• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

TrackZ

Anyone know anything about audio quality for headphones with a PS5 being worse when wired to a controller vs. wireless direct to the console? I think I saw this noted. I'm curious on the 3D audio and using the Sennheiser Game One I already have vs. considering the new Sony Pulse headset. The Sennheiser were like 2+ the cost of the Pulse.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Finally got a DualSense charging stand. Walmart app said one of the local stores had a few in stock. Went down there and there were none on the shelf. One guy said they had NO PS5 stuff at all (despite them having the HD camera and every game in stock) but another guy went in the back and walked out with two boxes of charging stands.

Casanova

For those that have it, has there been a noticeable improvement to input lag? It’s one of the main reasons I chose to play most games on my PC over my ps4 pro. I can’t stand when there is a lag between my controller input and what happens on screen.

mitchman

Gold Member
For those that have it, has there been a noticeable improvement to input lag? It’s one of the main reasons I chose to play most games on my PC over my ps4 pro. I can’t stand when there is a lag between my controller input and what happens on screen.
With 60+ fps games, input lag is half compared to 30 fps, so yes there is a difference to the better.

decisions

Well my perfect PS5 experience has officially been ruined. I’m a bit worried about my console at this point...

- Black Ops crashed twice
- Graphical artifacting in Black Ops
- Demon’s Souls won’t start. Locks on start-up screen. Gonna delete and retry.

Dibils2k

its genuinely worrying the amount of problems people are having with their PS5s

i am usually unlucky with hardware so this doesnt bode well for my PS5 coming this week 😆😬

Am I the only one that thinks the UI is a major downgrade coming from the PS4?

Party/friend system is convoluted. Main home screen doesn't show as much useful info. Multiple extra steps to do basic tasks. Guesswork into what menus you need to dive into. Reliance on auto generated cards for navigation. I even get a bit of lag after pressing the PS button to bring up the menu.

I'm liking the system so far, but can't help but notice the friction from this UI. Feels very half-baked to me. Really hoping for some drastic changes/updates.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well my perfect PS5 experience has officially been ruined. I’m a bit worried about my console at this point...

- Black Ops crashed twice
- Graphical artifacting in Black Ops
- Demon’s Souls won’t start. Locks on start-up screen. Gonna delete and retry.
Is this happening after the new firmware update?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
EU FAG here - Anyone else waiting eagerly for their final shipping confirmation? God those next 48ish hours are gonna be fucking awefull

All my accessories have arrived.

I have 3 shipping, 1 to collect (don't worry all going to friends at face value, I just wanted to make sure I definitely get one day 1)

- Game.co.uk payment taken, confirmed I can collect from store 8am on the day
- Shopto - Notified it was in the warehouse last week (no further update)
- Very - No updates yet
- Amazon - Had an update that it will be delivered launch day (but they I had the equivalent email about my XSX so I won't hold my breathe as that was delivered the following evening)

Got the day booked off work, planning to move the morning routine forward by an hour so I can drop my daughter off at kindergarten early and pick up the first one bang on 8am. My wife has been fully briefed that she needs to listen out for the other deliveries whilst I'm out. What could possibly go wrong?

Today I am taking my 2TB SSD out of my Pro to be used as external storage on my PS5, but first backing all games to an external 4TB HDD. On launch day I will keep the 2TB clean and plug the 4TB into my Pro and transfer the games I want to play on my PS5 most via ethernet.

Plan of attack for when I first boot my PS5 up
  • update firmware
  • update Astrobot
  • Transfer Days Gone from PS4
  • Begin downloads Demon's Souls and MM
  • Transfer other PS4 games
Does anyone know if games can be transferring via ethernet whilst games are also downloading?

TLZ

Banned
Does it say it does, or is it just as cryptic as the updates for the PS4?
It was only one line with no details. There was a QR to scan for more details which I did, but it took me to the PS official homepage instead. Meh.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
The controller is fucking crazy good. I was worried it was going to feel too bulky but it's perfect. The share and options buttons are very nicely placed, you won't accidentally hit them but they are nicely raised compared to the old ones so you have no trouble finding and activating it.

It feels premium, and the feedback stuff is pretty crazy. Had a bit of fun messing around with Astro while installing Demon's Souls & COD. Astro is was better than I expected it to be and a nice intro to the controller features.

