• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Released 3 Years Ago Today!

MagnesD3

Huh? It absolutely fucking is the best version of the game.. PS3 version is utter jank trash.
Hah no, the artstyle is destroyed by the remake its completely off base from the intended vibe including the soundtrack as well. Bluepoint completely missed the point of the original. The demon souls remake is very generic fantasy looking in its art most of the time.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Hah no, the artstyle is destroyed by the remake its completely off base from the intended vibe including the soundtrack as well. Bluepoint completely missed the point of the original. The demon souls remake is very generic looking in its art most of the time.
I 100% agree with this, one of BIG reason i got in to FROM games in first place was their aesthetics, I'm not at big fan Bluepoint giving generic artstyle with just better textures.

I'm not alone on this..

MagnesD3

I 100% agree with this, one of BIG reason i got in to FROM games in first place was their aesthetics, I'm not at big fan Bluepoint giving generic artstyle with just better textures.

I'm not alone on this..

Demons Souls was in my top 10 before elden ring came along, its my second favorite from software game and one of the things that makes it so amazing besides its incredible megaman hub esk design is its atmosphere, its probably the best in the series, the only game that comes close to it in that is elden ring.

The artstyle and overall ost are critical to creating that incredible atmosphere so with the remake ruining it I have no interest in playing the inferior version.

I'm not alone on this..

The original Demons Souls looked like shit. It wasn't intentional, it's just the result.

I couldnt last 5 minutes into the original on PS3 it looked so awful. The remake was the complete opposite - absolutely stunning visuals that draws you into the experience more.

NikuNashi

I'm not alone on this..

60FPS.
English written translation on Japanese version. (Something that FROM didnt even manage in Elden Ring)

Forget personal art taste (I loved the bluepoint vrs) , the above two things make Demons Souls Remake an absolute must for me.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Demons Souls was in my top 10 before elden ring came along, its my second favorite from software game and one of the things that makes it so amazing besides its incredible megaman hub esk design is its atmosphere, its probably the best in the series, the only game that comes close to it in that is elden ring.

The artstyle and overall ost are critical to creating that incredible atmosphere so with the remake ruining it I have no interest in playing the inferior version.
This is why I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want Blupoint touching Bloodborne and putting their own generic artstyle.

Just give me simple remaster or update it for PS5 version....thats all I need.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

60FPS.
English written translation on Japanese version. (Something that FROM didnt even manage in Elden Ring)

Forget personal art taste (I loved the bluepoint vrs) , the above two things make Demons Souls Remake an absolute must for me.
Those two above things are definitely its redeeming factors but the loss of tone and atmosphere is far to great a sacrifice.

I DO NOT like Blupoints artstyle AT ALL. FROM's aesthetics why I like their games in the first place.

I even like Demons Souls original CGI opining more than the remake version.

I find this to me more unappealing and generic looking

1156542-demons-souls-playstation-3-taking-on-a-single-enemy-may-be-easy-.jpg

nial

Gold Member
The criticisms around DS remake are pretty fair, but to be honest, Demon's Souls 2009 is almost in the bottom when it comes to FromSoftware's (post-DS, at least) aesthetics and scenery, and ESPECIALLY compared to Bloodborne, Sekiro and Elden Ring. I mean, it looks good, pretty Ico-inspired, but it's that 7th gen color filter that really kills it.
Something I can give to the remake is that, at the end of the day, it has a good art style on its own too, I'll probably look at it in 7 years and still think it's very well done.
I'm still sad over the fact that we never got a remaster of the original version, but hey, it's Demon's Souls at 60fps, I'm fine with it.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

Been a whole lot of the same but with better graphics for their first party party stuff. But at least their gameplay is consistently solid. Also their games play just fine day 1. Spider-Man 2 was the worse from Sony in regards to bugs, but even that was mostly fine. I just wish they had better writers, because it’s getting pretty fucking bad. I doubt they care after the scores for SM2.

//DEVIL//

Miles Morales was a cross-gen launch title and TLOUP1 a remake, not exactly the same as the PS4 remaster.
Remake implies the gsme is using ps5 power like demon souls did. That was a true remake and it showed. last of Us remake is a lie and it's has nothing to do with a remake outside the title from Sony to fool people. Its using the last of us 2 engine which is a PS4 game engine. Even the graphics doesn't look much better than last of us 2 on ps5.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Such an excellent console with an absolutely phenomenal controller. Happy third birthday little guy! 🥰

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
3 years already wtf... I got mine on launch I think I had the most fun with Astro lol.
That’s cause that game fucking rules! I really really really really REALLY hope team asobi is working on a new Astro game.

