• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

diffusionx

Gold Member
The performance we are getting is pretty insane though... I mean the 3080 is not doing anything more on WD Legion.

The ray tracing and detail in Spider-man and Demons Souls is also insane.

We haven't seen WD Legion running on a PS5, I guarantee the 3080 runs it better. There is more to graphics than just framerate and resolution.

I think the PS5 is a fine console and a nice upgrade over the PS4, but as always, it's a console.

Bryank75

Banned
We haven't seen WD Legion running on a PS5, I guarantee the 3080 runs it better. There is more to graphics than just framerate and resolution.

I think the PS5 is a fine console and a nice upgrade over the PS4, but as always, it's a console.
Of course, it costs 700 dollars on its own but we must see anyway.... my point is that for 500 you're getting insane value.

Kind of sad that the "PS5 Pro" would use a GPU that is coming out literally one week after the PS5 amateur.
I cannot imagine these gpus to b
6800 XT is PS5's future PS5 Pro method, 36x36=72CU. And it has 20.74TF (halved is 10.37TF) and 128 ROPs (halved is 64 ROPs):

Something similar on 5nm-3nm should work perfectly ;)
Difficult to imagine AMD being able to reduce power significantly. I don't know how these GPUs will fit in consoles in the future. Seems like Sony is working on a future of high power GPUs. We can see from their patents and PS5 liquid metal cooling.

GonSama

Vg7YSb9.png

Full data here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17v0a85RS6uOO8Im5UFH6EhIiHxUZ6Azja2qv7gpLgtE/edit#gid=0

Last edited:
So, I said this before. In his presentation earlier this year, Cerny was comparing PS5 to XsX. He emphasized that PS5 has RDNA2 CUs, he emphasized that RT is exactly the same as AMD's GPUs. He also emphasized that RDNA2 comes with feature sets that are malleable and that he chose what he thinks are beneficial for his vision. Thus, he dropped some features and replaced them with other stuff such as Cache scrubbers and Geometry engine.

Thinks became very clear today after AMD's presentation.

Also, Cerny was able to maximize RDNA2 frequency buy allowing PS5 to run at continuous boost. Thanks to his smart power management.

I cannot wait for DF videos 2 weeks from now. I will need to buy alot of popcorn to watch the simple math of 40 to 50 fps difference on average.

Entroyp

So, I said this before. In his presentation earlier this year, Cerny was comparing PS5 to XsX. He emphasized that PS5 has RDNA2 CUs, he emphasized that RT is exactly the same as AMD's GPUs. He also emphasized that RDNA2 comes with feature sets that are malleable and that he chose what he thinks are beneficial for his vision. Thus, he dropped some features and replaced them with other stuff such as Cache scrubbers and Geometry engine.

Thinks became very clear today after AMD's presentation.

Also, Cerny was able to maximize RDNA2 frequency buy allowing PS5 to run at continuous boost. Thanks to his smart power management.

I cannot wait for DF videos 2 weeks from now. I will need to buy alot of popcorn to watch the simple math of 40 to 50 fps difference on average.

Oh man, are we expecting a 40-50 fps difference between the consoles? That’s huge.

jaysius

Banned

More a negative than a positive that they're supporting this pile of trash beyond the PS4. Who knows though, maybe on a PS5 with more power the games might look better than PS3 games. It's not a full on dumpster fire, the thing is very comfy for extended periods of time. I didn't sweat too much while using it, the sense of "presence" was only there with the Office work sim game, but it "felt" neat for that. We need real VR controllers, burn the lollipops in a fire.
I guess I was just hoping they'd scrap this thing and move forward from the ground up.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Why do my fellow Sony fans feel the need to parrot the obnoxious statements fanboy YouTubers make?

It's called the "company line" those 'tubers read talking points, get to put their own brand's twist on them and then the fanbois go crazy with it. Youtube is more paid for than many ads these days. You "tow" the company line by spouting the agreed talking points throughout a video.

This isn't unique to Sony, it's from all sides(Sony, MS, Nintendo, Apple etc.).

Last edited:

Crm114

Have any of the people unboxing the PS5 described the texture of the two out shells? Is it just regular hard plastic with a protective coating? I'm doing my prep work and getting the right paints/sand paper so that I can customize it myslf :) Any info is appreciated thanks

THEAP99

Banned
I have a strong hunch that whenever all these embargos lift, Sony are going to be flamed by journalists for their backwards compatibility solution compared to Microsoft's. Just something to get ready for.

I have a strong hunch that whenever all these embargos lift, Sony are going to be flamed by journalists for their backwards compatibility solution compared to Microsoft's. Just something to get ready for.

Are you saying that Sony lied about the numbers of games that are BC?

THEAP99

Banned
Are you saying that Sony lied about the numbers of games that are BC?
No. But this journalist has both consoles and I suspect that journalists are just going to praise the hell out of the Xbox bc solutions

Especially since it seems ps5 bc doesn't allow games to benefit much from the new hardware

Last edited:

Thedtrain

No. But this journalist has both consoles and I suspect that journalists are just going to praise the hell out of the Xbox bc solutions

Especially since it seems ps5 bc doesn't allow games to benefit much from the new hardware

Maybe I’m mistaken, but what do these journalist have to play that isn’t current gen?

