach 44.9 million in the April to June quarter, higher than 36.2 million in the same period last year.

These trends will help Sony’s earnings going forward, analysts said.

“Across the board if you look at games in particular, what was truly impressive was the strong, over 80% growth in the digital content sales which drove

strong profit growth both in the first quarter, and I think will raise expectations for the full year,” Damian Thong, co-head of Asia technology research at Macquarie Capital Securities, told CNBC’s “Squawk Box Asia.”

Last edited:

alstrike

The train if there's no God of War announcement.
TTTZ72HUTW4BJ6BVOIJ7XPGLLU.jpg

OFF TOPIC:

I reported this message but apparently nothing happened so I'll tell you directly:

In that accident 80 people lost their lives (including one of my best friends), so I'd appreciate if people didn't use it for comedic purposes.

Bryank75

Banned
Sony should lockdown Fall Guys and try and make Mediatonic first or second party, it's the exact type of party game / multiplayer game PlayStation needs and can be expanded a lot.

It's a very fun game and very popular...

Last edited:
VFXVeteran VFXVeteran just gave us some of his thoughts on HZD.

Here's a link incase anyone is interested.

Vae_Victis

Banned
VFXVeteran VFXVeteran just gave us some of his thoughts on HZD.

Here's a link incase anyone is interested.
Please, don't feed low-hanging fruit trolls. It's not worth it. Just put him on ignore and pretend he doesn't exist.

People like him never say they are or have been wrong, admit they have changed their position or move the discussion forward along with everybody else. He'll just endlessly pivot to a different example/excuse/topic/argument from authority/lie no matter what you argue or present to him, until either you get tired and stop replying or the thread gets destroyed.

Vae_Victis

Banned
V02TKFh.jpg

Lance is not a fanboy, an idiot or an attention-seeker, but I'm genuinely wondering where he's getting this info from, if from anywhere. Could be in contact with somebody with a PS5 devkit I suppose, but it's so weird that of all people it's him coming out stating this, and then he deletes the tweet.

Last edited:

Fake

Lance is not a fanboy, an idiot or an attention-seeker, but I'm genuinely wondering where he's getting this info from, if from anywhere. Could be in contact with somebody with a PS5 devkit I suppose, but it's so weird that of all people it's him coming out stating this, and then he deletes the tweet.

Maybe even him can't confirm this after Cenny talk about some PS4 games getting broke on PS5 because they was made with the PS4 hardware in mind.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Maybe even him can't confirm this after Cenny talk about some PS4 games getting broke on PS5 because they was made with the PS4 hardware in mind.
Yeah but, that's hardly news. I don't think Sony even mentioned backwards-compatibility anywhere since the Road to PlayStation 5 event and blogpost. Here Lance says "he can confirm now", which strongly suggests he has been given new information.

It's entirely possible he is in contact or friends with somebody working on a PS5 to some extent that has access to this information, I'm just really surprised none of the people with good insider information (for example Jeff Grubb or RedGamingTech) were able to take the scoop on this, if it is indeed internally known.

Last edited:

Fake

Yeah but, that's hardly news. I don't think Sony even mentioned backwards-compatibility anywhere since the Road to PlayStation 5 event and blogpost. Here Lance says "he can confirm now", which strongly suggests he has been given new information.

It's entirely possible he is in contact or friends with somebody working on a PS5 to some extent that has access to this information, I'm just really surprised none of the people with good insider information (for example Jeff Grubb or RedGamingTech) were able to take the scoop on this, if it is indeed internally known.

By some reddit leaks, Sony is probably testing stuff with some loyal Playstation users, mainly the Dualsense, since now the Dualsense will get software update just like the Xbox One Controler and the Joycon already have.

FeiRR

Banned
Maybe he's a tester of those games. It's a project which requires a lot of manpower and skilled players with tech knowledge are the best choice.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Maybe he's a tester of those games. It's a project which requires a lot of manpower and skilled players with tech knowledge are the best choice.
He's relatively famous in some gaming circles (especially Dark Souls / Bloodborne), and in the last year he made "mainstream" news several times for finding hidden stuff in PS4 games he hacked the game camera of. He's definitely not technically illiterate (he managed to inject code into an unmodified copy of Bloodborne running on a devkit PS4 Pro to unlock the framerate to 60), so if he comes out with a specific statement like this he's not just parroting something he doesn't understand, he understands exactly what he's talking about and what what he's saying means.

Sony must definitely be aware of him to some extent, and I have a very hard time believing they would let him within a 100 Km radius to any new piece of tech without making him sign an encyclopedia of NDAs. And I doubt he would then immediately go and break and NDA so openly and blatantly.

Somebody must have passed the information to him and he put it out, but he probably started getting too much heat from all sides and decided to take a step back to let the situation cool off.

sircaw

Banned
Was it you and sircaw sircaw having a Bo romance again :messenger_beaming:

It will be quiet anyway for a week or so until the next showings....your not missing much

don't mention my name with Bo please, we are not cut from the same cloth. No bonny and Clyde going on here.
I REPEAT MODS I DONT WANT A BAN, I am a good person.

I KNOW MY LIMITS.

On a serious note, it's very very quiet, gives you time to prepare Bo for the next war.... i mean xbox showing.

Top Bottom