• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

ToadMan

Anyone want to talk about what moves they would like to see PlayStation / Sony make in terms of strategy in the next year or so?
i.e. IP's, acquisitions, talent or expansions.... partnerships etc.

Sure!

So here’s the problem - gaming is becoming increasingly ubiquitous. MS, Amazon, Google, perhaps Apple and others are looking to producing subscription based gaming services across multiple platforms. Not to mention the explosion of mobile gaming.

Consoles are becoming marginalised in the gaming space and going forward there’s every reason to believe that will continue.

Ultimately that will make PS custom hardware and brand unsustainable.

Here’s my suggestion to address this problem.

Sony should make a deal with MS (and/or Amazon, Google, Apple) to put Sony 1st party games on gamepass (or equivalents)

Yeah controversial I know but hear me out.

If you look at subscription services like Netflix or Spotify - they don’t make money. MS won’t make money from gamepass and neither will amazon, google or anyone else. Those services need continual new content and that siphons off all the cash they make from subscriptions.

The companies that make the content that goes on those subscription services .... they make money. They make money for the same reason movie production companies make money but cinemas don’t.

So, wait until PS5 is a proven sales success and again dominating the gen - I don’t see why it wouldn’t. That should be evident about 12 to 18 months into the gen.

Then Sony can sell that content to MS (or indeed Amazon or Google or even epic - just start a bidding war) and let them do the marketing and delivery. Sony can just sit back and watch the cash roll in.

If they want they can say non Xbox hardware only - there won’t be any further custom hardware from MS after this coming gen. If Sony want they can say 1 year+ after PlayStation launch along with other restrictions to maintain the PlayStation the “best place to play” but not the only place.

Sony should do it to position themselves for the future. Trying to draw the wagons round and protect the PlayStation eco system in the face of completion from Amazon, Google, MS and even Apple, isn’t going to generate the revenue they need long term to keep PlayStation relevant.

At the same time they can introduce a form of gamepass onto the PlayStation platform if they do the deal with MS and charge MS for the access.

TLDR - Sony should keep producing high quality content and sell it across multiple platforms in return for licensing/royalty fees.

Last edited:

DonJimbo

Anyone want to talk about what moves they would like to see PlayStation / Sony make in terms of strategy in the next year or so?
Make psplus more attractive with a service like Gamespass with all the portfolio they have with a very attractive price they will get a massiv Base

Bryank75

Banned
Sure!

Sonheres the problem - gaming is becoming increasingly ubiquitous. MS, Amazon, Google, perhaps Apple and others are looking to producing subscription based gaming services across multiple platforms. Not to mention the explosion of mobile gaming.

Consoles are becoming marginalised in the gaming space and going forward there’s every reason to believe that will continue.

Ultimatey that will make PS custom hardware and brand unsustainable.

Here’s my suggestion to address this problem.

Sony should make a deal with MS (and/or Amazon, Google, Apple) to put Sony 1st party games on gamepass (or equivalents)

Yeah controversial I know but hear me out.

If you look at subscription services like Netflix or Spotify - they don’t make money. MS won’t make money from gamepass and neither will amazon, google or anyone else. Those services need continual new content and that siphons off all the cash they make from subscriptions.

The companies that make the content that goes on those subscription services .... they make money. They make money for the same reason movie production companies make money but cinemas don’t.

So, wait until PS5 is a proven sales success and again dominating the gen - I don’t see why it wouldn’t. That should be evident about 12 to 18 months into the gen.

Then Sony can sell that content to MS (or indeed Amazon or Google or even epic - just start a bidding war) and let them do the marketing and delivery. Sony can just sit back and watch the cash roll in.

If they want they can say non Xbox hardware only - there won’t be any further custom hardware from MS after this coming gen. If Somy want they can say 1 year+ after PlayStation launch along with other restrictions to maintain the PlayStation the “best place to play” but not the only place.

Sony has should do it to position themselves for the future. Trying to draw the wagons round and protect the PlayStation eco system in the face of completion from Amazon, Google, MS and even Apple, isn’t going to generate the revenue they need long term to keep PlayStation relevant.

At the same time they can introduce a form of gamepass onto the PlayStation platform if they do the deal with MS and charge MS for the access.

TLDR - Sony should keep producing high quality content and sell it across multiple platforms in return for licensing/royalty fees.
I think Nintendo and Sony will sell consoles as long as they have great content.

I don't believe streaming is the future, it has shown to be a failure at every turn. If we look at console sales even now they are more hyped this launch than last and have higher expected sales for PlayStation at least.

Now, where I do agree with you is that SOny have to control content going to GamePass and streaming in general. But 1st party as it is needs to stay on PlayStation....