By default the PS5 has boost mode which will help with variable framerates and resolution. If a game goes higher than the cap it's because the developer patched it thst way. To my knowledge the XSX doesn't automatically do that for them.

THEAP99

Banned
By default the PS5 has boost mode which will help with variable framerates and resolution. If a game goes higher than the cap it's because the developer patched it thst way. To my knowledge the XSX doesn't automatically do that for them.
Well lance mcdonald said sekiro doesn't do 60fps on ps5 and needs a patch but on the series it already does it. He also said there's bugs with games in ps5 bc.

Also, I don't think Sony has remotely confirmed all ps4 games getting higher frame rates and such. In fact, it's mind boggling that there's still plenty of first party games that haven't gotten news about ps5 enhancements.

Well lance mcdonald said sekiro doesn't do 60fps on ps5 and needs a patch but on the series it already does it. He also said there's bugs with games in ps5 bc.

Also, I don't think Sony has remotely confirmed all ps4 games getting higher frame rates and such. In fact, it's mind boggling that there's still plenty of first party games that haven't gotten news about ps5 enhancements.

Wasn't the Sekiro thing debunked already?

Time to end the concern

Also reading through that it appears a patch isn't needed for Sekiro to run at 60FPs. And the buggy comment was about some PS4 games running with boost mode enabled not necessarily just BC.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I hope I'll be able to get my hands on a pulse 3d headset soon. I didn't preorder one as I don't normally use headphones but it looks like this will be pretty popular.

Fuck, I want to get back to gaming for real but the lack of time and living in the country where I'm living... gives me second thoughts.

Not only that but the connection on my apartment is pretty shit (living in a hotel apartment where Wifi is included and for me to change it it's quite complicated). I don't care about buying digitally but playing online would be pretty cool. And there's still no fucking way of knowing when the console will launch here :messenger_hushed:

I even thought about buying a used ps4 just to play the games I've missed until I can buy a PS5, but feels like a waste of money.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, I can't believe it's just a couple weeks away from next-gen starting when Sony says so.

I can't wait to play the best game ever made called Bugsnax and then maybe put in that silly little Demon's Souls disc some other day.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Can't sleep. Having anxiety over if my ps5 preorder from Walmart somehow would get cancelled. I check my pre order 8 times a day

This is my concern.

No anxiety but trusting that Argos (UK) keep saying ‘we’ve got your pre order it will be delivered on release day’ and then when they actually count how many they get they’ll email me, release day probably, and say ‘so we got our numbers wrong and to say sorry here’s a £10 voucher to use when you spend £250 in store’

That and the fact they’ve had my £450 sat in their bank account since I pre-ordered. I bet I don’t get the money back same day even though they took it from my account same day.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Just got a clarification on my pre-order and unfortunately it looks like I won't get my PS5 on launch day, but instead sometime in the middle or end of December. All the accessories and games will arrive on Nov. 19th. What a bummer. Was so hyped and now I gotta wait another month. Goddamn it. My only solace is that it will arrive this year and not 2021, considering how difficult it is to get one.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just got a clarification on my pre-order and unfortunately it looks like I won't get my PS5 on launch day, but instead sometime in the middle or end of December. All the accessories and games will arrive on Nov. 19th. What a bummer. Was so hyped and now I gotta wait another month. Goddamn it. My only solace is that it will arrive this year and not 2021, considering how difficult it is to get one.
Damn, that's a kick in the nuts. Who id you order from and when? Seems late for them to just be notifying you of that now.

Mr Hyde

Damn, that's a kick in the nuts. Who id you order from and when? Seems late for them to just be notifying you of that now.

I ordered from Mediamarkt on September 18th. I got a confirmation e-mail that I was to get a PS5 on Nov 19th, but now I got another confirmation that my PS5 won't arrive until middle or end Dec. I missed the first batch of consoles, which apparently was of very small quantity, so my order is with the second batch which will arrive in Dec.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yep, it's 'land of the banned' for some here. We better start to warn people on the next gen thread this is the new PS5 place before mods swing the axe and kill it.
Yeah I noticed a lot of 'Neo Members' piping up in there yesterday. It was almost like it was orchestrated. That thread has nearly served its purpose, not too mush left to speculate on now anyway. Soon we will be seeing a lot of games running on actual hardware (y)

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I ordered from Mediamarkt on September 18th. I got a confirmation e-mail that I was to get a PS5 on Nov 19th, but now I got another confirmation that my PS5 won't arrive until middle or end Dec. I missed the first batch of consoles, which apparently was of very small quantity, so my order is with the second batch which will arrive in Dec.
That's a bit rough, you would think that they would have said it was an estimate in the first instance. At least (hopefully) you will get one this year. I hope it is not a wider trend and this starts happening to more retailers. We had one retailer here (in the UK) take a load of orders off their own accord before Sony's allocation and they had to disappoint a lot of people.

Hang in there and try and enjoy the hype in the meantime, at least you will benefit from seeing impressions of which games are good and worthwhile.

Top Bottom