Not the same. One is like if I threw a party for the day I built my pc every year.

The other is a company/service failure.

It's more like people are happy that the playstation brand is still around. That's pretty good news and just don't see anything wrong with doing that.

Unless you want the brand to die or something which is just bad for competition.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Got mine day one. Loved playing through demons souls and that Christmas with miles morales was awesome.

I was very happy with the launch but I think for me I've not really had the best time with it since. I think I preferred the following 3 years of my ps3 and ps4 more.

The ps5 has felt safe, far too safe and I miss the envelope pushing Sony.

But, happy bday ps5 I don't regret my purchase. Just, as a huge god of war fan. Ragnarok let me down.

Got mine day one. Loved playing through demons souls and that Christmas with miles morales was awesome.

I was very happy with the launch but I think for me I've not really had the best time with it since. I think I preferred the following 3 years of my ps3 and ps4 more.

The ps5 has felt safe, far too safe and I miss the envelope pushing Sony.

But, happy bday ps5 I don't regret my purchase. Just, as a huge god of war fan. Ragnarok let me down.

I wouldn't say the consoles design is safe. Heck they even took risks designing the controller. If they didn't nail handling varible clocks or did a good job with the Dualsense it could have ended badly for them. Still remember how the variable clocks was supposed to be some huge mistake but thankfully it wasn't one for them.

Then again I think your talking about the software which your correct in a way. But playing it safe with some titles also helped the PS5s console and software sales so it wasn't necessarily all bad.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Sony just delivered from the start instead of chest-beating that they would destroy the competition in all areas. They are the only once that shown next-gen from launch.

At the same time it feels like they still need to start releasing full next-gen games.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Good console, especially 2023 has been awesome.

Still prolly the most unimpressive gen so far. Same games we’ve been playing on PS3+4, just with better graphics.

Well, it was doomed to happen once. Just glad I lived to see the early days.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Maybe it's my memory or nostalgia but it seems like these 3 years were the worst first 3 years for Sony first party ever. Sequels, remakes, cross-gen everywhere I look.

I might be the biggest modern FF hater on earth I've hated every FF game after X.....I didn't even like the Advent Children movie that series is basically dead to me
Fair enough. I too have a friend that hates anything FF with a burning passion and surprisingly we still get along well XD. Helps that he loves other Japanese made games though (jrpgs, character action, VNs, etc.)

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Maybe it's my memory or nostalgia but it seems like these 3 years were the worst first 3 years for Sony first party ever. Sequels, remakes, cross-gen everywhere I look.
PS3 was rough for years. PS4 had nothing but inFamous and Bloodborne for like 3 years. I remember because I played Ground Zeroes like 50x because that was basically all I had.

That whole time my mains were Wii U and 3DS.

this picture is a lie.

Last of us Part 1 ? uncharted ? Ghost of T ? Spider man Remaster and MM ? FF7 remake ? Death standing ?? lol

All these games were PS4 games. they are ports to PS5. and not even a port worth praise or even true to the PS5 power.
TLOU Part 1 should be on that list. I don't know what you're talking about.
Spider-Man Remastered is not available on PS4. FF7 Remake doesn't have all its content on PS4, same for Death Stranding i think?

About the "true power of the PS5"...most games this gen still don't reach the heights of TLOU2 from PS4 so i don't really see why that matters. Generations aren't what they used to be nowadays.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
PS3 was rough for years. PS4 had nothing but inFamous and Bloodborne for like 3 years. I remember because I played Ground Zeroes like 50x because that was basically all I had.

That whole time my mains were Wii U and 3DS.

Maybe. I still think PS4 was much, much better. Uncharted 4, DriveClub, Ratchet & Clank reboot, The Order 1866, Until Dawn, Journey and in few short months after the '3 years old' we got stuff like The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Horizon: Zero Dawn (February 2017). Loads of quality games that could only be played on PS4. That console was amazing.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Maybe. I still think PS4 was much, much better. Uncharted 4, DriveClub, Ratchet & Clank reboot, The Order 1866, Until Dawn, Journey and in few short months after the '3 years old' we got stuff like The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Horizon: Zero Dawn (February 2017). Loads of quality games that could only be played on PS4. That console was amazing.
I rank PS5 as my worst console purchase in my entire history of gaming. The only exclusives I purchased are Demon's Souls, Miles Morales and Ragnarok (didn't finish Miles or Ragnarok).