What they could do is license MLB for a decent price and then buy publishers like Capcom and Square and Sega and license their games to Xbox...... gradually increasing the prices till it bleeds them for billions.

Of course the big games would be timed exclusive to PS consoles. But many games would go to GP etc.

The money would get reinvested in 1st party true exclusives.

What do you think?

Bryank75

Banned
Make psplus more attractive with a service like Gamespass with all the portfolio they have with a very attractive price they will get a massiv Base
I was thinking about PS+ and had an idea....you might not like it...but maybe you will.

Instead of having 2 games every month... move to a 3 month minimum sub. and have 2 launch day games per quarter.

Fifa and COD base games for free every year.... up-gradable by paying and then they make money off the battlepasses and mtx.

ToadMan

I think Nintendo and Sony will sell consoles as long as they have great content.

I don't believe streaming is the future, it has shown to be a failure at every turn. If we look at console sales even now they are more hyped this launch than last and have higher expected sales for PlayStation at least.

Now, where I do agree with you is that SOny have to control content going to GamePass and streaming in general. But 1st party as it is needs to stay on PlayStation....

What they could do is license MLB for a decent price and then buy publishers like Capcom and Square and Sega and license their games to Xbox...... gradually increasing the prices till it bleeds them for billions.

Of course the big games would be timed exclusive to PS consoles. But many games would go to GP etc.

The money would get reinvested in 1st party true exclusives.

What do you think?

I’m not sure Sony have access to the cash to just buy publishers and studios of the size of capcom, square or sega. They might be able to do something if those companies agree to a voluntary partnership though.

The problem is the other companies entering the space - Apple, Amazon and of course MS - have a lot of money ...

So yeah, I love the concept of Sony gathering studios and licensing the content out to the subscription platforms - I just can’t see how Sony outbid those other companies.

It s gonna be interesting to see how the dust settles at the end of all this though.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

I’m not sure Sony have access to the cash to just buy publishers and studios of the size of capcom, square or sega. They might be able to do something if those companies agree to a voluntary partnership though.

The problem is the other companies entering the space - Apple, Amazon and of course MS - have a lot of money ...

So yeah, I love the concept of Sony gathering studios and licensing the content out to the subscription platforms - I just can’t see how Sony outbid those other companies.

It s gonna be interesting to see how the dust settles at the end of all this though.
Sony don't have to buy studios to bring games to PS ecosystem, they have their consoles fast growing install base and users that buy games at full price, that's quite a leverage to entice companies against a subscription model I don't think can bring them the same financial return.

DonJimbo

I was thinking about PS+ and had an idea....you might not like it...but maybe you will.

Instead of having 2 games every month... move to a 3 month minimum sub. and have 2 launch day games per quarter.

Fifa and COD base games for free every year.... up-gradable by paying and then they make money off the battlepasses and mtx.
It's a very good idea and I agree with that but I have to add that Sony must make their free games permanently so that the users can access their games in the library even after their subscripion ends like games with gold

Bryank75

Banned
It's a very good idea and I agree with that but I have to add that Sony must make their free games permanently so that the users can access their games in the library even after their subscripion ends like games with gold
Yes and it would work anyway cause people need PS+ to play those games online... so there is no point holding them hostage behind the paywall.

Bryank75

Banned

They actually have a lot more money and options than people realize.

33 billion cash (As of last reporting) probably over 35 now.

MS had over 100 billion (was 130 but after acquisitions lately could be lower)
However they have huge longterm debt (which Sony doesnt have) of over 60 billion.
So if you net that, they would only have around 50 billion.

Also since Sony has low debt, they can actually issue a lot more debt if they need to finance something.
So 35 billion cash plus possibly over 20 billion debt financing if needed.

So they could buy Take Two just using debt of needed. (Which is what I would do and let it pay its self off over time)

If the Japanese government is protecting video games companies from acquisition, then there is no need for Sony to acquire. But if they are not, they need to buy soon. IMO.
They could buy Capcom, Square and Sega, just by owning over 51% of their stock.... which can be done for just over 10 billion, they could manage easily.

DrDamn

What games will be day 1 purchases for the folks here?

Demon's Souls.
Spiderman Deluxe - skipped it on PS4 so being able to play the whole thing + MM sounds great to me.
Then one or two of Sackboy, Godfall and Destruction All-stars - depending on reviews and impressions. Will wait on some to drop in price.

I have a healthy backlog of big PS4 titles and never upgraded to a Pro (still rocking my day one PS4).

DrDamn

I like the idea of the PS+ Collection. Hopefully they gradually expand it to cover most of their PS4 output and then start adding PS5 content in a few years.

I think Bluepoint need to be bought in house. I'd love to see Japan Studio do a big JRPG maybe in collaboration with someone else.