PS5 UI and stuff feels pretty meh to me right now, nothing particularly special. The initial boot up graphics were pretty looking, like the image to tell you to plug in your controller, but other than that it all feels like I've been there and done that.

The PS+ collection is a really awesome bundle of freebies as well, added them all to my library.

rofif

Banned
Do You need to use the stand in vertical position ? are there vents underneath?
Also - how much space do I need left above the console when standing it vertically? I will be modyfing the ikea kallax to fit the boi (whenever I get it)

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Amazon has Buy 2 get 1 free on select items. I've filtered the offer down to PS5. Can remove filters to include other consoles, and even other items like POP figures.

Edit: I don't like making threads or searching to see if one exists ;)

Edit: It didn't keep my filter to PS5.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Only issue I've had with mine is when Demon's Souls froze and had to hold power button on console to restart it. No issues at all since then. I haven't used rest mode at all and don't have any external drive attached.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I managed to get Demon Souls, Spiderman and Days Gone installed... while I want to try some other stuff, the issues people are having are scaring me off lol

It's plenty for me to mess with and so far no major problems.

Only problem I did have was returning from rest mode one time Days Gone actually restarted... it sucks because Rest mode is how I use my PS4 Pro.. I don't worry about making sure I have a good save or anything and just play one game at a time for days and rest it.. but think I'll start fully shutting down hearing all the issues people are having.

I do not have any external drive setup and dont plan on it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem I bought a ps5.. Can I be in your guys club now? Don't tell NintendoGAF.

4mqa5b.jpg

I put in a 10 hour sesh yesterday to finish up my evil play through of inFamous to get the Plat. I can’t get over how great the game feels at 60fps. I wish every game had included an uncapped framerate toggle so we could see this boost everywhere.

Cant decide what to do next. Finish Death Stranding, start playing Ghost of Tsushima, try Godfall, try Miles....decisions

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I managed to get Demon Souls, Spiderman and Days Gone installed... while I want to try some other stuff, the issues people are having are scaring me off lol

It's plenty for me to mess with and so far no major problems.

Only problem I did have was returning from rest mode one time Days Gone actually restarted... it sucks because Rest mode is how I use my PS4 Pro.. I don't worry about making sure I have a good save or anything and just play one game at a time for days and rest it.. but think I'll start fully shutting down hearing all the issues people are having.

I do not have any external drive setup and dont plan on it.

Not fully shutting your system will degrade the internals much faster, and you know that ;). My PS4 is dead silent even this late since 2016, and I usually when I play it's 6-24+ hours straight. I don't pet my electronics, but at least give them rest when not needed. Only used rest mode when had shit internet to download games.

IntentionalPun

Not fully shutting your system will degrade the internals much faster, and you know that ;). My PS4 is dead silent even this late since 2016, and I usually when I play it's 6-24+ hours straight. I don't pet my electronics, but at least give them rest when not needed. Only used rest mode when had shit internet to download games.
Eh.. my PS4 Pro is also still silent, and I've used nothing but rest mode.. not sure what the 2 have to do with each other. Rest mode barely does anything but keep the RAM lit up.

Zheph

is that a thing? I do use rest mode all the time

Seems IntentionalPun IntentionalPun too and his baby is fine (mine is not but its another story)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
is that a thing? I do use rest mode all the time

Seems IntentionalPun IntentionalPun too and his baby is fine (mine is not but its another story)

My PC's can live beyond 10 years of extensive use. But I always shut them down. Same goes with my consoles. You can't hear a thing from my PS4 Pro, and while playing GOW you can barely hear the fan. But my room is usually cool, around 18-23C.

IntentionalPun

I still have a launch Xbox 360 that hasn't RROD'd.. I have a fatty PS3 with full BC that still works.. I have an iPhone 4 that still works (just checked actually.).. I literally have never had a console fail on me in my entire life lol

I don't buy warranties because I buy so many electronics and have had so few things break on me that it overall is just not worth it.. I'd have thrown away thousands on warranties had I ever bought one as the only thing I've ever had go bad on me was a TV I owned had a power button go out.. but that was a known flaw from Samsung and they fixed it for free lol, even sent a repairman to my house... I don't even buy warranties on cell phones because I've never even had a major scratch on a screen, let alone broken one, and I don't use screen protectors...