But my main point is just that PS3, and PS4 definitely had stronger 2nd halves in terms of software. Hoping that's the case here too. I 100% remember early PS4 being a barren wasteland. There were articles about how nobody expected the thing to even sell since everyone actually thought mobile and Angry Birds were going to kill the console industry. There are literally tons of publishers that started making games for it late because they were actually surprised it took off like it did. Wii U was crushing it at this time, but only 10 million people knew it.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The PS4 is still getting games too. I got my PS5 day 1 from Target. I was so excited. Godfall was a huge tease and had very generic level design. I regret buying it. It still feels young. I still have memories of Kingdom Hearts 3, RDR2, GoT, and GoW on PS4. I have some great memories with RE7, ER, DeS, and etc. The PS5 has been great, but I think it needs more time. It feels like they’ve barely had anything to remember in 15-20 years besides maybe a handful of games.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I rank PS5 as my worst console purchase in my entire history of gaming. The only exclusives I purchased are Demon's Souls, Miles Morales and Ragnarok (didn't finish Miles or Ragnarok).

But my main point is just that PS3, and PS4 definitely had stronger 2nd halves in terms of software. Hoping that's the case here too. I 100% remember early PS4 being a barren wasteland. There were articles about how nobody expected the thing to even sell since everyone actually thought mobile and Angry Birds were going to kill the console industry. There are literally tons of publishers that started making games for it late because they were actually surprised it took off like it did. Wii U was crushing it at this time, but only 10 million people knew it.

First year+ was terrible but that was just a by-product of not having a cross-gen games like we have now. I mean just look at this:

PS4 games: Death Stranding, Final Fantasy VII remake, Ghost of Tsushima, Gran Turismo 7, God of War Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West, Spider-Man, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Uncharted 4.

Remakes of PS4 games: The Last of Us Part I

Remakes of PS3 games: Demon's Souls

PS5 games: Final Fantasy XVI, Spider-Man 2, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Returnal

Misc: Atro's Playroom, Horizon: Call of The Mountain

Drizzlehell

Banned
Geez, time flies by so fast. I can still remember watching the reveal with my friends and then signing up for preorders together. And then realizing that shortages would make it difficult to get it for Christmas. I was so hyped to play Miles Morales during a Christmas break.

Kikorin

I pre-ordered it, but took so much months before beeing available that I've seen the line-up and luckily had been in time to cancel my pre-order. Now I'll buy it in next months for cheaper and hopefully with a strong line-up incoming.

Crazy that has been 3yrs already tho.

First year+ was terrible but that was just a by-product of not having a cross-gen games like we have now. I mean just look at this:

PS4 games: Death Stranding, Final Fantasy VII remake, Ghost of Tsushima, Gran Turismo 7, God of War Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West, Spider-Man, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Uncharted 4.

Remakes of PS4 games: The Last of Us Part I

Remakes of PS3 games: Demon's Souls

PS5 games: Final Fantasy XVI, Spider-Man 2, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Returnal

Misc: Atro's Playroom, Horizon: Call of The Mountain
So cross gen games are PS4 games cause reasons? Spider-Man Remastered is literally a PS5 release, Death Stranding, FFVII Remake, GT7 and Forbidden West have actual content not available on PS4. It's more than just a graphics update.

Demon's Souls remake is a PS5 game. Just like TLOUP1 is a PS5 game.

I seriously don't see people calling Resident Evil 4 Remake a Gamecube game...but anything for that narrative to work i guess.

And what's "misc" and how is that relevant? Can i play Astro's Playroom in any other platform? It's a game with an actual platinum trophy, multiple levels, etc...just because it's not a 100 hour game doesn't mean it's any less. Multiple indie games are shorter than that and no one complains.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So cross gen games are PS4 games cause reasons? Spider-Man Remastered is literally a PS5 release, Death Stranding, FFVII Remake, GT7 and Forbidden West have actual content not available on PS4. It's more than just a graphics update.

I seriously don't see people calling Resident Evil 4 Remake a Gamecube game...but anything for that narrative to work i guess.

And what's "misc" and how is that relevant? Can i play Astro's Playroom in any other platform? It's a game with an actual platinum trophy, multiple levels, etc...just because it's not a 100 hour game doesn't mean it's any less. Multiple indie games are shorter than that and no one complains.

Astro's Playroom is a tech demo and the other one is a VR game. Good little game, you can include it as "PS5 exclusives" but that will only highlight even more how pathetic content exclusive to PS5 is.

If that's the case, then in comparison with 3 years of PS4 we can include stuff like The Last of Us 1 Remaster, Uncharted 1, 2 and 3 collection, LittleBigPlanet 3, God of War III Remastered, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and more.

Shit first 3 years, no matter how you look at it. And 2024 is not looking too hot either, at least from what was revealed.

Top Bottom