I find this interesting

Spider-Man remastered is dynamic 4K

But Miles Morales just says 4K, so it's static 4K?

DonJimbo

Yes and it would work anyway cause people need PS+ to play those games online... so there is no point holding them hostage behind the paywall.
Exactly I'm very curious to see what Sony has for plans regarding plus this coming generation maybe I have to lower my expectations after seeing hfw, SM MM and Sackboy and maybe GOW Ragnarok are cross gen

Ah fuck. I just got an email from one of the largest retailers in Sweden, Webhallen. I pre-ordered the PS5 in April this year but apparently it's "highly unlikely" that I will get one before Christmas.

Geez, I wonder how early everyone else pre-ordered 😳.. My friend who did it one year earlier hasn't received the same email at least..

I'm so fucking disappointed right now.

Ah fuck. I just got an email from one of the largest retailers in Sweden, Webhallen. I pre-ordered the PS5 in April this year but apparently it's "highly unlikely" that I will get one before Christmas.

Geez, I wonder how early everyone else pre-ordered 😳.. My friend who did it one year earlier hasn't received the same email at least..

You should have been prioritized since you put your pre-order in so early. I feel like a few places got very small allocations.

ghairat

Well, they shouldn't have accepted pre-orders before the console price was revealed lol.

TheContact

I think a lot of the games that are releasing now pretty much have to be a free upgrade to next gen otherwise people would, wisely, hold off until the next gen version is released.

Neo Blaster

For those who have PSVR and are upgrading your tv sets to enjoy new features like VRR, ALLM and 120Hz on PS5, are you concerned about the breaker box passthrough? First version wouldn't work with HDR, which was addressed by the revision, but what about now? Will I have to keep it unplugged when not using VR?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
For those who have PSVR and are upgrading your tv sets to enjoy new features like VRR, ALLM and 120Hz on PS5, are you concerned about the breaker box passthrough? First version wouldn't work with HDR, which was addressed by the revision, but what about now? Will I have to keep it unplugged when not using VR?

I would suggest a bi-directional splitter like this one (and some HDMI 2.1 rated cables, not for the cables going to the PSVR breakout box or from it and the A/V receiver or the TV):

Fosmon 2-Port HDMI 2.0 Switch 4K 60Hz, 2x1 / 1x2 Bi-Directional HDMI Switcher UHD 4Kx2K 3D HD 1080p HDCP, 2 Input 1 Output Splitter Hub Compatible with HDTV, PS4, Xbox One, Apple TV, Roku, Fire Stick https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LFX1UDM/

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Guy takes a 3D printed PS5 to Ikea to see in what TV stands it'll fit into. Not in English but pretty self-explanatory:

Also, Slippery Sony tried to get this one past us but the fixed SSD in the PS5 means that it'll actually have a limited life span till the SSD is rendered useless. Hope you don't expect to be playing your PS5 for more than 7 years! I mean 17... no sorry, 171 years.

Last edited:

FranXico

Guy takes a 3D printed PS5 to Ikea to see in what TV stands it'll fit into. Not in English but pretty self-explanatory:

Also, Slippery Sony tried to get this one past us but the fixed SSD in the PS5 means that it'll actually have a limited life span till the SSD is rendered useless. Hope you don't expect to be playing your PS5 for more than 7 years! I mean 17... no sorry, 171 years.

That DRAM was totally unnecessary.

LordOfChaos

:pie_thinking:

aFruBzH.jpg

buenoblue

Probably already answered but will all my psplus ps4 games carry over to ps5. Will I have to transfer them? Or will they just be on my account. Really looking forward to replaying untill dawn with a locked framerate.

DrDamn

Probably already answered but will all my psplus ps4 games carry over to ps5. Will I have to transfer them? Or will they just be on my account. Really looking forward to replaying untill dawn with a locked framerate.

They will just be available to download as they are attached to your account. Until Dawn specifically is also included in the PS+ Collection which includes:

• Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Battlefield 1
  • Bloodborne
  • Days Gone
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Fallout 4
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • God of War
  • Infamous Second Son
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Persona 5
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • Until Dawn

Ar¢tos

They will just be available to download as they are attached to your account. Until Dawn specifically is also included in the PS+ Collection which includes:

• Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Battlefield 1
  • Bloodborne
  • Days Gone
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Fallout 4
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • God of War
  • Infamous Second Son
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Persona 5
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • Until Dawn
Bloodborne will be alive again! :) (at least for the first couple of months after the ps5 release)

THEAP99

Banned
My ps-4 is officially sold. Now starts a full month without gaming for me until the dawn of the new generation a month from now on November 12th, 2020 (assuming it arrives on time as Walmart currently says it will, and I can take the road trip back home for it). #PS5

Top Bottom