I'm the gawd of babying electronics, and I use rest mode ;)

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I don't believe that the statement "we believe in generations" is necessarily contradicted by releasing certain games on consoles from both generations.
Yeah the framing of the statement from the GamesIndustry.biz article is partly at fault.. but IMO I still think Jim/Sony knew what they were doing. The interview isn't the only thing Sony did.. they also clearly were developing Spiderman MM and Horizon Forbidden West as cross-gen games, and waited a long ass time to reveal that they weren't PS5 exclusives.

It's all meaningless non-committal executive talk that can be taken in 3 different ways and doesn't actually SAY ANYTHING.. but it got a bunch of Sony fans to bash Microsoft and praise Sony.. and it was timed right around a bunch of people criticizing MS's approach to announcing support of cross-gen. And Sony certainly didn't correct any of the ways the article was taken.. or framed.. so they were perfectly fine with the whole world thinking Sony wasn't supporting cross-gen.. and 100% did their best to further that misconception.

All corporate executives are scum.. that's how you become a corporate executive. lol

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah the framing of the statement from the GamesIndustry.biz article is partly at fault.. but IMO I still think Jim/Sony knew what they were doing. The interview isn't the only thing Sony did.. they also clearly were developing Spiderman MM and Horizon Forbidden West as cross-gen games, and waited a long ass time to reveal that they weren't PS5 exclusives.

It's all meaningless non-committal executive talk that can be taken in 3 different ways and doesn't actually SAY ANYTHING.. but it got a bunch of Sony fans to bash Microsoft and praise Sony.. and it was timed right around a bunch of people criticizing MS's approach to announcing support of cross-gen.
You're spot on. We are seeing very similar executive speak with regards to Bethesda and exclusivity, people will project what they want on to these statements but ultimately they are keeping their options open (for business or legal reasons).

IntentionalPun

From the actual interview, Jim says both this:

"We have always felt that we had a responsibility to serve that [PS4] community for several years after the launch of PS5 and that it represented a huge business opportunity for us,"

And this.. BOLD is the framing the article used for the statement:

One way to keep PS4 users engaged would be to make upcoming PS5 games playable on the older machine, just like Microsoft is proposing with its Xbox Series X games being playable on Xbox One. Yet Ryan says that's not something PlayStation is interested in doing.

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

So nothing Jim actually said committed to anything being exclusive other than 3d audio and the Dualsense... the article framed it as Jim announcing no cross-gen, when that didn't happen.

BUT.. the thing is.. they did this interview.. they let the article run.. they didn't correct it or any of the other misconceptions.. and they added to these misconceptions by marketing Spiderman MM and Horizon FW during the same time frame as though they weren't cross-gen.. waiting months to reveal they actually were.

Verdict: Perfectly fair to hold Jim and Sony accountable for this shit IMO.. it was all purposeful and Sony participated in the obfuscation of the truth.

Another verdict: The games are still going to be a fucking blast and be graphical showcases.. games for the most part are not actually going to change much this generation IMO.. despite all the talk.. we will be playing the same types of games for the most part.

IntentionalPun

I agree with a lot of what you said except that, there will be different type of gameplay... not right now but this gen
And what percentage of games do you think will actually have some new SSD-enabled gameplay?

I said "for the most part" because I think the majority of games aren't going to change much. Level designs not being limited will be the most consistent change I'm betting.. and that's awesome, but it's not going to change the games that much IMO..

Stuff like Ratchet barely moves the needle for me.. it's an action platformer... where you can jump between worlds quickly. It's essentially... "no load times, but with a small gameplay twist."

"Even bigger QTE fueled set pieces" also doesn't really move the needle for me lol

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

I put in a 10 hour sesh yesterday to finish up my evil play through of inFamous to get the Plat. I can’t get over how great the game feels at 60fps. I wish every game had included an uncapped framerate toggle so we could see this boost everywhere.

Cant decide what to do next. Finish Death Stranding, start playing Ghost of Tsushima, try Godfall, try Miles....decisions
does Death Stranding run at 60fps?

Top Bottom